Author Topic: RFN RetroActive Game Nominations  (Read 196696 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Re: RFN RetroActive Game Nominations
« Reply #475 on: June 09, 2012, 12:50:10 AM »
Something visceral such as these games:

• Resident Evil 4
  • Majora's Mask
  • Conker's Bad Fur Day
  • Final Fantasy 6

Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: June 12, 2012, 08:27:07 PM »
Where did you import it from, Europe?

I can't IMAGINE trying to play that game without understanding what its saying.

Edit: WAIT!? THAT GAME GOES FOR $75!? HOLY HELL!

Yes, imported from Europe. Totally agree about language considerations.

Yes, the going rate for Infinite Space in North America is RIDICULOUS.  It was almost enough for me to try importing multiple copies with hopes of selling for a profit... but I doubt demand is high enough, and anyone willing to buy a European copy could probably find an online importer just as easily as I did.
NNID: ejamer

Offline guitardeth3

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: June 20, 2012, 04:11:22 AM »
metroid II

jet force gemini

pikmin 1 or 2

castlevania dracula x

megaman x 3

Yoshi's story

and for a fun/unrealistic nomination, demons crest

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: June 20, 2012, 08:52:13 AM »
Where did you import it from, Europe?

I can't IMAGINE trying to play that game without understanding what its saying.

Edit: WAIT!? THAT GAME GOES FOR $75!? HOLY HELL!

Yes, imported from Europe. Totally agree about language considerations.

Yes, the going rate for Infinite Space in North America is RIDICULOUS.  It was almost enough for me to try importing multiple copies with hopes of selling for a profit... but I doubt demand is high enough, and anyone willing to buy a European copy could probably find an online importer just as easily as I did.
A week ago, someone was selling a copy (cartridge only) on Amazon for $24 or so.  I wish I had jumped on the deal.  That's the cheapest price I've found so far.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: June 21, 2012, 12:55:06 AM »
Just got it from Gamestop for $20 used. They got several more copies in other shops in the area.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: June 21, 2012, 12:52:40 PM »
@guitardeth3

Metroid II has already recieved a retroactive segment. I can't remember the exact episode but it would have been in 2010 I believe.
Gouge away.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: June 21, 2012, 01:09:52 PM »
Didn't we also already do Yoshi's Story? It was in a poll, at least. Pikmin 2 is also our Game Club game this month, but because of E3 we haven't done much with it yet. There's stuff in the pipeline for the next couple weeks.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: June 21, 2012, 03:54:11 PM »
I'm telling you guys. We need to get a retroactive on both Faxanadu and Ufouria. In fact, it's been about 3 years since I played Ufouria, I think I'll play that tomorrow (you know when I'm not playing Mutant Mudds).
Gouge away.

Offline Hey Einstein!

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: June 22, 2012, 10:38:46 AM »
Re: Infinite Space - I too would like an excuse to play it and chops about it online. No idea it was hard to get in the US, I've seen it for £5 a few times in the UK.

Whilst on the theme, I'd dearly like to play some DS for the next RetroActive and preferably a platformer.
So my suggestions are:

Wario Master of Disguise
Kirby's Magic Paint Brush/Canvas Curse

The Legendary StarFy
Henry Hatsworth (as it gets mentioned on the show a fair bit)
Yoshi's Island DS

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: August 07, 2012, 10:45:17 PM »
Fluidity is available through Club Nintendo again until Aug 19th.  Seems like a great time to do a Retroactive on the game, since some people could get it without any actual cash outlay.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: August 08, 2012, 01:01:51 PM »
Fluidity is available through Club Nintendo again until Aug 19th.  Seems like a great time to do a Retroactive on the game, since some people could get it without any actual cash outlay.

Plus, it's a f***ing masterpiece.

There would, however, be two downsides to this being a Retroactive nominee.

The first downside, at least for me, would be that I find puzzle focused games such as Hydroadventure (Fluidity) to have low replayability (I know it's not a word). I collected absolutely everything in that game and feel like I would be gaining very little out of replaying it. I guess I could still contribute to the discussions though.

