Author Topic: Mighty No 9 To Release In Spring  (Read 8119 times)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: Mighty No 9 To Release In Spring
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2016, 05:19:13 PM »
This is why I always thought the crowdfunding thing was a waste of time.

Not necessarily a waste of time, as some good projects have come from crowdfunding that wouldn't have been created otherwise. If you see a niche project that really appeals to you, then offering to support that project is a pretty cool thing to do.

But very rarely a good investment either. If a crowdfunded project ends up being successful, it's almost always possible to get it later, at similar (sometimes lower) cost.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2016, 05:33:26 PM »
Crowdfunding is a great idea. However, like so many things, people abuse it. I've pledged to a couple non-gaming projects (e.g. The Cyanide and Happiness show) as well as a couple gaming projects. There's definitely risk involved. I typically only pledge just enough to get whatever the project is trying to fund. For example, I pledged $60 to get the physical copy of Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. Some of the bonuses for higher tiers seemed cool, but I can live without them so $60 it is.

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2016, 05:50:07 PM »
Likewise, games that have come out that I've backed:

- Various Pinball Arcade licensed tables (Twilight Zone, Star Trek TNG, Terminator 2, Addams Family) - Exactly as expected
- The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 - An excellent P&C Adventure game with a phenomenal soundtrack. Wii U owners will have a chance to check it out in the near future as well.
- Amplitude - I wish it had more tracks & DLC support, but I'm happy with what I got.

Games that haven't released that I've backed:

- Soul Saga - Has continual beta updates and the developer is in constant contact with the fans. No issues here.
- Cosmic Star Heroine - Will be releasing soon and all reports are that it's excellent.
- Yooka Laylee - I highly doubt this comes out this year.
- Bloodstained - Iga's kept in decent contact with backers, and he looks to actually hit something close to his pitched concept.
_ Shenmue 3 - This game looks in trouble, but we haven't had enough information yet to know how bad.
- Indivisible - The demo the devs put out during the campaign is excellent and there's a clear roadmap to completion. I have no reason to believe the project's in trouble.

So yeah, I've had some good successes in crowdfunding, but I tend to only back projects that show clear planning and passion.  Honestly, Mighty No 9 is the only game I regret backing due to all the B.S. Inafune's pulled since the original campaign.  I actually really question how long Inafune's known about this delay, due to the time it takes for games to make it through submission and the month it takes for games to go gold once they PASS submission. I suspect he's known this game wasn't going to make its release since at least Christmas.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2016, 06:06:29 PM »
- Bloodstained - Iga's kept in decent contact with backers, and he looks to actually hit something close to his pitched concept.
Wait, you actually backed Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night?
Plus, the gaming landscape since his last copy & pasted Castlevania game has greatly changed: games of this style are now incredibly common in the Indie scene, so what's Bloodstained going to do that I can't get from games already on the market? How is it going to stand out, aside from having the name of a developer associated with regurgitated sequels? Hence why I want to see proof of concept footage of the actual game he wants to make. Instead, his entire Kickstarter pitch is focused on his legacy, not what he's going to be doing for us lately. It's smoke & mirrors of the highest caliber.
So yeah, I don't like the guy, I don't think he belongs on Kickstarter, and I don't think he's justified his project's existence. I'm inclined to be sympathetic towards his project because I'm also of a "**** KONAMI" mindset due to how they gutted Silent Hills, but he has to earn that money and so far he's skated along by doing very little. It's a small amount of flash and name recognition trying to divert from the fact that there is no substance.
What the fuc... Did I fall into that alternate dimension again where people wear hats on their feet, and hamburgers eat people?

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2016, 06:14:42 PM »
Wait, you actually backed Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night?
Plus, the gaming landscape since his last copy & pasted Castlevania game has greatly changed: games of this style are now incredibly common in the Indie scene, so what's Bloodstained going to do that I can't get from games already on the market? How is it going to stand out, aside from having the name of a developer associated with regurgitated sequels? Hence why I want to see proof of concept footage of the actual game he wants to make. Instead, his entire Kickstarter pitch is focused on his legacy, not what he's going to be doing for us lately. It's smoke & mirrors of the highest caliber.
So yeah, I don't like the guy, I don't think he belongs on Kickstarter, and I don't think he's justified his project's existence. I'm inclined to be sympathetic towards his project because I'm also of a "**** KONAMI" mindset due to how they gutted Silent Hills, but he has to earn that money and so far he's skated along by doing very little. It's a small amount of flash and name recognition trying to divert from the fact that there is no substance.
What the fuc... Did I fall into that alternate dimension again where people wear hats on their feet, and hamburgers eat people?

Yeah, I don't like Iga. At all. But at the same time, #FucKonami.  ;) Suffice it to say, I had the money at the time and figured I'd probably regret not backing it in the long run.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 10:20:53 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2016, 10:08:33 PM »
The only game I've back on Kickstarter is Hollow Knight and while that game has had a few delays, they've been up front since the start about switching their engine to Unity (hence a Wii U release) and I keep getting updates. I also knew from the start this was coming from a really small indie dev so my expectations have been tempered. Their latest trailer was in November and it's pretty faithful to the concept art shown on their initial Kickstarter campaign.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV