Author Topic: A Dilemma Regarding Video Games...  (Read 4046 times)

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
A Dilemma Regarding Video Games...
« on: March 24, 2015, 09:19:28 AM »
Hey guys, I hate to clog the forum with my own threads, but I've been having some mixed feeling for a while about video games and I wanted to get the community's input on it.

I've had a video game blog going on for about four years now, and while it's no Super Phillip Central, it brought me great joy and I was proud when it got 20,000 hits a few months ago, however pathetic that number is. I have also been recording a podcast for a few months now called "Now Playing" that is about current releases and discussion topics. I've been expanding my presence in social media as well and I've had a number of good discussions with other people in the industry and overall, it's a very progressive time in my journey as a unprofessional games journalist.

The only problem is that I've begun to dislike video games.

I've been listening to RFN discuss recent events in the industry in addition to completionists, OCD, and self-betterment, and though these past few months have also been a great time for me as an artist and a healthy human being, I haven't been able to enjoy video games as much. Partially because of these talks, but also because I've tried playing more games and just felt more and more dissatisfied. Hyrule Warriors was a random title that really hooked me because of the massive amount of content, however repetitive, but during my wait I was playing titles like Guacamelee, Xeodrifter, Teslagrad, and others and coming away with very negative opinions, and it grew to the point where I threw a pretty poisonous article about indie games up on my site, where I had to tone down my language and feelings a lot because I thought it was just spiteful. I've stirred **** about Mario Galaxy and 3D Land several times here, and gotten a lot of flak for my taste in video games. I'm also starting to realize that lots of my favorite titles are being picked to pieces and it's making me question my own opinions, something I was once proud to share because I thought it had some worth.

I don't try to be on the edge of releases- I accept that, as long as I'm not receiving review copies for games, I will never be able to put out content early enough to be one of the first things people read- unless they like my opinions, and no one has shown any signs of feeling that way. I also don't put out as much content on my blog as I used to and I find my articles are lost in a sea of twitter updates and other garbage that is the same news story being reposted ad nauseum, but I can't rail too hard on that.

I think about everything I was excited for in 2015- Zelda, Xenoblade Chronicles X... maybe a few eShop titles. That is it. I bought a PSTV a month ago for use as an emulation machine and while some of the current Vita library appeals to me, it doesn't feel like any game is monumental in nature. I have been playing through Ironfall: Invasion, Pokemon Shuffle, and Iron Combat, but I am left with such an empty feeling by all three games when I finish it shocks me. Have I become bored with video games? Do I not love them as much? Or am I simply playing a majority of crap and become disenchanted by them?

I don't have any ideas other than walking away from video games for a few months, but that is not going to happen with my podcast in full swing and people making plans to finally come over and play Smash Bros. Hell, even that game terrifies me because I'm pretty decent at it and I'm afraid people who are casually interested in video games are going to be turned off by how I play it. That's why I wanted to open the discussion to you guys and see what you thought. Am I over-analyzing things?
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Re: A Dilemma Regarding Video Games...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 10:11:25 AM »
If you are getting burned out take a break or change things up. If you only want to cover retro stuff then do that. Nobody is going to hate you for doing another retro thing. I would love to get in on your podcast if you are looking for a new voice to share ideas with. I keep trying to get my own podcast going but things keep getting in the way. I would prefer to talk about more than video games, maybe movies too, even technology from time to time.

I want to ask how old you are first, which you don't have to answer obviously. I just ask because when I was in my mid-20's I went through a period where I lost interest in video games entirely too. I know others my age who had a similar loss of interest at around the same time too. For me it was smack in the middle of Wii generation and it hit me suddenly and out of the blue. I actually was loving the Wii and DS tremendously. I was having tons of fun with them. Then all of a sudden other things became more important. After a while my dissatisfaction with the way things were going turned into downright disgust so I walked away. I traded my DS into Game Stop and sold my Wii to a random couple on Craigslist.

I spent a few years catching up on movies and TV shows that I missed. For me motion pictures are a far more interesting medium than interactive games these days. But once I had seen all the movies and shows I missed I was having a hunger to get back into games. I kept gaming all along mostly retro gaming via emulators. I picked up a used Game Cube at a yard sale and grabbed some games and I loved it I really did. I didn't have the time to play ever so I just gave it all to a thrift store one day.