Secondly, wouldn't the conversation basically amount to 'that game is great'? You could talk about how the physics are great, how great the level designs are, how great the powers are etc. I defy anyone to argue that Hydroadventure was not a great game. The best retroactive episodes for me, however, tend to be about more divisive games.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Faxanadu or Ufouria would make for a great episode.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 01:03:55 PM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: August 10, 2012, 11:29:32 PM »

Secondly, wouldn't the conversation basically amount to 'that game is great'? You could talk about how the physics are great, how great the level designs are, how great the powers are etc. I defy anyone to argue that Hydroadventure was not a great game. The best retroactive episodes for me, however, tend to be about more divisive games.

I actually didn't like it that much, even though I didn't hate it either. This probably has to do with the controls, and my general inability to have any coordination.  :(

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: August 11, 2012, 05:57:49 AM »

I actually didn't like it that much

*Record screeches to a stop*

*Everyone in the room looks at you*

Gouge away.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: August 11, 2012, 11:42:41 AM »

I actually didn't like it that much

*Record screeches to a stop*

*Everyone in the room looks at you*
.......awwwwkward....>_>

Offline Hey Einstein!

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: September 06, 2012, 10:25:35 AM »
Everybody loves diversity, right? How about a Gameboy puzzle retroactive? What could be more different to the recent crop of RetroActive's than that?
It could be a challenge to discuss this type of game as they tend not to have a plot/dialogue. But why not go all the way, do a totally different retrospective where we play as many of the games as we can and discuss which is the best & why.  And there could be room to talk about when and where you remember playing some of them back in the day. If we stick to what's out on the virtual console it'll be easy to get hold of the games, relatively cheap (3 wouldn't break the bank) and there are already a diverse selection of puzzles on the eshop.
Check out the list:

Tetris (is it really the best puzzle game on the GB/all time?), Kirby Star Stacker, Quix, Catrap, Dr Mario (room for more misty eyed reminiscence), Lock N Chase and Mario's Picross.

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: September 15, 2012, 12:52:01 PM »
I nominate 007 Nightfire, probably the best Bond game since Goldeneye (Goldeneye Wii is probably at the same level, Eurocom are really the best Bond developers). It has a great single player campaign and is a solid multiplayer experience.
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline TheXenocide

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: September 24, 2012, 09:26:03 AM »
I just had a good idea for a future retroactive. How about one centered on hidden jems that, though very good games, most people likely missed out on, games like Zack and Wiki, The World Ends with You, A Boy and his Blob, etc?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 09:30:31 AM by TheXenocide »

Offline Glad0s

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Reagan's Music Reviews
« Reply #492 on: September 24, 2012, 10:36:06 AM »
Well, sorta tying into Xenocide's post up there, why not do a Wii RetroActive where you pick out hidden Wii gems? There aren't many that you guys haven't talked about, but I'm sure there are some. Plus, it'd be a good way to send the Wii out in style.
"Isn't Karl like Mexican or something"

Offline Glad0s

• View Profile
    • Reagan's Music Reviews
« Reply #493 on: September 24, 2012, 10:36:57 AM »
Also, Xenocide, they already did World Ends with You two years ago.

Offline TheXenocide

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: September 24, 2012, 06:21:39 PM »
I figured they might have done one of those. I've only been listening for a couple of months and haven't made it that far into the back log.

Offline Glad0s

• View Profile
    • Reagan's Music Reviews
« Reply #495 on: September 25, 2012, 10:02:30 PM »
If you like the podcast, I'd suggest dipping into the backlog. Any RFN fan without a heaping helping of Leahy is a sad RFN fan indeed.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: September 25, 2012, 11:48:55 PM »
Resident Evil 4.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Glad0s

• View Profile
    • Reagan's Music Reviews
« Reply #497 on: September 26, 2012, 08:47:10 AM »

Offline regin

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: November 25, 2012, 05:39:32 PM »
If they ever bring Dreamcast games to the WiiU we have to do Shenmue. I can't think of a more perfect game for something like this.

Offline shinyray01

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: December 04, 2012, 11:55:33 PM »
I would like nominate 1080o Avalanche for the Gamecube.