Author Topic: REVIEWS: Okami  (Read 13578 times)

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
Re: REVIEWS: Okami
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2008, 11:26:37 AM »
Pro's TV is like a 60" crazy big flat panel.

I have a 61" TV and I had no problems with it.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2008, 11:44:12 AM »
I do think the game is not nearly as clear as it could be. The graphics could be much better, while keeping the great style.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2008, 12:55:12 PM »
It's blurrier than Turok 1.

THANK YOU!!!!!!! Is Miss Huggles the only person to recognise this?

The blur alone should drop the graphical portion of the review to at least a 7. It's a game-wrecking portion that should be optional. I'm playing in 480p and 16:9 and the blur is so noticeable i get dizzy in minutes and a banging headache by an hour.

Your eyes must suck then....Or your TVs... =)

I'd say the opposite, my TV sucks so I don't notice blur in games :P

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2008, 06:33:39 PM »
I agree, it's blurry on my HD monitor as well, but my Wii signal is just soft like that even though it's on component.  It didn't really bother me, and I think the game still looks great.

Your title should be something like, dirty staff troll. Man I hear 'em say this stuff all the time on the podcast.

It's not my fault a lot of Wii games look like ass.  Okami is great, Super Mario Galaxy is superb, Metroid Prime 3 is great, Zelda is great, and there are several other great-looking games on Wii.  But the majority are "meh" to terrible.  And Okami isn't one of them.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2009, 02:41:20 AM »
i got it for christmas and I got threw the rest of my backlog and now playing this.

I'm about 3 hours in and I just learned the stroke that re-energizes flowers.

Here is the problem:

So far the combat is boring. Waggle this or that. I just bought the first move set in the dojo and I am less impressed with it. I thought it would make it more diverse, but it just MORE waggle but 4x.  :o :-\

Right now thats my only big grip. I'm sort of getting used to making strokes with the celestial brush, but its not to bad.

I really enjoy the game so far, and I want to try to beat it before school starts on the 20th. I think I can beat it since I have no job right no or school.
However if combat doesn't evolve much I am not sure if I can continue in the game.

I'm soooooooooo not into waggle as the main attack method. It was new in Twilight Princess, remixed well in No More Heroes and now its just feels quaint.

can somebody please just reassure me that battle gets better, because I don't want to avoid battles all together because I hate waggle. If the entire battle system is mindless battle than I'll stop now before I get to invested in the game.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2009, 02:48:57 AM »
Waggle becomes much better later in the game due to the need to time attacks as well as using a diverse array of celestial attacks.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline AV

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2009, 02:55:36 AM »
Waggle becomes much better later in the game due to the need to time attacks as well as using a diverse array of celestial attacks.

Excellent, if it stayed at the pace it has now I wouldn't be able to play it.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2009, 03:04:03 AM »
Meh, personally I thought the sheer repetitiveness of the combat never got better (despite the increased and somewhat random use of the Celestial Brush techniques), and it was one of the main reasons I quit playing the game towards the Game's End.  But if you're finding it irritating to do the timed attacks with the Wiimote waggling, I suggest switching your primary weapon to the Beads.  They're a strain on the wrist, but you get much more responsive results.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 03:05:47 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2009, 08:43:04 AM »
So far the combat is boring. Waggle this or that. I just bought the first move set in the dojo and I am less impressed with it. I thought it would make it more diverse, but it just MORE waggle but 4x.  :o :-\

Get a sword, less hits necessary that way. I think the first sword appears much later than the beads and mirror. I used sword main, beads sub for most of the game though I switched to dual swords when I got the technique that increases the damage for that.

I think the combat system was decent but lacked challenge.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2009, 12:12:18 PM »
Trust me, a lot of weapon problems will fix with a different type of weapon.

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline AV

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2009, 08:26:15 PM »
sounds good i'll keep playing . right now the thing that is annoying me is the celestial brush strokes they are all the same. Circle does sun, bomb, flowers bloom, lili pads.

For such an imaginative game i expected more varied use of strokes.

they don't seem to work maybe half the time. I sort of feel "Pac Pix" on DS did a better job of recognizing what I wanted to draw than this game some times.

I understand its better than analog stick, but I much rather use DS stylus. The brush is not as finely tuned as I would of liked either.

Right now I would be 9's game or high 8s for me. No way perfect 10. Innovation is cool and everything but most of it has to work right.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2009, 11:17:31 PM »
You haven't even unlocked close to all the strokes.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2009, 02:38:43 AM »
I didn't have a problem with the brush. In fact, I got so good at it I could cast 4 different spells back to back without any errors and barely any time lapsing.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2009, 03:23:59 AM »
I guess some people take longer to get used to the fact that circles are only closed when the centers of their lines cross.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2009, 05:31:44 AM »

Indeed.  Have fun learning how to get lightning to register when and where you want it.  Try as I might, I think I maybe got that one to work 2 or 3 times the entire game?

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2009, 07:55:10 AM »
Are you serious? You need to do it at least a hundreds times to even finish the game.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2009, 10:08:00 AM »
I played the PS2 version. I had some difficulties with bomb position during battles, and I agree that having circles for the sun, lilly pads, and cherry blossoms caused some annoying misinterpretation at times.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2009, 10:17:56 AM »

Indeed.  Have fun learning how to get lightning to register when and where you want it.  Try as I might, I think I maybe got that one to work 2 or 3 times the entire game?

Wasn't lightning just a line from a source of electricity to the target? That was really easy and if you couldn't do it consistently I wonder how you got past the fox boss.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2009, 03:59:39 PM »
I played the PS2 version. I had some difficulties with bomb position during battles, and I agree that having circles for the sun, lilly pads, and cherry blossoms caused some annoying misinterpretation at times.

Trust me, I can drop bombs in Okami so fast it's ridiculous. I can draw them with 90% accuracy everytime.

Wasn't lightning just a line from a source of electricity to the target? That was really easy and if you couldn't do it consistently I wonder how you got past the fox boss.

Yes.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2009, 04:14:17 PM »
For me, the only symbol I couldn't get off almost 100% of the time was the snow attack (the * symbol)...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2009, 04:17:46 PM »
Uhh....that's cuz you never had to make that symbol.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2009, 04:20:34 PM »

No no, there's a brush stroke where you have to do a lightning-style zigzag to make lightning instantly strike on its own, without having an electrical source nearby.  It's one of those wierd techniques that pops up near the end of the game.

I must have missed the snow one, but I don't remember that one.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2009, 04:32:13 PM »
Uhh....that's cuz you never had to make that symbol.

But it was FUN to use!  And it turned people into snowmen!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~