Author Topic: The Conduit  (Read 489813 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: The Conduit
« Reply #1125 on: April 27, 2009, 04:18:13 PM »
I guess it's confirmed that Wii Speaking is open for all Team Friends in multiplayer.

I wanted to post something with more Hatorade(R), but I ran out of juice.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1126 on: April 27, 2009, 04:28:42 PM »
You got a link for that Pro?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #1127 on: April 27, 2009, 04:39:39 PM »
RawMeatCowman.profit

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1128 on: April 27, 2009, 04:43:16 PM »
Just checked over there and there is more info than that. Could you post the details?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #1129 on: April 27, 2009, 04:57:18 PM »
High Voltage discusses more multiplayer details for The Conduit - WiiSpeak limited to friends/friends of friends, Friend Code details, and more
The following information comes from Josh Olson, Producer at High Voltage Software…

* Proximity voice only applies for Free-for-All games. Team chat is used for Team Reaper and Team Objective game types. You can’t, however, talk to members on the opposing team in team games.
* You can only talk to Friends and Friends of Friends with WiiSpeak per Nintendo guidelines. While we would have liked to have been able to open it up to everyone, we’re obligated to follow Nintendo’s requirements.
* You can mute/unmute anyone, both in the Lobby and in-game.
* There is a ranking and XP system.
* You can add Friends in-game without having to manually enter a Friend Code either through sending a console friend request to a Wii console friend or through our UI if a player is a Friend of a Friend. For everyone else, you’ll have to manually enter their Friend Code. Again, we’re obligated to follow Nintendo requirements for Friend Codes.
* We won’t be supporting DLC or system updates for The Conduit. It’s something that we’ve looked at very closely and plan to implement moving forward with our future titles.

Well, that news on WiiSpeak is going to make things a bit more difficult. It really shows you just how Nintendo can impact a game with their restrictions on voice chat.

Full post here

Link

Posted April 27th, 2009 at 12:49 pm | News by RMC, Wii
Comments RSS | Leave a Comment | Trackback

55 Responses to “High Voltage discusses more multiplayer details for The Conduit - WiiSpeak limited to friends/friends of friends, Friend Code details, and more”
MrBubbles Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 12:51 pm
I really, really, hate Nintendo.

LAN play was one thing but this, dohohoho.

What Nintendo won’t stoop to keep their family friendly image at our expense.

In before insane people try to damage control by mentioning XBL, while ignoring PSN is a free service and doesn’t house the same amount of idiots.

King_Dodongo Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 12:55 pm
the conduit support is fine, RMC, but you need to support campaign other games like muramasa and LKS

cheswick Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 12:56 pm
@MrBubbles: I don’t find PSN any better in terms of morons on it. I think it really depends on the game you’re playing.

Kenichi340 Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 12:57 pm
This game is sounding better and better.

keyz Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 1:01 pm
Mr. Bubbles

“PSN is a free service and doesn’t house the same amount of idiots.” LMAO!!!!!! Really? Everytime i go to my friends house who has a ps3 it sounds just as bad as xbl. Calling us insane for not wanting that on our system is insane. Why do you come to the wii message boards ? Sounds like someone has a problem. If you like psn, go to the playstation room. For this news, it still sounds bad ass. Atleast we have voice chat and its refreshing to hear about the mute feature. I also like how they implemented the add a friend without the friend code. I cant wait to play this game!!!!!!!!!!!

MrBubbles Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 1:02 pm
It depends but whenever Nintendo games are handicapped by lack of full on voice speak, people tend to mention the fact XBL sucks means this is a good reason to exclude it.

Olimar_91 Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 1:04 pm
“I really, really, hate Nintendo”

I think you’re on the wrong site then.

MrBubbles Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 1:04 pm
This is what Nintendo fans actually believe, it’s a shame. I don’t blame you, it’s the company who caused you to be like this.

Oh well.

Maybe if you actually bought the console you’re criticizing you would see the flaws in your argument.

Scarpine Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 1:05 pm
Oh, it must be a real joy to read Nintendo’s requirements for online communication and friend codes.

Waynebrizzle Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 1:05 pm
Online sounds as good as MK’s at least, if not better. That’s always what I was hoping for.

lorddarkflare Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 1:06 pm
Very true. Also, PsN DOES have issues because of the fact that it is free. One thing being that devs have to pay for the bandwith and that may be a problem later on in regards to content. And let us not forget the suckfest which is Psp online.

t27duck Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 1:08 pm
“* We won’t be supporting DLC or system updates for The Conduit. It’s something that we’ve looked at very closely and plan to implement moving forward with our future titles. ”

Awesome. No security patches means once the game is hacked it’ll be overran with cheaters. GG Nintendo.

bradford1872 Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 1:08 pm
they need to start a marketing campaign for the parental controls on the wii. If they did that then maybe they wouldn’t have so many limitations on wii speak

MrBubbles Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 1:09 pm
@Olimar_91

Everything about the Wii is half-assed. I own more Wii games than Ps3 games and it’s disheartening to see fanboys like him justify this handicapped voice system with insane arguments like HURRR DURR MY THUMBS ARE TOO FAR FROM THE CONTROLLER TO HIT MUTE PLAYER, MURR.

Jesus Christ, do you people actually believe what you write?

Someone is annoying, mute them. I never had to mute anyone over the 4 months I have had my Ps3.

EatChildren Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 1:12 pm
Nintendo still don’t have a top tier online service no matter how vehemently people argue for it.

Look, MKWii was awesome and The Conduit sounds plenty enjoyable, but in the grand scheme of things Nintendo really don’t step up to standard of online gaming. It’s very frustrating, as I can see that they want to do things their own way and try things others are not (eg: parental controls), and I respect them (to a degree) for this, but rather than offer ALTERNATIVES for those who want full features they just crap all over it for everyone.

Disabling Wii Speak for non-friends is just silly. The whole “I DONT WANT TO HEAR ANNOYING PEOPLE” argument is moot, as a simple mute function, which The Conduit already has, would fix this.

Instead, Nintendo just stop the communication outright. Ironically, it doesn’t matter if the title is rated for the whole family, or for adults only; everyone still must follow the same strict rulings.

Come on Nintendo. Cut the rot.

Eternal Rain Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 1:14 pm
” There is a ranking and XP system”

That’s all I needed to hear. WiiSpeak support is unimportant to me, just give me a ranking system like World at War and I’ll be fine.

Waynebrizzle Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 1:14 pm
I still say friend codes should be a parental control instead of standard.

MrBubbles Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 1:18 pm
Still, despite all this, you have to admire High Voltage for still putting up with these limitations.

They want to put out a FPS experience on Wii that rivals PS3 and 360 shooters.

And this experience is coming to Wii with not just graphical downgrade, but communication downgrade in general. As well as LAN play getting the axe too.

HighVoltageSoftware has to have masochists who are running the company or just dedicated fanboys for the Wii. I’m leaning on both.

Logical Thinking Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 1:21 pm
There is a reason why Nintendo put in all these limitations, because they don’t alienate people like the PC internet models does. Do some simple research people before you whine again about this subject.

keyz Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 1:24 pm
MrBubbles

“I never had to mute anyone over the 4 months I have had my Ps3.” Do you know what room your in? Your making yourself look stupid man. For not being able to talk to random people, sure thats annoying, but thats what nintendo believes is right. If your that worried about talking to random people, there one thing you can do….stop playing your ps3 and make friends like everybody else. You guys come in here and act like its the end of the world if you cant talk to everybody on your wii and how the ps3 is sooooooooo much better becuase of it. Sales show different. People seem pleased with the wii and its online. You ps3 and xbox fanboys that dont have lives are the only ones who have a problem with it. If its that hard to meet friends, Nintendo is not going to be able to help you with that problem bub.

Eternal Rain Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 1:24 pm
@Logical Thinking
I don’t play PC games, so what limitations do they have? I always thought of PC games as being more free because of things like mods.

MrBubbles Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 1:28 pm
I had a feeling you would show up Rain. To rain down on my parade, dohohoho. What’s your take on this?

keyz Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 1:28 pm
LMAO

Logical Thinking Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 1:30 pm
I wasn’t talking about any PC online limitations, I was talking about Nintendo trying to keep console online models different than that from PC’s. Microsoft and Sony consoles are basically casualized gaming centric pcs, which means they brought over all the PC’s values with them. Nintendo has done studies and found that most people (hardcores are the minority) have severe complaints with the PC online model, with some even avoiding said games online due to them. Examples of these problems includes racism, obnoxiousness and solicitations.

While I won’t say one is better than the other, but I will say that it’s stupid to hate on Nintendo for being conservative and sticking with what works. You can thank the angry homophobic 13 year old Xbox live kid sprouting obscenities and racial slurs for Nintendo’s reluctance .

keyz Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 1:35 pm
What i think is great about this announcement. Because even with that bubbles guy us nintendo boys can stay positive.

1.In team matches you cant hear people on the other team( for strategic play)
2.You can mute people who you dont want to talk to
3. You dont have to manually enter your friends’ friends
4. You can send a console request or through their UI to get around friend codes
5. Theres a Ranking and XP system.
6. Theres a lobby system so you can talk to your friends before the game

Im so psyched. I personally love the wii speak implementation. They did it the right way and its come a long way since animal crossing. Hats off to HVS

Waynebrizzle Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 1:37 pm
I’m not going to argue that the limited communication is good, but some of you act like this is the first you’ve heard of the friend code system. Were you really expecting anything else?

Personally, if the game plays with relatively little lag, I’m good to go. I like communicating with other players on occasion, but most of the time it’s just not worth it for me. (online at least. I don’t ignore my friends or anything!)

keyz Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 1:38 pm
very nicely said Logical Thinking. I agree totally

Kindrik Says:

F***, Nintendo. This is bulls***. They’re shooting themselves in the foot and just ruining online multiplayer games for me.

MrBubbles Says:

@Logical Thinking

Blame Nintendo us? You jest?

Even Sakurai wanted to do voice over IP with Brawl but couldn’t.

Rahooligan92 Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 1:40 pm
I got mad when it said no universal voice chat, but then I read “XP and ranking system”, and suddenly, I’m happy.

and BTW, we should all just add each other, so we’d have this large system of condtui friends, and someway or the other, we’d manage to be friends of friends… so we can talk to each other.

OH, and MrBubbles… go get a life and quit replying to our posts. Take PSN’s dick out of your mouth and try talking then.
“DOHOHOHO”

Eternal Rain Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 1:40 pm
@MrBubbles
My take? All I care about is that the game has a ranking system like World at War. The WiiSpeak stuff doesn’t concern me since I honestly do not care for talking online with others while playing games, though it’s highly likely that this is solely because I’m still new to online gaming. I’d probably have more of an opinion if it was something I cared about, but I don’t really have one.

DLC probably would have been a nice thing to have, but I can live without it.

MrBubbles Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 1:41 pm
EXACTLY.

Kindrik, it’s one thing for Nintendo to aim and shoot themselves multiple times in their own foot with their online model.

It’s another to ask High Voltage Software to use Ninty’s gun and buy their own ammo to shoot themselves as well.

It’s mindboggling. And this is from the same Nintendo that let that old BMX game be released with nudity on the GC while Sony and Microsoft had their version censored.

keyz Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 1:46 pm
LMAO at mr bubbles. He gets one guy that i never see in here to say something like that and he jumps all over it. Now i see why the kid has so much trouble trying to meet friends. He didnt reply to my post though did he. He must think hes doing something good for the world when hes in here talking smack about nitnendo in a nitnendo room.

NeroSuferoth Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 1:47 pm
“They’re shooting themselves in the foot and just ruining online multiplayer games for me.”

Hahhahaah… yes, HARDcoreZZZ bitching about not being able to use Wiispeak freely will certainly be the “downfall” of Nintendo.

MrBubbles Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 1:51 pm
I find it very funny and very sad that the kids who insult me with terrible comments are the same people who look down upon the XBL fanbase for being racist and homophobic, etc. yet do so themselves here. Y

ou’re rude and obnoxious and the fact you twist everything to justify any criticism just goes to show how underage you truly are. I have a Ps3 and since I don’t have a Gaming PC, I compare the online model that HighVoltageSoftware wants to bring to the Wii.

I know, shocking.

You’re no better than they are and you proved it right here. If you can’t even put out rational arguments and especially if you insult me, I’m not going to argue with you.

MrBubbles Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 1:55 pm
@NeroSuferoth

The point —> Hi, Nero, I’m here.

Your head
v
v
v
v

What? What I’d miss?

If Nintendo wants to limit their online approach, let them do it by themselves. HVS got LAN play working on the Wii, isn’t that great? Oh nope, it doesn’t follow Nintendo’s insane guidelines this generation, can’t have none of that here (despite how Nintendo themselves had LAN play for Mario Kart Double Dash).

Your hyperbole sucks and you’re making stuff up, I never said they will kill hardcore gaming, I said their limiting OTHER developers who are making their system look even better to the crowd they so desperately are out of touch nowadays (Smiles, puppies, Fatal Frame IV etc)

Automation Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 1:56 pm
Boo they should’ve mentioned this in the first place rather than hyped it up so much.

Raaa Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 1:57 pm
Friends of friends is good enough for me, but I understand that some people get pissed off about it.

Eternal Rain Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 1:57 pm
You people realize that insulting MrB isn’t going to do you any good? At least try and be rational with your comments and don’t post crap like “eff off.”

I don’t agree with his opinions half the time, but at least I don’t just say to him “**** you” and the like.

:_O Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 2:01 pm
Wow, those restrictions are damaging. On top of that, there wasn’t any Wii Speak compability in Excitebots.

IAMERROR Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 2:03 pm
““* We won’t be supporting DLC or system updates for The Conduit. It’s something that we’ve looked at very closely and plan to implement moving forward with our future titles. ””

Sweet. Can’t wait to see the game ruined by glitchers like MPH and CoDWaW.

Is that dude floating?

Hey look, a guy under the map! Sweet!

NeroSuferoth Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 2:03 pm
My comment wasn’t directed at you Bubbles..

While I understand how some people would prefer a constriction free servise, I understand why they do it and frackly it doesn’t bother me that much.

What I meant was that is ludicrous to belive that the minority that represents the Wii’s hardcore crowd complaining about Nintendo trying to protect its on-line users from hate speech, solicitation and so on, will have an impact on how Nintendo handles its on-line servise.

linkdarkshadow Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 2:04 pm
I own a Wii and a PS3. I have more Wii games than PS3 games… a lot more(in other words, Nintendo fanboy here).
So I can say this without being too biased, Nintendo’s online system and its restrictions is a pile of decaying dog excrement topped with whipped cream and a cherry on top. The system tries to be safe, but because it is so safe it is numbingly shitty. Some people defend it, though don’t know why… because you will find idiots anywhere regardless of system.
Sony’s free online system in the other hand when compared, is light years ahead of Nintendo’s.

NeroSuferoth Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 2:05 pm
…and let along do some significant damage to the company.

MrBubbles Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 2:06 pm
@Raaa

I’m not even angry at the Friend Codes this time around, I don’t care about Friend Codes because the Wii will never had a universal type of buddy system. It just wasn’t designed like that.

I am angry that features like these are trimmed to please Nintendo…and it isn’t even their own game to begin with.

Sure there are guidelines they have to follow, just like all companies this generation have a system to weed out shovelware (just not Nintendo this time around).

But when the technology is there and it’s feasible why deny us a full-blown out FPS experience that can actually stand toe to toe with another FPS on a 360/Ps3 experience.

Doesn’t make a bit of sense, they don’t want a game marketed for the hardcore crowd to fall into little Billy’s hand and have him hear cuss words/etc?

It’s a part of life. People are jerks. And luckily we can deal with it online with the mute button.

unfortunate420 Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 2:08 pm
I don’t see a huge problem, but I also don’t chat to anyone other than friends when playing games as it is, so maybe that is why.

I like the systems they have implemented, though. I’m glad that when I play with friends, I can add “friends of friends” automatically without getting their friend codes.

Friend codes aren’t that great, we all know that, but at least some developers find ways to keep the process as easy and seemless as possible. We’ve lived with FCs since the DS went online a few years ago, so I think we’ll survive.

EA uses their own online system for Wii games, so maybe Sega should have considered hosting their own Conduit online mode so that there would be no restrictions.

One day, I’d love to see Nintendo adopt a parental control policy that let parents decide whether or not a game needs to be played with friend codes and if voice chat is okay. That would be a win for everyone. (Not for me particularly because I am not a super huge online gamer and only like to talk to select people when playing games online, anyway, but for the rest of you who HATE the restrictions…it’ll be a win).

I wish HVS would have embraced the idea of DLC and patched, though. Maybe for The Conduit 2, right?

TheWon Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 2:26 pm
Bubbles if there was a so called Hardcore gamer on the Wii. Those who are will just pirate the game anyway.
The people who want this game already have a 360 or PS3. They have been playing Halo and Killzone. So this game will just get passed up anyway.
No reason to put in the effort when you are fighting a up hill battle.

Chosenoneknuckles Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 2:33 pm
On top of that, there wasn’t any Wii Speak compability in Excitebots.

Not that a racing game actually needs it…

As for this whole shebang, even if I was getting the game I’m not a big online player anyway so whatever. Nintendo really should advertise and actually use the built in parental controls though, giving its long-time and traditional gamer fans the option to go without. It’s just silly really.

Nintendo’s Completely FUBAR « Gaming Addict Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 2:46 pm
[…] terrible friend code system. So when the guys at High Voltage Software mentioned that they were forced into only allowing voice chat with friends and friends of friends I can’t say that I was surprised, but I was definitely […]

gamepete64 Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 2:49 pm
I’m confused. So if we’re playing team deathmatch we can’t talk to our team unless they are our friend?

billwabo Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 2:51 pm
I was complaining for no wii speak on Excitebots but i’m all good with the wii speak support in The conduit. Thing is i want to talk to my friends, i don’t really care about strangers.

Gamekep Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 2:58 pm
Well even if some points are kindda bad (thanks Nintendo) there’s actually a lot of things that look better than alot of games

Shaanyboi Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 2:59 pm
F*** Nintendo and their lame-ass requirements….

no wonder the industry views them as a joke

Jonath Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 3:08 pm
There’s no point in arguing about it, it won’t lead anywhere. I for one look forward to playing with some fellow GoNintendo readers and their friends.

Super-Chris Says:

April 27th, 2009 at 3:33 pm
I really hate Nintendo sometimes.

Leave a Reply
Logged in as . Logout »

Your Ad Here
GoNintendo is proudly powered by WordPress
Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1130 on: April 27, 2009, 05:00:43 PM »
Lol Pro! I could of done without all the comments.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: April 27, 2009, 05:03:54 PM »
Someone's commented since Super-Chris.  Can you please update the post?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #1132 on: April 27, 2009, 05:06:13 PM »
Sure.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #1133 on: April 27, 2009, 05:08:34 PM »
Actually vudu, you suck.  Super-Chris was the lastest post in this time zone, and his comment sums up the post nicely.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: April 27, 2009, 06:33:13 PM »
But I LIKE devious tactics like hiding proximity mines in the shadows.
That isn't really a devious tactic because proximity mines are meant to be used in such a manner. Shooting the body armour is just plain low.

In Perfect Dark, I loved to stick a remote mine onto someone without them realizing it, then detonating it when they least expect it. When they've just finished stocking up on weapons and are about to hunt for a firefight and then suddenly explode, their facial expression is priceless.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: April 27, 2009, 11:01:45 PM »
Those voice-chat limitations don't seem to me to be that deterring from a good online experience.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: April 27, 2009, 11:26:24 PM »
But I LIKE devious tactics like hiding proximity mines in the shadows.
That isn't really a devious tactic because proximity mines are meant to be used in such a manner. Shooting the body armour is just plain low.

In Perfect Dark, I loved to stick a remote mine onto someone without them realizing it, then detonating it when they least expect it. When they've just finished stocking up on weapons and are about to hunt for a firefight and then suddenly explode, their facial expression is priceless.

It's like stickying some poor bloke in Halo. Good times.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #1137 on: April 28, 2009, 10:43:37 AM »
I am so looking forward to The Conduit. Regardless of the voice chat. Though I am sure I will wish for a headset.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: April 28, 2009, 12:38:03 PM »
But I LIKE devious tactics like hiding proximity mines in the shadows. That was always fun to do in Goldeneye with the cave level.

remote/proximity mine the body armour then pick it up and its invisible.... :)

Psh, my friends and I would just throw proximity mines on spawn points.  Nothing like getting blown up 4 times in a row without even touching the controller.  ;D

Who says we didn't do that? It was always a race between me and my friend Joe to plant proxys at every spawn point of the facility then see who can kill the other first with the weakest available gun. Once one was dead, the other would race to put another proximity mine in the spawn point the other player died at and just see how long we could keep it going.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: April 28, 2009, 12:48:37 PM »
Why is Golden Eye still so classic? I frustrates the hell out of me.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: April 28, 2009, 01:06:01 PM »

I think it's mostly memories and nostalgia. I'm a huge Perfect Dark fan but I know if I played it today that would quickly fade and it would feel very dated, though that wouldn't stop me from buying the rumored XBLA release.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: April 28, 2009, 01:13:28 PM »

I think it's mostly memories and nostalgia. I'm a huge Perfect Dark fan but I know if I played it today that would quickly fade and it would feel very dated, though that wouldn't stop me from buying the rumored XBLA release.

This. Its funny that we played PD almost as much as Goldeneye (we have the memory cards to prove it) and it still just didn't feel the same..
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: April 28, 2009, 01:13:46 PM »
I think a lot the fun was the ridiculousness of the weapons you could use.  Nowadays the games the games are loosing the "silly" edge.  Dude, double rocket launchers/grenade launchers/gold guns FTW.

Plus the throwing knives were beyond awesome.
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: April 28, 2009, 01:15:45 PM »
Goldeneye has character. Its one of the first games, and still one of the few, that recognizes crotch shots. While that reason alone isn't the answer, its part of it. Seriously, when you play through some other FPS games, they are usually straight forward games of point and shoot. But when the game offers a touch of personality, it becomes a classic. Doom3? Nothing. Quake4? Nadda. Black? It doesn't get more straight forward than that. Quake 3 had that walking eyeball so that's something. Timesplitters? Monkey. Still not much of a classic though top notch.

Plus, a lot of people got into gaming thanks to the N64 and Goldeneye will forever hold a special place thanks to the frentic multiplayer action.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: April 28, 2009, 01:20:35 PM »
Goldeneye has character. Its one of the first games, and still one of the few, that recognizes crotch shots. While that reason alone isn't the answer, its part of it. Seriously, when you play through some other FPS games, they are usually straight forward games of point and shoot. But when the game offers a touch of personality, it becomes a classic. Doom3? Nothing. Quake4? Nadda. Black? It doesn't get more straight forward than that. Quake 3 had that walking eyeball so that's something. Timesplitters? Monkey. Still not much of a classic though top notch.

Plus, a lot of people got into gaming thanks to the N64 and Goldeneye will forever hold a special place thanks to the frentic multiplayer action.

What other games let you shoot hats off enemies and have the enemies NOT react of the shot was froma silenced pistol??

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: April 28, 2009, 01:27:41 PM »
One thing I loved from PD that I don't think anyone mentioned was the suitcases.
Throw them high up on the wall & let them do the work for you.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #1146 on: April 28, 2009, 01:56:51 PM »
Yeah all this Goldeneye love is proof CondomUnit will flop.  I can't imagine Pretendo fans trying a different shooter.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: April 28, 2009, 02:26:35 PM »
SHUT UP YOU DOODY HEAD! Get out of here with all your condom jive talkin

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: April 28, 2009, 04:00:39 PM »
One thing I loved from PD that I don't think anyone mentioned was the suitcases.
Throw them high up on the wall & let them do the work for you.

That was good too, albeit a lil cheap. You could throw it anywhere and get an easy kill, but laying mines in spawn points as your oppenent was dying at another spawn point took hard work and effort :)

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: April 28, 2009, 04:43:12 PM »
Those voice-chat limitations don't seem to me to be that deterring from a good online experience.

Yeah, I can't imagine ever wanting to be able to communicate with people on my team who AREN'T on my friends list.

Oh wait.

PS: Perfect Dark is LITERALLY everything Goldeneye was, but more and better.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown