Author Topic: Blaster Master confirmed for VC  (Read 25826 times)

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
Re: Blaster Master confirmed for VC
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2009, 09:23:34 PM »
The only thing that kept me from beating it was my nes being in bad shape.

That's why I put mine in a conditioning program including dumbbells and treadmills before I commence in any serious retro gaming binges.

Neither of us have the will power for that.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2009, 09:57:20 PM »
I'm considering this, seeing as I have 1,000 Wii Points just sitting there, yearning for release.

But I'm kind of holding my breath for Castlevania Rebirth, which STILL doesn't have a North American release date, even in that 2010 release schedule. *stews*

Whoever said that Shredder is easy in TMNT is fracking wrong. In the original NES game, his gun kills you in one hit, and he's got like two or three life bars. NOT COOL, because the Technodrome itself is a masochistic nightmare.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2009, 11:36:55 PM »
TMNT the original is harder than Festers Quest. But neither of this is as hard as Kid Icarus, but I still haven't played an NES game that has made me feel like there was no hope like Section Z.
now that game had me feeling like I was never getting anywhere regardless of how far I thought I went.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2009, 11:43:21 PM »
Halibred have you seen any videos of people beating the Shredder lately. It is rediculious how poor the AI is.  The rest of the game is pretty challenging so I think the final boss fight is rediculiously easy. Think about this. The Shredder in the 80's cartoon is not really a menace. So it is fitting that he isn't in the game.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2009, 02:08:06 PM »
So it looks like the game may be a part of some sort of contest soon:

Fans are encouraged to improve their skills so they can finish this supreme test of gaming skill to allow them to take part in a coming promotion that will test their skill for prizes.

http://www.sunsoftgames.com/news/2009-12-14%20BlasterMasterVC.php

Better practice up.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2009, 03:17:12 PM »
We're talking about the ORIGINAL NES TMNT game, yes? The sidescroller with cheap jumps and brief, painful overworld segments? I'm gonna have to look this sh*t up on YouTube.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2009, 09:23:45 PM »
Yes, the infamous first NES game, which Konami is evil for making.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2009, 02:02:05 PM »
I'm behind on the news; thanks for the heads-up folks. Blaster Master awesomeness for me!

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2009, 02:22:46 PM »
Just watched the TMNT videos. Shredder is fracking EASY, but the Technodrome looks like it's still ridiculously painful.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2009, 02:45:16 PM »
Told you Halibed.Now that we got that out of our system has anybody DLed Blaster Master?
If so what are your thoughts?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2009, 02:55:10 PM »
I played it a bit on Monday.  I really enjoy it.  I never played the game as a kid so this is my first direct experience with the game (although heard many great things about it).  I got to the boss of the first level but died.  Since it was my last life on that continue the game kicked me back to the start of the level so I just turned it off--I'll try again tonight.

I don't really understand how the gun works when you're controlling Jason in the overhead parts.  I pick up gun upgrades and my level goes up a notch or two (out of like 10) but after a while it goes back to zero--not sure if the upgrade only works for a certain number of shots or if it's timed or what.  Since the upgrades aren't super plentiful (at least not in the first level) and since there are so many boxes to shoot in the overhead parts (all of which respawn if you scroll past them and most of which contain absolutely nothing) I don't see how I'm ever going to upgrade my gun past the second level.  Maybe I'm missing something.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2009, 03:09:41 PM »
I don't really understand how the gun works when you're controlling Jason in the overhead parts.  I pick up gun upgrades and my level goes up a notch or two (out of like 10) but after a while it goes back to zero--not sure if the upgrade only works for a certain number of shots or if it's timed or what.  Since the upgrades aren't super plentiful (at least not in the first level) and since there are so many boxes to shoot in the overhead parts (all of which respawn if you scroll past them and most of which contain absolutely nothing) I don't see how I'm ever going to upgrade my gun past the second level.  Maybe I'm missing something.

The way the gun works is that every time you get hit your gun level drops down a notch until it's back to its default level of 1.  Honestly, for the most part you're better off just ignoring the gun and going close range with grenades,  They're more accurate, they do more damage, and they never get weaker.

Yeah, I also picked the game up on Monday and played up to the end of the 3rd level...where I got my ass kicked by the frickin' "block" boss.  It's just a room of spawning blocks that shoot at you after moving a bit.  The thing is, I can't tell if I'm actually doing any damage because this boss doesn't work like the usual bosses.  With the others, they gradually turn increasingly red as you deal damage until they explode.  With this one, you shoot the blocks until they vanish but usually they're just replaced by another block.  The SOPHIA the 3rd (gotta love that silly name) segments are fun and more than a little Metroid-y, though I would have appreciated better level design because all the rooms within a level look identical and it's very easy to get lost.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2009, 11:45:58 PM »
Honestly, for the most part you're better off just ignoring the gun and going close range with grenades,  They're more accurate, they do more damage, and they never get weaker.
This depends on which level you're talking about. The full gun gauge can shoot through walls and has a wide stream; this can be very helpful in levels with narrow passages, and can cut through a boss's defenses.

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2009, 01:08:12 PM »
I was determined to be the Level 2 boss without using the grenade trick.

I am not so determined anymore.

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2009, 01:18:03 PM »

I've actually tried to pull off the grenade trick just to see how it works, and so far I can't do it successfully.  Thankfully, I had a full Gun meter when I took on the Level 2 boss, so he died without me taking a single hit.  It took several tries and lots of grenades, but I finally managed to beat the Level 3 boss with only a sliver of health left.

Unfortunately, I now have the Hover Pack, and I have to use it to reach the next area.  I loathe how Sunsoft coded the Hover Pack, forcing you to gather up these "H" symbols to fill it up instead of using a recharging meter.  It's amazing, but up until I got the Hover Pack every other enemy was dropping those H power-ups.  Now that I have the Hover Pack, no one drops them so I have to keep going into dungeons to find them.  When I get back to the tank and try going for that specific ledge, my meter's empty in less than 2 seconds (and when I'm about to land on the platform, suddenly an enemy spawns there to knock me off) and then I have to go back and get more power-ups for another attempt.  It's just sheer monotony.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 19, 2009, 01:23:57 PM »

I've actually tried to pull off the grenade trick just to see how it works, and so far I can't do it successfully.  Thankfully, I had a full Gun meter when I took on the Level 2 boss, so he died without me taking a single hit.  It took several tries and lots of grenades, but I finally managed to beat the Level 3 boss with only a sliver of health left.

Unfortunately, I now have the Hover Pack, and I have to use it to reach the next area.  I loathe how Sunsoft coded the Hover Pack, forcing you to gather up these "H" symbols to fill it up instead of using a recharging meter.  It's amazing, but up until I got the Hover Pack every other enemy was dropping those H power-ups.  Now that I have the Hover Pack, no one drops them so I have to keep going into dungeons to find them.  When I get back to the tank and try going for that specific ledge, my meter's empty in less than 2 seconds (and when I'm about to land on the platform, suddenly an enemy spawns there to knock me off) and then I have to go back and get more power-ups for another attempt.  It's just sheer monotony.

Ugh, I remember the part about the hovering. It was such a stupid decision on their part to do that. I'll never understand why they did that.

And I actually had a nearly-fully-powered gun the last time I fought the Level 2 boss, but he hit me quickly, and before I knew it I only had a popgun left. I used to be so good at this game too...:(

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 19, 2009, 04:48:58 PM »
Ugh, I remember the part about the hovering. It was such a stupid decision on their part to do that. I'll never understand why they did that.
Because it was 1988 and recharging meters hadn't been realized yet.

The Level 2 boss isn't difficult if you know his movements. Just stay on the bottom of the screen and you can't get hit by the claws. Your bullets can destroy his shots so all you have to do is strafe back and forth blasting away.

I still think the Level 3 boss is the most difficult in the game. I can't beat that one unless I go in there with the full gun.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 19, 2009, 06:52:25 PM »
The way the gun works is that every time you get hit your gun level drops down a notch until it's back to its default level of 1. 
Ah, that makes sense.

Wait a sec ... THAT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE AT ALL!  (But at least it explains why my gun level kept going down.)  ;)
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2010, 10:55:13 PM »
So...who's excited about the WiiWare sequel? I'm excited!* And thanks to Johnny, we know that hovering is back, that it's harder to screw up, and that you can permanently increase your hover meter (maybe other attributes as well?).

In honor of that, I pledge to finally beat World 8. Tips, anyone? I get past the first big room, and then encounter nothing but Death Rooms. I don't know where to go!

*This is the first Blaster Master sequel to ever exist. If you think otherwise, shut up.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 11:48:17 PM by noname2200 »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2010, 12:23:02 AM »
*This is the first Blaster Master sequel to ever exist. If you think otherwise, shut up.
You shut up. I excitedly await the release of Blaster Master 2 on the Virtual Console.

Not only that but it has the best name ever for the protagonist's vehicle!
I discovered that it is actually spelled "SOFIA" which I had forgotten about. I wonder if that had to do with the translation...

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 07, 2010, 01:44:56 PM »
In honor of that, I pledge to finally beat World 8. Tips, anyone? I get past the first big room, and then encounter nothing but Death Rooms. I don't know where to go!
http://vgmaps.com/Atlas/NES/index.htm#BlasterMaster

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2010, 02:06:38 PM »
http://vgmaps.com/Atlas/NES/index.htm#BlasterMaster

Thank you much.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 07, 2010, 02:15:56 PM »
Not a problem!  VG Maps is a great resource for a great number of classic 2D games.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2010, 02:28:07 PM »
Isn't run by an old PGC member?

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2010, 03:20:26 PM »
That would be one Mr. Jon Leung.