Author Topic: Analyst: Wii Shortage to End Soon  (Read 5081 times)

Offline Les Thomas

• NWR Staff News Writer
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Analyst: Wii Shortage to End Soon
« on: April 01, 2008, 07:52:36 PM »
The weak U.S. dollar may have been the culprit of the Wii shortage.
 http://nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=15677

Game industry analyst Michael Pachter of Wedbush Morgan believes the shortage of Wii systems in the United States should soon be a thing of the past.    

Speaking to the Dallas Morning News, Pachter said he believes the Wii shortage was caused by the weak U.S. dollar.  By selling excess product in European countries with a strong Euro, Nintendo makes more profit when the money is exchanged to their native Yen.    

Nintendo has stressed their desire to have a global community with the Wii.  However,  Pachter  said diverting product for profit is definitely what happened.  The good news for Americans, he declared, is that demand in Europe is dwindling and Wii shortages in the United States will soon be a thing of the past.    

Nintendo's response to Wii shortages has been cryptic and usually blamed on production,  but diverting Wii systems to Europe might also explain the company's ambivalence to addressing the issue.    

The Dallas Morning News' Victor Godinez, who spoke with Pachter, summed up his thoughts on the matter. "No one wants to hear that they're second-class customers, but that's exactly what we American gamers are right now," he said.

Les Thomas, Staff News Writer, Nintendo World Report

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: Analyst: Wii Shortage to End Soon
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 03:11:50 AM »
Ah, good 'ol Pachter. Always pleasure for me to see him on Bonus Round.

Anyway, whatever the cause and reason, here's to hoping the prediction comes true. I've yet to get my Wii :(

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 03:18:06 AM »
Well, it was good run. About 23 million and that's all she wrote. Sadly 360 and PS3 will only hit about the same amount. Video Game market crash CONFIRMED.

I am analyst too!

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 03:21:17 AM »
If we do enter a depression/recession, I hope the video game market doesn't crash...
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 03:42:54 AM »
The Dallas Morning News' Victor Godinez, who spoke with Patcher, summed up his thoughts on the matter. "No one wants to hear that they're second-class customers, but that's exactly what we American gamers are right now," he said. <P>

This just in: the world does not revolve around America. News at 11.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 04:38:28 AM »
I don't think the falling dollar did that much, the Euro has been worth more for a pretty long time now and Europe has paid more for games this whole time. NoE is still treating us like crap.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 04:57:38 AM »
As much as KDR and i bash NOE it's still true.

$140 for Wii Fit is a favourite of mine. The lower prices in the states probably balance the books against the far higher ones in europe and oz.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 08:41:37 AM »
Here is New Zealand the retailers must be making an absolute killing. At the rate things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if the NZD did reach parity with the USD eventually. We are only 20 cents short now. Buying games online is a must since you can get a lot of stuff for less than half retail.

My DS is so well fed right now.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 10:11:40 AM »
Speaking to the Dallas Morning News, Pachter said he believes the Wii shortage was caused by the weak U.S. dollar.  By selling excess product in European countries with a strong Euro, Nintendo makes more profit when the money is exchanged to their native Yen.

I seem to recall reading that Nintendo keeps all its monies in U.S. Dollars, so the Euro/Yen exchange rate shouldn't be an issue.  The Euro/Dollar exchange rate might be, I suppose.

I don't know where to look for confirmation on what I just wrote.  Does anyone know for sure?

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 10:39:49 AM »
Speaking to the Dallas Morning News, Pachter said he believes the Wii shortage was caused by the weak U.S. dollar.  By selling excess product in European countries with a strong Euro, Nintendo makes more profit when the money is exchanged to their native Yen.

I seem to recall reading that Nintendo keeps all its monies in U.S. Dollars, so the Euro/Yen exchange rate shouldn't be an issue.  The Euro/Dollar exchange rate might be, I suppose.

I don't know where to look for confirmation on what I just wrote.  Does anyone know for sure?

I read that in their stock report, they blame the exchange between US and Yen for their stock prices going down.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 10:49:04 AM »
The lower prices in the states probably balance the books against the far higher ones in europe and oz.

As a US gamer, I'd like to thank European gamers for this. :)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 11:18:05 AM »
I don't think the falling dollar did that much, the Euro has been worth more for a pretty long time now and Europe has paid more for games this whole time. NoE is still treating us like crap.

You maybe right, I guess it matters how much it takes NoA to care.

^ Dollar to Euro, last five years.

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 12:11:14 PM »
But if the Wii shortage ends then I won't be able to impress anyone by owning one.  It is seriously a status symbol.  It's the first time in my life where mentioning that I own a videogame system gets people more interested in talking to me. ;)

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 12:40:48 PM »
But if the Wii shortage ends then I won't be able to impress anyone by owning one.  It is seriously a status symbol.  It's the first time in my life where mentioning that I own a videogame system gets people more interested in talking to me. ;)

LOL Too true. I get the wide eyes when I tell my launch story haha.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 04:23:50 PM »
I only get a reaction for a little bit.  Then people forget I have a Wii and get the reaction all over again.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 04:45:55 PM »
I'll believe the end of the Wii shortage when I see it. Analysts have been making false predictions about the Wii for over a year now.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 04:49:27 PM »
I'll believe the end of the Wii shortage when I see it. Analysts have been making false predictions about the Wii for over a year now.

I of course agree. But analysts suck anyway. haha

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 09:41:08 PM »
People are STILL listening to Sideshow Patcher?  Wheres the announcement for the HD Wii?  It's about time for it ain't it?  WoW isn't going to stay big?  Could've fooled me...

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 10:58:22 PM »
I don't have a very interesting launch day story. I went to K-Mart and bought mine when they opened up. Turns out I was the only person smart enough to goto K-Mart cuz nobody else in Twin Falls shopped there, they all waited in line for days over at all the big stores and I just walked in, grabbed my Wii and went home.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2008, 11:45:44 AM »
I just noticed the HUGE pile of Wii one store here has. Like two pallettes full. The XBox and PS3 piles were much smaller. Well, I presume since I didn't even see the PS3 pile.