Author Topic: Wii Music Coming to a Classroom Near You  (Read 9411 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Wii Music Coming to a Classroom Near You
« on: January 14, 2009, 02:09:09 AM »
Nintendo is working with MENC: The National Association of Music Education to incorporate Wii Music into music curricula.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=17528

The goal of most videogames is abundantly clear: to be fun for those playing them. But Nintendo has lately been trying to redefine what videogames can achieve. In fact, the game maker is casting its recent Wii Music, which lets players virtually jam with over 60 instruments and a selection of musical based activities, as not just a fun gaming experience, but also a valuable tool for music education.    

To that end, Nintendo is collaborating with institutions like MENC: The National Association of Music Education, as well as the Blue Bear School of Music in San Francisco and the Opus 118 Harlem School of Music organization in New York. They'll be working to find ways to integrate Wii Music into the music curriculum across the country. And if the feedback from Doby's Mill Elementary School is any indication, they may be onto something.    

"Wii Music has brought a renewed excitement to music class for students from first grade to fifth, myself and even some of the classroom teachers," testified Helen Krofchick, a music teacher at the Lugoff, S.C. school. "We have a school very supportive of the arts and Wii Music has empowered our program even more," she added, "Any system that is educational and can add a love of music to children's lives should be in every classroom."    

However, response from the traditional gamer community has been mixed over the value of Wii Music's free-flowing and anyone-can-play design. Nintendo World Reports' own review of the title called it "far from perfect," questioning the game's sound quality, limited song selection, and viability for consumers who would rather play alone.    

But Joe Lamond, President and CEO of the National Association of Music Merchants, believes that the core values behind Wii Music are worthwhile. "The joy of playing music is something that should be experienced by everyone, regardless of age, talent-level or experience," he stated. "Research shows that more than 82 percent of people who don't currently play a musical instrument wish they did," Lamond pointed out, expressing his belief that "Wii Music can help address this by providing a positive introduction for millions of people who might not otherwise be inclined to try."    

Nintendo, with its successful Wii and DS consoles, has already stated their goals of broadening the market demographic beyond the gamer stereotype and capturing new consumers. Perhaps it's Lamond's "millions of people who might not otherwise be inclined to try" who will ultimately be their harshest critics.    

NINTENDO'S WII MUSIC STRIKES A CHORD WITH MUSIC EDUCATORS    

New Partnerships Bring Fun Music Software to Classrooms Nationwide

REDMOND, Wash., Jan. 13, 2009 – Nintendo's new Wii Music™ game is spreading from the family room to the classroom, thanks to newly formed collaborations with select schools and educators. To help inspire students and promote an active appreciation for music, Nintendo is working with teachers to incorporate Wii™ consoles and Wii Music software into their lesson plans to offer teachers a unique tool for creativity and improvisation.    

Nintendo's collaborators in this effort include MENC: The National Association for Music Education, which is recognized as the world's largest arts education organization and as a teaching resource for all levels from preschool to graduate school. MENC will help teachers in 51 cities across the nation integrate Wii Music into their curricula, making use of the game's 60-plus instruments and fun array of tutorial exercises in rhythm, tempo and song structure.    

"The goal of Wii Music is to inspire people of all ages to enjoy music," said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. "By partnering with educators and bringing Wii Music into their classrooms, we hope to give students a memorable, hands-on experience that helps them discover their own creative voice."    

The Wii console's motion-sensing controls allow Wii Music users at any experience level to step up and jam, whether playing solo or as part of a group. Using the wireless Wii Remote™ and Nunchuk™ controllers, players make simple, intuitive movements to strum a guitar, play a trumpet or bang a drum.    

"At any grade level, it's essential to provide students with the tools and encouragement they need to be creative," said John J. Mahlmann, executive director of MENC. "We look forward to collaborating with Nintendo to drive awareness and advocacy for music education through Wii Music."    

Some teachers already have begun to incorporate Wii Music into their lesson plans.    

"Wii Music has brought a renewed excitement to music class for students from first grade to fifth, myself and even some of the classroom teachers," said Helen A. Krofchick, a music teacher at Doby's Mill Elementary School in Lugoff, S.C. "I love how many music standards can be covered in such a short time. Students also have to use language skills, spatial awareness and hand-eye coordination. We have a school very supportive of the arts and Wii Music has empowered our program even more. Any system that is educational and can add a love of music to children's lives should be in every classroom."    

Other collaborating and partner organizations currently include San Francisco's Blue Bear School of Music and New York's Opus 118 Harlem School of Music. Teachers in these programs will use Wii Music to build students' familiarity with technology while bolstering their ability to create and improvise. Experts in the field of music say getting kids interested in music at an early age can help build a lifelong appreciation.    

"The joy of playing music is something that should be experienced by everyone, regardless of age, talent-level or experience," said Joe Lamond, President & CEO of NAMM, the National Association of Music Merchants. "Research shows that more than 82 percent of people who don't currently play a musical instrument wish they did. Wii Music can help address this by providing a positive introduction for millions of people who might not otherwise be inclined to try."

Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Wii Music Coming to a Classroom Near You
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 02:34:21 AM »
I wish I had this in music class.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 02:35:50 AM »
Speaking as somebody who has been classically trained, this is HORRIBLE news. Musicians need REAL instruments. Wii Music doesn't even teach theory.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 02:46:44 AM »
Speaking as somebody who has been classically trained, this is HORRIBLE news. Musicians need REAL instruments. Wii Music doesn't even teach theory.

How about for elementary school kids? You really think most schools can afford to buy instruments to put in the hands of kids aged 6 to 11? Because that's pretty much the example used in the story.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 03:18:26 AM »
But is there really that much educational value provided by the game?  I suppose you'll learn the names of the instruments, and perhaps some music appreciation.  On the other hand, I'd compare it to teaching kids how to draw by encouraging them to scribble.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 03:21:42 AM »
The point is to learn rythm. I think pretending to play the same instruments the band you like use is a bit more fun than clanging wooden sticks together.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 05:32:52 AM »
Ye Gods, if this works out I guess it will be  true then...the US Government will have officially sanctioned torture.   :P
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 10:15:16 AM »
You make it sound like this could make music lessons any worse.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 10:29:59 AM »
I thought Nintendo didn't want school violence to happen because of them.......

Come on people lets see this for what it is. WiiMusic is a bomb and has floppped and now Nintendo is trying to give it a second wind. This is not about education this is about sales and getting buzz out.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 10:43:06 AM »
Umm, if you knew anything, you would have realized that this was Miyamoto's intention from the very beginning. He even had a video of him at a school playing Wii Music with the children. That was before the game came out on retail and obviously before any sales data.

So ya, just cuz your shady doesn't mean Miyamoto is.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 11:07:24 AM »
Oh look a Wii Music thread with trolling, what a surprise!

This is great news. Elementary school kids will definitely benefit from this. The game will teach you different pieces of music composition if you don't treat the game like it's a joke.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 11:34:54 AM »

Talking as a teacher myself the BIGGEST problem you can find is not having any instruments or any other teaching materials due to funding. So getting real instruments is not as easy as it sounds. Yes, Wii Music, as well as Guitar Hero and Rock Band, are no substitution to the real thing but the simulated idea works well.

As for people saying that Wii Music will never be an effective educational tool the same can be said about EVERY SINGLE LEARNING TOOL. The teacher is given the tools to present his or her class, but it is he or she that MUST know how to use them. In other words, you could have the most sophisticated and elaborate learning tool on the planet but it is completely useless if the child doesn't learn anything from it or the teacher doesn't know how to use it.

So if teachers are planning on using Wii Music as a learning tool they are the ones to create a lesson plan around it and try to make it effective.

Regarding Mr. Vega's comments, this is no different than when Nintendo kept pushing Wii Sports into senior homes and Wii Fit into gyms (both games are insanely successful). They want the games to stay in peoples' minds so it keeps generating profit even if the game is 3 years old. And no, Wii Music is NOT a flop. Its success is quieter when compared to Wii Fit, sure, but it has sold enough despite the cold reception of the gaming media, a terrible first time demonstration and lck of worldwide hype.

And people...would you PLEASE stop bashing these kind of things? I personally hate it when fanboys go ranting about how senior citizens playing Wii or families bonding over the DS is a bad thing. Let's be honest for a second. Yes, this is clearly a marketing ploy to keep the games in people's minds and they keep buying it. But as far as social news go which would you rather hear? That kids are learning to get fit using Wii Fit or that games are turning them into heartless killers?

People for the last few YEARS gaming has struggled with the public perception that games are harmful, separate people and don't bring anything to the table. Now things are changing slightly thanks to games like Wii Sports, Rock Band and Wii Fit creating a positive social phenomenon. Will this be short lived? Maybe. Will this be greatly ignored as the media keep focusing on shock news? Most definitely. But is it worth bashing and ridiculing simply because it doesn't fit your gaming agenda? Definitely not.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline AV

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 11:35:54 AM »
children don't need wiimusic they can just use their IMAGINATION !!!!

It's the same thing

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 12:10:59 PM »

It's the same thing

See, you really are trolling.

Teens and Adults don't have to buy Guitar Hero and Rock Band since they can use they're imaginations to replicate those instruments too, but guess what: They do!

I'm all for this just like i'm all for senior homes housing wiisports/fit. In fact I'm even MORE for this than then the other two. Why? Because getting kids into music, in any way/shape/form at a young age is a GREAT thing.

I always enjoyed music as a kid but was never able to express it other than having a tune in my head because no one ever encouraged me to take it up. You'd think as a parent seeing their kid spend hours of time in front of a keyboard in a toy store would make you think "hm.. maybe this can be good for him.." but it didn't. I tried to take up trumpet in school, around 4th grade or so, and the teacher was horrible and guess what happened before the end of the year; budget cuts lead to the loss of the music program.

It wasn't until I was a teen with an off the books part time job and an allowance when I could finally dive in to learning music by buying a guitar, and its been a passion ever since. I was never classically trained, nor formely trained for that matter since i taught myself, but its still an awesome thing to learn. Having young kids learn ANYTHING, even appreciation of music is a phenominal thing. For all we know some sort of prodigy could be sitting in a classroom right now, in a school with no music program and no other means to spark that fire inside him/her.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 12:11:25 PM »
Vega, have you ever played Wii Music? I'm guessing not. If by some chance you did, I'm guessing you went into it with a closed mind, and just flailed the remote around for 2 minutes, decided it was stupid and never played it again.

I'm sure you aren't the only one either. However, there is quite a bit of depth to Wii Music, and this silly fanboy bashing is growing really annoying.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 12:30:05 PM »

It's the same thing

See, you really are trolling.

Teens and Adults don't have to buy Guitar Hero and Rock Band since they can use they're imaginations to replicate those instruments too, but guess what: They do!

I'm all for this just like i'm all for senior homes housing wiisports/fit. In fact I'm even MORE for this than then the other two. Why? Because getting kids into music, in any way/shape/form at a young age is a GREAT thing.

I always enjoyed music as a kid but was never able to express it other than having a tune in my head because no one ever encouraged me to take it up. You'd think as a parent seeing their kid spend hours of time in front of a keyboard in a toy store would make you think "hm.. maybe this can be good for him.." but it didn't. I tried to take up trumpet in school, around 4th grade or so, and the teacher was horrible and guess what happened before the end of the year; budget cuts lead to the loss of the music program.

It wasn't until I was a teen with an off the books part time job and an allowance when I could finally dive in to learning music by buying a guitar, and its been a passion ever since. I was never classically trained, nor formely trained for that matter since i taught myself, but its still an awesome thing to learn. Having young kids learn ANYTHING, even appreciation of music is a phenominal thing. For all we know some sort of prodigy could be sitting in a classroom right now, in a school with no music program and no other means to spark that fire inside him/her.

See, one of the problems I see with modern education (and something we've been taught to avoid) is that its putting too much emphasis on facts, traditional courses and development  in knowledge and very little on extra curricular activities outside of sports.

All kids have certain talent. Whether it be great retention of information or great eye for design this talent must be approached and promoted. Not every kid can understand math, but I'm sure that kid that has been labeled as a failure in math can make it up with talent such as writing, drawing and music. Artistic talent is just as important in the growth of a child as it is knowledge and athletic skill.

Once more, Wii Music will never replace the real deal. But its great that the IDEA of music appreciation is at being presented so that kids make the decision of pursuing it as a career. And this is a GOOD thing, folks.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 12:36:34 PM »
Well learning rhythm is better than nothing I suppose.  But it isn't going to teach anyone how to play, well, ANYTHING.  Guitar Hero and Rock Band won't either though and this is much cheaper for schools to use.

I've never met anyone who became a decent musician though music class anyway.  Private lessons or self-teaching was always the way to get good.  You just can't develop much when you're grouped with 20 tone deaf kids you don't want to be there.  However it is good for practice.  My brother took private lessons and band class in school and felt that band forced him to practice more.

Offline Armak88

• Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 01:13:02 PM »
The real good news here is that this will prepare them to play Yankee Doodle Dandy for real.
"I'm not going to ban you yet just in case you really are a huge fan of bean bag chairs..." - Pale

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 01:43:01 PM »
Back in school the instruments we were handed for learning were mostly those musical sticks that you clang together rythmically so the lack of having to play different notes isn't different from before. Wii Music still requires rythm and that's all the school wants to teach. I know I might have been more interested in that stuff if we used virtual instruments that then play a melody instead of those stupid sticks and maybe today I wouldn't have a total lack of rythm feeling.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 03:23:34 PM »
Pap sounded like he was arguing my post the whole time but wasnt... lol
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2009, 04:17:38 PM »
Here's the thing: I WAS a musician back in school for 7 years through 2 choir programs (veteran Madrigal, thank you very much), and I see very little in Wii Music that properly teaches anything about Musical Theory.  I absolutely agree with the concept of bringing a fun interactive musical experience into the classroom to raise the next generation of musicians.  I just don't think Wii Music is that program from everything I've seen of it.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline AV

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2009, 05:09:16 PM »
i'm just playing around. i don't mean to be offensive.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2009, 08:06:49 PM »
Man, kids these days get so many cool gadgets and doodads to play with whilst in school. All we ever got were rocks, which the other kids would always throw at me...

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2009, 08:07:31 PM »
Here's the thing: I WAS a musician back in school for 7 years through 2 choir programs (veteran Madrigal, thank you very much), and I see very little in Wii Music that properly teaches anything about Musical Theory.  I absolutely agree with the concept of bringing a fun interactive musical experience into the classroom to raise the next generation of musicians.  I just don't think Wii Music is that program from everything I've seen of it.

This is why i never desired to have music taught to me, and instead wanted to learn it on my own. :)

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2009, 08:30:37 PM »
Back in school the instruments we were handed for learning were mostly those musical sticks that you clang together rythmically so the lack of having to play different notes isn't different from before. Wii Music still requires rythm and that's all the school wants to teach. I know I might have been more interested in that stuff if we used virtual instruments that then play a melody instead of those stupid sticks and maybe today I wouldn't have a total lack of rythm feeling.

Dude you don't live on the east side of Berlin do you?  I kid.

But seriously, my school had xylophones, marimbas, and other mallet instruments. We also had recorders; the cheap plastic kind.

Anyway, being one of the few members who actually owns WiiMusic, there's alot more to learn than just rhythm. Mostly, the appreciation and admiration for talented musicians. That's the greatest listen of all.