Author Topic: Sony's Motion in the Blue Ocean  (Read 175527 times)

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Sony's Motion in the Blue Ocean
« Reply #300 on: March 08, 2010, 11:13:29 PM »
With the recent purchase of Media Molecule and the constant effort to make LBP the face of the franchise, I'd go with the name "SackToy".
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 09, 2010, 12:04:29 PM »
PS3 Motion Control details incoming
Rumours point to launch date, partners and hardware specifics reveal at GDCWith much of the world’s games industry gearing up for GDC in San Francisco this week, the number of rumours doing the rounds is rapidly increasing – and there’s plenty being said about Sony’s Motion Controller.

Chief amongst the talk, VG247 claims to have word that Sony will tomorrow go live with details including a firm release date and list of launch publishing partners.

You can also expect the peripheral to be given a concrete name – be it Arc, Gem or something altogether different.

Further chat has claimed that the device will come in two parts much like Nintendo’s WiiMote and Nunchuck controller.

There are plenty more rumours doing the rounds, too, though the credibility of most is up to question. Here’s one that caught MCV’s eye, though – LittleBigPlanet 2 will tomorrow be revealed as a Motion Controller exclusive due out this Q4.
The truth will be known first thing tomorrow morning.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 09, 2010, 01:52:32 PM »
GDC begins today
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #303 on: March 09, 2010, 02:03:45 PM »
No way.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 09, 2010, 02:11:30 PM »
Yes Way!!!!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #305 on: March 09, 2010, 02:34:08 PM »
It's not a Conference for Game Developers, it's a Party for Industry Stooges.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 09, 2010, 02:59:28 PM »
Sony seeks Wii up-ports!?
Not really, but if they're seeking the same support that 3rd parties have shown the Wii, then they already have a losing strategy.   
Sony will be able to convert Wii developers to PS3 with Motion Controller, says our source

A games development source has told Develop that Sony's new Motion Controller device will work in tandem with an optional extra Wii Nunchuck-style add-on.

Our source says claims that even though the controller's final execution will be 'reminiscent' to the Wii, the familiar elements provide scope for those working on Nintendo's platform to 'upgrade' their ideas to the HD rival PS3.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #307 on: March 09, 2010, 03:08:25 PM »
Sony wants their own Wall of Shame?

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 09, 2010, 03:19:34 PM »
This is how I see it playing out:

-3rd Parties developing motion games for Wii decide to work on PS3 versions in tandem.
-PS3 versions get higher review scores for 'improved visuals' and 'online', despite both versions failing miserably at motion controls.
-Wii version outsells PS3 version by a substantial margin, likely due to larger install-base and initially weak consumer support for "Arc/Gem".
-3rd Parties decide to drop Wii versions in order to put full support behind PS3 development, citing unfair competition from Nintendo games.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 09, 2010, 03:28:26 PM »
-3rd Parties announce downsizing and/or closure of studios due to failed focus on PS3 motion gaming. Nintendo to blame for not releasing the analyst rumored WiiHD.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #310 on: March 09, 2010, 03:34:30 PM »
also,

-PS3 sales surpass Wii in 2015, Sony wins home game system war

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 09, 2010, 03:37:10 PM »
Sony seeks Wii up-ports!?
Not really, but if they're seeking the same support that 3rd parties have shown the Wii, then they already have a losing strategy.   
Sony will be able to convert Wii developers to PS3 with Motion Controller, says our source

A games development source has told Develop that Sony's new Motion Controller device will work in tandem with an optional extra Wii Nunchuck-style add-on.

Our source says claims that even though the controller's final execution will be 'reminiscent' to the Wii, the familiar elements provide scope for those working on Nintendo's platform to 'upgrade' their ideas to the HD rival PS3.

Yeah, makes you wonder what there is to steal. There's practically no expertise with the Wii to be found among third parties, you could throw completely new teams at Arc and get the same results.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 09, 2010, 04:00:47 PM »
Here is a mock up that the original source says is pretty damn close to the images of the actual product that he saw.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 09, 2010, 04:06:54 PM »
I'd love to see them patch Killzone 2 to work with this, as it's been sitting in my backlog for a while, but I'd settle for Resistance 3.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline LucaBrazi

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Donkey Kong Game
« Reply #314 on: March 09, 2010, 04:37:51 PM »
This seems pretty good!

Offline mac<censored>

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: March 09, 2010, 09:03:47 PM »
Here is a mock up that the original source says is pretty damn close to the images of the actual product that he saw.

Hmm, seems subtly fucked up "sony style" in a few ways:

(1) Still using the same !@#$ crappy dpad from the PS1!  When is this thing gonna die already?!

(2) On the right controller, the "reject/back" (X) button is in the natural "under your thumb" position; the "confirm" (O) button is in a more awkward location.  This seems backwards.

The latter point gives a clue to what seems to be the fundamental problem with Sony controller designs:  they always seem to make things look good or "make sense" (e.g., they favor highly symmetrical and regular layouts), but actual use-testing is apparently at best an afterthought, and its results are not allowed to override earlier decisions.  However, what works best is very often not the prettiest or most "logical"!

[This is why the GC controller was so great -- even though things like the button layout looked kinda wonky, it felt, and worked, like a dream.  Maybe controller designers should work blindfolded...!]
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 10:28:01 PM by mac<censored> »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 09, 2010, 09:06:35 PM »
Microsoft manages to make their controllers as smooth as butter but symmetrical....which gives me a feeling Natal will be pretty good :P, although i only like the xbox 360 controllers not the xbox fat or slim controllers.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 09, 2010, 09:48:04 PM »
Sony's awful controller design is the reason it took me so long to buy a PS3, and the reason that 8 of my 9 PS3 games were published by Sony, and the 9th, Valkyria Chronicles, is an exclusive, as I buy anything I can on the 360 because of the far-superior controller.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 10, 2010, 04:43:10 AM »
Why I think Sony is on the right track with Arc and why I also think Nintendo needs to get a motion camera as standard equipment in the Wii2.

Interesting things are about to happen.

edit: Gamespot posted a Dev diary on the Disco Stick
http://gdc.gamespot.com/story/6253204/ps3-motion-controller-qanda?tag=topslot;img;1
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 05:36:44 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 10, 2010, 11:15:54 AM »
Our first Motion Plus timed exclusive....?

Lead Your Team to Glory! Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 11 to Feature Ryder Cup
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 11 to Support PlayStation 3 Motion Controller

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Electronic Arts Inc., (NASDAQ:ERTS) announced today that one of the most prestigious tournaments in golf, The Ryder Cup, will be featured in Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 11. In addition, Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 11 will support Sony’s new PlayStation 3 Motion Controller to give gamers an authentic interactive swing experience. The game will be available on June 8 on the Wii™, Xbox 360®, PlayStation®3 and iPhone™ platforms.
Arc doesn't hit till fall, Natal games can't be mentioned till E3, and Natal doesn't launch till fall at the earliest too. That leaves Wii w. M+ as teh only way to okay with motion till atleast 2-3 months later, making it a timed (by default) exclusive.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 10, 2010, 11:23:08 AM »
also,

-PS3 sales surpass Wii for the month of March in 2015, Sony wins home game system war

Fix'd
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 10, 2010, 11:24:26 AM »
To me it seems the Arc will have less problems with calibration.
The gyroscope on the Wii Motion Plus is a cool technology, and it works , but it just seems to me that its calibration issues are going to be an obstacle for developers and gamers.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 10, 2010, 11:50:18 AM »
That is why Nintendo needs to get that motion controller ready to go. Having a point of reference for the controller might eliminate the need to recalibrate after repeated wild movements. Arc(Move?) is definitely on the right track combining PSEye with the Wiimote.
I really hope Nintendo isn't locked out of using a camera to track the remote for the next Wii.

also, SCEI just trade marked 2 things over in Europe and Sony has a GDC press conference today @ 4pm PST that is being Live broadcast on G4tv

The 2 things Sony Trademarked:
1.) PlayStation Move
Game controllers for consumer video game consoles for use with an external display screen or monitor and attachment devices therefor

2.) A logo for Move...? or is it for Arc?

Sony GDC Conference Live on G4tv @ 4pm PST/7pm ET
and streaming(?) Live @ http://g4tv.com/SonyGDC

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #323 on: March 10, 2010, 12:18:08 PM »
Sony's Wonderball looks awful to use for a SIMPLE game like Kororinpa.  It's also a poor device for themed light-gun gaming.  Must Cabela make a more-ridiculous looking shotgun shell now?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 12:19:46 PM by NinGurl69 *huggles »

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 10, 2010, 04:28:03 PM »
PlayStation Move?  Dang it!

So should we start guessing at what ridiculous sounding name MS is gonna come up with to garner attention like the name "Wii" did when it was first announced?
MOOV
So close!
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!