Author Topic: Nintendo WiFi Connection  (Read 2397 times)

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Nintendo WiFi Connection
« on: December 07, 2005, 01:57:47 PM »
Nintendo WiFi Connection is a new series for the Nintendo DS.  Since November of 2005 there have already been three entries in the series.  These games appear as minigames in some of Nintendo's flagship titles such as Mario Kart DS and Animal Crossing: Wild World, but Nintendo has also lent out its franchise to thrid parties to put in their games so they can collect on a few meaningless sales.  Franchise whoring?  I think so.  This is a review of the version of NWC found in the recent joke of a game, Mario Kart DS.

First of all, it's ridiculous that Nintendo is forcing users to buy extra hardware in order to unlock these games.  When I buy a game, I want to be able to enjoy the whole thing from the start.  This is only a ploy to make more money, and Nitnendo needs to be told that consumers will NOT buy extra hardware in order to enjoy a game.

Then, on top of that, they make this game ridiculously easy to get into!  The learning curve is zero minutes.  If Nintendo wants to shake their tiku tiku tiku!  image, they need to start making difficult games again.  I remember being challeneged by Nintendo's games on the SNES, but this?  No wonder only babies buy Nintendo hardware!

But once you do get into it, some of the later levels become horrendously hard.  Not because the stages themselves are harder, but because they employ cheap tricks to make the gameplay longer.  You can't select which users you want to play with, the computer does that for you, which is fine in the easier "Worldwide" or "Regional" levels, but once you get to the "Friends" modethese flaws only exagerates the dated gameplay.  Often times the game will match you and your friends in odd combinations that don't follow any sort of logic, and it's easy for an unwanted friend to log on and screw up your plans.  Often there are invisible minibosses called "errors" that come outta nowhere to ruin your fun.  You can't predict when they're coming, who they'll attack, and once they do you can't do anything about it.  All of these things come together to form a very frustrating gameplay structure that leaves me scratching my head.

Graphics: 2/10
No 3D, what is this 1978?  Nitnendo needs to grow up.

Sound: 4/10
Catchy tune, but no customizable track list.

Control: 5/10
I have to decide between touch-screen controls or the D-Pad.  Make up your mind Nintendo.

Gameplay: 1/10
Cheap and frustrating tactics are used only yo make the game longer, errors are very common and the player is totally helpless against them.  The CPU controlled friends selection leads to baffling results.

Lastability: 10/10
You'll never beat it becuase you'll throw it in the garbage before you're done.

Final Score (not an average): 10/10
Very fun!
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Nintendo WiFi Connection
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 01:20:35 PM »
Nintendo is doomed, that's all I have to say.  If I ran Nintendo I'd make sure they didn't use such sparkling innovationy methods and just stick to the same old traditional means that we're already used to...It's obviously clear that Nintendo doesn't care about us online hardcore crowd and instead is going after the non-gaming community...I shouldn't be having to compete for attention with non-gamers over Nintendo and this is why they are doomed...Silicon Knights left Nintendo because of this sparkling innovationy online setup and because all they do is make such simple, short online games...Did I mention that Nintendo is doomed?  Whinge whinge whinge
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Nintendo WiFi Connection
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 10:02:23 PM »
If there ever was a sparkling innovation, it would be the Nintendo WiFi Connection. First, its name... What sort of name is that - it's the most tiku tiku tiku!  name I've ever heard. Now if you want real mature online gaming buy an Xbox and hook up to Xbox Live - JUMP IN to my post is a train wreck bandwagon! It's bad enough that the name is awful, what about the games? Or, should I say, those damn I LOVE HALO 2 I am a tremendous clownboat.s. I'm going to start a comic book, and FREE KEVIN's signature will be the first one there. Yeah, a defenestration will really help. Let's buy all Nintendo products!

Good games on teh WFC? Never Happening!

EDIT: I am a tremendous clownboat.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Nintendo WiFi Connection
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 08:58:12 PM »
At first I thought he was serious in his review but then I thought he was joking, KNows Nothing, man you were trying to be funny right? cuz if not sorry for laughing at your post. Ok really um nevermind its way to late im jusy typing to stay awake
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Nintendo WiFi Connection
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 07:30:41 AM »
Everyone needs a serving of sarcasm a day for a healthy mind and body!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~