Author Topic: RFN RetroActive Game Nominations  (Read 197292 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: RFN RetroActive Game Nominations
« Reply #225 on: August 16, 2009, 05:39:27 AM »
I remember when the Xbox 360 version of Shadowrun was announced, both critics and a lot of gamers were upset that it was not the same type of game as the original was a action-RPG while the 2007 one was a FPS.

Yeah. Plus Shadow Run is an RP-freakin-G. How in the world do they come to the conclusion that it should have been an FPS? A Gauntlet or Diablo style action game or a full on RPG/MMO would have been a better fit for the IP. Strange.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 17, 2009, 06:36:41 PM »
I can't believe Sin and Punishment is not on that nomination list! It needs to be on there!
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #227 on: August 17, 2009, 07:28:42 PM »
Shadowrun for SNES is freaking awesome. It's not the easiest game to find now, though.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 18, 2009, 05:45:09 AM »
I can't believe Sin and Punishment is not on that nomination list! It needs to be on there!

Agreed, that one should be there. Consider it seconded.
My Game Collection

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 18, 2009, 12:17:08 PM »
I would like to throw out there that Shining Force II is a moderately better game than Shining Force I, so if there's a Genesis poll coming up, I'd like to suggest that if you're going to put one of those two games in there, you go with the second one.  They're both on VC, and on SUGC for the HD consoles.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 31, 2009, 08:37:38 PM »
Aren't we supposed to have a Genesis poll going up any day now?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 17, 2009, 03:33:34 PM »
I nominate Killer7 for an upcoming GCN RetroActive.  3 of the 4 of you haven't played it (much) so it's perfect!  ;)
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 18, 2009, 06:16:52 PM »
I nominate Killer7 for an upcoming GCN RetroActive.  3 of the 4 of you haven't played it (much) so it's perfect!  ;)

I think we've sufficiently covered that Jonny hates the game and I'd rather not sit through two more weeks of how much he hates it, thanks.  Let's see some real lost gems like one of the two Baten Kaitos games; Prince of Persia: Sands of Time (or Two Thrones, my personal favorite of the trilogy); or Skies of Arcadia Legends.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 18, 2009, 09:07:15 PM »
I think we've sufficiently covered that Jonny hates the game and I'd rather not sit through two more weeks of how much he hates it, thanks.

Jonny hasn't played the game for more than an hour.  Greg's never played it and from the lack of any Lindy input I'm willing to guess he hasn't played it either.  Only the great Mr. Jones has prior experience with the game.  Besides, it would be a good excuse to have Karl on as a guest so he can gush about the game for an hour.

Let's see some real lost gems like one of the two Baten Kaitos games

No one wants to play your shitty games.  They didn't want to play them when they came out and they don't want to play them now.

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time (or Two Thrones, my personal favorite of the trilogy)

Everybody and his mother already played these games.

or Skies of Arcadia Legends.

Can't play it if you can't buy it.  Good luck trying to find a reasonably priced copy of this game.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 18, 2009, 09:31:40 PM »
I think we've sufficiently covered that Jonny hates the game and I'd rather not sit through two more weeks of how much he hates it, thanks.

Jonny hasn't played the game for more than an hour.  Greg's never played it and from the lack of any Lindy input I'm willing to guess he hasn't played it either.  Only the great Mr. Jones has prior experience with the game.  Besides, it would be a good excuse to have Karl on as a guest so he can gush about the game for an hour.

Let's see some real lost gems like one of the two Baten Kaitos games

No one wants to play your ****ty games.  They didn't want to play them when they came out and they don't want to play them now.

No one wants to play my "****ty games", but they want to play your "****ty game"?  LOL...At least mine got good review scores and could be legitimately called "good games".  And by the way, no one played your game either.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 19, 2009, 02:02:32 PM »
LOL...At least mine got good review scores and could be legitimately called "good games".

Killer7 - 77.10%
Baten Kaitos - 81.64%
Baten Kaitos Origins - 77.29%

Looks like we both have a shitty taste in games.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 19, 2009, 02:32:58 PM »

If we're going to have a GC retroactive I'll nominate Gotcha Force.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #237 on: October 19, 2009, 05:03:51 PM »
If we're going to have a GC retroactive I'll nominate Gotcha Force.

