Author Topic: House of the Dead: Overkill Goes Gold  (Read 12916 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
House of the Dead: Overkill Goes Gold
« on: January 12, 2009, 07:53:46 AM »
Headstrong Games cites Resident Evil 4 as a reason to be optimistic for the upcoming "Grindhouse-esque" arcade-style shooter.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=17523

With House of the Dead: Overkill's February 10 release date fast approaching, Headstrong Games' lead designer, Alastair Halsby, has good news: "We're past gold master, and the game is being manufactured right now."    

In an interview with CVG, Halsby had a lot more to say besides the confirmation of development completion, especially in regards to the similarities and differences between their game's console and arcade aspects. "We wanted to give the impression that this was an ultra-cool arcade machine that you'd just dropped 40 credits into," Halsby explained, "and that it was capable of delivering a paced experience - so you get highs and lows, not just constant escalation."    

He also explained that Headstrong wanted to keep "the fear of being overwhelmed by enemies, [and] the sensation of fast movement" in order to keep the spirit of the arcade game alive.    

Halsby said that the Grindhouse-esque style came about a bit further in development, well after "the majority of characters, locations and enemies" were created. "Originally we had a 'softened realism' look, with a touch of the usual bright SEGA colors," Halsby clarified, "The pulp theme came through with a confirmation of a solid mature rating, a funk soundtrack and plenty of dismemberment."    

When asked the all-important question about whether or not there is an audience for a game like House of the Dead: Overkill, Halsby countered by citing the success of Resident Evil 4. "Just because mature gamers enjoy Wii Sports," Halsby argued, "doesn't mean they won't also enjoy blasting zombies in the face."

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: House of the Dead: Overkill Goes Gold
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 04:11:29 PM »
THE NON-CASUAL I'VE BEEN FROTHING FOR

FROTH with me.  We'll fill up cups and serve them to other poasters.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Penguin_Of_Thyme

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 04:22:42 PM »
I'm all for the frothing, but let's not use styrofoam cups.
Jared Rosenberg
Video Producer, Nintendo World Report

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 04:25:37 PM »
Yes! Let our frothing demand for this game increase!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 05:02:21 PM »
Gotta pre-order it soo just to make sure I get it.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 05:05:08 PM »
They're going just a little overboard there citing RE4 as a sign that their game's going to sell well. RE4 was already a well-known awesome game to established gamers, and the Wii version only made it better.  I knew when it was announced (for a budget price, mind you) that I was going to buy it.  House of the Dead: Overkill is by comparison an unknown quantity, save that we know it's going to be short; it's going to be a horror lightgun game; and it's going to be full-priced.  They would have done better to compare their product to the good sales of Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, which is not only in the same genre but was also full-priced.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 05:57:11 PM »
They're going just a little overboard there citing RE4 as a sign that their game's going to sell well. RE4 was already a well-known awesome game to established gamers, and the Wii version only made it better.  I knew when it was announced (for a budget price, mind you) that I was going to buy it.  House of the Dead: Overkill is by comparison an unknown quantity, save that we know it's going to be short; it's going to be a horror lightgun game; and it's going to be full-priced.  They would have done better to compare their product to the good sales of Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, which is not only in the same genre but was also full-priced.

I believe the House of the Dead collection sold quite well. So I'd say it has recognition.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 06:04:55 PM »
I have reason to be optimistic due to this studio making Geometry Wars Galaxies, one of the best games on Wii.  However, if the game is only 3-4 hours long (as they have suggested in interviews), I don't see how it's going to do well at full price.  RE: Umbrella Chronicles is at least twice, maybe thrice that long.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 06:12:18 PM »
I have reason to be optimistic due to this studio making Geometry Wars Galaxies, one of the best games on Wii.  However, if the game is only 3-4 hours long (as they have suggested in interviews), I don't see how it's going to do well at full price.  RE: Umbrella Chronicles is at least twice, maybe thrice that long.

Well hopefully they jam it full of extras.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 06:15:12 PM »

I believe the House of the Dead collection sold quite well. So I'd say it has recognition.

Which begs the question why they didn't just say "hey, the House of the Dead collection sold well on Wii, so that tells us there is a Mature audience on Wii for our franchise!"  Why mention RE4 at all when you can pimp your own franchise?
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 06:18:25 PM »

Which begs the question why they didn't just say "hey, the House of the Dead collection sold well on Wii, so that tells us there is a Mature audience on Wii for our franchise!"  Why mention RE4 at all when you can pimp your own franchise?

Because it is better to pimp a game series that is universally known then one that is relatively well known? The HOTD collection sold around 900k so that is not bad for what was basically a straight port.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 06:44:50 PM »
The HOTD collection sold around 900k so that is not bad for what was basically a straight port.

Yowza! Really? That's extreme! Source?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 07:10:38 PM »
The HOTD collection sold around 900k so that is not bad for what was basically a straight port.

I know I've heard it on IGN, also on VGchartz. This all combined with the fact that it motivated Sega to create another sequel is why I think the numbers are legit.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 08:38:53 PM »
As I looooove House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return, I'm very happy about this prequel. Expect a review!
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 08:58:21 PM »
If this game doesn't sell I'm going to blame Kairon.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 01:09:34 AM »
How many players at one time?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 01:52:38 AM »
[quote a
As I looooove House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return, I'm very happy about this prequel. Expect a review!
uthor=GoldenPhoenix link=topic=27133.msg479093#msg479093 date=1231805438]

I know I've heard it on IGN, also on VGchartz. This all combined with the fact that it motivated Sega to create another sequel is why I think the numbers are legit.
[/quote]

Please don't quote VG Chartz. They are a unreliable sources that pulls their numbers out of their ass.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 02:11:40 AM »
A little longer would be nice, but I'm looking forward to a short game.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 02:32:59 AM »
[quote a
uthor=GoldenPhoenix link=topic=27133.msg479093#msg479093 date=1231805438]

Please don't quote VG Chartz. They are a unreliable sources that pulls their numbers out of their ass.
[/quote]

That would be true if it was only VG Chartz, but perhaps the biggest proof that it had good sales is Sega creating the game. It seems pretty obvious to me they released HOTD2/3 as a test to see how people would respond to the series. Even if VGchartz was off by 100% the OTHER way that is still 450k sold of a game that is cheap (though good) port.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 03:06:00 AM »
I am SOOOO saving the INTERNETS

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2009, 06:46:08 AM »
I don't mind VGChartz numbers, they're... fun guesstimates when there's nothing else to go on. However, if IGN said so, that's reassuring. And of course, Sega's obviously pleased! So I'm quite hapopy for HOTD2+3, especially since I haven't found time to buy a copy... so.... all that wonderful third party success was done without me lifting a finger!

Finally the third-party fairy can take a break...

Woah Ningurl/Pro666! I almost want that shotgun shell... just to have as a toy... lol.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2009, 10:06:23 AM »
Regarding VGchartz, I know their numbers are estimates, but the official numbers are pretty close to what they say. Like Golden said, if IGN and Sega confirmed the numbers then the VGchartz numbers proved the game was a success.

Regarding Overkill, it is made of so much cheesy win I hope it does well (and I think it will, with Nintendo backing out the game will shine better).
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2009, 12:14:10 PM »
How many players at one time?

Yes what is the answer to this?

I will buy this game.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2009, 06:51:14 PM »
2-players are confirmed and indicated in screen shots; there are two known story protagonists at this point.

I haven't heard any mentions of 4-player party modes or similar.  It would be a nice thing, since Ghost Squad also included party modes.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2009, 07:36:42 PM »
I am SOOOO saving the INTERNETS

You'll have to beat this guy to it first

February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.