Now I am older, I have a better job, I am back in college, and life in general is much better. I have found a desire to play video games again. I would say that I am really hooked on retro games still, mostly old school games and new games that remind me of retro games. I enjoyed AVGN Adventures, Shovel Knight, Super Mario 3D World, and currently am really into Elliot's Quest. Plus I got bit by the Minecraft bug they, sadly, have yet to find a cure for.

Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 10:19:50 AM »
Yeah, I guess I'm hitting that mid-20s point, then. I just remember loving video games for a while- like, during 2012-2013 really, when things were hitting a really high point. But it's been hard to muster enthusiasm for the medium lately.

I have amassed quite a large retro backlog which I really want to get into again, actually. I'm eager to finish out the Phantasy Star games.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 11:03:52 AM »
Games I'm looking forward to:
Bloodborne
Persona 5
Splatoon (I blame NRW for getting me hyped)
Star Fox
Zelda
Xenoblade
Lord of Magna (Yup)

I'll be honest, I probably won't even get half those this year or for a while maybe. But add to that older games I want to pick up, its still a lot. It still should last for a year. So I block out all those **** games out there that are being released in droves. Evolve? Its dead. Its a failure. I've lost all love for the platformer genre. Its done to death, its overrated, I'm tired of it. FFXV? I hate the setting. KH3? Not really hyped for it. Waiting for almost a decade has dulled my devotion to the series. Most new IPs aren't good, they are bad. I get more enjoyment out of plugging in my N64 for a few days then wasting $50 on a 6 hour game. I could rant more, but right now I sound butthurt and drunk off of nostalgia. Point is, I do agree with you I think. I wouldn't say its being burnt out as much as it is the industry becoming more mediocre.

I'm into TF2 on PC after being disgusted with the console version. Have 400 hours in 3 months. I've spent maybe $50 in game already? A little less. And it still holds my interest (at least MvM does). If I get burned out for a bit, I have 3 other games I can play for while. I do intend to get a Wii U....eventually. Just don't have the money.

I'm going to stop because I don't know where I'm going with this.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 01:11:43 PM »
I was actually thinking of posting a similar topic. My family picked up an NES when I was five and I've been playing video games for nearly 25 years now, though I've definitely had lulls in college and grad school and during intense work stretches. My schedule has been pretty lax for the last few years as I've been primarily working freelance and part-time, and I've filled the extra hours with a probably unhealthy amount of games, especially having acquired a current-gen capable PC.

During this last span of time I've finally rid myself of OCD collectoritis (thanks AC: Black Flag!), and at this point no longer force myself to finish games I'm simply not enjoying (thanks Alien Isolation!). Like you, in the last month I've thought about what I'm actually looking forward to and not just waiting to play for something to do. For instance, Canvas Curse was okay, but I didn't need to buy it in retrospect, nor Bayonetta 2, given that I'm never going to touch it again having beat it.

I did pick up a New 3DS on whim a few weeks ago, and though 3D Land is a shrug of a game compared to 3D World, A Link Between Worlds is fantastic and has gotten me pumped for the WiiU game. I'm playing some Game Boy games I've always wanted to try, but this is basically period research as opposed to being particularly fun or engaging. But yeah, other than Zelda WiiU, I'm kind of scratching my head at this point and considering unplugging for a span.

Xenoblade X looks impressive, but I don't know if I've got it in me at this point. At one time I would've been pumped for Arkham Knight, but I didn't particularly like where City took the franchise, and Origins was plain shitty. And the more they show of Knight the less appealing it looks. I've pretty much had it with Ubi-style open world games and third-person shooters in general. Bloodborne looks slick compared to Dark Souls, but one playthrough of DS sated any need I have to put myself through that kind of experience again (not that I have a PS4). I was excited for The Witness, but the more they show of that and its apparently central mechanic the less interesting it looks.

On top of this, I have zero interest in online games, roguelikes, traditional RPGs, or tower defense games. Like you, I've found the so-called indie-Renaissance to be mostly nostalgia-throttled junk. I've gotten burnt out on Telltale-style faux adventure games. The retail landscape in general is turning into a wasteland besides.

I think part of this is just that I've sort of seen it all at this point, and give not a **** about game narrative, so every passing year everything feels samier, coupled with secular trends in the industry that have snuffed out ambitious experiments. For instance, ten years ago I might have found Oni and the Blind Forest riveting, but at this point I found it to be a yawn, less mechanically interesting and well-designed than Guacamelee even.

This is why the Nintendo mobile announcement has become bittersweet to me. I think the medium is moving on, and it may as well given the paucity of truly excellent games that are coming out of the traditional mindset. I likely won't go with it, nor do I have any interest in VR. And that's probably okay. I've spent a shameful percentage of my now-dwindling youth absorbed in video games and it might be time to walk anyway.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 01:38:50 PM »
There have been these brief moments of excitement over the past six months- playing The Keep pretty much nonstop, wiping out Shantae and the Pirate's Curse mercilessly, and of course, my first week with Smash for 3DS, but aside from that, maybe I'm hoping too hard for every new game to be as good an experience as those that are the most memorable. Going out of my way to expose myself to different genres has helped my analysis a bit more, but I felt cheated by games like Azure Striker Gunvolt and Shovel Knight- where people were clamoring about the latter, I didn't get the hype because that style of game has never done much for me, while the former was just an unpolished mess. I've wasted around 20 hours of my life on Fantasy Life and I'm not sure I'll ever want to pick it up again.

But at the same time, there's a part of me that knows, in 2013, I was craving games and devoured Sticker Star, and though I was disappointed, Etrian Odyssey IV came along not long after and blew my mind. I am hoping this is one of those lulls, but it's been very pronounced and prolonged, and no news I have heard lately has inspired me much.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 04:37:56 PM »
I go through lulls too - times when I really enjoy gaming and find games that strongly appeal to me, and times when it's just a light distraction that doesn't get me excited. That's seems natural and isn't something you should worry about. Taking a little break when you feel tired of gaming doesn't hurt... just don't get rid of your backlog, because it's nice to have something to come back to when the urge reappears.

As for games living up to the reputation others try to build, or staying current (relevant?) with trends in the gaming world... well I've kind of given up on both counts. Although I really enjoy hearing about what others are playing and what's happening in the gaming world, I recognize that the way those people play games is different than the way I play, and the qualities they look for in games often differ as well. There are a few people whose opinions are close enough to mine that they carry some weight, but that's rare. So I just march to my own beat, and don't worry that much.

For what it's worth, I liked hearing your opinions about games. I don't always agree with the, but that's ok.  So hopefully you don't end up so discouraged that you give up games for good.  :)
NNID: ejamer

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 04:45:38 PM »
I've had periods of time where I'm not very enthusiastic about games.  Despite owning consoles by other companies these sort of times were usually directly related to what Nintendo was doing.  Sometimes they have droughts and that's usually when I would get like that.  Evan, you mention you're looking forward to Zelda and Xenoblade.  Well those are on the Wii U and the Wii U is starved for releases right now.  There isn't much news to talk about or previews to get hyped about.  If the Wii U is your main focus it makes sense that you would not be in a gaming mood but you might get excited again once those games come out.

I've been pretty into gaming the last year and a half and it coincides with my 3DS purchase.  But I've been playing my PS3 a lot too, often with older games I missed out on.  In theory you would think not owning a Wii U would make me less connected to games since I've owned Nintendo consoles forever.  But I find I'm paying more attention to my 3DS and PS3.  I've been kind of freed up by not feeling tied to the erratic release schedule of a Nintendo console.  With the Wii I was keeping on top with the major releases but kept being disappointed.  I think I felt an obligation to play the major releases and so each drought or each time a major game didn't really connect with me really stood out.  Right now I just play whatever games catch my fancy.

The feeling of obligation is a big thing that has changed and maybe even if I owned a Wii U that change would have happened.  Ten years ago I wanted to try everything and I had a big backlog and bought games that I could recognize were well made but didn't really appeal to me.  Or I would shortchange a game because a new one came out that grabbed my attention.  I don't do that anymore.  I find I'm intentionally not buying games while I know I have others still waiting.  And it doesn't bother me.  I thought it would but it doesn't.  So I haven't played everything but that's okay.  I'm getting more enjoyment out of the games I am playing.  Droughts don't matter as much as well when you feel less of a need to be up-to-date.

