Author Topic: Deluxe Starter Kit for DSi Review  (Read 945 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Deluxe Starter Kit for DSi Review
« on: October 03, 2010, 05:06:07 AM »

Almost everything you need for gaming on the go.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/24012

I recently had an opportunity to to field-test Memorex’s new DSi accessories during an outing. As it turns out, they’re quite useful, and came in very handy while on the road. If you’re looking for a good travel kit for your DSi, Memorex has you covered.

The DSi Deluxe Kit ($29.99) contains several accessories: screen protectors, a microfiber cloth, three multicolored styli, a car charger, headphones, and a clear plastic system shell. You can also buy a Travel Kit ($14.99), containing all of that apart from the system shell, which is a somewhat alarming price difference, nice as the shell is. There’s also a separate car charger ($9.99) with a split end - one side is for the standard DSi/XL, and the other is for the DS Lite. Handy!

Screen protectors are always appreciated, but neither the Deluxe Kit nor the Travel Kit comes with a plastic or cardboard card to apply them - I had to rely on my credit card and a little luck to get the protectors on air-bubble free. I’ve accrued quite a collection of microfiber cloths over my handheld gaming career, and I can safely say that the Memorex cloth is not top-tier but it’s not bad, either. The microfiber cloth you use to clean your glasses is still best for the handheld's screens.

Lots of stuff in this here box.

I really liked the car charger. It’s small, and the cord is long enough that I could've sat in the back of the car and still had the DSi plugged in. I also really liked the headphones, possibly because I’d never had DS headphones before, but they are lightweight and comfortable, with angled earbuds that point directly into your ear canal. The headphones are a godsend in the car but I also like using them at night while my wife is reading and doesn’t want to be bothered by game music.

You can put your weed in there.

The system shell is unique. When you get that sucker out of the plastic, it feels loose, but it fits securely over the top and bottom of the system and has no problem staying on. Getting the shell off isn’t the easiest thing in the world, as you must pry apart the hinge to separate the halves. Almost every hole and port on the DSi remains uncovered - the only strange exception is the stylus slot. The solution? A sliding drawer on the bottom of the system shell holds three games and an extra stylus. I actually love the drawer because there’s never a vacation where I need more than four games, and a system shell takes up a lot less room than the a separate game holder.

This cord was made for chargin'...and that's just what it'll do.

While I can’t necessarily say that anything in this kit is better than the competition, it is nice to have everything together in one place. The lack of an application card for the screen protectors is unfortunate, and you’d think a travel kit would include some kind of pouch for all the accessories (charger, system shell + system, headphones). As it stands, however, it’s a nice deal.

I’m going to have to suggest you forego the Deluxe Kit, as the system shell by itself is certainly not worth fifteen extra bucks. The Travel Kit, though, is an awfully good deal.

They're so tiny!
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: Deluxe Starter Kit for DSi Review
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 10:34:26 AM »
There’s also a separate car charger ($9.99) with a split end - one side is for the standard DSi, and the other is for the DSi XL.

Wha?  The DSi and DSiXL take the same charger...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 02:48:35 PM »
Perhaps he meant to say the DS Lite and DSi?

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 03:17:20 PM »
Yes! I meant Lite. Thanks, guys. I'll edit the main text.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 07:09:19 PM »
Ah, okay.  I've got a USB charger that lets me charge my DS, DS lite and either my DSi or my XL all at once (and, in theory, a PSP).  I wish it let me charge all four at once - that'd be great.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.