Author Topic: Blaster Master confirmed for VC  (Read 25760 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Blaster Master confirmed for VC
« on: December 04, 2009, 05:03:17 PM »
I tried submitting this to NWR news, but it wouldn't let me (the confirmation letters wouldn't show up):

Sunsoft today announced that they will start publishing games in North America again (their last one was
Blaster Master: Blasting Again for the PS1 in 2001). Their first one will be Blaster Master (for the NES) on the Virtual Console this month.

http://www.sunsoftgames.com/news/2009-12-03%20Blaster%20Master.php
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 05:06:38 PM by TJ Spyke »
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: Blaster Master confirmed for VC
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 05:06:13 PM »
Haven't played this series. I think there was a GBC game of Blaster Master made by NST.

*Goes and looks for other Sunsoft titles*
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 05:08:02 PM »
You are correct, I fixed my mistake. Their last game was Blaster Master: Blasting Again for the PS1 in 2001.

The NES game was well known for being incredibly difficult, even by NES standards.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 05:11:19 PM »
How did the game play like?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 05:16:08 PM »
i still have this game and though i never beat it, i still loved it..

its sorta like Metroid come to think of it.. you ride around in this tank type vehicle, over all sorts of terrain (including diving underwater i think) but you can also hop out and crawl into areas that your tank couldnt fit in to. Ever play that Ninja Turtles game for the NES (turtles 2??) that has some side scrolling mixed with overhead gameplay? Similar to that i'd say. Alll i remember is your character having a huge head (lol) and the first boss being this giant slime...

and that i had a book based on this game, which i read, and if the story of the book is anything like the story of the game.. you're trying to rescure your... pet frog!?

I might have to pickthis game up. its one of those NES games i got later on in life, that i enjoyed but due to my NES's bad connection, was never able to finish because the games would lock up.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 05:20:52 PM »
Thanks for the synopsis of the game EasyCure.
Also Turtles 2 on the NES was the arcade game but with a few changes. The one you are talking about is TMNT on the NES.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 05:25:43 PM »
Thanks for the synopsis of the game EasyCure.
Also Turtles 2 on the NES was the arcade game but with a few changes. The one you are talking about is TMNT on the NES.

and thank you for the clarification Maxi ;)

For those curious, here's the first level/boss of Blaster Master
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 06:14:13 PM »
My Secret Santa better get this (and one other $5 game) for me.
I used to love this game, but I never did beat it.

This is on my "will own" list.

I really wish I could attach games to my My Nintendo Account so that I can play them from any Wii I choose. My Wii is at my Mom's house and i do most of my gamin on my girls Wii. But if I download to her Wii so I can play it more often, then I won't be able to play it on my Wii when I confiscate if from my mom at some point in the future.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 06:16:57 PM »

I really wish I could attach games to my My Nintendo Account so that I can play them from any Wii I choose. My Wii is at my Mom's house and i do most of my gamin on my girls Wii. But if I download to her Wii so I can play it more often, then I won't be able to play it on my Wii when I confiscate if from my mom at some point in the future.

maybe your secret santa will gift you two version of it then, one to each friend code ;)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 06:22:14 PM »
I never knew that this game was considered difficult, especially since I have beaten it. Then again, this was back when I had plenty of free time to sink into the same game and a small amount of games, so I guess I stuck it out.

Anyways, though the game's appearance on the VC means nothing to me by itself, it does make me excited to think that Blaster Master 2 for the Genesis will be released at some point. That was probably my favourite game on the Genesis.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 06:30:14 PM »

maybe your secret santa will gift you two version of it then, one to each friend code ;)

I gotta get the other Wii online first. I don't remember the password to the router and I've been too lazy to actually reset it.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 10:47:23 PM »
Speaking of Secret Santa programs, is there gonna be one here at NWR?

Offline williamsjj

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 11:17:58 PM »
I remember playing this game on the NES and enjoying it, but I don't think I ever beat it.  I may purchase it, but I rarely find myself playing VC games to completion.  I think the newer graphics and methods of gameplay have me spoiled.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 12:20:56 AM »
Ooh, I love Blaster Master! Never played the Genesis sequel, so I hope that one comes to VC too.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 01:29:35 AM »
Speaking of Secret Santa programs, is there gonna be one here at NWR?

If I told you it wouldn't be a secret anymore.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 04:55:49 AM »
Here is a list of Sunsoft games. I couldn't think of any off the top of my head but I knew I had played games from that company before.

My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2009, 06:07:36 AM »
WHO RUN BARTER TOWN!!???!!!!

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2009, 06:22:13 AM »
Oh wow, Chameleon Twist... I remember reading about that in Nintendo Power back in the day and thinking it woulda been a fun platformer with interesting gameplay, but I never got a chance to play it. Is it any good? Musta sold well enough to warrant a sequel right? I'd love to finally try it..

and flashback! I remember my brother borrowing that from a friend and i could never get past like the third screen.. lol.. but it seemed like such an interesting game that i'd love to give it another shot. I think i've had this talk with someone else on this forum before, strange.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2009, 06:41:11 AM »
I played Chameleon Twist. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great.
I don't really remember too many details about it, but it was worth the rental.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2009, 06:56:50 AM »
i'll put it on my wishlist of games i probably won't ever buy myself. thanks.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2009, 07:13:29 AM »
Oh wow, Chameleon Twist... I remember reading about that in Nintendo Power back in the day and thinking it woulda been a fun platformer with interesting gameplay, but I never got a chance to play it. Is it any good? Musta sold well enough to warrant a sequel right? I'd love to finally try it..

and flashback! I remember my brother borrowing that from a friend and i could never get past like the third screen.. lol.. but it seemed like such an interesting game that i'd love to give it another shot. I think i've had this talk with someone else on this forum before, strange.

That would be me in the VC Monday thread.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2009, 09:10:53 AM »
This game rules.  I'll download this as soon as it's up.  Like most people, I've never beaten it either, but I did play quite far into it.  IIRC, it's pretty high on the "die once and you start all the way back at the beginning" meter, which is probably why I never completed it.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2009, 10:07:42 AM »
I swear, if they even think about releasing Aero the Acrobat on VC I will rage quit video games.

I wouldn't mind playing NES Batman again.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2009, 10:42:42 AM »
I'll note that you said "rage quit video games" as opposed to "rage quit the NWR Forums".  I believe the two can be mutually exclusive.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2009, 10:50:12 AM »
Me too vudu, too bad there is not much chance of it happening. Square Enix has the Batman license (thanks to them buying Eidos Interactive, who had it), right? Maybe they could reach a deal and just charge 600 Wii Points like Konami and Ubisoft did for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2009, 10:51:19 AM »
I'll note that you said "rage quit video games" as opposed to "rage quit the NWR Forums".  I believe the two can be mutually exclusive.

Of course--I'm not going to punish you for something you have no control over.  ;D
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2009, 03:46:35 PM »
Me too vudu, too bad there is not much chance of it happening. Square Enix has the Batman license (thanks to them buying Eidos Interactive, who had it), right? Maybe they could reach a deal and just charge 600 Wii Points like Konami and Ubisoft did for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Maybe when the next Batman movie comes out they will release the NES one?
My Game Collection

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2009, 04:01:43 PM »
As I said in the VC thread, this announcement makes me quite happy.  Blaster Master is an obscure enough game that I thought it would get ignored at the rate Nintendo's going with the VC.  Maybe I'll actually beat the game this time...maybe.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2009, 04:52:31 PM »
Awesome news. Blaster Master was probably my favorite NES game ever.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2009, 05:25:11 PM »
Oh man, so much love for Blaster Master here.. it's getting me kinda hyped to reexperience the game..

Maybe if it sells well enough we'll miss out on a Blaster Master: Re-armed HD game!!!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2009, 05:27:32 PM »
A guy that works for the company (Vic Ireland) is posting over at GAF, this is a summarizing of what he said:
Quote from: GAF
- This month, Sunsoft will be releasing Blaster Master for VC on the Wii.

- The VC version of Blaster Master will have easter eggs and surprises not found in the original, and Vic Ireland says you will be rewarded for making the effort to beat the game this time.

- Next Friday there will be another announcement from Sunsoft/Gaijinworks about "whats new for Sunsoft/Gaijinworks"*, which Vic Ireland says will surprise many people and it sounds like it is a pretty big deal.