So maybe games have become more of a commitment or a social obligation to fit in with a sub-culture so you're getting burned out.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 10:05:26 PM »
Thanks for the input, Ian. That is very true, I have been playing a lot to satisfy a quota- to feel that I am a "knowledgeable" gamer.

I think, thanks to this thread, I know what I should do. Cut back on spending a bit, focus down on my backlog (which is obscenely large), and read a book. That should really help, or at least get me in a more balanced state of mind.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 10:22:45 PM »
I'll state this as well. Sometimes experience can be a factor. I had someone over the other day and we decided to play some Wii U for awhile before going out for supper. I finally opened up NSMBU and we started playing that. At some point, we reached the first fortress and before the boss door, I jumped around by a wall and found a hidden block with a power-up. The other person asked how's I know it was there since we were playing this for the first time and I just answered it was sort of NSMB trope or cliché. I'd find a few hidden blocks like this.

Anyways, I kept playing the game on my own later and yet I've found it rather unsatisfying. It looks great. Technically, the game is sound. The problem I realize is that I just that it feels too similar to the other Mario platformers before it and thus I've been bored playing it. I perked up on one level when the difficulty suddenly increased but that's also because I didn't understand the mechanics of it either at first. At this point, I'm at World 6 and haven't picked up the game in maybe a month.

Whereas a game like Rhythm Thief reinvigorated my love of gaming for awhile. That's in part because it is fresh and new. I didn't know what to expect from one challenge to the next. I've raved about and am still talking about it because of how new it was to me. Thus, experience could be a reason why you also feel some fatigue. I like playing Sudoku puzzles but after doing 100 in a row, you need something else. Neal wrote an article about the Professor Layton series and how into it he was at first and how now he hasn't even played the last couple games. I think experience and the similar formula through all titles is a factor. It may be you need to change up what you are playing and come back to a genre or franchise after some time has passed.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 01:04:38 AM »
To be completely honest, aside from occasionally trying a new game here and there, I still find myself replaying the same ten or so games over and over. I replay Super Mario World, Legend of Zelda NES, Bust A Move Neo Geo, Sonic 2 Genesis, TMNT Arcade, Altered Beast Genesis, Turrican Genesis, Super Mario 64, Tetris Game Boy, Dr. Mario NES, Sim City SNES, Mega Man X SNES, Donkey Kong Country SNES, Super Mario RPG, and Zelda 2 NES annually. Some of those games I pretty much play every chance I get especially Super Mario World, I replay that game probably several times a year. I used to replay Kirby Super Star, Mortal Kombat, and Street Fighter games constantly too but lately I have mostly lost interest in those. I played AVGN Adventures non stop when it was new, beat it twice on two different difficulties then lost interest. I try new games and I found quite a few I would like to finish but these are the main games I replay over and over.

Final Fantasy 7 I replay every couple of years, not too often as I don't want it to get stale. I also have started Dragon Warrior NES and Final Fantasy 6 several dozen times, and I never finish either one.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 03:43:38 PM »
I've certainly dealt with gaming burn out, and I've never fully recovered. I used to play games far more often. I also used to buy more games on a whim. I definitely don't do either nearly as often because I have other interests and I also don't want to spend as much time playing video games. There's a larger world I want to explore so spending time in fake ones is something I try do in moderation. I don't mean to **** on anyone who loves video games. If that's what people want to do, I say do it. If it isn't making you happy, find something that does.

What worked for me is scaling back, only buying the games I'm really excited about. Even then, I'm almost always happy to wait for sales so gaming feels like less of a burden to me. I've also scaled back on posting here. I stick around because I like the community, but the forums sometimes frustrate me. I've started then deleted tons of posts and new threads. We often can't have a simple discussion. Derailed threads are the nature of message boards, but they get derailed for the same reason every time then no one talks about the original topic anymore. All these things compound which ultimately, makes gaming as a hobby less enjoyable.

What keeps me coming back is focusing on only a select few games. In that regard, being a Wii U owner works out really well for me personally. It doesn't have a lot of games, but it has almost all the games I want to play. They're released far enough apart that I can take my time without feeling pressured. That's only a positive for someone with my gaming habits.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 05:37:38 PM »
As someone who's also written about games before then I soon found out it wasn't as fun as I thought. I like to write about games, but the issue is that to build any sort of reader following, deadlines must be met and quotas must be filled. Having a schedule made the writing feel like work, and then I felt I had to play certain games whether I wanted to or not and that made them far less enjoyable. If it is no longer fun to write about them or fun to play them, I decided the effort was not worth it in the end. As an aside, this is one reason why I've never applied to NWR.

If you feel the same way as I did then my advice is to not continue if you don't find it fun. It won't be worth it and it won't be fulfilling.

Now as for games themselves, I have also been feeling similar disenchantment, which I think stems from a variety of factors. A big one is that I feel that in general, the industry has steered away from the kinds of games I like (most notably platformers, especially 3D ones) and onto ones I don't like, such as war games. This even extends to the style of games as I prefer fantasy over any sort of realism, and there's been much more of a shift towards realism as the technology has increased. Not only that, but there has been increased focus on story, cutscenes, and presentation, and less focus on actual gameplay. Then we get into things like bad business practices with DLC and systems with multimedia capabilities, and it all adds up to an industry that just isn't appealing.

The other side of things is that, having started playing videogames back in 1989 at the age of 3, I've basically lived through the evolution of gaming and have already experienced so much. I've stomped that Goomba, I've felled that Gohma, I've saved that princess, I've grinded those characters to be powerful enough to take down the big bad and save the world. Therefore, naturally, there aren't really any new experiences to be had or anything groundbreaking left. I've felt the limits on games were lifted during the GCN/PS2/Xbox/Dreamcast generation, and from then on games have all seemed the same. Though the last time I was truly impressed by a game was on the Nintendo 64; the leap into 3D was huge, and nothing can ever compare to that. Not that I expect anything to. Still, even if there are ways gameplay could yet be expanded, I don't feel like it's being pursued; games still have the same amount and sort of content as systems released 14-15 years ago, and heck, sometimes even 20 years ago, in exchange for focusing effort on better graphics. Or at the least, this applies to games I like (meaning not stuff like GTA). Even Nintendo seem to fall guilty of this at times.

To a lessor extent, gamer culture has played a role as well. It just feels like as time has gone on, there has been increasing negativity about games, and more console wars than ever before. It isn't enough to just like a game, it has to be proven why so-and-so game is better than some other game, and such-and-such sucks if someone doesn't like it. Now, I realise it could be argued I'm contributing to negativity from things I've said above, and maybe that's true. But I try to not post about all that and focus on what I like. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but I make an attempt. And, it isn't like I want to stamp out those kinds of games I don't like, I'm fine with them existing. I'd just like some more balance in what gets released. In any case, I don't consider myself a "gamer" because it seems to carry a negative connotation now and I don't want to be associated with some of the people who call themselves gamers. I try to not talk about games with people I meet or even my friends and family, as if there's some shame in it. And that's why I still visit places like this, because for better or worse, it's the only place where I can have conversations.

Anyways, I should probably cut it short here before I make myself look even worse. I have no idea if stating my experiences will help you out, but I figured I'd share.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 05:42:16 PM by Mop it up »

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 07:01:46 PM »
... Having a schedule made the writing feel like work, ...

Yeah - I don't get how people can apply strict schedules to their gaming and still enjoy the games. It's also why I rarely find reviews truly valuable. The circumstances and methods those people typically use to play games are so starkly different from my own experience.  Takes all types, I guess.

...In any case, I don't consider myself a "gamer" ...

I've seen Mop it up playing Monster Hunter, and been dragged through more than a few hunts I didn't deserve to join on my own accord as well. If that's not a real gamer then I don't know what is - making a game more accessible and enjoyable for all others who play together, and being pretty awesome at the game to boot.

Why bring this up?  I think it reinforces the point that you can't let others define what gaming should mean. Play when and if it brings you enjoyment.  :)
NNID: ejamer

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 10:29:30 PM »
Yes, these forums have been a godsend, because we talk pretty rationally about video games rather than in the negative light seen I have seen on other boards. I guess that's what happens when you have a smaller user base.

As I mentioned before, I have a pretty sizable retro backlog to sift through and I think that's going to be my focus for a while. I'm also going to stop reading as many news articles because they frustrate me. And I'll probably post some discussions on art and music and the like.