Author Topic: What do you want with the Wii U virtual console.  (Read 11459 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: What do you want with the Wii U virtual console.
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2013, 10:44:56 AM »
We're not going to get every game day one, but I at least hope to see them released pretty quickly. The 3DS VC doesn't give me much hope, though.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2013, 12:29:51 PM »
For Wii U Virtual Console:
- Every game having an off-TV play option.
- Every Wii Virtual Console game brought over, and expanded upon to include new games.
- More extensive releases in the "Arcade" section.
- Nintendo DS titles.

A little off-topic, but i'd really like to see Wii game re-releases either on the e-shop or Wii U virtual console.  I find it ridiculous that games like Xenoblade isn't available digitally, and consumers are forced to fork out ridiculous prices on a physical copy that I assume wouldn't be terribly difficult to make available digitally.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2013, 12:39:16 PM »
We're not going to get every game day one, but I at least hope to see them released pretty quickly. The 3DS VC doesn't give me much hope, though.

It doesn't give me much hope, either. I don't get the impression that Nintendo has had any real plans for VC since WiiWare launched.  And given that the Wii U launched with its own version of WiiWare (i.e. the eShop Indie games), I don't see that changing any time soon.  But seriously, if Nintendo's going to spend the next few years just trickling out games they've already released on the Wii Virtual Console instead of releasing new VC titles, then they might as well not even bother.  No one's excited at the prospect of only re-buying a portion of their old games.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2013, 12:47:44 PM »
I don't think Nintendo expected the Virtual Console to be as popular as it is. They were using it as a way to fill a digital release schedule that would go away once there was original software, but then everyone loved it and largely didn't give a **** about WiiWare and then Nintendo didn't know what to do.

Nintendo doesn't want VC sales to cut into eShop sales, which is smart for them because while VC is basically free money for them, third party eShop support will dry up if people are buying Virtual Console games instead of the new stuff. It's not a good idea on their end to release all of them at once, but they need to do better than the "one game a month" policy they currently seem to be implementing on the 3DS.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2013, 12:54:36 PM »
I don't think Nintendo expected the Virtual Console to be as popular as it is. They were using it as a way to fill a digital release schedule that would go away once there was original software, but then everyone loved it and largely didn't give a **** about WiiWare and then Nintendo didn't know what to do.

I didn't stop giving a **** about WiiWare because of the virtual console.  I stopped giving a **** because it was a complete mess to navigate the WiiWare menus, and every good game was hidden by an overflow of shovelware games.

Worse than that even is that it seems near-impossible to find gaming outlets that extensively covered WiiWare games after the first year or so, which makes it terrible trying to determine what games may be worth your money.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2013, 12:55:05 PM »
Oh, also I really doubt Nintendo has any serious claim to Blastcorp and Jet Force Gemini considering what happened with Killer Instinct and Perfect Dark.

I agree that Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini are long shots, but it just seems weird to me that if Microsoft does have the rights to them, they've done nothing with them.  They put out XBLA versions of the two Banjo-Kazooies and Perfect Dark (and Conker had an Xbox port), but they've left Jet Force Gemini and Blast Corps alone when those kinds of games (one being an arcade-style demolition game and the other a 3rd person shooter) would probably do well on XBLA.  It makes me wonder if Nintendo somehow retained those licenses due to publishing deals.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2013, 01:21:40 PM »
Oh, also I really doubt Nintendo has any serious claim to Blastcorp and Jet Force Gemini considering what happened with Killer Instinct and Perfect Dark.

I agree that Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini are long shots, but it just seems weird to me that if Microsoft does have the rights to them, they've done nothing with them.  They put out XBLA versions of the two Banjo-Kazooies and Perfect Dark (and Conker had an Xbox port), but they've left Jet Force Gemini and Blast Corps alone when those kinds of games (one being an arcade-style demolition game and the other a 3rd person shooter) would probably do well on XBLA.  It makes me wonder if Nintendo somehow retained those licenses due to publishing deals.
Its really easy to know why.  They have a fanbase but it is very small.  Both of those games different Core Mechanics don't really lend themselves to a modern equivalent.  They were Quirks when they released. 

With Halo, Uncharted, Tomb Raider Etc.  What place could Jet Force Gemini Hold?  Its not time for it to come back.

Now I will say if things heat up with North Korea Blast Corp might see its way out as a Social Commentary game.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2013, 05:30:52 PM »
I think the VC is what the market wants but the industry does not want to give us.  In the GBA days Nintendo resold ports of old SNES games for the same price as new GBA titles like Advance Wars and Metroid Fusion and they also had the NES Classics line.  So then they go and give us this convenient download service where the old games are only a couple of bucks.  That's great for us but with the VC in place Nintendo can't really get away with that old GBA model.  The 3DS already has its share of N64 remakes and Nintendo is remaking Wind Waker.  It's harder to sell those if you can just buy the old game on the VC.  They don't want us to get the old games on a modern system for a cheap price.  They want us to buy full-price remakes.  The VC effectively LOWERED the perceived value of old games in the eyes of the consumer and Nintendo probably thinks that was a mistake on their part.

