Author Topic: Fire Emblem Awakening  (Read 14370 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Fire Emblem Awakening
« on: April 05, 2013, 12:08:10 AM »
so... with little over a week to rub it into those euro jerks... lets talk fire emblem

am I the only one put off by the blue glow on the outrealms characters... also I hate that swordmasters got nerfed so badly, and why is it archers/snipers are the only ones that can use longbows,

one of the child characters(not saying who) starts as a knight and has(for me)  amazing speed growth, Its awesome...

but I love the class system in general so :/

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem Awakening
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 11:43:31 AM »
I know nothing about the past games but I love this one to death! It's too bad people at NWR don't discuss the games they currently play much. Everyone is worried about spoilers so unless its a new Mario or Zelda we barely talk about anything but theories, hopes, dreams and the past.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 08:23:33 AM »
Is it still a case of the good guys being beautiful models and the baddies being deformed and ugly people?
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 01:53:50 PM »
Is it still a case of the good guys being beautiful models and the baddies being deformed and ugly people?
eh... somewhat yeah,

Offline Dow Jones

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 02:35:49 PM »
I think the game is perfect (apart from being so long). But I love it for what it is. It's the first game I've played after quitting Sacred Stones because I couldn't get into that one too much. I wish more people in my area played it so I could StreetPass with them.
Add Me!

NNID: skyeevans
3DS: 5370-0428-0148
PSN: dowjonesreno
Tumblr: theskyefiles
Twitter: dowjonesreno
XBL: skyeevans

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 10:02:01 PM »
I think the game is perfect (apart from being so long). But I love it for what it is. It's the first game I've played after quitting Sacred Stones because I couldn't get into that one too much. I wish more people in my area played it so I could StreetPass with them.
I hear streetpass is somewhat broken anyway, and this is in line with sacred stones so...

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 01:36:44 AM »
I still don't understand street pass or rather I never bothered to see what it was.

And see? Like I said, NWR doesn't talk about any story driven games until like 4 years later.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 02:14:21 AM »
For the love of dog give me the game already!

SHHHIIIBBBAAATTTAAA!
Gouge away.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 08:56:10 PM »
Apparently I am a Euro jerk since I have to wait another week.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 02:48:54 PM »
Finally gotten around to starting the game; reached chapter 10 so far and here's a couple of my thoughts:

Not enough random battles :(.  You'll have to purchase maps (DLC) just to get everyone up to the same levels.  No arena that I come across which sucks because I need the gold as well.

Critical hits are always a pain in the arse.  I always seem to get them at the wrong time.

I ended up restarting the game in casual mode, think I'll go back and try hardcore during new game+. ----

--------------------------------------------

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 03:04:06 PM »
Finally gotten around to starting the game; reached chapter 10 so far and here's a couple of my thoughts:

Not enough random battles :( .  You'll have to purchase maps (DLC) just to get everyone up to the same levels.  No arena that I come across which sucks because I need the gold as well.

I'm not really sure why you would need to have all your characters at the same level. Aren't those kinds of difficult decisions an important part of the game? With Fire Emblem you are challenged to find a balance between the sometimes antagonistic goals of having a well rounded squad (i.e. levelling up weaker characters) while also having a force which is capable of surviving and making it to the next chapter. Of the two Fire Emblem games I've played, Sacred Stones and Radiant Dawn, I found that by the end there was a huge chasm between certain characters. It wasn't necessarily a problem, it just meant that on certain maps I had to play defensively.

I guess we all play differently, however.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 03:07:12 PM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 05:59:20 PM »

Not enough random battles.  You'll have to purchase maps (DLC) just to get everyone up to the same levels.  No arena that I come across which sucks because I need the gold as well.
eh, if you are playing on normal reeking boxes are a cheep way to get these things, otherwise use stuff from the bonus box... you can get the exponential growth set of DLC if you are having trouble
Critical hits are always a pain in the arse.  I always seem to get them at the wrong time.
yeah true, to be honest i have mostly avoided that, i am assuming that you are playing on hard
I ended up restarting the game in casual mode, think I'll go back and try hardcore during new game+.
there is no new game +, but thank you for reminding me of something

Offline ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 10:03:07 PM »
Yeah just ran into a store that had Reeking Box so I ended up leveling up most of my characters to at least level 20 just so I can use master seals to get get class upgrades.

Have at least one of every class now minus a few like Bow Knight and those special classes that are locked in story mode.  I'm at mission 14 now after spending a few hours grinding.

If I really wanted to I could just have beaten the game with my "dream team" but I like mixing up my playing styles a bit and trying different classes--right now my best fighter is the thief Gaius--had to level him up since he started at an level three thief class.  Turned him into an assassin with high luck and speed making him extremely hard to hit.  With him and the tricksteer Anna my team is pretty much unstoppable. 

--------------

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 03:31:15 AM »
I'll be getting this game next week, and my natural inclination is not to play on casual mode. Without having played it, it seems to me that playing on casual mode would remove much of the excitement of losing characters. Is there anyone out there who's willing to vouch for the default mode?
Gouge away.

Offline ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 08:16:14 AM »
Depends on if you ever played an FE game before.  Some maps are just death traps waiting to happen and you'll have to deal with the whole lucky dice roll. 

Think I perfer casual mode myself that way I can try out everyone without having to worry about their lack of experience and skill.

--------------------------------------------------------

Just ran into my first street pass team fight and got rolled.  Most of my party was lvl 22 (20 base class + 2 levels in masterclasses) but theirs was unknown other than the fact he/she didn't have a single masterclass (so I guessing they had reclassed a couple of times on the same characters).

Anyhow their lvl 3 (cough) thief pretty much killed my entire party without me taking 1/2 his HP.

----------------------------------------

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2013, 09:24:50 PM »
I'll be getting this game next week, and my natural inclination is not to play on casual mode. Without having played it, it seems to me that playing on casual mode would remove much of the excitement of losing characters. Is there anyone out there who's willing to vouch for the default mode?
the excitement of losing characters only takes you so far... after a while it becomes "oh @#$% i have to start over again and the boss is one hit from death..."

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2013, 10:38:10 PM »
I played Hard/Classic mode, and I loved every minute. Even the four hours worth of time lost in replaying chapters just to get them right. That's part of the charm for me, and I never once felt like I was wasting time. For me, I look at that as part of the strategy - in correcting myself for the redo.

So yes, the notion that I could lose a character stayed exciting from beginning to end.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Chad Sexington

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
    • UO Thief
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2013, 10:50:57 PM »
I started the game on Hard Casual mode and 2 hours in, I got the the Paralogue chapter where you have to keep the shepherd alive/level him up for him to join.

I attempted 3 times and then deleted my save and started over in Normal Casual mode.

Maybe 15 years ago I'd be up for the challenge, but not anymore I suppose.

>_>
12 years of Ultima Online - www.uothief.com - Twitter: @UOThief

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2013, 10:51:54 PM »
I played Hard/Classic mode, and I loved every minute. Even the four hours worth of time lost in replaying chapters just to get them right. That's part of the charm for me, and I never once felt like I was wasting time. For me, I look at that as part of the strategy - in correcting myself for the redo.

So yes, the notion that I could lose a character stayed exciting from beginning to end.
and then you get RNG screwed...

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2013, 05:15:23 AM »

the excitement of losing characters only takes you so far... after a while it becomes "oh @#$% i have to start over again and the boss is one hit from death..."

I started the game on Hard Casual mode and 2 hours in, I got the the Paralogue chapter where you have to keep the shepherd alive/level him up for him to join.

I attempted 3 times and then deleted my save and started over in Normal Casual mode.

In both those cases though, did you guys have to restart or did you choose to?

Gouge away.

Offline Chad Sexington

• View Profile
    • UO Thief
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2013, 06:12:31 AM »

I had to restart to get the experience I wanted out of the game.

But nice try. ^_^

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 06:15:26 AM »

But nice try. ^_^

The experience you wanted? So it was optional? I'm not trying to catch in some sort of trap, lol. I genuinely want to know.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 06:17:04 AM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline Chad Sexington

• View Profile
    • UO Thief
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2013, 06:18:38 AM »

But nice try. ^_^

The experience you wanted? So it was optional? I'm not trying to catch in some sort of trap, lol. I genuinely want to know.

Yes... losing a character does not result in a Game Over unless you lose 1 of the main characters.

This is a defining feature of the Fire Emblem series.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2013, 06:28:12 AM »

But nice try. ^_^

Ah, ok. I thought perhaps you were talking about one of those mission style chapters that Fire Emblem games have from time to time. Where the game requires you to do something within a given amount of moves or within a certain amount of time. I can imagine a scenario where a chapter might require you to level up a certain amount before you can proceed. That would be super frustrating.

Good to hear that's not the case though.
Gouge away.

Offline Chad Sexington

• View Profile
    • UO Thief
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2013, 09:25:14 AM »
Has anyone bought any of the maps (in-game)?  Are they worth it?

I just unlocked them and quickly browsed through them and I can see it all adding up real quick.