Author Topic: Official Endless Ocean (Forever Blue) thread  (Read 43608 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Official Endless Ocean (aka Forever Blue) thread
« Reply #125 on: November 24, 2007, 08:11:57 PM »
You must have been playing a different game because from what I've seen from gameplay footage is a beautiful game. So please stop trolling.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Official Endless Ocean (aka Forever Blue) thread
« Reply #126 on: November 24, 2007, 08:29:34 PM »
Oooh, you're still bitter because I called your bashing of PH trolling? Cry some more please.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 24, 2007, 08:31:10 PM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Oooh, you're still bitter because I called your bashing of PH trolling? Cry some more please.

At least I'm not a German Troll! (It has been established in the past if you dislike a game or disagree with the majority that you are a troll). But for your information I'm laughing, not crying, I only cry when I'm sad. It is funny when goobers take what you say so seriously.

Anyway from EuroGamer, who had one of the harshest reviews of Endless Ocean. While they point out what they consider flaws quite clearly, visuals are NOT one of them.

It's a good thing the fish, seals, penguins, dolphins, jellyfish, sharks, seahorses, whales and coelacanth of Endless Ocean are so exquisitely rendered. All the sea life is as believable and beautiful in its appearance as it is ridiculous in its diversity.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 24, 2007, 11:01:41 PM »
EuroGamer's the only review site I trust anymore. Aside from.. NWR... of course.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 25, 2007, 01:36:37 AM »
Alright been playing for a few days now, and the game is definitely beautiful, the best looking game on Wii. (I haven't played Galaxy yet). It took a while for me to get into but now i'm starting to really enjoy it. While this pretty much defines "non-game" there's still sort of a set path and "missions" to do but at the moment i'm just exploring on my own and it's really satisfying seeing all the different types of underwater environments. The soundtrack as a whole is very good and immersive too.

KDR you get more options to do stuff as you progress through the first hour or two. 10 minutes is nothing in this game. Anyway I still have heaps of ocean to explore.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 25, 2007, 08:24:24 AM »

Originally posted by: Mario
Alright been playing for a few days now, and the game is definitely beautiful, the best looking game on Wii. (I haven't played Galaxy yet). It took a while for me to get into but now i'm starting to really enjoy it. While this pretty much defines "non-game" there's still sort of a set path and "missions" to do but at the moment i'm just exploring on my own and it's really satisfying seeing all the different types of underwater environments. The soundtrack as a whole is very good and immersive too.

KDR you get more options to do stuff as you progress through the first hour or two. 10 minutes is nothing in this game. Anyway I still have heaps of ocean to explore.

Does the game look like a low Gamecube game? Seriously I think Endless Ocean is getting unfairly treated in reviews by some publications, the game is meant to be a casual experience with a focus on exploration, I think it should be rated on how well it accomplishes that. It is like Nintendogs getting compared to the excitement of Mario Galaxy or something, the games SHOULD NOT be compared, though I see this happening with the Endless Ocean reviews with comments like "it is too simple".  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 26, 2007, 01:21:17 AM »
The graphics do look kinda weak to me, above water it looks like those CAD generated images but above water isn't a focus anyway. The animations just struck me, I would have expected them to make the anims more natural (especially after Nintendogs which supposedly has very natural animations) but then again I guess casuals don't know that realtime graphics can do convincing animations too so they don't care.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 27, 2007, 06:06:22 AM »
Hm, looks like the models have the potential to look good but for some reason the image is grainy and faded or something, really looks PS2ish from that effect. If I hadn't tried it on two different TVs I would have blamed the TV. The animations are problematic independent of that though, especially for animals on the boat.

Nice effect that the plants get pushed out of the way of the camera, would be nice if they reacted to the diver's body too though (instead of just clipping through...). Oh and I first encountered the zone limits. Bah, those are annoying. You see something interesting and can't go there because the zone doesn't include it. I saw the blue whale but couldn't reach it because of the limit. Some other invisible walls are there too. I think those are a horrible idea in a game for casuals, they aren't used to the concept of simply limiting the playfield without visible obstacles.

