Linked Events

• Silent Hill release: December 08, 2009

Author Topic: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories  (Read 94859 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories coming December 8th
« Reply #325 on: December 07, 2009, 03:30:42 PM »
Oh ****, its below a nine. This game will not sell because of that.

8.6 isn't that bad.

Called.  It.  Only .1 higher than my estimate.

Gamespot and Gametrailers are taking their sweet time, though.  With Gametrailers, they probably just don't find the game important enough to cover immediately (if their video features like Bonus Round and Invisible Walls are any indication, that place isn't exactly staffed with Wii fans).  With Gamespot, they are probably setting up to take the game down given their reputation.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #326 on: December 07, 2009, 04:05:36 PM »
"taking their sweet time."

Enough time to break away from whatever it is companies bribe them to do.

15 minutes of flashlight waggle.  15 minutes of typing w/out editor review.  They are IN BUSINESS.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 07, 2009, 04:30:22 PM »
Enough time to break away from whatever it is companies bribe them to do.

I wouldn't ascribe unethical journalistic practices where indifference and a busy workload will suffice.  To be fair to them, the other consoles have had a rather phenomenal Fall 2009 lineup and their readers don't give a damn about the Wii, so lower-tier Wii games naturally take a lower spot on the totem pole to something like Zelda: Spirit Tracks or The Saboteur (both of which release this week) that will draw more traffic.  Besides, if Konami clearly doesn't give a damn about this game, why should journalists without any investment in the Wii give a damn either?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 04:32:04 PM by broodwars »

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 07, 2009, 04:44:57 PM »
Two things. First, thanks for the questions. I'm going to compile yours with what the staff came up with and send them off to Konami.

Second, I'd like to hear more reviews/get a review copy to Andy so he can review before I make my judgement on this game. It looks cool, but I've never really liked a Silent Hill game previously. I hope this breaks the trend.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #329 on: December 07, 2009, 04:48:41 PM »
I'm interested cuz it doesn't seem like the other Silent Hills.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #330 on: December 07, 2009, 05:02:50 PM »
DAMMIT, ASHLEY FROM GAMESTOP IS SO LOUD.

D=<

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #331 on: December 07, 2009, 05:25:50 PM »
It sounds interesting to me, from the review. I just read a review in Play and they liked it to, but said it's not a Silent Hill game. What's disappointing to me is that there are no different monsters, but the singular creatures change subtely based on how you answer the therapist's questions. So...yeah.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 07, 2009, 07:48:08 PM »
didn't gonintendo also report that retailers were getting very limited quantities and even mentioned a gamestop as only getting TWO copies? or was that a rumour whats the difference on that site?
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 07, 2009, 10:20:42 PM »
I just read a review in Play and they liked it to, but said it's not a Silent Hill game.

I like how journalists and fans think they know better than the creators what makes a game part of a specific series or not.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 07, 2009, 10:22:54 PM »
It sounds interesting to me, from the review. I just read a review in Play and they liked it to, but said it's not a Silent Hill game. What's disappointing to me is that there are no different monsters, but the singular creatures change subtely based on how you answer the therapist's questions. So...yeah.

Ah yes, the review that apparently had no editor because they allowed the "reviewer" to spend an entire page just gushing about how much of a Silent Hill fan they are.  Then the next page is dedicated to how disappointed they are in the game, but with no actual description of what works and what doesn't.  Hell, in the end he says that it's a good game, but "not a Silent Hill game."  Coming from him, that's absolutely meaningless.

Offline mac<censored>

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 07, 2009, 10:43:28 PM »
So since basically 98% of all game journalists are clueless, lazy, and corrupt, what are some game review sites that are actually good?

NWR of course (honestly, this site has some of the best reviewers I've seen), but what else...?

Also since pixlbit.com is made by former NWR guys, I'm assuming it'll be good too (not so many reviews there yet though, and covering all platforms means they're gonna be spread more thinly).
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 10:51:49 PM by mac<censored> »

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #336 on: December 07, 2009, 10:47:54 PM »
The forumers here.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 07, 2009, 11:05:06 PM »
So since basically 98% of all game journalists are clueless, lazy, and corrupt, what are some game review sites that are actually good?

NWR of course (honestly, this site has some of the best reviewers I've seen), but what else...?

Also since pixlbit.com is made by former NWR guys, I'm assuming it'll be good too (not so many reviews there yet though, and covering all platforms means they're gonna be spread more thinly).

I've always liked Gamecritics.com's and (when they get around to them) Gametrailers.com's reviews.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 07, 2009, 11:49:47 PM »
I just read a review in Play and they liked it to, but said it's not a Silent Hill game.

I like how journalists and fans think they know better than the creators what makes a game part of a specific series or not.
I haven't played SH2 yet, but I have played SH1 and 3. Shattered Memories got rid of the combat, which I find is good because combat annoyed me.

I think that's why they are saying it's not a Silent Hill game. IT NEEDS ANNOYING COMBAT TO BE A TEN!!11
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 08, 2009, 02:31:33 AM »
Got the responses to the questions really quickly! Should be up tomorrow.

Thought this reply was classic, and I figured I'd just drop it here as a tease.

NWR: The game has been delayed several times, can you elaborate on what the
extra time was used for?

Tomm Hulett, Producer at Konami: We wanted to make sure Shattered Memories was the best quality it
could be.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #340 on: December 08, 2009, 03:27:12 AM »
So with all that delay time spent, the marketing budget ran out?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 08, 2009, 03:51:19 AM »

The marketing budget was spent making the PSP and PS2 ports that will get much greater coverage when they come out.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #342 on: December 08, 2009, 04:23:02 AM »
OH

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 08, 2009, 06:04:39 AM »

The marketing budget was spent making the PSP and PS2 ports that will get much greater coverage when they come out.

Wait, so you're saying that they used the Wii marketing budget to port the game to the PSP/PS2, and then used the PSP/PS2 porting budget to actually market those games instead.
Sounds plausible.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 08, 2009, 06:06:21 AM »

Wait, so you're saying that they used the Wii marketing budget to port the game to the PSP/PS2, and then used the PSP/PS2 porting budget to actually market those games instead.
Sounds plausible.

That's what scares me.  -_-'

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #345 on: December 08, 2009, 12:11:00 PM »
Picked up my copy of the game this morning, much to the surprise of the clerk at the counter (he automatically assumed I wanted Zelda: Spirit Tracks for some reason) and played through a fair bit of it (I'm currently in the second section of the game, after you deal with the first Nightmare and return to The House).  So far, my general impression is that this game is very good and the development team obviously put a lot of effort into little details.  For example, when you open doors you aren't limited to just opening them and entering a room.  You can gradually push them open little by little, meanwhile using your flashlight to scout the area within freehand.  Just in that last interactive cutscene with Cybil the game noticed me doing something I didn't expect it to and made a comment about it.  Nice touch.  So far, my only real complaint with the game is that the controls are kind of stiff and clumsy.  This is fine for the general exploration sections of the game (by the way, I like the iPhone as the new "radio", especially using the Wiimote's speaker to "listen to messages"), but during the "Nightmare" Chase Sequences they're a mess.  You run so fracking slowly that it's pretty easy for the monsters to catch you, and when you do you have to do a "throwing" motion with the Wiimote and Nunchuck together to get them off you.  Because your direction is determined by where your flashlight is pointing, this causes all sorts of problems trying to get out of a mob of monsters (one time, I threw one off and caused Harry to look at a wall.  While trying to point him in the right direction, another monster tackled me.  Lovely).  And good luck figuring out the right direction to go during the nightmare sequences, btw.

Still, very interesting game so far.  The "ice" look is working out a lot better than I expected.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 12:18:15 PM by broodwars »

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #346 on: December 08, 2009, 04:17:53 PM »
This will go well with the snow Sacramento got yesterday.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 08, 2009, 05:22:54 PM »
I'm thinking I'll pick this one up in a store instead of off Amazon. I want to try it today on my day off.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 08, 2009, 06:27:11 PM »
Ok, wow...I just beat the game (yes, that's right...I beat the game in about 7-8 hours or so.  What of it?) and...wow.  This is a game of three almost disparate elements: a story that's among the best Silent Hill's done since SH2; extremely experimental gameplay that's flawed but competent; and an atmosphere and style that, while unique, has issues.

The problem with the story is that until all the pieces draw together, the game just feels like it's flopping around aimlessly without any real direction or purpose.  Also, the story's big secret isn't as well hidden as it perhaps thinks it is, as I think most people will have a good idea of where it's going by the halfway point.  The good news, though, is that this very fragile story is held together by very strong, interesting sections with the psychiatrist that often reveal more about yourself than you'd think possible.  And the trips to the Psychiatrist do have an impact on your game, and you mold a very particular experience unique (keep an eye on the enemy designs) to yourself, topped off with a psychological analysis of yourself during the end credits that I found disturbingly accurate.

The gameplay is...well...monotonous.  I'm used to this kind of monotony because I've played Silent Hill games for years, but for the life of me I don't see how anyone outside a very particular niche is going to appreciate it.  Half the game is spent just wandering incredibly normal-looking buildings searching around for keys and other such doodads moving from a place the game deems significant to a place the game deems significant.  The other half comes when you reach those places, where the ice kicks in and you run like hell.  And you will run like hell for quite a long time because the game gives you absolutely no direction on where you should go outside a "waypoint" on your phone's GPS, which is suicide to ever stop to check and is only the "end point" of the chase.  News flash to Climax: "waypoints" are deemed as such because you use them as markers to determine that you're on the right path, not the end of the path itself!  So you will run and run and run in all directions AND DIE until by pure luck you stumble upon the correct path, meanwhile screaming at the controls because the game's not quite registering your "throw" gestures with the Wiimote & Nunchuck.  By the end of the game, this got really tiresome and got especially tiresome when they throw a series of random mazes and incredibly dark rooms at the end just to piss you off.

The graphics, for a Wii game, are very good on average.  Some sections look really good, some really bad.  The grain filter certainly doesn't help things, and frankly it never has in the Silent Hill games so I don't know why they keep bringing it back (it was PS1 concession for a reason: the PS1 was incapable of good-looking 3D graphics so they had to cover them up to make them look even halfway decent).  The framerate is the biggest casualty: while it stays pretty consistent at about 24 FPS throughout the game, during the chase sequences and while opening doors it can dip and sway pretty badly (I even got a "loading" text" one time opening a door, odd in a game that hyped 100% perfect streaming).  Where the graphics hurt is in the atmosphere: the ice version of Silent Hill is just fine, and fits the eerie mood of the franchise perfectly.  The problem is in the "normal" world, which isn't threatening in the least and drops all pretense of tension.  I also have to take issue with the music for the first time in a Silent Hill game: there are 21 tracks on that soundtrack CD, and if I'm lucky I heard 6 of them the entire game.  Part of the reason the game can't hold the tension is because the usual Silent Hill noise-esque music that usually maintains it simply isn't there.  It's good when it is there, but for the most part Silent Hill actually holds true to the "silent" part of its name, and that's disappointing.

Overall, I really enjoyed Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and it's clear that Climax has the right idea for this series, but needs more experience and perhaps talent to get the gameplay quite right.  This is a solid game and a worthy addition to the Wii library that just feels like a Wii game should: tasteful use of motion control without going overboard, and it's integrated in such a way that I don't know how the other versions are going to do this right with just analog sticks.  The psychological profile system in particular is innovative and probably the best addition to the series in years.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #349 on: December 08, 2009, 06:51:00 PM »
NWR, your review's done.