Author Topic: new twitter account says Wii HD will be out in 2010  (Read 6350 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: new twitter account says Wii HD will be out in 2010
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2009, 07:50:49 PM »
Making a WiiHD with a DSi like upgrade just for what I explained above, would make it so that existing users might double dip on the Wii and fence sitters might also jump in.

Would this not be considered a bad thing from our perspective?  It's funny that once Nintendo became number one again there has been so much talk about profits and install bases and just all sorts of corporate stuff that unless we're Nintendo stockholders we shouldn't care about at all.  Yet something like this, which is complete douchebag consumer exploitation, is just stated so matter-of-fact.  Like this is just part of Nintendo now.  A few years ago if Sony or MS tried that kind of crap everyone would RIGHTLY **** on them for it.  Hell, they would get crapped on NOW.

They could do it.  It certainly seems like something Nintendo would do.  But they're assholes if they do it.  And anyone who buys a second Wii for this is a sucker.  I wouldn't buy it but I don't think I register as part of Nintendo's target demo at this point anymore anyway.

I guess what I'm saying is if you're going to release a new console that will involve some incompatibility with the old console (you know they would make Wii HD only games) then go for broke and make it the next gen.  They do a minor nothing upgrade and it'll be the same crap as now where Dead Rising is getting gimped to all hell because the hardware gap between Nintendo and the competition is too huge.

Nintendo should be smart enough to realize that taking advantage of a target market that just doesn't know better is not a long term solution.  Eventually that **** catches up to you and that's why companies like Acclaim no longer exist.  Nintendo's whole thing was that you could rely on them to deliver a quality product.  Companies that try to con you into buying stuff you don't need don't do that.  Blatant rip-offs like the DSi?  Those are the sorts of things that people point at in "when did it go wrong?" discussions while your IP is being auctioned off.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2009, 08:13:26 PM »
"And anyone who buys a second Wii for this is a sucker.  I wouldn't buy it but I don't think I register as part of Nintendo's target demo at this point anymore anyway."

You're a casual gamer who wasn't going to buy a second Wii anyway.  Wii HD isn't targetted to you, it's targetted to those non-casual fence sitters, if such a machine exists.

Why would they make Wii-HD only games?  That doesn't make sense in the casual exploitation realm you continue to perpetuate, it's "too much work" to make prettier games.  It's not like the ability to put video on a TV screen is a separate functional device like an effing DSi camera.  Games show up on TV, the end.

Why would they break away from the norm like that?  Are you forgetting this is the same company that took away Progressive Scan output from GameCube SKUs last gen?  That didn't stop them and 3rd parties from supporting P.scan in games in the tail end of the system's life.  IT WAS WEIRD TO REMOVE IT, and it's a case of taking something away (physical function) while Wii HD DOESN'T take anything away, theoretically.

Is this some early-adopter elitism where the NEWEST NOOBEST OF THE NUB customers are supposed to be the ones that suffer while the early adopters hold on to their treasures?  (GC p.scan, PS3 BC)

Why shouldn't the new customers have access to something slightly fancier down the line?

In the end, Wii won't go HD (I hope).  I hope the rest of the industry collapses around a Standard Def white game machine.  Casual is the best long term solution there ever was, and the whatever GameCube solution was, was just a flappity flop.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 08:21:00 PM by NinGurl69 *huggles »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2009, 08:15:09 PM »
DSi is a transitional half upgrade. What I was proposing for a WiiHD isn't really like a DSi as in it is capable of soo much more, but more like Sony & MS offering a different sku with a HDMI port and a larger HDD.

*you can't focus on a single sentence that refers to an explanation above, but ignore the explanation that it was referring to*

It would be an invisible upgrade to the consumer as in the games don't get programed to take advantage of a larger frame buffer, just that all Wiis with increased Frame Buffers (e.g. the 2gb internal flash models) can now all upscale your all your current and future Wii games upto 720p. (& maybe the internet channel will work a little smoother too)

Developers now know that if they spend the time to create higher quality assets, it won't go unnoticed on the Wii and all the crying fanboys can finally get their HD output and increased internal flash. It's a win win if you ask me, and cost Nintendo (almost)nothing to do.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 08:18:24 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2009, 11:26:49 PM »
I think that the Wii still has enough steam to paddle through the blue ocean for 4 more years until it reaches HD land.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2009, 12:34:47 AM »
When Wii reaches HD land, it will find the 3rd Excuse Realm?
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2009, 03:06:07 AM »

It will conquer the 3rd Excuse Realm.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2009, 04:31:20 AM »

It will have transcended the realm of 3rd excuse and entered the land of 3rd partease.

XXXX for HD consoles*

*except for Wii

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2009, 04:32:36 AM »

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2009, 08:19:09 AM »

It will have transcended the realm of 3rd excuse and entered the land of 3rd partease.

XXXX for HD consoles*

*except for Wii

No amount of level grinding or healing potions will let Nintendo capture 3rd Excuse makers with their giant pokeballs.

guh

Get the **** off my lawn, kid.

This.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2009, 11:42:29 AM »
Quote from: True Blue
Quote from: Stratos
Quote from: BlackNMild2k1

Uh, yeah. I think the Wii has already encountered this 3rd excuse making realm that thou is mentioning.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2009, 12:40:18 PM »
They've got the realm but the inhabitants are still hiding. We're hoping they'll come out when their supplies run out but it looks like they prefer starving to death.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2009, 12:53:01 PM »
DSi is a transitional half upgrade. What I was proposing for a WiiHD isn't really like a DSi as in it is capable of soo much more, but more like Sony & MS offering a different sku with a HDMI port and a larger HDD.

Is it that simple?  I ask this legitimately since I'm no hardware expert.  At the time when the Wii was revealed the common excuse for why Nintendo was releasing a Gamecube 1.5 was because by not supporting HD there was no need in having such advanced hardware.  I assumed that all the extra horsepower of the other consoles was a requirement to take advantage of HD and that the Wii as is is not up to the task.  If it's just putting a port on there, well, that's a bummer for early adopters but is not THAT big of a deal.  I was under the assumption that upping the specs would be a requirement and if so they're going to make Wii HD only games, just like they make DSi only games.  It's in their best interest to since exclusive content will attract current Wii owners into double-dipping.

Is this some early-adopter elitism where the NEWEST NOOBEST OF THE NUB customers are supposed to be the ones that suffer while the early adopters hold on to their treasures?  (GC p.scan, PS3 BC)

Uh, no one is suggesting taking anything away.  I'm saying adding stuff that should have been there from day one is jerking around the early adopters.  The whole idea of a console is that you buy it and you can play every game.  Once you start having different versions and features that are only available to some of the userbase you're moving away from the whole hook of consoles in the first place.  And this is something that all three console makers are guilty of.  It really should be "this is it" and that's what we get for five years.

When Nintendo releases hardware comparible to the PS360, Sony and MS will probably release newer, more powerful consoles and Nintendo, again, will be a step behind and third parties will ignore them.  Now Sony and MS probably don't NEED to release another console for a long time and it would financially stupid for them to do so since the current consoles were financially a fair bit too much for the current market and to replace them would just create the same problem over again.  But this is a competitive market and if one guy releases a new console, everyone else will feel the urge to do so as well, even if it makes no fucking sense to.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2009, 02:06:11 PM »

Is it that simple?  I ask this legitimately since I'm no hardware expert.  At the time when the Wii was revealed the common excuse for why Nintendo was releasing a Gamecube 1.5 was because by not supporting HD there was no need in having such advanced hardware.  I assumed that all the extra horsepower of the other consoles was a requirement to take advantage of HD and that the Wii as is is not up to the task.  If it's just putting a port on there, well, that's a bummer for early adopters but is not THAT big of a deal.  I was under the assumption that upping the specs would be a requirement and if so they're going to make Wii HD only games, just like they make DSi only games.  It's in their best interest to since exclusive content will attract current Wii owners into double-dipping.

I don't think you are reading what I wrote, but instead just focusing on a specific sentence. No port needs to be added to the Wii, it already has component cables. Wii is already capable of outputting HD. All the Wii needs is more fill rate to upscale to that HD resolution.

The PS360 is more powerful because it is producing HD visuals using HD assets. The fictional WiiHD that I was discussing wouldn't be using any HD assets, just upscaling regular assets upto HD resolutions. Like a DVD upscaler. The DVD's are no different than any other DVD when it comes to resolution, and they work in any DVD player. But if you put your DVD in an upscaling DVD player and hook it up to a HDTV, the upscaler will take the 480p source(your DVD) and display it at 720p or 1080i(tada! upscaled). Essentially scaling the resolution up to something higher with some pretty noticeable differences.

The fictional WiiHD I was describing wouldn't really have any hardware difference that the Developers could take advantage of, because it wouldn't be included in the development kits. Sort of an invisible upgrade just to allow the Wii to upscale the image it already sends out at a higher resolution to your TV.

You have a PS3 now. Do you also have a HDTV?
hook up you old DVD player and the PS3 to the same HDTV and put the DVD in both of them to see the difference. The PS3 didn't turn your DVD into a Blu-ray, it just displayed the image it output at a higher res producing a more colorful, crisper, sharper image.

You also have to remember that the Xbox displayed out at 720p and the Wii is more powerful than the Xbox. The Wii is just lacking in fillrate since Nintendo optimized the system to do what they wanted it to do at the time, and nothing more.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2009, 02:26:55 PM »
"Is it that simple?  I ask this legitimately since I'm no hardware expert.  At the time when the Wii was revealed the common excuse for why Nintendo was releasing a Gamecube 1.5 was because by not supporting HD there was no need in having such advanced hardware.  I assumed that all the extra horsepower of the other consoles was a requirement to take advantage of HD and that the Wii as is is not up to the task.  If it's just putting a port on there, well, that's a bummer for early adopters but is not THAT big of a deal.  I was under the assumption that upping the specs would be a requirement and if so they're going to make Wii HD only games, just like they make DSi only games.  It's in their best interest to since exclusive content will attract current Wii owners into double-dipping."

Yeah, it is that simple.  Getting Wii Sports to display at 720p at the same framerate is, at the base, a matter of increasing the specs to display ~2.7X as many pixels (per frame) as the current Wii hardware does.  Given the advance in tech and the fall in prices since their R&D prior to 2006, it could be an inexpensive, minor upgrade.  The extra horsepower of the HD consoles is there to go WELL beyond the minimum of HD output, to drive more and more finer details on the screen; but that also affects the machine architecture, cuz they have to draw more power and provide adequate housing for cooling the hot and heavy tech -- 360's massive external power supply is more massive than massive, both consoles can fit multiple Wii units in each, and the PS3 Slim is still the size of a pizza.  That's too much for what Nintendo intended to fit in the Wii's current casing, already including the GCN ports and all.

Wii getting a new pair of glasses is not a big deal.  Competitors providing expensive me-too motion solutions midway is a big deal.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2009, 02:56:31 PM »
Of course I don't think people just mean HD resolution support when they talk about an HD Wii and it would not improve the third excuse porting situation either.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2009, 03:14:10 PM »
I was just giving a hypothetical on a minimum effort resolution to the HD output problem. Upscaling.

I really doubt Nintendo is gonna do a real upspec'd Wii to support HD Assets and HD Resoultion mid generation and alienate more than 50million existing users. A Upscaling Wii, like the emulator is the best stop-gap for the complainers, and might even get developers to stop using such muddy textures when the Wii can handle better than that. Its a cheap and effective alternative to getting nothing till 2012.

Throw in more internal flash, and then you really have a reason to double dip besides just getting a different color Wii.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2009, 04:12:11 PM »
HD Wii is a stupid idea.

Now let us never speak of it again.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2009, 04:33:48 PM »
HD Wii is a stupid idea.

Now let us never speak of it again.

WiiHD is like Duke Nukem Forever?
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2009, 04:43:32 PM »
Sorry, this thread doesn't get to be another Wii HD rant. I'm sure there is another thread somewhere where that has already happened.

People need to realize that twitter accounts might as well be the same as random forum posts as far as news is concerned unless its a confirmed source.

You wouldn't have made this thread if it was "NintendoHDFan09 made a thread on the GoNintendo forums saying he knows we will see an HD Wii next year!" would you?
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram