Author Topic: Out of Options  (Read 5939 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Out of Options
« on: July 28, 2010, 10:28:30 PM »

Play 'n' Trade, the only other game in town, is inducted onto my blacklist.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/blog/23786

Here in Anchorage, Alaska, I don’t have a whole lot of options when it comes to used games. Oh sure, there are three Gamestops here and another one in Wasilla (Palinville), but I hate Gamestop. I won’t shop there, for reasons I won’t go into here. Suffice to say, I’ve had too many bad experiences there, and I’ve heard too many horror stories, and I don’t appreciate their corporate culture of screwing the customer. I actively avoid their bullshit. I have no store credit there. A few years ago, there was an awesome local joint called Microplay that competed with Gamestop. It was one of those hole-in-the-wall places that never had a whole lot of product, but they gave you a good amount of credit for your trade-in, and the people there were very friendly and helpful. If they didn’t have a game you wanted, they would order it for you.

This is not to say I didn’t get my share of shaftings there. Indeed, in particular, they screwed me over when Guitar Hero, God of War 2, and the Wii came out. In these cases, they either didn’t get enough units, or their shipment was unbelievably late. But I stuck by those guys. They were local, they were honest, they were always apologetic, and I could always get a new game on credit there as long as I was willing to wait.

But all good things come to an end, and about two years ago (maybe less), Microplay shut down for reasons I’m not entirely clear on. Their lease ran out, but they didn’t renew. At about the same time, a new chain used-game store opened up nearby: Play ‘n’ Trade. While not nearly as large and domineering as Gamestop, Play ‘n’ Trade is apparently a widespread gaming outlet. Their big selling point is that they let you play any game you want before you buy. If I had any doubts about Dragon Quest IX, they’d pop that sucker in a DS and I could just sit and play it for however long. That’s pretty awesome. They also had cool gaming tournaments for heavy hitters like Smash Bros. Melee and Street Fighter IV.

Unfortunately, as time dragged on, the tournaments were dropped, they sponsored a Ludacris concert (whaaaa?), and the bullshit started. They almost never had good stocks of new games, and most used “new” games carried price tags almost as heavy as brand-new copies. This is the kind of laughable price gouging that I routinely see at Gamestop, and one of the reasons I don’t shop there. I’d call to ask if they have a game, be told that they do, and then get there and hear “oh, it turns out the computer was wrong, we don’t have it.” But the last straw happened yesterday, when I attempted to secure a copy of Dragon Quest IX.

First, as per usual, I was told they had a copy when they actually didn’t. More disturbingly, I discovered that they don’t restock new games after the initial (very small) shipment—they just wait for used copies to start coming in. The mind boggles. Obviously begging for more punishment, I foolishly asked if they had any copies of MGS: Peace Walker, and was told they didn’t, and that they “don’t really get PSP games.” In a daze, I wandered over to the PS3 shelf and saw a used copy of Transformers: War for Cybertron for $54.99. I had experienced Awful Customer Service Overload! I walked out of the store and swore never to return. Play ‘n’ Trade lost a customer yesterday…although I do have to go back and use up my store credit on something, maybe some N64 games.

So what’s a gamer to do? I’m not going to Gamestop. I won’t do it. When my otherwise perfect-condition GBA SP began having battery charge issues (needed recharging after every other play session), those cheapskates tried to give me $15 for it, having no way of knowing that particular problem. They also tried to sell me a used copy of Metroid Prime 2 without a box or instruction manual for $25. This is just top-tier bullshit, and I’m shocked every day that gamers don’t wise up and boycott that pit of despair. But now I can’t go to Play ‘n’ Trade, because they’re largely guilty of the same sins. Where am I going to deposit the games I don’t want anymore? Is store credit a thing of the past? What the heck am I going to do when Homie Rollerz 2 inevitably shows up at my door? Burn it?

Oh, there are plenty of retail options around town. DQ IX is readily available at Fred Meyer, Target, Best Buy, Toys 'R' Us, and Wal-Mart. It costs $35 no matter where you go, so it’s not like one is any better than the other. I can’t use store credit at any of those places, though. I can already hear you screaming, “The internet, you idiot!” but let me clarify something: I live in Anchorage, Alaska. When a website says I’ll get my package in “6-8 business days,” I point and laugh. Even getting packages from Canada, which is next door, takes an ungodly amount of time. Also, shipping rates to my state are ridiculously high. If I want my package within three to five business days, the shipping cost will almost always be close to or higher than the cost of the product itself. All those online stores that offer free shipping? You’ll notice an asterisk. That asterisk explains, in small print, that free shipping is not offered for Hawaii or Alaska. So if I’m fixin’ to get my game on, the internet is rarely a reasonable alternative.

