Author Topic: I need help kicking procrastination in the ass. Any advice?  (Read 4479 times)

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
I need help kicking procrastination in the ass. Any advice?
« on: February 28, 2013, 12:36:00 AM »
I've been putting off some things for quite some time, and while I really want to do some of the things in my list, I just don't feel like doing it. Any advice for beating procrastination?

Here's the things I need to start doing:
  • Start my video game reviews back up
  • Get off my lazy ass and go for a jog
  • Practice my creative writing
  • Start reading my book backlog
  • Learn to cook more than Maruchan Noodles

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
Re: I need help kicking procrastination in the ass. Any advice?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 12:38:55 AM »

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 12:40:04 AM »
Not sure whether or not to smite you or give you karma. :P

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 12:42:45 AM »
I'd say do both, but you would probably just put it off and end up doing neither.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 12:49:38 AM »
You make time for what is important. No matter what you think should be important, your behavior shows your true belief. You make time to eat, sleep, post on NWR... if any of those things on that list are important, you will get them done. Otherwise you are just fooling yourself.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 02:09:55 AM »
Lucky for you I have some wisdom to drop on you about how to overcome inertia and procrastanation. I used to always delay things and just sit on my ass, but I stumbled upon a solution that turned everything around. Seriously, this info is going to change your life man!...

...but I couldn't be bothered right now. If I feel up to it I might tell you later.

Gouge away.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 02:51:13 AM »
Procrastinate more by reading all these articles about procrastination!

http://lifehacker.com/procrastination/

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 02:59:30 AM »

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 07:33:09 AM »
@BlackNMild2k1

If you look at that picture long enough you'll see the Eye of Providence.
Gouge away.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 10:13:04 AM »
Seriously enough, Just Do It is actually not bad advice.  I have not been able to lick procrastination but as Bustin said you naturally make time for whats important to you.

I find it helps to remember things like "The Pathway to Hell is paved by Good Intentions."  Which boils down to you can have the best intentions in the world but if you don't follow those by actual deeds then they are meaningless.

I have also found that at least so far this year I've been drawing strength from achieving something harder than what I am procrastinating from.  In my case I haven't bit my nails at all this year.  Which make things like exercising and doing the laundry seem less difficult.

I've also been trying with much less success to break items down into more manageable pieces.  Its hard to want to do something that will take you whole day at minimum.  I just like to be able to make tangible progress in what I'm doing.  I find when I can make progress and it doesn't seem that I'm just an ant trying to move a mountain that it helps.

I've been trying to keep positive which is contrary to my nature and life training.  When I'm sad its hard to be motivated to do anything.

Remembering that I am my own individual and that it is I who can change my life.  Even when those close to me are not very helpful and can be more of a hinderance then anything I must live up to the challenge.

Those things work in limited degrees for myself.  Each person has their own thing.  Just don't be like I was at college.  I once procrastinated on doing an English paper because I was distracted being bored.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 03:02:27 PM »
Coke. Lots of it.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 03:03:24 PM »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 03:09:48 PM »
I once bought expensive running shoes to make myself run. The fact that I paid so much for the shoes and that they'd go to waster if I never ran motivated me to run. I ended up running everyday that summer.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 03:50:35 PM »
You know what they say, "why do today what you can put off till tomorrow".

The problem is, that sometimes tomorrow just never seems to come.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 04:05:20 PM »
Joking aside, I think preparing a schedule helps a great deal.

I moved house back in September and I used the opportunity to get familiar with the area to start running. It's very easy to do nothing, but if you set yourself goals and a routine then it becomes part of your day to day. I just set myself a modest goal of running 3 days a week and of doing excercises in the morning and afternoon. I'm not the most attentive when it comes to these sorts of things, but simply by setting down a base goal for myself I've found it much easier to get motivated.

I've done similar things before when I want to read more, or practice guitar or even play video games that have been sitting there for longer than I'd like. The problem for me is never actually doing the thing that I'm procrastinating about, it's getting started. Once started I usually relax and try and enjoy it. A routine just helps me motivate myself to get started.
Gouge away.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 04:43:49 PM »
For realzzzie

I get my best work done when I'm away from the internet. If you really want to get **** done, unplug your router or get out of the house and go to a restaurant or park or something.

There's this place next to my place that I frequent that serves only soup in a bread bowl and beer. Yeah...it kicks ass. And best of all, it has no internet.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 04:48:09 PM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 05:01:20 PM »
I frequent that serves only soup in a bread bowl and beer. Yeah...it kicks ass.

You're damn right that kicks ass! The only thing that's better than soup and beer is whiskey and beer.
Gouge away.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 05:38:28 PM »
My advice would be to pick one of those items and get to work on it.  If you tackle all of them at once it may be stressful or overwhelming which will encourage you to just quit.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 06:14:09 PM »
I'll try and get to doing that, someday.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 07:00:57 PM »
Here is my strategy for accomplishing a task on which I procrastinate:

Put an even worse chore on your todo list.

Suddenly, the thing you are procrastinating about will become fascinating in your effort to avoid the worse chore.

(I should go scrub the mildew out of my shower tiles ...Boy, taking a walk sounds like fun instead!)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 07:53:18 PM »
ShyGuy's suggestion is pretty good.

Back in high school when I was taking guitar lessons I was lazy about practicing.  In theory I was supposed to dedicate a half hour every day but that pretty much never happened.  However, when it was final exam time in school I realistically couldn't do anything fun since I was supposed to be studying.  But practicing guitar was acceptable to my parents because that was kind of like school work in a way.  So during exam time I was incredibly dedicated to practicing the exact amount of time my guitar teacher suggested because it was such an enjoyable break from studying.  Practicing was really only boring compared to playing Super Nintendo or watching TV or hanging out with friends.  It was a joy to do instead of something legitimately unpleasant.

Of course sometimes a chore just has to get done so if you follow this method there will be at least one horrible task that will never get done, and may need to be.