Author Topic: TWITCH.TV IS DEAD  (Read 12922 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: TWITCH.TV IS DEAD
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2014, 07:51:49 PM »
1. Napster and Twitch are apples and oranges here. Twitch is built into the PS4 and anyone who's made a game for it was aware of that and tacitly endorsed it.
2. Napster was shut down because the RIAA had many more and much more expensive lawyers than they did.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2014, 08:22:24 PM »
If they're getting stuff taken down that came directly from a game stream via a share feature that's heavily advertised on a site specifically designed for streaming games I don't see how that shouldn't be considered fair use.
Napster advertised their service as used for perfectly legit purposes too and they still got shut down.

In what world is that a similar comparison.

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2014, 12:31:24 AM »
I didn't say they were the same, insanolord said they advertised the service so therefore it equals legit, I was pointing out that they advertised non-infrigning aspects of Napster they still got shut down. I was not saying Naspter is the same as Twich god damn you guys can't think I am that stupid damn.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2014, 12:44:44 AM »
My point was that anyone who makes games for the PS4 is aware that the system offers that, and I'd imagine part of their deals with Sony include explicitly authorizing that. I they don't want people doing that, don't support the system.

And Napster shouldn't have been shut down; to get a bit tongue-in-cheek, file sharing services don't pirate things, people pirate things. A small operation like them couldn't out-litigate the big money lawyers of the RIAA, though.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2014, 12:50:46 AM »
I'm curious, why did Limewire get shut down? For the same reasons as Napster?

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2014, 12:53:13 AM »
My point was that anyone who makes games for the PS4 is aware that the system offers that, and I'd imagine part of their deals with Sony include explicitly authorizing that. I they don't want people doing that, don't support the system.

And Napster shouldn't have been shut down; to get a bit tongue-in-cheek, file sharing services don't pirate things, people pirate things. A small operation like them couldn't out-litigate the big money lawyers of the RIAA, though.

I am not advocating taking the whole thing down but I am pointing out that very thing, the fear of litigation is what motivates being overly cautious in the first place, remember Google got sued over infringement on Youtube way back when they first bought it and that is why they take a preemptive stance, to cover their own asses. I know its not fair but it is better than getting shut down like Napster did which is what would happen if they didn't take a proactive stance to stop infringement even if it is perceived and not real.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2014, 04:50:51 PM »
Many of what you complained about would come under my suggestion for a "False Claim" cause.  Got permission, then get flagged anyway?  False claim.  No music?  False claim.

While I don't *agree* with this type of enforcement, the fact is the streamers don't own the music, thus don't have the right to broadcast it.

I think it's a bad tactic, but they're within their rights.

When you put it that way they technically don't "own" the games either. Unless by own you mean bought... Well many people do buy their songs, so in that sense they own them as much as they own the games they're streaming.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2014, 05:00:16 PM »
This is the worst thread. For today at least.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2014, 06:43:14 PM »
Amazon bought Twitch.TV.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2014, 08:05:45 PM »
Yep. To be honest, nothing has really changed. Amazon is just as bad as Google and the VOD changes are still active and aren't going away. It may sway some people, but Twitch is still dead to me.

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2014, 11:46:36 PM »
I'm curious, why did Limewire get shut down? For the same reasons as Napster?

no Limewire was used for illegal stuff that got them into trouble. Also people switched to torrents and never looked back.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 12:18:16 AM by marvel_moviefan_2012 »