Author Topic: True Crime!  (Read 16002 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
True Crime!
« on: October 25, 2003, 07:52:39 AM »
I hope everyone will read the impressions I posted, as this is an interesting and very complex game.  In fact, there's so much to say that I am thinking about writing even more impressions or a preview update (facts only) before my review.

Also, if anyone has specific questions about the game, you can ask them here and I'll try to answer some of them.  And I'll answer the most obvious one right now:

Which is better, True Crime or Grand Theft Auto III/Vice City?

It's hard to answer because they are not as directly comparable as I thought they would be.  True Crime is more refined in every way, from graphics to fighting to story.  GTA is more open and encourages more exploration.  I'm a nut for finding secret packages and bonus missions, so I love all the exploration in GTA.  True Crime has some excellent fighting and shooting mechanics that blow away what you can do in GTA, and the storyline is a hundred times better.  So it really just depends on what you're looking for and what parts of GTA you like the best.    
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:True Crime!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2003, 07:58:23 AM »
I'm looking forward to it. i hope it sells well, it'll show we cubers can handle 'mature' games.  Maybe even GTA double pack will get released if it sells real well.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline bruceleefan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2003, 10:50:39 AM »
i just read on the net that SnoopDogg will also be an unlockable character. anyway..... but i seen a video of the xbox version and cube version and the xbox looks a lot better. cuz i got the dvd with the preorder. well, my question....when you fight in buildings, do you actually go in some of the buildings or does a cutscene come up? thanks.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2003, 11:09:23 AM »
You actually fight in the buildings.  So far I have had hand-to-hand battles in a dojo and a bar.  The bar had tons of breakable items, like stools and bottles and pinball machines.  And I've had a very tense stealth mission and subsequent shootout inside an importing warehouse.  This is just in the first part of the game, so I think there will be quite a few indoor environments total.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: True Crime! (Ask a question, get an answer)
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2003, 02:31:49 PM »
is there a PC version coming out? and if not can you turn the GCN version's sonudtrack off, basically im not into rap one iota, so being able to turn off the soundtrack would be a plus to me. also, do they use real vehicles or is it like GTA 3 where you have somewhat recognisable cars but with different names (ie deluxo is a delorian without gull wing doors)

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:True Crime! (Ask a question, get an answer)
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2003, 02:38:11 PM »
How well does the driving play? In Grand Theft Auto the driving was good enough to be a rcaing game in of itself (which Midnight Club basically is). I know they say True Crime isn't a driving game, but it's made by the same people as Vigilante 8, so I'm expecting some pretty balanced gameplay in terms of driving.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline the_zombie_luke

• Baron of Game On
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2003, 05:17:14 PM »
Can you shoot the tires of enemy cars and flatten them? That is one of things I liked to do in VC.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2003, 05:45:24 PM »

Originally posted by: PIAC
is there a PC version coming out? and if not can you turn the GCN version's sonudtrack off, basically im not into rap one iota, so being able to turn off the soundtrack would be a plus to me. also, do they use real vehicles or is it like GTA 3 where you have somewhat recognisable cars but with different names (ie deluxo is a delorian without gull wing doors)

There apparently are some soundtrack options, but I haven't tested them yet.  I'll get back to you on that.  I can say that the soundtrack is mostly hip-hop and very much uncensored.

As for the vehicles, they don't have names like those in GTA, but they look much closer to real cars.  There's one that looks EXACTLY like a Ford Taurus, for instance.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2003, 05:49:27 PM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
How well does the driving play? In Grand Theft Auto the driving was good enough to be a rcaing game in of itself (which Midnight Club basically is). I know they say True Crime isn't a driving game, but it's made by the same people as Vigilante 8, so I'm expecting some pretty balanced gameplay in terms of driving.

The driving is pretty simple, just like in V8 and GTA, but it's fun and easy to pick up.  At first I thought the handling was really loose, but it turns out that was just the particular car I had.  The cars have drastically different handling in addition to the expected differences in acceleration and top speed.  Also, because of the block-by-block layout in Los Angeles, you have to make a lot of right-angle turns, which require slowing down a lot or using the handbrake.  So far I have been in one street race (it was a bonus level), and it played very well.  Hard to say whether True Crime could stand up as a racing game.  I have to spend more time on the interstates and other long, high speed streets.  So far the game has had me running around downtown mostly.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2003, 05:53:41 PM »

Originally posted by: the_zombie_luke
Can you shoot the tires of enemy cars and flatten them? That is one of things I liked to do in VC.

Yes, and it's actually a bigger part of the gameplay.  In True Crime, you can shoot from first-person (actually over the shoulder) with any gun, not just assault rifles and sniper rifles.  So if you want to shoot out the tires on a car, just hold down R to enter manual aiming mode, point at the tire, and push R again.  Sometimes in high-speed car chases, this strategy seems to be almost required, because it's very hard to ram or push a car off the road when it's being chased, especially if your car isn't quite as fast.  I have had times when I shot off all four tires, sparks flying everywhere, and they were still making a run for it.  But at that point, it won't be long before you overtake and force them off the road.

Edit: Just to be clear, what I'm saying is that you can go into manual aiming mode while driving as well as when on foot.  In either case, doing so slows down time to give you a better chance at picking out your target.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2003, 05:55:58 PM »
That's good that the cars are varied as well- I'd get tired of having to drive essentially the same car over and over again throughout the entire game.

I have another question- have you encountered any of the branching storylines? That's what really attracts me to the game, the ability to play the game multiple times and have a very different game.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2003, 06:09:37 PM »
Yes, there are different missions in each chapter based on how well you do (you can continue the story even if you fail a mission) and whether you're a good cop or bad cop.  According to the manual, there are three different endings.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline BoB007

• Secret undercover Bob or something
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2003, 07:08:02 PM »
I like a large variety of weapons.( especially ones that go boom ) What kind of guns/weapons are available in True Crime?

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2003, 08:48:56 PM »
I don't know the names of many guns, so I couldn't tell you any specifics.  You can hold and use two guns at all times, and they don't have to both be the same.  Kang has a default pair (which can be upgraded), and then you can pick up new guns off of defeated enemies.  Haven't seen any gun shops a la Ammunation.  Guns I've picked up off the bad guys include automatic pistols, uzis, and a shotgun.  I doubt there is anything as wacky as a rocket launcher, but I'm sure there is at least one sniper rifle...just haven't seen it yet.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2003, 08:51:08 PM »
So you can only carry two guns at a time? Bleck- I hated the supposedly "realistic" gun limit in Halo. Realism schmrealism, it's not fun. That is, unless I'm misunderstanding you.

Offline Dynamitega

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2003, 08:58:13 PM »
You always have his normal guns, but you can get any additional 2 weapons to carry around in your hands.  He can always put away his handguns, but he doesn't have anywhere to put the shotguns..  I believe that's how it works from the videos I've seen.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2003, 09:35:45 PM »
Yeah, I am pretty sure you can throw away guns that you have picked up, if you want to go back to the default ones.  But what I mainly mean by carrying to guns at a time is that you actually go around shooting with two guns at once.  Always.  That's just Kang's style.  Usually he just has twin revolvers, but if you're fighting well-equipped enemies, you may end up with a submachine gun in one hand and a shotgun and the other.  They look and sound and feel pretty powerful, especially when you go into a slow-motion dive with guns blazing.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2003, 09:49:35 PM »
and how exactly does he reload said shotgun? or the sub-machine gun for that matter, the standard crotch reloading system found in any FPS or is there a delay for him to reload? or does a new clip magically apear in the gun ala GTA?

Offline Verdre

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2003, 01:30:19 AM »
I haven't really seen this mentioned in any previews, so how does time pass in the game?
The best years of my life are like a supernova.

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2003, 06:10:57 AM »
This is my most wanted game of the year.
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline Bishman

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2003, 09:18:42 AM »
After playing the game for a while, what would you score it?

I also have a bad feeling that the reviews of TC will decide if it sells well on the GC.

Offline Dynamitega

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2003, 09:42:44 AM »
Everyone that has played the Xbox and the PS2 demo say it's horrible.  That the controls are horrible, driving is horrible, aiming is horrible...  I'm thinking that the final release fixed a lot of those "horrible"s, or they were just driving crappy cars.  Or maybe they're just big GTA fanboys... I dunno.

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2003, 10:30:47 AM »
Tell me about the camera angles. Are they jerky or do they flow nicely?

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2003, 03:55:33 PM »

Originally posted by: PIAC
and how exactly does he reload said shotgun? or the sub-machine gun for that matter, the standard crotch reloading system found in any FPS or is there a delay for him to reload? or does a new clip magically apear in the gun ala GTA?

I don't think weapons that you find off enemies are ever reloaded.  You use them until they run out of ammo and then throw them away in favor of your default guns, which have infinite ammo.  But I will have to check on the animation.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2003, 04:03:22 PM »

Originally posted by: Verdre
I haven't really seen this mentioned in any previews, so how does time pass in the game?

I haven't seen any sort of day/night progression.  Seems odd to leave out, but if you think about it, the time of day almost never made any difference in GTA.  You do lose some of the game's atmosphere without it though.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!