Reviled by Gamestop, mourning the loss of Microplay, and betrayed by Play ‘n’ Trade, I am forced to take my used gaming business elsewhere. But where? Do you readers out there in Readerland have any suggestions? Are there online stores with “in-store credit?” Do any of you have similar stories of local used-game chains being gobbled up by national chain competition? What are your other options?

This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
Re: Out of Options
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 01:05:45 AM »
Tried Amazon? Shipping the games to them is free & the credit can be used on whatever, not just games.

I still keep going to Gamestop just for the convenience. The one I frequent is in the same shopping center as a few other places I regularly go to including my bank & its ATM machine.   
Mission...complete?

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 01:17:30 AM »
Amazon's Super Saver Free Shipping does apply to all 50 states, however there are certain items that it doesn't apply to in Alaska and Hawaii such as tools and hardware.

Quote from: Amazon

Applies to U.S. delivery addresses in the 50 states only, including Alaska and Hawaii. Geographic shipping restrictions may apply to particular products; for example, some Tools & Hardware items may not be shipped to Alaska and Hawaii using FREE Super Saver Shipping.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Azagthoth

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 01:41:14 AM »
I feel your pain. My local Play n' Trade  doesn't even try to compete with Gamestop. It seems their biggest selling point is "Hey, we aren't Gamestop!" Which usually works for me, but has slowly lost its charm.

I use Gamestop for used and accessories, but buy new from the big box stores. Being a gamer in a family full of non-gamers means that I get a ton of gift cards, but they are usually for Gamestop.
Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

- George Bernard Shaw

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 02:35:20 AM »
I don't even bother with used sales except for heavily discounted old games.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 04:56:15 AM »
Amazon has a new service where you can sell your old games to them and receive credit for them. Also, if you don't like the wait times on their free shipping consider signing up for Amazon prime. It's a small annual fee and you get unlimited 2-day shipping with it.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Patchkid15

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 11:41:58 AM »
I share a similar story where Gamecrazy was the chain that shut down in my town. With no other options i travel to Gamestop where customer service is actually great. However, I still have not become a member there so i am missing out on all the freebies.

As for Microplay, one of those exists here, but I will never shop there. In my experience there everything is 5 dollars overpriced. All new Wii games are 55 dollars, Nintendo Point Cards are 25 dollars, everything in general is overpriced. 

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 11:59:36 AM »
I generally have no troubles with GameStop. So they might have a "corporate culture of screwing the customer," but there are also very easy ways to game the system, and on occasion, they offer good deals and sales. For example, you can return any used game within seven days no questions asked. This is how I've done several of the Extra Life articles (I swear there are more coming, btw. You can blame Zach for the latest delay :P).

Zach, my advice to you is go to a GameStop, buy War for Cybertron, play it for a week, and return it. That way you spend no money, and you can still play the game you want to play.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 12:57:46 PM »
Nice blog post, Zach. I feel for ya, man.

Play 'n' Trade just opened a brand new store about seven minutes from where I live, and I actually walked in there for the first time two days ago. I had no idea they were a chain. What really convinced me to check it out was the inclusion of "Retro Games" on their advertising. In this regard, I was somewhat impressed. They had some cool stuff, albeit not too much. I mostly peruse these game stores for older games, and tend to buy new games from Amazon or big box stores.

However, I have also been blessed with a nearby independent game store called Willow Video. They have tonnes of cheap used games and their new games are on par with the prices at big box stores. Whenever possible, I always try to give them my business first. It reminds me of two comic shops I once visited when I was young -- one a chain store, and the other independent. One was selling a reprint of the very first issue of TMNT for $25, and the other for $4. I bought my $4 issue of TMNT and still spent well over $25 on other amazing deals, all at the independent shop. That being said, if there are any idependent game stores in your area, definitely check them out.

However, I also like Neal's idea of gaming GameStop's system.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 01:15:01 PM »
I have a friend that sells all of his stuff on ebay, or kijiji (Canadian Classifieds).