LOL, I never expected to see that game's title again. I reviewed it for PGC and should still have the disc around here somewhere. It's completely insane but actually quite good. It's a bit like Powerstone and Custom Robo, combined.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Snipper64

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Snipper64
« Reply #238 on: October 19, 2009, 06:39:30 PM »
I vote for GEIST! One of the most overlooked games on gamecube. It involved strategy, problem solving and a original first person shooter engine.

For those of you who do not know, you control a ghost who can control objects and people to carry out his tasks. for fighting for example, if you have a room ahead of you filled with heavy machine gunners and you only are in control of a weaponless engineer, you can leave the body, go past them as ghost, find a machine gun turrent to take over to riddle the guards from behind, or take over a explosive crate to self destruct it. There are so many possibilitys and also rough but decent graphics, voiced, and I thought the story was awesome.
I am matter...I am antimatter...I can see your past...I can see your future...I consume time...and I will consume you!

VOTE FOR CHOANIKI! you know you want too...

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 19, 2009, 07:30:13 PM »

Offline Snipper64

• View Profile
    • Snipper64
« Reply #240 on: October 19, 2009, 09:28:11 PM »
Please tell me you're kidding.

LMAO.... Wow... I am like 5 episodes behind, trying to catch up XD To bad I missed it live.
I am matter...I am antimatter...I can see your past...I can see your future...I consume time...and I will consume you!

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #241 on: October 20, 2009, 02:18:51 AM »
Wah wah waaaah.

I think either Baten Kaitos would be a good pick for RetroActive, BTW. Both have interesting plot-lines. The second is a bit more balanced and less frustrating overall (although I recall giving up at the final stretch), but the original's battle mechanics are more intricate and novel (and insane), and would make for better discussion.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 20, 2009, 03:24:13 AM »
What about the two Lost Kingdom games on Gamecube, since we are talking about the GC poll (not sure why, isn't N64 next in line?). I recall those got a fair amount of praise but both ended up being overlooked sleepers.
My Game Collection

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 20, 2009, 03:30:46 AM »
What about the two Lost Kingdom games on Gamecube, since we are talking about the GC poll (not sure why, isn't N64 next in line?). I recall those got a fair amount of praise but both ended up being overlooked sleepers.

Definitely Lost Kingdoms 2.  Don't know about nominating the first game.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 20, 2009, 03:32:11 AM »
Either one if fine by me as I never played either of them. They both slipped off of my radar for other games and I would like an opportunity to try one of them.
My Game Collection

Offline Snipper64

• View Profile
    • Snipper64
« Reply #245 on: October 20, 2009, 06:31:05 AM »
I like that idea stratos, never heard of it, but sounds like a good game.

Also, I would nominate Future Tactics, while I think the game is good, I do not think it would be a good pick for a retroactive... so I am not nominating it, but just giving it a shout out.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #246 on: October 20, 2009, 01:54:11 PM »
I'll take any and all nominations, but keep in mind it will be a long time before we get back to GameCube, as we've already done three GC titles on RetroActive. After Genesis will be the Second Chance round, and beyond that, I'm not sure. I'd like to do N64, but it's in the nether zone between being readily available in physical terms and having a critical mass on Virtual Console. So, we may do a portable system or check out one of the more obscure systems on VC, like Master System or Neo Geo.

Once I feel that we've exhausted the good opportunities on system-specific polls, we may switch to genres. Eventually, I'd like to revisit a couple of these systems with a large, good selection (like NES).
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 20, 2009, 01:58:23 PM »
Someday, after Faxanadu is on VC, I will recommend that.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 20, 2009, 02:04:14 PM »
I'd like to do N64, but it's in the nether zone between being readily available in physical terms and having a critical mass on Virtual Console.

Just force everyone to play Paper Mario.  ;D

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 20, 2009, 02:54:10 PM »
I'd like to do N64, but it's in the nether zone between being readily available in physical terms and having a critical mass on Virtual Console.

Just force everyone to play Paper Mario.  ;D

Bleh.  Given it's "Black Sheep" status within the Zelda-verse, I'd rather see Majora's Mask on there if we're talking N64.  I saw an awful lot of people saying they skipped over MM when it came out on VC a while back.

Pity the pickings on the N64 is so slim, because there are probably lots of N64 games deserving of RetroActives that simply aren't on the service.