Author Topic: GameCube oversells PS2 in the UK  (Read 8175 times)

Offline willys85

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
GameCube oversells PS2 in the UK
« on: March 25, 2003, 02:42:05 PM »
Ah miracle happened in the lands of europe, in the UK to be specific, the GameCube (yes, the console with the most lower sales in that country in the last year) oversells the PS2(the #1 console in sales) and of course the Xbox ( The PConsole that weights more than my pc) i don't have very clear what are the numbers of sales i thinnk they are 14.000 in the last week, but i know that the GameCube sales rises a 60% there and the other consoles have a fall of a 10%-15%(GBA, PS2, Xbox) here a the suppously reasons:
1) Metroid Prime
2) the offer of a Gamecube plus a game and a memmory card for 79.98 sterline money(i don't know how to put the icon)
3)It's a GameCube
So Your God fell in Love with the War, Well He is Only Your God

Offline MrShag

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2003, 02:44:28 PM »
The price being the major factor that is...
My life exposed, my passions exploded, my site : The Crash Site.

Offline Taco

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2003, 05:56:10 PM »
Link??

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2003, 06:02:12 PM »
Godd news to all in the UK then.
Hopefully Metroid Prime and Zelda can pull up sales here in Australia too.
I long for the day where Gamecube beats PS2 and/or Xbox in something.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Wrx_Boi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2003, 06:42:41 PM »

Offline Linksiulung

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2003, 06:45:48 PM »
well anytime Gamecube wins is w00t
Smart people make smart mistakes, dumb people make dumb mistakes...

X gon' give ya an apple salad

Offline Gamer1982

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2003, 10:54:12 PM »
According to http://www.mcvuk.com/, Metriod Prime has become only the second game to hold the number one spot for the gamecube...good work, good game.

Offline Hybrid Hunter

• First title that's onrine
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2003, 12:50:06 AM »
Hopefully it can keep the sales going!

Offline Nintendork SP

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2003, 04:52:07 AM »
Where, Where!? I MUST get his autograph!!!!!!!!!!111!11!!!
Going to war without France is like going fishing without an accordion.
-----------------------------------------------------
When I was I child I caught a fleeting glimpse.

Offline cmoney

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2003, 05:50:28 AM »
Did ANYONE go to that link? I'm confused....

Offline Gamer1982

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2003, 06:29:54 AM »

Offline SmellySocks

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2003, 07:05:21 AM »
You can find this news on many many many websites.  Not too hard to find.
What's that smell?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2003, 08:32:41 AM »
According to Computer and Videogames the reason the Gamecube sold so well last week was likely because of stores slashing the price to clear them out.  That isn't exactly something to cheer about.  Still good Metroid Prime sales is good since Nintendo makes most of their money off of software.

I imagine this won't last long.  The stores that slashed prices will likely either keep the prices low and clear out their stock or they'll decide it is profitable and raise the price back up which will kill some of the appeal.  Either way the "buzz" will die down.  Stores can't sell cheap Cubes forever.

Offline AERO

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2003, 11:55:49 AM »

and of course the Xbox

Umm, thats a feat for GC in the UK. Not to be taking so lightly. Don't you follow that stuff?  

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2003, 11:59:47 AM »
"According to Computer and Videogames the reason the Gamecube sold so well last week was likely because of stores slashing the price to clear them out. That isn't exactly something to cheer about."

It hasn't stopped Microsoft from doing it on a monthly basis.

"I imagine this won't last long. The stores that slashed prices will likely either keep the prices low and clear out their stock or they'll decide it is profitable and raise the price back up which will kill some of the appeal. Either way the "buzz" will die down. Stores can't sell cheap Cubes forever."

Or Nintendo will realize that they need an official European price drop if they want to compete with companies like Microsoft.

The XBox and the GameCube were 480 Euros (£300) and 250 Euros (£155) respectively at the XBox's launch, weeks before the GameCube's launch.

Then, just days before the GameCube launched, Microsoft slashed a massive 180 Euros off the price of the XBox, making it 300 Euros (£199).

Nintendo responded with a 50 Euro GameCube price cut, and launched at 200 Euros (£129). At launch, the GameCube immediately took over the number 2 spot in Europe, and a lot of people were saying Microsoft was going to have a repeat of their Japanese performance in Europe.

Then Microsoft launched their "two free Sega games" thing in Europe. XBox sales picked up. Microsoft started claiming they had retaken the number 2 spot in Europe.

Nintendo started mucking around with the idea of "bundles" to give you a discount on a game if you buy the system, and maybe one free game, while Microsoft added another two games to their free game giveaway.

Before last Christmas the XBox dropped another 50 Euros, to 250 Euros (£159). For some unknown reason, they has a strong Christmas after that. Now Microsoft started claiming that their European lead was so great that, combined with their American lead, it outweighed their Japanese failure.

Then Dixons decided to sell their GameCubes for £100 (150 Euros), since it wasn't moving much at 200 Euros (£129), and said that they'd stop carrying the GameCube if this didn't generate more sales (which it's been doing).

Then Argos decided that they they'd be left out in the cold if they were still hanging on to the MSRP, so they broke it, and decided to go one further and undercut Dixons with an £80 (120 Euro) price.

(By the way, for a frame of reference, a Euro is worth about as much as an American dollar, and last I checked, a GameCube with Metroid Prime was selling for $150 American over here)

IMO, Nintendo of Europe needs to lower the MSRP to get things back under control. If they had followed Dixon's lead and cut the MSRP by 50 Euro, they wouldn't be having to deal with an 80 Euro price cut from Argos.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2003, 12:58:39 PM »
I believe they've started doing the bundles. . . very good deal, it seems, and that may be the reason it's working.  Microsoft is taking more pain from all that free crap than Nintendo is with their lower sales (which seems to have changed).
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2003, 05:37:39 PM »

Godd news to all in the UK then.
Hopefully Metroid Prime and Zelda can pull up sales here in Australia too.
I long for the day where Gamecube beats PS2 and/or Xbox in something.

Well the GC has beaten xbox in many things in Australia. Xbox has never had a number one game in the all consoles chart, or a number two for that matter. GC has had 3 number one's, SSBM, Resident Evil and Super Mario Sunshine (for three weeks). The Cube also had a MUCH more successful launch that the xbox, with record pre-orders and 6 games in the top ten. Anyway, good news for Europe, good to see Metroid Prime as the number one game, and Luigis Mansion and Super Mario Sunshine back in the top 40. SMB2 selling stronger than i expected too.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2003, 01:10:24 AM »
Haha, Mario: Coolest sig evah!
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Gamebasher

• Flaming the competition...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2003, 09:04:57 AM »
I think it is crucial that Nintendo keep the good deals on GameCube hardware and games rolling, so more people get to experience the Nintendo difference...

Keep it up Nintendo! No need to advertise something to death like empty-barrels-who-always-make-more-noise competitors.

Just get that GameCube out to people through the best offers so people get to PLAY your games and the rest will happen automatically!

Damn right!!!

Gamebasher.
Nintendo is the originator of videogame innovation! The Great Mover of the Industry. Past, present and future. Rightfully, the King of Videogaming!

Offline Modulus-X

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2003, 03:11:57 PM »
I can't keep track of all this stuff.  If there was a chain that cut the prices of the Cubes in America, I think there would be a pretty big uproar from Nintendo and the competing stores.
-=[Modulus-X]=-

Currently Playing: Zelda: The Wind Waker, WarCraft 3 Expansion Beta, Star Wars Galaxies Beta

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2003, 02:53:10 AM »
Here's some news.

The XBox is now €199.99 (£129.99) in Europe.

That's the same price as the GameCube's official one. Which is still the same price that the GameCube launched at.

Like we didn't see this one coming. I guess Microsoft couldn't handle the GameCube sales generated by the unofficial price cuts. Being "#2" means a lot to them.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Fammy2000

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2003, 04:18:18 AM »
Actually, being #1 is all that matters to Microsoft.
My sig beat up your honor roll sig.

Offline Darc Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2003, 05:19:07 AM »
LOL This was clearly prompted by the increased Gamecube sales. The MS guy could come up with a reason why the X-box is suddenly reduced in price and cheaper than the PS2!? MS is clearly scared that the increase GC sales were going to be come a trend and not a just a flash in the pan. On a serious note, can you imagine how much MS will be losing on each X-box sold at the lower price.....jeez they most be bleeding billions of dollars between the amount they are eating on each unit and the cost of X-box Live.

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2003, 05:25:07 AM »
The reason the sales have improved is the fact that the good games are finally reaching Europe, not the price cuts.

Offline BadBreathBear

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2003, 07:01:16 AM »
Yeah, but what happens when Perfect Dark comes out?