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 05:27:24 PM »
It's a small annual fee and you get unlimited 2-day shipping with it.

Small? It's $79 a year, it's not worth it unless you buy a lot of games and absolutely want two-day shipping. According to Amazon, two day shipping for video games is $10.99 plus $1.99 for every item. Standard shipping (3-5 days) cuts that down to $3.99 plus $0.99, and orders of $25 or more have free shipping. Since I think Hal would probably get orders of $25 or more, I would suggest sticking with Amazon's free free shipping, not the $79 per year "free" shipping.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 06:40:18 AM »
LOL, I miss-remembered it. I thought it was a lot cheaper than that. Never mind.  :P:
My Game Collection

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 10:24:55 AM »
Believe me, I would get Prime too if it was like $20 a year or less. I don't mind waiting for free shipping because it only takes about 4 days for me.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 02:56:08 PM »
There's an Amazon shipping center right here in my town. Aside from my more obscure orders, my stuff comes in pretty fast as is so Prime would be a waste.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Amazon buys back DVDs & old text books(says text books but I've seen listings for comic book graphic novels as well) too. More stuff turned into potential game funds.
Mission...complete?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 03:10:26 PM »
The funny thing about Amazon Prime is that they're trying to sell it in Germany, too. Our postal system delivers overnight to any location in the country so all those expensive express options do very little to your shipping time.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 10:19:24 PM »
Physical game stores are a thing of the past for me. EB Games used to be good, at least the ones around here, but ever since the GameStop merger took place, they haven't been worthwhile. Not to mention that most locations have stopped carrying everything except current systems, and the few that do have something older, it's usually just PS2 and GBA stuff.

Maybe I'm lucky, but I've never had issues with Amazon or eBay. With eBay it's all just about finding reputable sellers; it can sometimes be a bit time-consuming but I've definitely been able to find what I want for at least decent prices. And don't count out Amazon for used games, because I've seen some pretty good prices hidden away on the site. I don't think very many people buy used stuff on there, so it results in relatively low prices. And yeah, Amazon's free shipping almost always takes 5 days for me, so it isn't a bad service at all.

Offline Cyrian

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 12:27:19 PM »
I love estarland.com.  Their used prices can be a bit higher than other places sometimes, but the games are always in fantastic condition, sometimes even re-shrinkwrapped, and they tell you if it's complete or not (and are priced accordingly).  And they have free shipping on used orders over $30, and I don't see any fine print that says no Alaska.
They also do trade-ins for store credit, and even let you use the credit before you've sent them the game.  I've never done this though so I can't say if there are ever any problems. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 12:29:01 PM by Cyrian »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 03:55:41 AM »
play n trade usually has decent Schwag
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2010, 07:35:56 PM »
Zach, you'd appreciate this. I was just talking to my brother and he has this gem of a GameStop story to tell.

So my brother's 30 years old, married, has a two-year-old, and he mainly plays sports games. He went to go trade in some games to get the new MLB The Show (most likely to drown out the sorrows of the Yankees losing). After telling the clerk he wanted to trade-in the games, he was told about their new rewards program. He signed up for the free one, and after the clerk struggled to type in his information, he asked him what he wanted to do with the games. "Trade them in and get a new game."

The clerk said he probably wouldn't get more than a dollar because they're sports games. My brother got about $25 for four games, way more than a dollar. Then the clerk asked him what he wanted to do with it. For the third time, my brother expressed his interest in getting a new game. So he went and picked up The Show and also grabbed NHL 10 used.

Bringing the games to the counter, the clerk then said (this is verbatim according to my bro) "Maybe you shouldn't buy sports games. They're lame," and then proceeded to explain to him how awesome and amazing Metal Gear Solid 4 is. Floored by the comment, he just said something like "well, it's what I'm interested in and have time for because I'm married, work two jobs, and have a two-year-old daughter."

Then the clerk took about 10 more minutes to complete the transaction, which included trying to sell him a new copy of NHL 10 and not being able to find MLB The Show.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2010, 07:48:04 PM »
Wow. Just...wow.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2010, 04:27:25 AM »
Epic fail there.
My Game Collection

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2010, 11:52:27 AM »
Look what the evil that is Gamestop compells people to do:

http://www.sacbee.com/2010/10/21/3121945/roseville-galleria-suspect-in.html
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.