Author Topic: NBA Jam Coming as Standalone Release on 360, PS3  (Read 3890 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
NBA Jam Coming as Standalone Release on 360, PS3
« on: September 28, 2010, 01:32:16 AM »

The "Wii-exclusive" is coming to 360 and PS3, and it might be a retail release.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/blog/24126

As you might already know, NBA Jam, the purported Wii-exclusive reboot of the popular series, was supposed to be coming to Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 as a downloadable bonus for people who bought NBA Elite 11 for either system.

There's an update now. NBA Elite 11 is being delayed, and NBA Jam is coming to 360 and PS3 later this year, according to Peter Moore's blog. Even worse, Moore's wordage alludes to the possibility of the game being a retail release.

"In addition to the Wii version, we’re going to ship NBA JAM as a standalone product on the Xbox360 and PS3 in time for the holidays. Watch for more news soon on the exact timing of that release," Moore said.

The good news is that NBA Jam will be a Wii exclusive for a month or two. The bad news is that the Wii version might the be worst version of them all, since it lacks online play.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: NBA Jam Coming as a Standalone Release on 360, PS3
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 04:09:35 AM »
Well, it might not be the worse version if you don't care about competitive online multiplayer. NBA Jam looks like it would be more fun with local.

Still, this situation kinda sucks in terms of third-party exclusivity for the Wii. Then again, this is nothing new for a Nintendo system.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 10:17:18 AM »
I think the worse part of this situation is the broken promises. Does it really matter whether or not that this game is a Wii exclusive? No. What matters most is that Wii owners will be able to play this game.

However, this BS that EA had been feeding Wii owners ever since the announcement of this game had me thinking that they actually cared about Nintendo's system and its gamers more than other companies. Clearly, I was mistaken.

At this point, I would actually be much more excited about this game if it had originally been planned for 360 and PS3, and THEN announced to be coming to Wii, because I would be happy to be getting a version that I could play. That might make me feel that EA actually cared. Instead, I get a broken promise of "exclusivity," a conspicuous absence of an online mode, and price that is yet to be determined. (And at this point I wouldn't be surprised if it were the same as the HD versions) But like I said, none of that matters. I still get NBA Jam. What I don't get are any warm, fuzzy feelings towards EA, despite the opportunities they had to foster them.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 10:23:05 AM »
The good news is that NBA Jam will be a Wii exclusive for a month or two. The bad news is that the Wii version might the be worst version of them all, since it lacks online play.

Don't forget updated rosters for teams (like mine) who traded star players after July 1st, which the HD versions will get via online patches but the Wii version will never have.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 05:43:51 PM »
I just don't understand why they didn't announce this as a Multi-plat title to begin with. It did not make any sense for it to be exclusive to the Wii in the first place. It is nice to know that I don't have to buy NBA Elite to get this game now.
"Nothing tips like a cow."

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 07:44:39 PM »
On one hand, I don't fault EA for going multiplatform.  Many people (with and without Wii consoles) will likely play and enjoy the game - and that's a good thing.

However, it does bite that the "Wii exclusive" game will almost definitely be better on any console other than Wii.  All that hype and excitement, the feeling that Wii owners were getting something special... flushed away in a swirl of disappointment.  Updated rosters won't matter in a couple years, but certainly do matter on release.  Online play won't trump face-to-face gaming with your buddies, but having the option sure would've been nice.

The only way this could be worse for Wii owners was if EA released the game as digital content for 360/PS3 and undercut the Wii price... since being cheaper is just about the only advantage this Wii game has over it's competitors.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 07:48:03 PM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 07:51:22 PM »
However, it does bite that the "Wii exclusive" game will almost definitely be better on any console other than Wii.

This I disagree with. The only thing the 360 and PS3 versions will have exclusive is online play. The Wii version, on the to other hand, will have entire modes exclusive to it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 07:56:35 PM »
The only thing the 360 and PS3 versions will have exclusive is online play. The Wii version, on the to other hand, will have entire modes exclusive to it.
That was the old, free-with-NBA Elite 11 version, not necessarily this new standalone version.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: NBA Jam Coming as Standalone Release on 360, PS3
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 08:04:46 PM »
So do we actually know what all the features are in this new version for the 360 and PS3 or are people assuming that those versions will be better?

Oh also until we get some facts about the 360 and PS3 versions I think what TJ Spike posted is the only reliable info anything else is just worrying.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 08:11:22 PM by Maxi »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 09:06:45 PM »
Whether or not TJ Spyke turns out to be correct, I'd definitely say that there is probable cause for worry. If NBA Jam were still being released on the day that NBA Elite 11 was supposed to drop, I wouldn't think twice. However, it's being delayed, and there is likely a reason for that delay.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 09:48:35 PM »
Oh also until we get some facts about the 360 and PS3 versions I think what TJ Spike posted is the only reliable info anything else is just worrying.

No its not. Go read the blog post by Peter Moore. He doesn't specify that it's on XBLA or PSN. He doesn't mention anything about it being a reduced version. He just says it will SHIP before the holidays. I don't know how you ship a downloadable game. It's not 100 percent confirmation, but it is a definitely a reason to worry.

The fact that EA isn't spelling out what the NBA Jam release is means to me that it will likely be more than what the free version with NBA Elite 11 was going to be. Everyone will find out about that in, oh, about a week or so, after NBA Jam is released on Wii.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 10:25:07 PM »
From Kotaku:
Pachter doesn't think the separate availability of NBA Jam on other consoles will seriously harm its overall sales - though it could do damage to the Wii-only figures for those keeping score there. "We expected Jam to do only 500,000 units on the Wii, and the impact from release on other platforms will impact only those households who have multiple consoles, and then only to the extent that they weren't going to buy NBA Elite for PS3 or 360, but intended to buy Jam on the Wii." Pachter told Kotaku, "In short, maybe 100,000 units on the Wii, but more than offset by sales on the other consoles."
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 10:48:29 PM »

No its not. Go read the blog post by Peter Moore. He doesn't specify that it's on XBLA or PSN. He doesn't mention anything about it being a reduced version. He just says it will SHIP before the holidays. I don't know how you ship a downloadable game. It's not 100 percent confirmation, but it is a definitely a reason to worry.

The fact that EA isn't spelling out what the NBA Jam release is means to me that it will likely be more than what the free version with NBA Elite 11 was going to be. Everyone will find out about that in, oh, about a week or so, after NBA Jam is released on Wii.
glad I didn't have to say it. The wording was already too obvious to me.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 10:54:02 PM »
Well if it is a retail game then that means its going to cost more the the Wii version. How is that a bad thing compared to the Wii version?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 09:42:07 PM »
Well if it is a retail game then that means its going to cost more the the Wii version. How is that a bad thing compared to the Wii version?

Not necessarily, and even if that's true, if I were going to buy the game (which I was never sure about), I think the online play and roster updates would justify the extra $10 for me. To be honest, though, I'd have been a lot more likely to buy NBA Elite with the bonus NBA Jam download than I'll be to buy any version of Jam at or near full price.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent