Author Topic: Sony's Motion in the Blue Ocean  (Read 175294 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Sony's Motion in the Blue Ocean
« Reply #200 on: January 21, 2010, 04:00:52 PM »
Galaxy 2 is getting longer than 6 months because they originally planned on releasing it last year. A proper reveal at E3 is plenty of time to have it out by mid-late Nov. 2010.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 21, 2010, 04:17:24 PM »
Nintendo has to have something BIG this holiday season to overshadow the bombardment of advertising that Natal and Disco Stick are gonna be getting and Nintendo has to showcase with an actual game of their own all that M+ is capable of.

I think it's more likely that Wii Relax will be Nintendo's big holiday game.  It might logically make sense for them to go big but that doesn't mean they will.  But I just can't imagine them busting out three huge titles like that in one year.  I figure something would be moved.  But then right now I question if Sony or MS will even get their motion control out by then.  Wait for E3, I guess.  We just don't know enough right now.

I will be surprised if Zelda is out this year.  Very PLEASANTLY surprised. :)

As long as that Zelda isn't another OoT clone, right? ;)

Really, though, I don't see how a relaxing-based game could be non-gimmicky.  I don't know how Nintendo could make it a system seller, it just seems weird to me.  Any idea of how to make it not involve a simple gimmick?

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 21, 2010, 04:24:42 PM »
Fantastic Voyage: The Game
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline mac<censored>

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 22, 2010, 06:37:42 PM »
Really, though, I don't see how a relaxing-based game could be non-gimmicky.  I don't know how Nintendo could make it a system seller, it just seems weird to me.  Any idea of how to make it not involve a simple gimmick?

I dunno, I think a lot of games are relaxing, at least in part ... e.g., I love wandering around the landscape checking stuff out and looking for secrets in Zelda  ... and metroid ... etc, and find it extremely relaxing.

If they just put in more landscape and more secrets and cut out the boss fights etc... and they could put in more stuff for "fun" instead of for "challenge" -- let you ski down a mountainside in the big landscape, but don't time you, and don't give you a competitor, just for fun (after all, that's what most people do in the real world!).

Oooh, I'd buy that game!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 23, 2010, 04:23:42 AM »
I hope we'll see Zangeki no Reginleiv in the west.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 27, 2010, 09:09:30 PM »
Sony Motion Controller Gets 10 Titles This Year
Sports and pet raising games on the way for Fall device.

Nikkei has a short report on Sony's upcoming motion controller device. The one piece of new information in the report is that Sony will release "around 10 or so" titles for the device within the year. Included among the titles will be sports and pet raising games.

Sony announced last week that its motion device will be released in the Fall rather than the originally announced Spring time frame. The company did not share a list of software, but promised a robust lineup.
story at link changed from story in quotes, but title stays the same.

Sony Sports & Sony Pets.....
those don't quite have the same ring to them.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 27, 2010, 09:10:26 PM »
lol killer apps lol
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 27, 2010, 09:25:01 PM »
rip off games from 5 years ago. that's the ticket
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 27, 2010, 09:28:42 PM »
what're you talking about? these are ORIGINAL titles using innovative motion controls the world hasn't seen before.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 27, 2010, 09:46:16 PM »
I know rite. it's also gonna link up with the pspTouch for some mobile motion.

You guys just wait till Sony reveals the pspPad, that is gonna change the face of computing on the living room table.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: January 27, 2010, 09:49:04 PM »
I know rite. it's also gonna link up with the pspTouch for some mobile motion.

You guys just wait till Sony reveals the pspPad, that is gonna change the face of computing on the living room table.

It'll be just like the PSP Go, but bigger!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 27, 2010, 10:03:22 PM »
No, it will be just like the pspTouch but bigger.

All NEW and ORIGINAL Sony products here people.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 10:46:38 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 28, 2010, 04:32:25 AM »
Anyone here remember Little Big Planet? That's the sort of "success" Sony has when it rips off Nintendo. Will this time around be any different?
is your sanity...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 28, 2010, 04:45:34 AM »
You guys just wait till Sony reveals the pspPad, that is gonna change the face of computing hitting the living room table.

correction.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 29, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
You guys just wait till Sony reveals the pspPad, that is gonna change the face of computing collecting dust on the living room table.

correction.

Corrected your correction

Offline mac<censored>

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 29, 2010, 08:31:26 PM »
It'll be just like the PSP Go, but bigger!

C'mon photoshoppers, where are you when we need you?!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 17, 2010, 01:02:36 AM »
There is a rumor that Arc has a wireless nunchuck to go with the wand.
2 face buttons on the wand & 2 on the nunchuck.
L1&2 on one R1&2 on the other.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #217 on: February 17, 2010, 02:22:19 AM »
There is a rumor that Arc has a wireless nunchuck to go with the wand.
2 face buttons on the wand & 2 on the nunchuck.
L1&2 on one R1&2 on the other.
Well if this turns out to be true than it is going to be copying Nintendo once again.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 17, 2010, 02:24:16 AM »
What's next, a Classic Controller attachment designed like the first PlayStation controller (without analogue and rumble)?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 17, 2010, 02:27:10 AM »
As long as they do it right or do it better.
Not like it's the first or second or third time it's happened. ;)

and the first playstation controller is nothing but a SNES controller with handles and double the shoulder buttons.

and Nintendo copied them back with the CCPro (minus the tilt and the wireless)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 17, 2010, 02:43:30 AM »
What's next, a Classic Controller attachment designed like the first PlayStation controller (without analogue and rumble)?

Why would they need one when the Dualshock 3 is already available and works just fine?
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline mac<censored>

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 17, 2010, 03:52:41 AM »

Why would they need one when the Dualshock 3 is already available and works just fine?

One reason is that the dualshock digital-pad is one of the most horrible, painful, unusable, piece-of-crap digital pads every made.  Sony has always been crap at controller design, but the digital pad is bad even for them.

Of course, the PS1's digital pad was equally crap, so just re-releasing the PS1 controller wouldn't exactly help...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 17, 2010, 04:06:57 PM »
One reason is that the dualshock digital-pad is one of the most horrible, painful, unusable, piece-of-crap digital pads every made.  Sony has always been crap at controller design, but the digital pad is bad even for them.

Have you actually used a Dualshock 3 or are just going by past experience with Playstation controllers?  And I ask that seriously because I always felt their d-pads were crap too, and assumed that trend would continue.  But when I got a PS3 I was blown away by how much better the Dualshock 3 is than the previous controllers.  The d-pad still has that split design but it feels way better.  Playstation controller buttons always seemed to feel "mushy" to me.  That isn't the case anymore.  The Dualshock 3 is a really solid controller.  Sony must have learned.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 17, 2010, 04:56:19 PM »
Have you actually used a Dualshock 3 or are just going by past experience with Playstation controllers?

If you've used one Dual Shock, you've used them all. The basic design hasn't changed AT ALL since the original Dual Shock for the PS1, and even that was a clone of the original PS1 controller with thumbsticks attched in an unergonomic position with bubblegum and duct-tape, and then that controller in turn was a blatant ripoff of the SNES controller layout.

So there is nothing great or innovative about the Dual Shock AT ALL. The SNES controller was the best in its day, but it was never intended to have thumbsticks tacked onto it like Sony has done. And one Dual Shock doesn't change much over the last. The PS3 dual shock has tilt control and some better L/R triggers and it is also wireless, but those are the ONLY changes over its predecessor(s). The layout is EXACTLY THE SAME.

So what is great or innovative about it? Nothing. It was made by a company that makes TVs and doesn't give a **** about video games, and it shows.
is your sanity...

Offline mac<censored>

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 17, 2010, 05:06:01 PM »

Have you actually used a Dualshock 3 or are just going by past experience with Playstation controllers?

I've actually used a ds3 (I own one).  I grant that it may suck less than previous playstation controllers (the PS1 controller, for instance, was so mind-numbingly horrible that they really couldn't go any direction but up...), but it most definitely is still an awful dpad.

The Dualshock 3 is a really solid controller.  Sony must have learned.

It's ok (nobody actually uses the dpad anymore after all), but "really solid" is being far too kind -- and given Sony's long history of completely fucked up controllers (helloooo psp...), it's hard to think the reason is anything other than dumb luck.

[Even if the shock of being solidly in last place has made them actually start to care about what their users want (something which they clearly never did before), it's very hard for them to suddenly pick up and start excelling in an area they previously ignored -- it will take time and experience to do that.  Whether Sony actually has much time left is a very good question of course....]