- The Friday after that there will be another further announcement, as Sunsoft and Gaijinworks continues to outline their plans of returning into the industry outside of Japan.

Quote from: *Vic Ireland
Okay, since we're talking poker talk, I will say that I recommended a specific course of action in one area (we're dealing with many areas in this Sunsoft resurgence), and Yoshida-san essentially said, "I like where you're headed. I'll see your <suggestion> and go all in <with a MUCH larger implementation of what I recommended, which is what the press release will cover>".

I was literally stunned to hear how far he went with what I recommended. I'm pretty sure you, especially, will be as well.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 06:58:05 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2009, 06:49:10 PM »
I already posted in the Talkback thread about this.

Blaster Master was easily one of my favorite NES games. I'm very happy to hear this news! :)
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2009, 02:21:48 AM »
I'd love to try it, too. I didn't know it was made be SunSoft, I thought they faded into obscurity after the 16-bit generation. Now that I know that it makes me want to try the games.

I had no idea SunSoft was even still around. How are they in business if they haven't released anything?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2009, 02:25:47 AM »
Don't you own every N64 game that came out?
wouldn't that mean that you have Chameleon Twist(1&2) and can play it whenever you want?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2009, 02:36:22 AM »
I guess nothing has really motivated me to try them. I could say that about a lot of games...

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2009, 04:49:25 AM »
Chameleon Twist was always on the 'neat but never bought' list. I'd definitely give it a D/L if it shows up on VC. Plus we need more N64 games, especially need to break out with the 3rd party ones.
My Game Collection

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2009, 10:22:49 AM »
I'd love to try it, too. I didn't know it was made be SunSoft, I thought they faded into obscurity after the 16-bit generation. Now that I know that it makes me want to try the games.

I had no idea SunSoft was even still around. How are they in business if they haven't released anything?

They continued releasing games in Japan, this is just their return to publishing games in North America.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2009, 12:20:34 PM »
WHO RUN BARTER TOWN!!???!!!!

lol thats all i think of now when i hear blaster master
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2009, 02:02:45 PM »
Plus we need more N64 games, especially need to break out with the 3rd party ones.
Isn't that my line?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2009, 05:06:07 PM »
N64 games would be great (yes the N64 library was small, but there are many third party non-licensed games that could be added). I also want to know where Midway support is. Midway announced back in March 2007 that they were gonna support the Virtual Console, specifically naming the Mortal Kombat series as some of the games they would release on it. It's been almost 3 years and Midway hasn't released any games on the VC.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2009, 05:08:04 PM »
Is Midway still around? Thats a lot of (free) money they left on the table, but it's no one's fault but their own.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2009, 05:11:00 PM »
I thought Midway went bankrupt.

The Rush series of racing games would be nice to have on the VC, they're my favourite racing games on the system.

EDIT: Yep, bankrupt:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midway_Games
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 05:17:07 PM by Mop_it_up »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »
Time Warner purchased almost of Midway's assets (and are working on buying the name itself too), the only things they didn't buy were "Wheelman" and the TNA license. Warner Bros. Interactive (Time Warner's video game division) could release them on VC. I couldn't figure out why Midway didn't try and release as many games on VC as possible after they announced they were declaring bankruptcy, it would basically be free money and could have helped them having to sell themselves to Time Warner.

I just hope Time Warner is smarter than Midway executives were.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2009, 04:46:07 PM »
Master Blasterbater looks like StarFox Landmaster, but fun.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2009, 04:51:31 PM »
Master Blasterbater looks like StarFox Landmaster, but fun.

and done ~15+ years before hand.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2009, 07:45:10 PM »
NINTENDO ARE TEH TEHIVES!

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2009, 07:54:03 PM »
December 14th is when this game is going to be released. So next Monday.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Cambot

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2009, 10:46:39 PM »
Here's the press release Vic Ireland was referring to:

http://www.sunsoftgames.com/debrief.php

Sunsoft acquired entire Nihon Telenet library. Could mean obscure Rennovation and other obscure Japanese games are coming to VC and other services.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2009, 10:55:07 PM »
Yep we have a talkback thread on that already.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2009, 11:42:51 PM »
This might be my free NES game. This announcement makes me want to play the game again but I need a save feature to do so.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2009, 11:58:51 PM »
save state don't do it for you?

...i didn't think so.
A save feature would be great, and with the amount of effort that Vic Ireland says they are putting in to this revival (rewards and easter-eggs), I'm hoping they include some sort of save feature. The whole reason I never beat this game is the same reason I never beat Fester's Quest. If you die you start all the way back at the beginning since there is no way to save your game.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2009, 12:00:47 AM »
What's the difference?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2009, 02:02:11 AM »
Fantastic, anyone who hasn't played this game should buy it! Not only that but it has the best name ever for the protagonist's vehicle! Can't wait to play this game again, one of my all time favorites. One big disappointment is that it has one of the easiest final boss fights ever in an NES game.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 02:04:19 AM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2009, 07:55:30 AM »
What's the difference?

As far as I know (I've only played a few VC games) a save state will only save where you were when you quit playing. But if you die, you still have to start from the beginning.

A save feature would allow you to save where ever it lets you save, and then you can continue from that point anytime you load that save.

Now you might be able to mimic a save feature using a save state if you copy the save state over to a SD card after playing, but not every game lets you copy/move the save.
But a save feature would be alot easier and more permanent.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2009, 10:18:06 AM »
Yeah, the VC itself has no save feature. It basically just pauses where you are (like hitting paused on a DVD).

GP, i'm not sure how many people even made it to the final boss.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2009, 10:46:44 AM »
I haven't  played Blaster Master but the first Turtles game on the NES was very hard but when you got to the final boss it was very easy. I guess the developers thought "hey you have been through hell here is a gimmie final boss"

Oh GP check the Clandestine Claws topic in the Funhouse.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2009, 04:17:59 PM »
Fantastic, anyone who hasn't played this game should buy it! Not only that but it has the best name ever for the protagonist's vehicle! Can't wait to play this game again, one of my all time favorites. One big disappointment is that it has one of the easiest final boss fights ever in an NES game.

Just out of curiosity, does the game ever refer to that tank as the SOPHIA or was that just an invention of the book?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2009, 04:20:03 PM »
...You based your name on a videogame tank?
My Game Collection

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2009, 04:28:45 PM »
...You based your name on a videogame tank?
Blaster Master came out after GP was born. It is just a coincidence.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2009, 04:31:13 PM »
Not when Sophia is an assumed name and not her original name... It's no fun joking with someone when they don't really post here anymore...  :(
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2009, 04:42:43 PM »
One big disappointment is that it has one of the easiest final boss fights ever in an NES game.
Only if you have the best gun upgrade. Otherwise it is pretty tough.

Just out of curiosity, does the game ever refer to that tank as the SOPHIA or was that just an invention of the book?
The name is on the pause screen.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2009, 06:05:25 PM »

Meant final boss fight, you can beat him by staying in the right hand corner and shooting him until he is dead.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2009, 06:07:13 PM »

Meant final boss fight, you can beat him by staying in the right hand corner and shooting him until he is dead.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2009, 06:25:00 PM »
*pumps fist* Honestly, I could never beat even the second level of this game. Which... makes this game a lot like Kid Icarus in that respect... hmmm... so... Recommended for Everybody.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2009, 06:26:25 PM »
*pumps fist* Honestly, I could never beat even the second level of this game. Which... makes this game a lot like Kid Icarus in that respect... hmmm... so... Recommended for Everybody.

LOL, I still try to play Kid Icarus from time to time and still can't get past the first level. I get a bit farther over time but then get frustrated and ignore it for months.
My Game Collection

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2009, 06:31:03 PM »
After about 3 hour of excruciating play, concentration, and frustration, I finally beat Kid Icarus on what I consider the game's "easy mode."

By that I mean I beat level 1. The ending credits looked a lot like level 2, but I didn't stick around to watch them.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2009, 07:43:45 PM »
lol Kid Icarus. That's one of those games that I needed to have back when I had absolutely nothing to do all day.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2009, 07:47:05 PM »

LOL, I still try to play Kid Icarus from time to time and still can't get past the first level. I get a bit farther over time but then get frustrated and ignore it for months.
Ain't that the truth.
After about 3 hour of excruciating play, concentration, and frustration, I finally beat Kid Icarus on what I consider the game's "easy mode."

By that I mean I beat level 1. The ending credits looked a lot like level 2, but I didn't stick around to watch them.

LMAO. I still haven't gotten that far.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2009, 02:10:40 PM »
i still haven't played kid icarus...

I heard this game had some megaman 2 style tricks to beating bosses like using elecman's weapon on the Yellow Devil in the first wily stage, and constantly pausing/un-pausing as it passed thru him. Then there's what the Ghost of GP said.. which i read about in the book lol. I'm really upset at myself for never finishing the game but finishing the book.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2009, 03:23:03 PM »
i still haven't played kid icarus...

I heard this game had some megaman 2 style tricks to beating bosses like using elecman's weapon on the Yellow Devil in the first wily stage, and constantly pausing/un-pausing as it passed thru him.
Yep, there's an easy trick which works on most bosses. Here it is for those curious:
Pause the game right when a grenade explodes on the part of the boss that causes damage. It will continue to damage them even though the game is paused. Wait about 20 seconds and that should be enough. This works for the bosses on levels 1, 2, 4, 6, and 7.

If they are making changes to this game then I would not be surprised if tricks like this are removed.

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2009, 08:16:40 PM »
Blaster Master! The game I always wanted to play but never did. I hope it's not as hard as some are saying and that's just child memories.
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2009, 11:27:08 PM »
Sunsoft was capable of the greatest NES music ever. EVER.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2009, 02:07:22 PM »
Blaster Master! The game I always wanted to play but never did. I hope it's not as hard as some are saying and that's just child memories.
I don't think it is as difficult as everyone says, largely because I have beaten it and that should be proof enough. It is nowhere near as bad as games like Kid Icarus or Battletoads or any of those such games, and when it is difficult it is because of good game design and not cheap tricks or poor control.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2009, 03:41:41 PM »
Cometo think of it i rememeber getting pretty far once in middle school when I went on this NES phase and went back to play a bunch of my brothers old games. Some weren't as fun as what I had on SNES but blaster master was awesome. I died a few times but I don't remember feeling frustrated. The only thing that kept me from beating it was my nes being in bad shape.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2009, 05:51:21 PM »
The only thing that kept me from beating it was my nes being in bad shape.

That's why I put mine in a conditioning program including dumbbells and treadmills before I commence in any serious retro gaming binges.
My Game Collection

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2009, 09:23:34 PM »
The only thing that kept me from beating it was my nes being in bad shape.

That's why I put mine in a conditioning program including dumbbells and treadmills before I commence in any serious retro gaming binges.

Neither of us have the will power for that.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2009, 09:57:20 PM »
I'm considering this, seeing as I have 1,000 Wii Points just sitting there, yearning for release.

But I'm kind of holding my breath for Castlevania Rebirth, which STILL doesn't have a North American release date, even in that 2010 release schedule. *stews*

Whoever said that Shredder is easy in TMNT is fracking wrong. In the original NES game, his gun kills you in one hit, and he's got like two or three life bars. NOT COOL, because the Technodrome itself is a masochistic nightmare.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2009, 11:36:55 PM »
TMNT the original is harder than Festers Quest. But neither of this is as hard as Kid Icarus, but I still haven't played an NES game that has made me feel like there was no hope like Section Z.
now that game had me feeling like I was never getting anywhere regardless of how far I thought I went.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2009, 11:43:21 PM »
Halibred have you seen any videos of people beating the Shredder lately. It is rediculious how poor the AI is.  The rest of the game is pretty challenging so I think the final boss fight is rediculiously easy. Think about this. The Shredder in the 80's cartoon is not really a menace. So it is fitting that he isn't in the game.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2009, 02:08:06 PM »
So it looks like the game may be a part of some sort of contest soon:

Fans are encouraged to improve their skills so they can finish this supreme test of gaming skill to allow them to take part in a coming promotion that will test their skill for prizes.

http://www.sunsoftgames.com/news/2009-12-14%20BlasterMasterVC.php

Better practice up.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2009, 03:17:12 PM »
We're talking about the ORIGINAL NES TMNT game, yes? The sidescroller with cheap jumps and brief, painful overworld segments? I'm gonna have to look this sh*t up on YouTube.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2009, 09:23:45 PM »
Yes, the infamous first NES game, which Konami is evil for making.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2009, 02:02:05 PM »
I'm behind on the news; thanks for the heads-up folks. Blaster Master awesomeness for me!

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2009, 02:22:46 PM »
Just watched the TMNT videos. Shredder is fracking EASY, but the Technodrome looks like it's still ridiculously painful.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2009, 02:45:16 PM »
Told you Halibed.Now that we got that out of our system has anybody DLed Blaster Master?
If so what are your thoughts?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2009, 02:55:10 PM »
I played it a bit on Monday.  I really enjoy it.  I never played the game as a kid so this is my first direct experience with the game (although heard many great things about it).  I got to the boss of the first level but died.  Since it was my last life on that continue the game kicked me back to the start of the level so I just turned it off--I'll try again tonight.

I don't really understand how the gun works when you're controlling Jason in the overhead parts.  I pick up gun upgrades and my level goes up a notch or two (out of like 10) but after a while it goes back to zero--not sure if the upgrade only works for a certain number of shots or if it's timed or what.  Since the upgrades aren't super plentiful (at least not in the first level) and since there are so many boxes to shoot in the overhead parts (all of which respawn if you scroll past them and most of which contain absolutely nothing) I don't see how I'm ever going to upgrade my gun past the second level.  Maybe I'm missing something.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2009, 03:09:41 PM »
I don't really understand how the gun works when you're controlling Jason in the overhead parts.  I pick up gun upgrades and my level goes up a notch or two (out of like 10) but after a while it goes back to zero--not sure if the upgrade only works for a certain number of shots or if it's timed or what.  Since the upgrades aren't super plentiful (at least not in the first level) and since there are so many boxes to shoot in the overhead parts (all of which respawn if you scroll past them and most of which contain absolutely nothing) I don't see how I'm ever going to upgrade my gun past the second level.  Maybe I'm missing something.

The way the gun works is that every time you get hit your gun level drops down a notch until it's back to its default level of 1.  Honestly, for the most part you're better off just ignoring the gun and going close range with grenades,  They're more accurate, they do more damage, and they never get weaker.

Yeah, I also picked the game up on Monday and played up to the end of the 3rd level...where I got my ass kicked by the frickin' "block" boss.  It's just a room of spawning blocks that shoot at you after moving a bit.  The thing is, I can't tell if I'm actually doing any damage because this boss doesn't work like the usual bosses.  With the others, they gradually turn increasingly red as you deal damage until they explode.  With this one, you shoot the blocks until they vanish but usually they're just replaced by another block.  The SOPHIA the 3rd (gotta love that silly name) segments are fun and more than a little Metroid-y, though I would have appreciated better level design because all the rooms within a level look identical and it's very easy to get lost.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2009, 11:45:58 PM »
Honestly, for the most part you're better off just ignoring the gun and going close range with grenades,  They're more accurate, they do more damage, and they never get weaker.
This depends on which level you're talking about. The full gun gauge can shoot through walls and has a wide stream; this can be very helpful in levels with narrow passages, and can cut through a boss's defenses.

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2009, 01:08:12 PM »
I was determined to be the Level 2 boss without using the grenade trick.

I am not so determined anymore.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2009, 01:18:03 PM »

I've actually tried to pull off the grenade trick just to see how it works, and so far I can't do it successfully.  Thankfully, I had a full Gun meter when I took on the Level 2 boss, so he died without me taking a single hit.  It took several tries and lots of grenades, but I finally managed to beat the Level 3 boss with only a sliver of health left.

Unfortunately, I now have the Hover Pack, and I have to use it to reach the next area.  I loathe how Sunsoft coded the Hover Pack, forcing you to gather up these "H" symbols to fill it up instead of using a recharging meter.  It's amazing, but up until I got the Hover Pack every other enemy was dropping those H power-ups.  Now that I have the Hover Pack, no one drops them so I have to keep going into dungeons to find them.  When I get back to the tank and try going for that specific ledge, my meter's empty in less than 2 seconds (and when I'm about to land on the platform, suddenly an enemy spawns there to knock me off) and then I have to go back and get more power-ups for another attempt.  It's just sheer monotony.

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 19, 2009, 01:23:57 PM »

I've actually tried to pull off the grenade trick just to see how it works, and so far I can't do it successfully.  Thankfully, I had a full Gun meter when I took on the Level 2 boss, so he died without me taking a single hit.  It took several tries and lots of grenades, but I finally managed to beat the Level 3 boss with only a sliver of health left.

Unfortunately, I now have the Hover Pack, and I have to use it to reach the next area.  I loathe how Sunsoft coded the Hover Pack, forcing you to gather up these "H" symbols to fill it up instead of using a recharging meter.  It's amazing, but up until I got the Hover Pack every other enemy was dropping those H power-ups.  Now that I have the Hover Pack, no one drops them so I have to keep going into dungeons to find them.  When I get back to the tank and try going for that specific ledge, my meter's empty in less than 2 seconds (and when I'm about to land on the platform, suddenly an enemy spawns there to knock me off) and then I have to go back and get more power-ups for another attempt.  It's just sheer monotony.

Ugh, I remember the part about the hovering. It was such a stupid decision on their part to do that. I'll never understand why they did that.

And I actually had a nearly-fully-powered gun the last time I fought the Level 2 boss, but he hit me quickly, and before I knew it I only had a popgun left. I used to be so good at this game too...:(

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 19, 2009, 04:48:58 PM »
Ugh, I remember the part about the hovering. It was such a stupid decision on their part to do that. I'll never understand why they did that.
Because it was 1988 and recharging meters hadn't been realized yet.

The Level 2 boss isn't difficult if you know his movements. Just stay on the bottom of the screen and you can't get hit by the claws. Your bullets can destroy his shots so all you have to do is strafe back and forth blasting away.

I still think the Level 3 boss is the most difficult in the game. I can't beat that one unless I go in there with the full gun.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 19, 2009, 06:52:25 PM »
The way the gun works is that every time you get hit your gun level drops down a notch until it's back to its default level of 1. 
Ah, that makes sense.

Wait a sec ... THAT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE AT ALL!  (But at least it explains why my gun level kept going down.)  ;)

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2010, 10:55:13 PM »
So...who's excited about the WiiWare sequel? I'm excited!* And thanks to Johnny, we know that hovering is back, that it's harder to screw up, and that you can permanently increase your hover meter (maybe other attributes as well?).

In honor of that, I pledge to finally beat World 8. Tips, anyone? I get past the first big room, and then encounter nothing but Death Rooms. I don't know where to go!

*This is the first Blaster Master sequel to ever exist. If you think otherwise, shut up.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 11:48:17 PM by noname2200 »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2010, 12:23:02 AM »
*This is the first Blaster Master sequel to ever exist. If you think otherwise, shut up.
You shut up. I excitedly await the release of Blaster Master 2 on the Virtual Console.

Not only that but it has the best name ever for the protagonist's vehicle!
I discovered that it is actually spelled "SOFIA" which I had forgotten about. I wonder if that had to do with the translation...

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 07, 2010, 01:44:56 PM »
In honor of that, I pledge to finally beat World 8. Tips, anyone? I get past the first big room, and then encounter nothing but Death Rooms. I don't know where to go!
http://vgmaps.com/Atlas/NES/index.htm#BlasterMaster

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2010, 02:06:38 PM »
http://vgmaps.com/Atlas/NES/index.htm#BlasterMaster

Thank you much.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 07, 2010, 02:15:56 PM »
Not a problem!  VG Maps is a great resource for a great number of classic 2D games.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2010, 02:28:07 PM »
Isn't run by an old PGC member?

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2010, 03:20:26 PM »
That would be one Mr. Jon Leung.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2010, 05:45:04 PM »
Does anyone know if the contest that was mentioned here actually happened/will happen?

http://www.sunsoftgames.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #101 on: February 08, 2010, 08:30:47 PM »
I'm sure they haven't forgotten the contest, as Overload apparently has a similar bonus when you complete it. But I don't know any details of the contest(s). I assumed the critical information would be shown in the game itself, at the very end.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!