Author Topic: Rock Band Wii DLC to be Distributed on Discs  (Read 18456 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Rock Band Wii DLC to be Distributed on Discs
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2008, 06:08:58 PM »
You're just mad because my bear is scarier than yours.

People are going to ignore you again because of yet another creepy avatar.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2008, 06:56:15 PM »
THIS POST HAS BEEN CENSORED FOR YOUR PROTECTION.

--Bureau of Internet Morality
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 03:40:36 PM by Morari »
"This post has been censored for your protection."

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2008, 07:06:04 PM »
Rock Band does the music game genre right by offering downloadable content instead of endless sequels and expansion packs.

Do you honestly believe there won't be a Rock Band 2, 3, etc?  You're living in a fantasy.

EA (and any other company in its right mind) will continue to release full sequels as long as it's profitable to do so.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2008, 07:09:37 PM »

Not to a Coulrophobic salmon.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2008, 07:44:10 PM »
Unless this perceived Guitar Hero IV offers something so utterly and mind-blowingly unique that it justifies the release of an entirely new game (which is unlikely given the nature of the genre itself), I really see little reason not to just add more songs to the current title.

Guitar Hero IV is basically going to be Rock Band see here.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2008, 08:20:16 PM »
And I truly, strongly feel that the simulated band experience is instantly cut down to almost nothing if you're forced to play as hideous, pre-made characters.

I don't know... I guess I just view Rock Band as basically glorified karaoke... and we all know what HORRIBLE karaoke videos play along with the songs. I'm used to completely ignoring everything on the TV screen when playing/singing except for the stuff that matters. I don't identify with the visuals at all.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2008, 08:30:13 PM »
THIS POST HAS BEEN CENSORED FOR YOUR PROTECTION.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 03:39:51 PM by Morari »

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2008, 10:36:11 PM »
partying bears aren't meant to be scary, jerk!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline planetidiot

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2008, 09:39:34 AM »
I'm glad they are at least they are doing something, which is more than you can say for Activision.  I won't be buying it due to all the reasons mentioned though.

Activision's game was released day and date with other versions, has online play, isn't needlessly overpriced, and the Wii version actually has the best controller.  The lack of DLC is far more understandable given when GH3 was released; it makes no sense for Rock Band, which is coming out after WiiWare and the announcement of Pay to Play.

This isn't DLC, this is from what I can tell a "not-exactly-a-sequel" with new songs and identical game play.  I don't see why GH3 doesn't do this, and while they're at it, release GH1 and 2 for the Wii.  As you say, Guitar Hero 3 is the better choice on Wii.  But if guitar games are your thing, you're better off with an Xbox 360 for the sole fact that you can buy both games and get 2 interchangeable controllers out of the deal.  Why Sony and Nintendo didn't force them to be compatible is a consumer hurting mystery.

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2008, 10:00:39 AM »

People are going to ignore you again because of yet another creepy avatar.

Is it creepy or is it the best avvie ever?
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2008, 10:13:01 PM »
This isn't DLC, this is from what I can tell a "not-exactly-a-sequel" with new songs and identical game play.  I don't see why GH3 doesn't do this,...

Isn't that what Guitar Hero Aerosmith is?
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2008, 12:19:51 PM »
Not to mention Guitar Hero Rocks the 80s.  I bought that when it came out, and it didn't feel like it was worth it somehow.  I can't really explain why, but it's one of the reasons I think downloadable content is more effective at fulfilling the desire for more than releases like this.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2008, 03:05:56 PM »
THIS POST HAS BEEN CENSORED FOR YOUR PROTECTION

« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 03:37:25 PM by Morari »

Offline darknight06

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2008, 07:49:30 PM »
No DLC on the Wii version actually makes sense for the same reason as no DLC on the PS2 version and it's not because of lack of storage.  Unlike the 360/PS3 versions what goes on in the backgrounds during songs isn't realtime, it's FMV.  Every song in the game has it's own FMV which in and of itself shot the game disc size way farther up than it would've been otherwise.  Guitar Hero 3 Wii isn't dual layer, Rock Band Wii will be which approximately the same number of songs at launch.  If the DLC was just the song with the model animation data like it is elsewhere that would be one thing, but with this and the PS2 one it would be the song, AND it's video which depending on the quality of the footage could range from anywhere between 50 and 70MB just for one song.  That's just not gonna happen, especially on Wii.

So now instead of downloading it, we're getting the DLC in DVD form.  Meaning we are STILL getting the songs, except you may have to disc swap.  So WHAT'S the problem again?  *rolls eyes*

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2008, 02:19:42 AM »
THIS POST HAS BEEN CENSORED FOR YOUR PROTECTION

« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 03:36:18 PM by Morari »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2008, 02:30:04 AM »
The problem, outside of swapping discs, is that if you want a few extra songs you have to also suffer through the rest that are included. As for your theory, there is absolutely no reason that the Wii shouldn't be in real time. That is simply EA being lazy and throwing out a direct copy of the severely gimped PS2 port. Is the PS3 really doing so poorly that people have to put out PS2 versions as well? I don't see any new Xbox/GameCube games out and about.

Technically you wouldn't have to suffer through the rest of them, just pay for them.

No DLC on the Wii version actually makes sense for the same reason as no DLC on the PS2 version and it's not because of lack of storage.  Unlike the 360/PS3 versions what goes on in the backgrounds during songs isn't realtime, it's FMV.  Every song in the game has it's own FMV which in and of itself shot the game disc size way farther up than it would've been otherwise.  Guitar Hero 3 Wii isn't dual layer, Rock Band Wii will be which approximately the same number of songs at launch.  If the DLC was just the song with the model animation data like it is elsewhere that would be one thing, but with this and the PS2 one it would be the song, AND it's video which depending on the quality of the footage could range from anywhere between 50 and 70MB just for one song.  That's just not gonna happen, especially on Wii.

So now instead of downloading it, we're getting the DLC in DVD form.  Meaning we are STILL getting the songs, except you may have to disc swap.  So WHAT'S the problem again?  *rolls eyes*

I never thought of that. Since Guitar Hero has noticeably worse graphics than the 360/PS3 versions I'm guessing that means it uses real time graphics and GH4 on the Wii could have real DLC, right?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 02:33:46 AM by insanolord »
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent