Author Topic: THQ licenses unknown IP from Nintendo  (Read 8623 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
What if Nintendo went GRITTY MATURE and they killed off Daisy for shock value?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
This isn't Mortal Kombat.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline The Traveller

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Thing is its so easy to make another great Starfox game!

- New System (Sehii System)
- 15 planets + Debris fields etc
- Set it in the middle of a huge war
- De-age all the characters back to what they were in Starfox 64 (Basically set it before adventure)
- Make the ships actually feel like they are fast.
- Have different ship characteristics/Customisation
- Have a couple of larger battle sequences where you control the Great Fox. (Different characters could have different jobs like firing weapons etc)
- Blue Marine and Landmaster are back. Along with on foot missions, but they are now On-Rails. (Sin/Punishment)
- Levels are mostly Arwing On-Rails Shooting.
- All range mode comes back but is no longer limited to boss battles only.
- Branching pathways - System/Map Screen
- Branching pathways - Inside the levels themselves. Each stage has at least two bosses, although its hard to find the alternate paths you have to work to find them.
- Secrets such as warps and entire bonus levels.
- You can play as either Fox,Falco,Slippy & Peppy
- Voice acting in the style of Starfox 64 but with heaps more lines.
- You can issue commands, like in the Rouge Squadron games.
- Really nice graphics at 60fps with the ability for a lot of on screen enemies
- 4-Player Co-Op & Battle (Local)
- Online Battle mode and Co-Op

There Nintendo go make it! :P

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: The Traveller
Thing is its so easy to make another great Starfox game!

- New System (Sehii System)
- 15 planets + Debris fields etc
- Set it in the middle of a huge war
- De-age all the characters back to what they were in Starfox 64 (Basically set it before adventure)
- Make the ships actually feel like they are fast.
- Have different ship characteristics/Customisation
- Have a couple of larger battle sequences where you control the Great Fox. (Different characters could have different jobs like firing weapons etc)
- Blue Marine and Landmaster are back. Along with on foot missions, but they are now On-Rails. (Sin/Punishment)
- Levels are mostly Arwing On-Rails Shooting.
- All range mode comes back but is no longer limited to boss battles only.
- Branching pathways - System/Map Screen
- Branching pathways - Inside the levels themselves. Each stage has at least two bosses, although its hard to find the alternate paths you have to work to find them.
- Secrets such as warps and entire bonus levels.
- You can play as either Fox,Falco,Slippy & Peppy
- Voice acting in the style of Starfox 64 but with heaps more lines.
- You can issue commands, like in the Rouge Squadron games.
- Really nice graphics at 60fps with the ability for a lot of on screen enemies
- 4-Player Co-Op & Battle (Local)
- Online Battle mode and Co-Op

There Nintendo go make it! :P

The only things I don't like are 15 planets (they can do much better than that) and on-foot missions and controlling the Great Fox (they just don't fit, and on-rails on-foot doesn't sound like any fun). 4-Player Co-op is a must, and Battle should be based off of Assault (it got the multiplayer pretty good, with some tweaking it could be great).

More 64 Corneria-style multi-boss missions is a good idea, and so is multiple ship configurations  (kind of like F-Zero's different racers and tweaking options). I love the idea of setting it during a full-fledged war, with the Star Fox team in command of a larger squadron of fighters, and a Rogue Squadron-style ability to issue commands to your wingmates is freaking brilliant.

I like the idea of a Blue Marine return, preferably changing from biological enemies to something like an underwater fortress where they're building a massive weapon (I stole that concept from an episode of Star Trek: Enterprise, but judging by that show's ratings only 14 other people know that). And let me control the movement of the Arwing with the analog stick on the nunchuk and control the aiming cursor with the Wiimote pointer.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline jakeOSX

• Score: 1
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
Star Fox Adventure - 1.85 million worldwide

surely somewhere in there is another person who liked this game...

i thought adventure was great. yes it wasn't a space ship game, but it was a great game in itself.

now, what would be interesting would be to combine the two kinds of games, A LA Sigma Six, ground work in an Action RPG style with numerous space battles (battles, not so much levels....)

if only they put out starfox like they do megaman they could try things like this.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
I also liked SFA.

It wasn't really a Star Fox game, but it was still a lot of fun for me.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
If Nintendo wants to revive Star Fox I think they should do the Superman movie series route and just pretend all but the first two Star Fox games don't exist.  For example ditch Krystal completely.  She is associated with sh!tty Star Fox.  You put her in the game and it just reminds everyone that crappy Star Fox games exist and we're all going to get more picky.  That's part of why I ignored Star Fox Command.  Forced touchscreen usage sounded horrible to begin with (that was the main reason) but all this Krystal stuff?  If Nintendo thinks the two SFA's are ever worth acknowledging then they don't get it and why should I assume they even know the series needs to be fixed?  Besides those of us who have stuck to the GOOD Star Fox games don't know much of the storyline from SF64 onwards anyway so if you require us to be familiar with it we're going to be lost.

If you wanted to revive Scooby Doo you sure as hell wouldn't put Scrabby Doo in it, would you?  So no Krystal.  Hell Star Fox Adventure takes place years later.  There is tons of space in between to put games in.

And at absolutely no time should my character EVERY LEAVE THE VEHICLE.  And Star Fox Command's graphic design looks f*cking horrible so never use it ever again.

For new ideas to the formula obvious four player co-op is a given and Rogue Leader has tons of kickass ideas to steal.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile

If you wanted to revive Scooby Doo you sure as hell wouldn't put Scrabby Doo in it, would you?

Massive MASSIVE spoiler: ScraPPy Doo is the main villain of the first live action movie!

But I do agree with the rest of your post

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
NO NO NONONONONONO NO!

You guys have it all wrong. Everyone knows that what makes Starfox great is all the evasive maneuvering you have to do (USE THE BOOST TO GET THROUGH!). They really need to focus back on the flying aspect and then break it down for a boss or two along the way.

I'm talking about starfox flying through a canyon similar to the one in F-Zero GX where boulders and pillars start falling over. I want to see combo after combo of fast paced movement (similar to DK: JB). I want to be forced through tight corridors flying vertical. I want to be able to use the environment to my advantage.

There's so much potential.  
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
You all are not showing appropriate dread for any THQ game that uses a Nintendo Franchise.

The correct response to this news is "DEAR GOD, NO!"  Please make appropriate corrections.  

Thank you,
Mgnt.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline son of lucas

• View Profile

Originally posted by: Mashiro

If you wanted to revive Scooby Doo you sure as hell wouldn't put Scrabby Doo in it, would you?

Massive MASSIVE spoiler: ScraPPy Doo is the main villain of the first live action movie!

But I do agree with the rest of your post

He was?  I must have repressed that memory.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
I also liked SFA.

It wasn't really a Star Fox game, but it was still a lot of fun for me.

I would call SFA a "par" Zelda clone. Its neither better than Zelda nor its bad. The story was pretty good with some truly funny moments (like Fox gawking at Krystal and Peppy snapping him out of it). and some parts were fun but the whole thing was forgettable, it focused too much on collecting, parts felt monotonous and the battle with Scales is the most pathetic thing I have ever seen in games.

Like I said, it was par. Not good but not bad either.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
"I would call SFA a 'par' Zelda clone. Its neither better than Zelda nor its bad."

That's probably a fair assessment.  The problem with me is that Zelda sets the bar so high that I pretty much hate all Zelda clones.

I tried really hard to like Star Fox Adventures but gave up once I realized I wasn't having any fun.  Penny Arcade made a funny comic about all the stupid crap you have to collect that sums up the game perfectly.  It became a chore to play.  I also hated every Star Fox reference in it since I did not like how Miyamoto was shoehorning the IP in the game and didn't feel any of the Star Fox stuff fit.  The voices are also crap.

With SFA it was like all the bad habits Rare had that I tolerated in their other games suddenly took center stage and all of the stuff I liked about Rare games took a backseat.  Then you get corporate interference with the Star Fox IP and the result isn't nice.  SFA feels soulless like no one involved in the game gave a sh!t about the final result provided it was a quality product in technical merits like responsive controls and good graphics.  I get a similar feel from EA games - technically competent but too commercial to have any pride showing through in the work.  And it makes sense because why would you care if Nintendo told you that you had to get rid of the story and the characters and the world you had been working on for years in favour of an existing IP and everything needs to be done by such and such a date?

It was shocking that Miyamoto suggested it.  The guy is a fellow game designer so you'd THINK he would have more artistic integrity.  Turns out he's just a businessman, though one with a major talent for designing games.

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile

Originally posted by: Professional 666
He made gaming and he will destroy it.

That is his right.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Terranigma Freak

• View Profile

For example ditch Krystal completely.

Agreed!!! Let's just pretend she didn't exist.