Author Topic: Guitar Hero World Tour (No Prince confirmed! WHAAAA!)  (Read 114331 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Re: Guitar Hero World Tour
« Reply #450 on: March 20, 2009, 03:00:14 PM »
i'm tired of band centric games.

If we need one more band centric game though, I would be quite excited for a GH/RB: Led Zeppelin.

There are rumors that GH: Motley Crue will happen.

Activision is going extremely overboard with the franchise.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 20, 2009, 03:49:09 PM »
I'm really saddened that not one of you has ever mentioned the Tool songs or the special Tool-themed venue.

Because the Tool songs are long and boring to play. I found them very repetitive. I've even played them with Tool fans and they agreed that they are not good songs for music games. And the Tool stage? Ridiculous. What's the point on picking characters to play as with special outfits if you don't see them? I wish I never unlocked the Tool stage because now that preposterous stage randomly appears and ruins my fun, frequently. They should not have put three Tool songs on-disk either. I don't think artist's should have had more than one song each on the disk. Save the other songs from artists for DLC because then more people can enjoy and be happy with what is initially offered on-disk.

Now I have three songs that are wastes of space and an annoying stage that is a waste of space and counter intuitive to normal Guitar Hero play. If you ejoy them, vudu, than I am glad, I would be happy to know that some people out there enjoy them because everyone I've played those songs with--whether they are a Tool fan or not-- have disliked them.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 24, 2009, 11:42:31 AM »
April DLC:

Pixies Track Pack: April 2nd
"Debaser"
"Monkey Gone to Heaven"
"The Sad Punk"

Silversun Pickups Track Pack: April 9th
"Panic Swith"
"It's Nice to Know You Work Alone"
"Well Thought Out Twinkles"

Steely Dan Track Pack: April 16th
"Black Friday"
"Kid Charlemange"
"Bodhisattva"

Motorhead Track Pack: April 23rd
"Jailbait"
"Love Me Like A Reptile"
"Iron Fist"
*this is all re-records

Nirvana Track Pack: April 30th
"Very Ape"
"Sappy"
"Stay Away"

Steely Dan, Motorhead = WIN.
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 24, 2009, 09:53:55 PM »
OMFG THE PIXIES!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 25, 2009, 06:46:51 PM »
OMFG THE PIXIES! indeed.  This makes me with I had World Tour.  Surfer Rosa and Doolittle need to be released in their entirity.  If that's not possible, at least give me Vamos!  <3 guitars on that song. 
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 25, 2009, 10:04:38 PM »
OMFG THE PIXIES! indeed.  This makes me with I had World Tour.  Surfer Rosa and Doolittle need to be released in their entirity.  If that's not possible, at least give me Vamos!  <3 guitars on that song. 

haha the guitars rock but nothing would beat being drunk with friends and shouting "vamos a jugar por la playa vamos a jugar por la playyyaaaaaa"
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 30, 2009, 04:33:33 PM »
So, I picked up GHWT. Having lots of fun w/ the dlc (Raconteurs, Shins = AWESOME) so far, catching up on stuff that I kept seeing go by over the past months...

A couple things I noticed, in comparison to Rock Band 2:

1) I really like the drums – the elevation of the cymbals adds a welcome element of realism/fun to the gameplay. Oh, and no sensitivity issues with my drumset, so that's a relief.

2) I really, really, really miss the "save your teammates" dynamic from RB. It's such a huge part of the gameplay, and makes for such engrossing and exciting play sessions. I can't tell you the rush I've gotten from barely getting through a song at a difficulty higher than you're really comfortable with, saving your fellow rockers and being saved by them along the way. Skin of your teeth sort of gameplay = win. Without it, it feels like there's a gaping hole in GHWT's gameplay.

3) Characters animate more realistically and feature more believable facial expressions when singing/rocking/etc. in RB than GHWT. The GHWT models look like emotionless dolls much of the time, which is creepy, honestly. :P

4) Harmonix regularly shafts the Wii user (starting w/ shoddy/late/gimped RB port and lately with dlc discrepancies across versions - for example, 360/PS3 get Pearl Jam this week, but not Wii). It's so nice to see that Activision seems to bend over backward to get awesome/diverse (I actually downloaded some country tracks the other day, and they were awesome!) songs to all platforms concurrently.

5) I've noticed some differences in charts... or rather, the writing of charts, how they're arranged/put together. I can't quite put my finger on how the "chart-writers" are different between games, but... yeah, there's definitely a noticeable difference. It's interesting. Oh, and it's also interesting how the difficulty levels scale differently. For example, WT shows its roots by having more difficult guitar charts in general than in RB. And in RB, difficulty for drums is higher than in WT.

So, some good differences, some bad. I like having access to both though, and will likely split my dlc purchases between the two games.
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 31, 2009, 12:26:38 PM »
i disagree with the drums being harder in RB, i find them a breeze on hard, when in GHWT i tend to struggle on medium for certain songs. It might have to do with the extra pad though.
In RB if i know a cymbal part is coming up, i'll hit the GH drums Orange cymbal pad which is Blue in RB, and if i know a part is played on a tom i'll hit the normal blue pad instead. If i don't know the song that well, it throws me off because its unnatural for me to be hitting in one spot when i'm used to hitting another for a differnt sound. Does that make sense? meh you'll figure it out.

as far as the note charts, i've heard over and over how GH sucks for "over charting" but to be honest, i don't see it that way. Sure they 'over' chart more than RB does but i've never noticed notes where they shouldn't be as people claim. I can't even play guitar in RB anymore cuz even on expert the songs feel so damn easy, yet in GH they're still a challenge. I've also noticed that when i play a song i know how to play on a real guitar, i find my fingers dancing around the fake fretboard as they would on a real one (minus string elevation issues of course) so to me it feels more realistic playing the songs as close to note to note as a video game can get. If anything i feel like RB under-charts and takes away from my experience. Thats just my personal preference though.

One other thing i like about GHWT over RB2 is the way the game progresses. Its annoying to get thru the career mode in RB2 and having to replay certain songs over and over again just to earn enough stars to unlock the next venue or whatever. In GH you might have to play a shitty song or two, but once you get to the end you never have to replay those songs because you'll have everything unlocked for quickplay. I'm dragging my feet to finish the career mode, playing songs from horrible acts such as Panic at the Disco over and over again, when as far as i know i've already unlocked all the songs there are to unlock already. My downfall is i refuse to use cheatcodes (if RB even has any).

I will admit that the save your bandmate feature is pretty cool, works great when playing with my gf on some harder songs, or when my friends are too drunk to sing properly, or get lost playing drums lol. It sucks being in the groove of a song and failing.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 31, 2009, 01:28:11 PM »
Maybe its because of the people I play with but there seems to be an abundance of star power. I think they never use it so I find myself constantly activating it just to try and use it all before the end of the song.

I've noticed that I can't do the guitar tip to activate star power anymore. Is there an option to turn it back on or did they remove this feature?
My Game Collection

Offline decoyman

• View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 31, 2009, 01:51:15 PM »
I was comparing Medium to Medium with regards to drum difficulty. It could just be that the drum charting in the GHWT songs I've played has been teh crap, as it was easy and repetitive/boring. At least in RB, you're given drum fill parts when star power is ready, meaning if you don't activate it, you could have like a third of the song as drum fill where you can basically just jam. In general, I prefer RB's method of activating star power for drums.

Yes, RB has the same "unlock all" cheat code.

I haven't really run into the "have to repeat songs" part that you're talking about in RB, EC, and my band is pretty far into the career mode. You know you can use dlc for your "create a setlist" options, right? We use that all the time, and put together awesome setlists of songs we all love instead of being stuck w/ songs we've already played.

The save your bandmate feature isn't just "pretty cool"... it's the feature that makes the game transcend "fun" and enter into the realm of utter "jump around the room yipping and hooting" exhilaration. This is probably the main reason, even though GHWT does indeed do some things better, that RB will still remain the "dominant band game" around my place.

Stratos, it's still in the game. Don't know if there's a way to turn it off somehow, but it's definitely still in there.
Twitter

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: March 31, 2009, 02:20:50 PM »
as far as the note charts, i've heard over and over how GH sucks for "over charting" but to be honest, i don't see it that way. Sure they 'over' chart more than RB does but i've never noticed notes where they shouldn't be as people claim. I can't even play guitar in RB anymore cuz even on expert the songs feel so damn easy, yet in GH they're still a challenge. ... If anything i feel like RB under-charts and takes away from my experience.

I've never really thought about it until now, but I wonder if Harmonix "under-charts" because downloadable content is such a major part of their business strategy.  If the songs that come on the disc grow too easy you're going to be more likely to buy new songs via download.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline decoyman

• View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 31, 2009, 03:10:02 PM »
Well, from what I've read on the RB forums, the way the developers of that game handle charting is do one track as faithfully to the actual notes as possible. This becomes the expert track, and the other tracks are downgraded appropriately.

Anyone know how GH does it?

It's an interesting theory, vudu... a teensy bit devious, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Twitter

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 31, 2009, 05:25:53 PM »
I've noticed that I can't do the guitar tip to activate star power anymore. Is there an option to turn it back on or did they remove this feature?

I think it's a little harder to do in WT.  A quick jerk seems to be more effective to me, but that's almost as likely to mess me up as hitting the button for it.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 31, 2009, 06:29:48 PM »
i haven't bought any DLC for RB, the reason being i wanted to complete what the game had to offer before spending more money on it that might not be worth it. With the way i feel about it, its not. I can't get over how easy the songs are, and even though RB is the better of the two for multiplayer (for the same gameplay feature you praise it for), the truth is other than my girlfriend, who is only now comfortable enough with the game to do songs on medium, i don't play multiplayer all that often so the songs on the disc would be enough to suffice. GHWT would get more of my money from DLC, if they put stuff out more frequently, because i know there will at least be a challenge for me in a single player experience.

I've heard the same thing about how Harmonix charts its songs, but i still feel after playing both games extensively at this point that GH does songs better on expert. I think it has something to do more with what they chart as opposed to how its charted.. I can't play "go your own way" by Fleetwood Mack in Rockband anymore. If you compare the two games side beside with this one, you'll notice how the two devs differ when it comes to charting:

GH: The game has you playing the acoustic chords that start off the track

RB: The game has you playing the (palm-muted) power chords that you can hear in the background, more subtle than the acoustic intro.

You don't know how many times that's thrown me off  because I'm use to playing the more prominent guitar parts in a song, and not just  because of Guitar Hero, but as a guitarist not used to playing music with a second guitarist. When my friends and i would jam, it'd usually be one of us on guitar and that was usually me, if we covered a song I'd find away to play a song written on two guitars for one, usually that involved playing the leads (not just lead solos) and letting the bass make up for rhythm.

Because of the way GH has its notes charted just so happens to be more in line with my playing style, i have to be a lil more biased towards it. Oh well. Once i realized the way they differ, it made more sense. GH(WT) is still a Guitar Hero game, one that wants you to act out your fantasies about becoming a Guitar God or whatever, where as Rock Band is THE band game, one meant for you and your friends.. so its only fitting that guitar takes precedent over the other instruments in WT.

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: March 31, 2009, 08:09:13 PM »
RB definitely has co-op down pat.  But solo and competitive is still in GH's court IMO.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #465 on: March 31, 2009, 09:37:03 PM »
RB definitely has co-op down pat.  But solo and competitive is still in GH's court IMO.

pretty much. No reason why both series cant co-exist, other than fanboys.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: April 01, 2009, 04:52:54 PM »
The stupidest thing about the GH/RB rivalry is that both games are on all systems so anyone could always just buy BOTH.  Part of why Sonic and Mario had a rivalry is because they were exclusives for different consoles so most people could only play one or the other and likely would have based their console purchase on which game they preferred.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 01, 2009, 05:56:37 PM »
Yeah, I got the World Tour band kit and then I picked up Rock Band 2 in January. I prefer the GH instrument and interface, but I find RB to have a more enjoyable Career mode and more DLC options.

Though GH has re-bought my support by adding one of my favorite European bands: Within Temptation. This band and Nightwish were my two most desired bands. I want their music on the games so much that I am willing to D/L those songs for both RB and GH so I always have the option to play them no matter which game I have loaded at the time.
My Game Collection

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 07, 2009, 01:29:31 AM »
Just and update on the SD card issue that occured with the 4.0 system update.

I just tested the hot swap trick that people have discovered to work with Rock Band and it also works on GHWT.

Here is the link to what they recommend

But the gist is you get an SD card that works and boot the game with it in the system. You D/L any song with it. Then you swap out the card with your other card that doesn't work and it should work as normal. It let my old 4gb non-SDHC card work again no problem and I can boot up again with the 4gb card in the system and it still works just fine like before.

Now I'm back in business. The only catch is that you can only use the card for RB/GH DLC. If you try to boot the card in the SD Channel then it gets an error and you might have to do the hot swap trick in the game again for the game to accept your card once more.

So use your one card for your RB/GH DLC and another one (which can be SDHC) for your WW/VC material.
My Game Collection

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: April 27, 2009, 10:56:52 PM »
*BUMP*  there's a free "Metalcore" track pack coming on the 7th.

Consisting:
"On Broken Glass" - Chimaira
"Dez Moines" - The Devil Wears Prada
"Grave of Opportunity" - Unearth

Not really my taste, but it's free so what the hell?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: April 27, 2009, 11:14:11 PM »
Nice to know. I was just wondering what was coming out next month. Did the list already get posted and I just missed it somehow?

I also heard that the GH Van Halen is going to appear some time this Summer.
My Game Collection

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #471 on: April 27, 2009, 11:17:51 PM »
Wait, what is this? I haven't played GH since the new Wii update...

All my songs are gonna be corrupted because I used the card in the SD channel?
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 27, 2009, 11:21:50 PM »
Only if it is one of the 4gb non-SDHC cards.

And if that's the case just get a different compatible card, boot GH and D/L one song onto it and then hot swap with your 4gb card that has all your songs and you are good to go until you use the channel with that card again.
My Game Collection

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 27, 2009, 11:26:22 PM »
Nice to know. I was just wondering what was coming out next month. Did the list already get posted and I just missed it somehow?

Nope, these were confirmed via myspace and the bands' websites.  The May DLC will be announced "Sooner than you think" says Neversoft. 

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 27, 2009, 11:27:51 PM »
Watch, since I don't have a home internet connection for the next month all the coming tracks will be ones I have been hoping to see.
My Game Collection