Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1591666 times)

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
Re: Wii U
« Reply #2100 on: January 25, 2012, 12:24:47 AM »
Ya know, give it a Nintendo themed spin. Doesn't have to be trophies or achievements. Power stars would be great

What if it was based on the powerups from the Mario games? Imagine the Nintendo Network's equivalent of the Bronze trophy/achievement could be a Mushroom, and the equivalent of a silver trophy/Achievement could be a Fireflower, and a gold trophy/achievement could be an Invincibility star. But what would the Platinum equivalent be? How about a 1up Mushroom? Or maybe the 1-up mushroom should be the Gold and the invincibility star should be the platinum?

Ya know, I think I like this a bit better than just bronze/silver/gold power stars. Kudos, Chozo. You listening, Nintendo?
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: January 25, 2012, 12:37:03 AM »
Ya know, give it a Nintendo themed spin. Doesn't have to be trophies or achievements. Power stars would be great

What if it was based on the powerups from the Mario games? Imagine the Nintendo Network's equivalent of the Bronze trophy/achievement could be a Mushroom, and the equivalent of a silver trophy/Achievement could be a Fireflower, and a gold trophy/achievement could be an Invincibility star. But what would the Platinum equivalent be? How about a 1up Mushroom? Or maybe the 1-up mushroom should be the Gold and the invincibility star should be the platinum?

Ya know, I think I like this a bit better than just bronze/silver/gold power stars. Kudos, Chozo. You listening, Nintendo?

I was also thinking it would be great if they used the original icons in their 8-bit glory. They could also use the question mark block as a placeholder for the trophies which have not yet been unlocked, or are hidden.
is your sanity...

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: January 25, 2012, 03:34:07 PM »
It's the same exact thing.

No, it's not. There are subtle differences, and I'd agree with TJ Spyke that I prefer the Xbox 360 Achievements system to the PS3 Trophies.

What are these said differences?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: January 25, 2012, 03:53:32 PM »
It's the same exact thing.

No, it's not. There are subtle differences, and I'd agree with TJ Spyke that I prefer the Xbox 360 Achievements system to the PS3 Trophies.

What are these said differences?

I believe I already covered that.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: January 25, 2012, 11:41:21 PM »
Ah, I didn't see your post.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: January 26, 2012, 01:43:15 AM »
Yoshi Ono (SFxTekken): Wii U has so many unique possibilities!!!
http://www.3djuegos.com/noticias-ver/122834/yoshinori-ono-wii-u-ofrecera-caracteristicas-nunca-vistas-y/
Quote from: translated
"What we saw last E3 is not a reflection of everything this console is able to offer. We have been trying the development kits and some of its new characteristics will improve its possibilities. It isn't something like Kinect or similar accessories, it's something different.

I can't tell you more about it because, if I do, Nintendo will send assassins to finish me! (laughs) But let’s say that Wii U will be a console with so many and unique possibilities that it will be difficult to show them in the box they are going to sell it or to be published by magazines and other mediums," said Yoshinori Ono.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Wii U WW 2012
« Reply #2106 on: January 26, 2012, 03:29:03 AM »
Iwata: Wii U Will See WorldWide (US, EUR, JPN, AUS) Release In 2012
Nintendo: to launch Wii successor in key markets for year-end

OSAKA, Japan | Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:36am EST
(Reuters) - Nintendo will launch a successor to its Wii game console in the U.S. and other key markets in time for the crucial year-end shopping season later this year, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata told reporters on Thursday.

He said the WiiU would be launched in the United States, Europe, Australia and Japan for the year-end season.

(Reporting by Yoshiyuki Osada; Writing by Edmund Klamann; Editing by Edwina Gibbs)

Source: Rueters.com

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re:Wii U WW 2012
« Reply #2107 on: January 27, 2012, 01:25:04 AM »
A world-wide launch is a bold and difficult move. I hope they can do it and do it right. I REALLY hope this isn't just a way to rouse the investors.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2108 on: January 27, 2012, 01:29:46 AM »
They did it with Wii and 3DS (within 1 month is what I would consider a global launch). Wii had problems because no one, Nintendo included, expected the demand to be as high as it was. 3DS was the opposite where demand was lower than they expected. I think console manufacturers can't afford to NOT try and do a global launch anymore. No more 9+ months between releases like SNES or even just 3 months like N64.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: January 27, 2012, 01:54:12 AM »
or even just 3 months like N64.

That's about what it is for the Vita's launch.
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2110 on: January 27, 2012, 02:00:13 AM »
Yep, and I have seen a lot of websites and people saying that was a bad idea from Sony.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: January 27, 2012, 02:06:12 AM »
Yep, and I have seen a lot of websites and people saying that was a bad idea from Sony.

I think if they should have done it the other way around and launched the Vita in NA during the holiday season. I don't think Christmas and the holidays are really celebrated in Japan like they are here, so by launching in Japan first they missed out on the best time to launch here and instead gave it to Japan where it received a lukewarm reception. Then a month or so from now its going to launch here during the deadest time of year and have lukewarm reception here as well.

Ideally it should have been a simultaneous launch worldwide, but if they could only do one region for the holidays it should have been here instead of Japan. That's how I look at it.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: January 27, 2012, 02:08:30 AM »
Almost everything about Vita is a bad idea. Focusing on the launch timeframe is oversimplifying how crummy the entirety of its existence is.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: January 27, 2012, 04:34:22 AM »
Almost everything about Vita is a bad idea. Focusing on the launch timeframe is oversimplifying how crummy the entirety of its existence is.

Well if the PSP has shown us anything its that Sony doesn't quit when their handheld gets off to a poor start. Whether you love it or hate it, few would argue the PSP has been a failure for them. Its sold about half as much as the DS, and considering how amazingly well the DS has sold even selling half that is a really impressive feat, and far better than any non-Nintendo handheld has ever done. So I don't Sony cares too much if the thing flops at first, because unlike Sega or some other small company they have huge cash cash reserves so they can brute force their way into making the thing successful in the long run.
is your sanity...

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: January 27, 2012, 05:35:42 AM »
"huge cash cash reserves "  Not anymore.  Sony's been hurting for awhile now, across the board sony's losing money.  For example the last 8 years it's TV's have lost Sony money.  Music and video has been hurting as well. 

Sony can't afford another price war with nintendo. 

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2115 on: January 27, 2012, 05:48:39 AM »
They may not be as well off as they were before, but they are still better off than Sega was by a wide margin. Unlike Sega they are not a trivial competitor.
is your sanity...

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: January 27, 2012, 11:02:03 AM »
They may not be as well off as they were before, but they are still better off than Sega was by a wide margin. Unlike Sega they are not a trivial competitor.

But also unlike Sega, videogames are not their core focus.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Wii U to use Individual User Accounts
« Reply #2117 on: January 27, 2012, 12:10:07 PM »

Wii U to use Individual User Accounts.

http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=16744

http://wii.ign.com/articles/121/1217360p1.html

Finally now we don't need to worry. At least I hope not.

Edit:
Oopsy, just saw NWR already posted this.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 12:12:33 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: January 27, 2012, 12:56:14 PM »
Oopsy, just saw NWR already posted this.
So did BlackNMild. Stop living in the past, Caterkiller.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: January 27, 2012, 12:59:03 PM »
I have shamed myself...

RomanceDawn

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: January 27, 2012, 01:25:44 PM »
And your entire family.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: January 27, 2012, 01:51:26 PM »
You know, after the recent Pac-Man and Troll the Fans Man being exclusive to the PS3/Vita version, it makes me wonder about this article again.

http://www.3djuegos.com/noticias-ver/122834/yoshinori-ono-wii-u-ofrecera-caracteristicas-nunca-vistas-y/
"What we saw last E3 is not a reflection of everything this console is able to offer. We have been trying the development kits and some of its new characteristics will improve its possibilities. It isn't something like Kinect or similar accessories, it's something different.

I can't tell you more about it because, if I do, Nintendo will send assassins to finish me! (laughs) But let’s say that Wii U will be a console with so many and unique possibilities that it will be difficult to show them in the box they are going to sell it or to be published by magazines and other mediums," said Yoshinori Ono.

If the PS3/Vita versions have 5 exclusive characters, how much do you want to bet the Wii U version of Street Fighter X Tekken will have exclusive Nintendo characters.  Ono said last year about wanting to someday make a Nintendo vs Capcom game, maybe this will be his first step in being able to someday achieve it.  After bad box art Mega Man, I wonder what Nintendo characters Ono would want to put in.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: January 27, 2012, 05:34:25 PM »
You know, after the recent Pac-Man and Troll the Fans Man being exclusive to the PS3/Vita version, it makes me wonder about this article again.

If the PS3/Vita versions have 5 exclusive characters, how much do you want to bet the Wii U version of Street Fighter X Tekken will have exclusive Nintendo characters.  Ono said last year about wanting to someday make a Nintendo vs Capcom game, maybe this will be his first step in being able to someday achieve it.  After bad box art Mega Man, I wonder what Nintendo characters Ono would want to put in.

I can get behind that, it does sound pretty plausible. Is there an X-Box version I can expect exclusive characters for?

RomanceDawn

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: January 27, 2012, 07:42:18 PM »
I can't believe they included bad box art megaman. Capcom really is dead set on sticking it to Inafune as hard as they can, huh

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2124 on: January 28, 2012, 12:36:56 AM »
How do you mean? Inafune included the bad box art Mega Man in the now-canceled Mega Man Universe.

How can Pac-Man be in a fighting game?