Author Topic: In the event of an emergency...  (Read 1106 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
In the event of an emergency...
« on: February 29, 2012, 10:35:09 PM »
So... for those who don't know, we had a pretty nasty line of storms move through my area this morning.

My little town is just fine, but about 45 mins away, the town of Harrisburg, IL was hit by an F4 Tornado.  It's pretty nasty.

I was called in to go over there as the store had some pretty major damage.

During my time there, I gathered these useful tips.
In the event of a major emergency, it's important to keep a few things in mind. First, make sure you get in your vehicle and drive all around the effected area. Don't worry about emergency personnel and stuff... you and the multiple people like you that want to sight-see surely won't get in their way. Also, be sure to call 911, often and plenty. I mean, sure, they might have someone trying to call in with an actual emergency... but the odds of that have got to be so small that a few hundred people calling to ask when the power or cable will be back on probably won't even effect that one or two emergency calls. Finally, mega retailers will be open, so drive there. It doesn't matter if half the store is gone - they'll still be open. If the employees are telling you the store is closed, they're lying... they're just poor at customer service and don't want to have to help you. Go in anyway - just step over the broken glass and scattered merchandise. Oh, and if you're a politician, be sure to get to the area ASAP so you can get your photo ops in while there's still huge amounts of damage. You can go back to pretending that Chicago is the only part that's really Illinois tomorrow.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: In the event of an emergency...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 09:27:00 AM »
I had to re-read this to make sure this wasn't funhouse material.

New Zealand as a whole is getting hit by a weather bomb right now. We got plenty of warning though and I doubt any direct damage could be related to a direct hit from an F4.

Hopefully those folks will get enough aid to get going again unlike some other disasters that saw the response fall on it's face, ripping the skin off down to the bone.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?