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 27, 2007, 10:38:29 AM »
I also have the game but I don't have any problems with the graphics nor have I really taken any notice of the animation in a critical fashion. Sure seals on the boat don't move around gracefully but they don't in real life either. Once underwater the fish/ marine life animations are very capable I think. A quality example is the turtles in the lagoon, which look and behave just like the ones I saw in the waters around the Whitsundays in Queensland.  I'm also very satisfied with the graphics, they are quite beautiful and most importantly they are believable. I think the little details help to improve visual appeal even further, especially when you zoom in close on coral and see the current shifting back and forth and see the particles in the water swirling about.

However KDR's dive zone complaint is  an annoyance that I share, I assume it's so the game doesn't have to load the whole ocean every dive. Perhaps if the game explained the restriction better it would make more sense as it doesn't really provide a reason why you are restricted to a certain radius around the boat (Eg it could have said that you could only remain in communication with the boat within that area or something similar). The interactions are limited, your diver doesn't actually touch the fish/ marine life (with exceptions) but when you feed a fish and then it follows you around I find it quite magical. The only other complaint I would have is the text that is used in your 'logbook'. It's difficult to read, and reminds me of the terrible typography in games like ISS 64 and G1 Jockey. This is a pity because I love the facts that they do have about the creatures and the moving animations in the book are stunning.

That being said I really adore this game and it has been the only thing to drag me away from Metroid.  Take my opinion with the knowledge that I do love the ocean and all things related so perhaps I am biased?
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 28, 2007, 08:46:58 PM »
BTW, is it just me or does the cursor in the game seem really laggy? Like you make a move and it moves a few moments later?

Offline therat

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 01, 2007, 05:25:55 AM »
Its only 20 beans, and its got enya music, ill buy it just to have it on in the background =) all games should be like 20 bucks, and downloadable, so i can has it now

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 01, 2007, 05:44:21 AM »
I don't know much about Enya but the music is credited to another name. Also songs with someone singing suck as background music.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 01, 2007, 06:41:30 AM »
Does this game have the Hayley Westenra music (a version of "Prayer") that was featured in the trailers?  
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 01, 2007, 06:46:33 AM »
Yep, that's the title music. You can choose to have it play when diving too, when you dive you get to select a song in a menu. There's 8 songs or so but only two are unlocked initially. I've only unlocked one additional song which is by Westenra too.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 01, 2007, 07:56:05 AM »
I just need to know if its as awesome as Pokemon Snap was.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 01, 2007, 07:39:23 PM »
Dunno, has anyone ever played Pokemon Snap?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 02, 2007, 07:38:15 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Dunno, has anyone ever played Pokemon Snap?

*shakes fist in anger*
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 15, 2008, 10:55:35 PM »
Mah early impressions! Short version: It's INCREDIBLE.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 16, 2008, 04:02:35 AM »
That was awfully coherent for an Infernal Gurnal entry. I'm hyped for the fishes now.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 16, 2008, 07:41:02 AM »

Originally posted by: Infernal Monkey
Mah early impressions! Short version: It's INCREDIBLE.

Does it look like a high end dreamcast game?  

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 16, 2008, 10:21:44 AM »
Stop it.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 16, 2008, 10:53:57 AM »

Originally posted by: Mario
Stop it.

You stop it.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 16, 2008, 11:06:36 AM »

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
That was awfully coherent for an Infernal Gurnal entry. I'm hyped for the fishes now.
That was an actual thread, wasn't it?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 16, 2008, 11:18:57 AM »

Originally posted by: IceCold

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
That was an actual thread, wasn't it?

That explains it.

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #149 on: January 21, 2008, 04:32:39 AM »
I just got it and it's nice, sort of like a diver's Pilot Wings, but not as goal oriented. The camera is sort of strange, but easy to get used to. Since the goals aren't forced on the player I'm trying to figure why

If anyone wants to try the wifi feature here's my info: 3285-0635-2060 Send me a message and I'll add you back.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics