Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1197101 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #3025 on: November 01, 2014, 08:34:58 PM »

So I finally have a way to watch more current shows than what is on Netflix/Amazon so I have been cranking out on a lot of current shows.

finally got up on BT?

Finished Season 2 of Arrow and plan to start S3 soon. I liked the build up to the season climax and the action but there was just too much dialogue and unnecessary drama. I liked the first half better than the second half of the season. A little worried about S3 from the comments I have been reading but I will stick with it for now.

Arrow S2 starts strong, and then loses it towards the finale. The last 2-3 eps of S2 were low points of the season, and that sux, becuase it's the season finale.

Watched the first episode of Agents of Shield. I like the potential but it seemed to drag a lot. I know S1 is a bit of a drag but I plan to knuckle through it all for the later pay-off. (BnM- I'd like to see that watch list you mentioned, might do that with my wife and watch it all on my own).
I will dig that up for you and post it here.

Plan to get watching Flash and Gotham soon as well. My wife is completely getting into the super hero shows thanks to Arrow and the Marvel/Avengers films so I might be getting through it all more slowly as we have to watch them together. I might pick out one to watch on my own and then re-watch later (thinking Gotham solo and watch Flash together since it is closely tied to Arrow).

Yes, watch Gotham on your own, and The Flash same time as S3 of Arrow with your wife.
They are having a big cross over soon, and have already had a very minor one this past week.

I am enjoying S5 of Walking Dead, but I feel there is a bit too much exposition (felt the same about the second half of S4). Maybe it is just me, but I'm growing tired of exposition in TV shows. I understand it in a pilot or season opener to a point but we are getting a bit too much for my likings in a lot of shows these days. Why does everything have to make a "deep" statement on life? Just let a show be a fun ride. I have a theory that Darryl will be forced to choose between Beth and Carol and Carol will sacrifice herself so that Darryl won't be forced to choose.[/font]

I only continue to watch TWD because I feel invested in a payoff at this point. It's not terrible, but it's not all that good either. It's low on my excitement meter, but that's only because I have so many better/more exciting shows to watch before it.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: November 01, 2014, 08:42:35 PM »
When I get my wife through the Dark Knight Trilogy I might take her through Gotham so she could better appreciate the Batman lore but judging from people's reviews I won't have a problem re-watching it with her at a later date.

Flash and Arrow sound like they will be a good hand-in-hand viewing.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: November 01, 2014, 09:04:29 PM »
here is a list from io9
http://io9.com/which-episodes-you-must-watch-to-catch-up-on-agents-of-1572676925
(minor spoilers in episode descriptions)

To avoid spoilers:
Episodes 1, 6, 10-11, 13-end.
TWS tie in happens at episode 16, so make sure she watches TWS just before it.

I believe some would throw in ep 4 and possibly even ep 12.
so a complete list would be Episodes: 1, 4, 6, 10-22 (while watching TWS before ep 16).

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: November 01, 2014, 09:15:16 PM »
Wow, that is a lot of gaps in the early part of the season. Glad that the show has found it's footing and I'm excited to delve into it further.
My Game Collection

« Reply #3029 on: November 02, 2014, 12:36:44 AM »
I am loving Gotham but it takes too long to get to the next episode so if it ties into Arrow and Flash I might just get into those to shows to hold me over waiting for the next Gotham,

a page or so back I mentioned losing interest in TWD and I was called a weirdo glad to know I am not entirely alone in that sentiment.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3030 on: November 04, 2014, 02:47:14 AM »
Gotham had no ties to the Arrowverse (Arrow and The Flash). Completely standalone.

Tonite episode of Gotham was another good one.
Penguin and Fish Mooney are just enjoying their roles far too much, and I'm enjoying the show more and more because of it.

Penguin is bringing it though. "Honk Honk"

« Reply #3031 on: November 04, 2014, 08:13:31 AM »
I see, still I did check out Arrow and Flash. I could get into Flash more than Arrow, I read his comics and I liked the show from the 90's. I only watched the pilots of each and I can see right off how those two are connected. Penguin was always my favorite villain growing up, until Batman Returns ruined the character for a while. I am loving how he is owning this show.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: November 08, 2014, 09:49:00 AM »
I got caught up with all of rebels and bought the season pass. This show is way better than Clone Wars so far and honestly should be a hour long compared to being half an hour. My favorite two episodes so far have been the last two the first one bringing in the Inquisitor and the second one at the imperial academy

3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #3033 on: November 09, 2014, 10:57:17 PM »
BnM:  I think I have to disagree with you about the Arrow season finale and the final episodes.  I like what they did with the series, and the only mistep was the silly twist with his Queen Consolidated CO-CEO.  I thought that was unnecessary. 

But I like how he tricks and beats Slade.  I thought the story worked.  There was obviously some things that didn't need to be there, because it was setting up season 3...but you must have that.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: November 10, 2014, 12:41:24 AM »
But all the Mirakuru soldiers and Slade were nerfed by the end.
the drone attack....
Slade's real motivation :/
and even more I can't remember off the top of my head just really dipped the enthusiasm in the final 3 eps. Doesn't help that S3 didn't start like it was on fire like S2 did. Still waiting for it to pick up the intensity to previous seasons levels. Seems like The Flash has all the momentum right now.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #3035 on: November 10, 2014, 12:50:08 AM »
Yes.  But you could explain that by the idea that it wasn't a perfect Mirakuru blend...and as always that is how it always happens in every Super Hero story. 

Season Threes opening was possibly the worst episode of television I had ever seen.  It was like opening with a resolution.  However, Episode 2 picked up the feel of the show and started being great again. 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: November 10, 2014, 01:17:38 AM »
I think only good things so far in S3 have been Nyssa, Thea and Felicity's mom.
honorable mention to Malcolm Merlyn too.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: November 10, 2014, 02:56:38 AM »
I think only good things so far in S3 have been Nyssa, Thea and Felicity's mom.
honorable mention to Malcolm Merlyn too.

Nyssa is always great. I think the issue, for me, is compared to say POI there is a narrow set of storylines going whereas POI had multiple bubbling along and then picked one to blow up resulting in that insane HR arc.

That said, i'm stunned that Emily Bett Rickards (Felicity) is 23. I'm not sure if this makes sense, but... she doesn't look old but she looks real mature for her age too. Thea is the same age but doesn't give that look off.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: November 10, 2014, 09:40:36 AM »
Thea looks like a teenager.  Felicity doesn't but they want to always put her in some dress.  You rarely see her wear pants and frankly her particular role pants would be the norm.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: November 10, 2014, 06:20:47 PM »
Felicity is a woman who would catch my eye. Perfect blend of class and nerd. Thea in a "sexy" outfit turns me off. She pulls off the whiny kid sister role really well because I have never found her attractive.
My Game Collection

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #3040 on: November 10, 2014, 06:37:24 PM »
I got caught up with all of rebels and bought the season pass. This show is way better than Clone Wars so far and honestly should be a hour long compared to being half an hour. My favorite two episodes so far have been the last two the first one bringing in the Inquisitor and the second one at the imperial academy

I am quite surprised with how good Rebels is as well.  There are definitely some things they need to change going into season 2, to make it more focused and mature.  However, the are actually slight changes.  I disagree with wanting it to be an hour long.  Shorter episodes allow the writers to tell the story quickly without some of the needed fluff to fill out an hour long.  As well, I think pacing could suffer because the character develop for a children's cartoon would have to become more of the focus for an hour long instead of the action in the story. 

That said, look at the new TMNT series and Korra to see how you can tell a slower nuanced story over a larger season of half hour episodes.  I am always impressed by what you can accomplish in a short focused episode.  I kinda wish more series would try the 30 minute continued story model, including live action dramas...that sometimes fill their seasons with filler episodes just to get to that magic 24 episode count.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #3041 on: November 10, 2014, 06:41:36 PM »
Felicity is a woman who would catch my eye. Perfect blend of class and nerd. Thea in a "sexy" outfit turns me off. She pulls off the whiny kid sister role really well because I have never found her attractive.

The only thing I can't buy is how Felicity isn't taken by anyone.  She is by far the most attractive woman on that show.  Incredibly intelligent and is one of the few characters written with a personality people would want to hang out with, and with a heart.  She is the most identifiable character.  Sarah and  Laurel Lance aren't that attractive to me, both personality wise or appearance.  They don't even really fit the idea of "bad girl" attractive.  I basically have to assume that Oliver just has extremely poor taste in women.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: November 10, 2014, 07:31:01 PM »
That is actually an issue I have with the show as well. I chalk it up to his old way of life taking hold from time to time. But it is a bit off when the actor has banged virtually every available "attractive" woman on the show. Makes the show less like a superhero show and more like a soap opera/drama. I blame CW for that offense.
My Game Collection

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: November 10, 2014, 07:52:24 PM »
That is actually an issue I have with the show as well. I chalk it up to his old way of life taking hold from time to time. But it is a bit off when the actor has banged virtually every available "attractive" woman on the show. Makes the show less like a superhero show and more like a soap opera/drama. I blame CW for that offense.

But a superhero show is a soap Opera/Drama.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: November 10, 2014, 08:50:36 PM »
I would rather there be more action and less relationship drama.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3045 on: November 10, 2014, 08:53:46 PM »

The only thing I can't buy is how Felicity isn't taken by anyone.  She is by far the most attractive woman on that show.  Incredibly intelligent and is one of the few characters written with a personality people would want to hang out with, and with a heart.  She is the most identifiable character.  Sarah and  Laurel Lance aren't that attractive to me, both personality wise or appearance.  They don't even really fit the idea of "bad girl" attractive.  I basically have to assume that Oliver just has extremely poor taste in women.

Umm... Nyssa Al Ghul (Katrina Law) is above Felicity

Thea Queen (Willa Holland )w/ her new haircut is above Felicity...

but just barely (that lip bump/mole is distracting though - Momma Queen also had it)

Even Shado was hotter than Felicity

Huntress - She is hotter than Felicity too. I didn't really like her character much, but if I had to choose on looks alone... sorry Felicity.

Felicity is only hot (as a blonde) with her hair up, and usually with glasses. "Goth"icity was pretty hot with the hair down and no glasses though, but that might just be my slight bias against blondes....
The boob window dresses certainly don't hurt though.

Laurel used to be hotter, but not as Laurel, funny enough as the blonde Ruby on Supernatural. Go Figure. She was pretty s1 of Arrow, but her face took a transformation in s2 and it still looks a little different. I would repost the images I made (edit: found them), but they are kinda mean spirited, even if kinda funny at the time.

Sarah "pucker up" Canary... yeah, no. She probably only got points because she was a badass chick. could probably take the pain *wink wink*, flexible, athletic, no emotional connections, business first play later, and could handle her own... and you too.

Isabel Rochev (Summer Glau)... I find the actress pretty, but she is like the kiss of death on every show she is on. Maybe that is why Arrow is at a low point right now. Still shaking off that Glau effect.
That Ravager costume she had puts her below Sarah though.

I would rather there be more action and less relationship drama.

But this is The CW buddy. There is a pretty people and relationship drama quotient that needs to be reached in each and every show.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 08:57:09 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: November 11, 2014, 11:51:34 AM »
I find Felicity attractive enough except she's not really a Dress girl.  If they let her dress more naturally some I find her more attactive.  Thea is sort of mixed.  Like the above picture is good but then her injured freckled look I'll pass on.

Laura... no that Chin kills it.
Not into Huntress and Sarah had her moments but just felt to butch for me.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: November 11, 2014, 03:18:37 PM »
Speaking of Felicity, does anyone think that she might have been doing some weights on the quiet?  Her arms seem very solid lately.  I wonder if they have any plans for her.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: November 13, 2014, 02:09:24 PM »
[Arrow]
I know Arrow is currently my #4 comic show, trailing all newcomers (excerpt Constantine... because I have yet to watch any of it outside the leaked 1st ep.), but they have finally done it.

They have finally figured out how to use the one trick arrow we've all been waiting to see.

The Boxing Glove Arrow

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: November 13, 2014, 02:41:33 PM »
Sort of curious how many takes that took.