I hear good things about the OoT remake on the 3DS but a big part of the value of that game is to have a handheld version of it.  If the VC version of the game was available on your 3DS would you buy the remake or just pay the lower price for the VC version?  A big chunk of the value of the port is taken away.  From a consumer convenience perspective does it make even the slightest sense for the 3DS to have its own VC?  Realistically you just want an overall Nintendo VC that is the same for the 3DS, Wii and Wii U.  They don't allow that on purpose.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2013, 07:50:11 PM »
I would love to see a Playstation Plus style system for the Virtual Console.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2013, 11:55:07 PM »
I want to see Nintendo actively releasing more games per week.  I do not want to see this dumb trickle of games...but I want to see a game a week for each console, every week until the library of available games is out...and that is the bare minimum.  They should probably do more than 2 games a week per system....for Nintendo systems.  Then focus on a Nintendo published game and a 3rd party game each week for each system.  And perhaps for Sega Systems a Sega published game and a 3rd party game each week. 

I want to see Nintendo aggressively pursuing 3rd parties to release their classics.  I love the old school sports games and would rather play classic Madden than real Madden.   So lets try to get some of those games out. 

Finally, I would like for Nintendo to figure out a means to have online multiplayer for those games that have multiplayer.

Offline Dow Jones

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2013, 11:56:06 PM »
The launch lineup looks like ****. I may get Super Mario World for the zillionth time but I already have Balloon Fight, F-Zero, Ice Climbers, Kirby, and DK Jr. on both VCs. I'm hoping there's more than 2 games added per week like they used to do.
I'm looking forward to any new VC releases that weren't on the Wii or 3DS and Earthbound. I will end up buying a lot of stuff that transfers over from Wii though if the price is right. And I hope they have sales and maybe discounts for Premium Deluxe owners.
Add Me!

NNID: skyeevans
3DS: 5370-0428-0148
PSN: dowjonesreno
Tumblr: theskyefiles
Twitter: dowjonesreno
XBL: skyeevans

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2013, 12:29:13 AM »
I'm looking forward to any new VC releases that weren't on the Wii or 3DS and Earthbound.
Hmm. I wonder if they have one game that is still not on VC.

But it has to be in a series that is relevant. A game from this series has to come out this year. Or even two games in a series!

Oh and this character has to be green. 'cause you know, Year of Luigi.

Hmm, i wonder if any game fits all these requirements.

Hmmmmmm.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2013, 12:43:40 AM »
I would like Gamecube, Saturn and Dreamcast games.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2013, 01:42:25 AM »
Exactly.  Nintendo failed.  And FAILED big time.

These are games already released.  They should of had 10 games for each console represented...and Nintendo should have already got rights to all the previous virtual console systems.

Nintendo should have launched with a strong line up

10 NES
10 SNES
10 Genesis
10 Neo Geo
10 Arcade
10 Sega Master Systems

That would have been one hell of a statement.  Then 3 each week Nintendo should release 2 games for each of those systems.  These games were released once already and already available to play via Wii virtual console, they are not new and should not be treated like Nintendo is doing us a favor by launching them AGAIN. 

Now, I am not saying put all 10 of the most requested and best games.  But at least put 2 of them per system and then 8 other games...and actively try to have games never released before. 

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2013, 05:45:19 PM »
I wanted the existing catalogue to be uploaded as quickly as possible so that new releases would come sooner, but it looks like that won't be happening.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2013, 09:01:33 PM »
And I hope they have sales and maybe discounts for Premium Deluxe owners.

Not the biggest deal, but Premium owners who upgrade their Wii Virtual Console games to Wii U versions will get 9 points per NES game and 14 points per SNES game. So that is one bonus and another incentive to upgrade.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2013, 09:10:36 PM »
Um, your math is off.  10 points for NES games and 15 for SNES games.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2013, 09:16:22 PM »
Um, your math is off.  10 points for NES games and 15 for SNES games.

I'm going by what Nintendo says on their website (http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/downloads/virtual-console):

"*Games purchased at the special reduced price are worth 9 points per NES title and 14 points per Super NES title in the Deluxe Digital Program. Point value subject to change. "
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
Um, I'm going by the amount I was actually given for upgrading SMW.

Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2013, 11:43:27 AM »
Then someone on Nintendo's website team fucked up and needs to fix it on their site.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2013, 12:27:22 PM »
Um, maybe you just shouldn't blindly believe and repeat everything you read on the internet.

That's how you end up making really stupid comments.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2013, 12:38:04 PM »
It's not like it's a unreliable source like Kotaki, it's Nintendo's own website. So blame Nintendo. You would think you can trust Nintendo about Nintendo stuff.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2013, 03:43:03 PM »
Um, trust, but verify.

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2013, 10:31:01 AM »
The first three Custom Robo games and Fire Emblems 1-6 and 12

I will pay for the translation efforts myself if necessary

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2013, 11:23:39 AM »
Fire Emblems 1-6 and 12

12? Fire Emblem Awakening is the 11th game in the series.