Author Topic: DS Lite Contest Winner  (Read 9944 times)

Offline Artimus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: DS Lite Contest Winner
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2006, 08:23:36 PM »
I don't have an issue as it's a subjective contest, but I kind of rolled my eyes when I was expected to believe that a 'chick magnet' is a really clever thing. Let's all titter at the playboys while we're at it.

Offline Grimgoil

• View Profile
RE:DS Lite Contest Winner
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2006, 08:46:07 PM »
i'm not that fond of the winning entry..it's just uninspired nor original or funny but has some sleek writing.
zhens' is quite better showcasing some more creative thought into it.

here is mine: which i still think is the  winner ;P

Use DS as trap- at night you turn on the DS with great bright light  and put it on the ground, then you take the stylus and put through the wrist-strap. Now start folding the screen down a bit and stand the stylus in-between until the stylus stops them from closing and TaDa! You have a pro's trapping device. Now all you need is to do is  wait for some small animal to go in for a suntan, or a big animal to use it's tail to clean the screens from the dust and WHAM pull wrist-strap! Your prime hunter!

preorderd my ds lie right after i found out i didint win, so as long as i get my hands on a dslite i dont mind.  

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2006, 09:27:15 PM »
I refuse to jump onto the hate-the-winning-entry bandwagon. I enjoyed the winner's entry, and the runners up. And also all the ones that have been posted on the forum. So there.

...My personal favorite, though, is probably Uncle Bob's.

At this point, I'd post my own entry...if I had sent one in. I had an idea for using it as a torture/interrogation device. Decided against it, though.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Terranigma Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2006, 08:22:21 AM »
There's no bandwagon here to jump on. Heck, even if we raid PGC's HQ to force them to change the winner, it won't benefit any of us here. I couldn't even get mine in on time...

Ok look, I'll be honest, I also had the idea of using the DS as a chick magnet, but I thought it was too stupid so I didn't send it in. Had I known it would have gotten such high praise, I would have sent mine in as well.

Hey, why don't we do a little vote here just for fun? Let's vote the winner and see what the readers like. The winner will get... nothing.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2006, 08:48:16 AM »
This was my entry guys:
The DS Lite: Remote control for Reggie Fils-Aime
The DS Lite is an excellent handheld. What few people know, however, is that it can connect to Reggie Fils-Aime’s brain! When a secret button code is entered into the DS Lite, it becomes a remote control for Reggie Fils-Aime!

Harness the power of the Regginator! Press “A” to kick a butt, “B” to take a name, and “X” or "Y" to Regginate Reggie's current target! Then, use the touch screen and mic to deliver powerful competition-crushing speeches! But be careful: Reggie might break free and come to Regginate YOU!

Here was the concept behind it: I kept thinking of an alternative use for the DS Lite. But then I kept thinking that I should've created something COMPLETELY unexpected. Instead of focusing on obvious stuff like the light, I came up with an alternative use for the OVERALL handheld.

I had a lot of ideas for this. I originally started as the DS Lite as a gateway to other dimensions. Why challenge gamers and friends locally when you can do it dimensionally? Then I came up with the idea of using the DS Lite as a way to enter someone's mind and see what they see and hear what they hear. Eventually, I came up with the idea of controlling the ultimate Nintendo icon, Reggie Fils Aime.

My pet peeve is that the contest encouraged creative thinking. The winning entry isn't that creative or imaginative. It's just a lame pick up line involving the DS Lite. Like SB said, replace it with the PSP, the GBA or even the original GB and you still have the same thing. It didn't capture why the DS Lite is so great and fantastical.

The third entry was MUCH better. I'm sorry Karl, but it seemed that you were pressed for time and picked the one you could remember the most. The entry is not interesting, the entry is not FANTASTIC.

I'm sorry Karl, but you dropped the BALL on this one...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2006, 09:37:42 AM »
I think there's a lot of weight put to the style of writing. Dan's is well-written, with a lot of mood and confidence. We should know by now that (especially with the way it applies to video games) presentation/style is everything.

Honestly, it's what I was counting on for my entry too – my uses weren't overly-original (I did the blinding and weapon uses too). However, when placed into the very specific setting of a guide written to help the reader fend off random Ninja attacks, and referencing (what I'd hoped were) well-known events/movies/etc... well, I'd hoped it would be better-received. It wasn't, so that's too bad for me. But it's good for Dan. And it would have been good for someone else if it wasn't Dan.

A "reader's choice" vote will get us nothing but ill-will and riled emotions. PGC didn't have to put the contest up in the first place, and none of us would even have had the CHANCE of winning a DS Lite. It was super-nice of them to spend the time and effort for this, and I think they're taking too much crap for this service they've provided to the readers.

I DO have a couple suggestions that could reduce some of the whinging in future contests, though:
• Make sure there are at least small prizes for 2nd and 3rd place, like there usually are (heck, even just leftover E3 swag). Just one prize for all those quality entries is a major disappointment to the people who were SO close.
• If it's NOT a committee vote by all or most of the staff, it should be. (even if it's first culled down to a "TOP 10" list).

Actually, I will vote: I vote that we let these complaints die and just be content that we had a chance to win at all, thanks to PGC (especially Karl). If you've got something constructive to say, then fine. For me, it's a done-deal. I enjoyed the entries that got the honors, and am hoping lots more entrants post their submissions.  
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2006, 10:05:14 AM »

Originally posted by: decoyman
I think there's a lot of weight put to the style of writing. Dan's is well-written, with a lot of mood and confidence. We should know by now that (especially with the way it applies to video games) presentation/style is everything.

Here's the thing, though. The contest didn't encourage the best writing possible. They only wanted the BEST IDEA FOR THE DS LITE. They said that while good writing and being funny didn't hurt, they were looking for ideas, not for the best writing.

This contest was NOT about the presentation or the style. IT WAS ABOUT THE IDEA! And the winner's idea was lame. Lame, lame, lame...

In fact, this is so bad that I might not enter any future PGC contest if they will be using the same half assed method of entry judgement...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2006, 10:05:35 AM »
I vote that Karl owes us all brand new DS Lites.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2006, 10:19:45 AM »
Oh man, PGC you better shape up or you'll never be graced with pap64's funtastic losing entries anymore A HAW HAW HAW YOU LOST
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2006, 10:26:05 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu
I vote that Karl owes us all brand new DS Lites.

Hah, how about I get one for myself first?

Pap, I'm sorry that you don't like the entries and I hope that you enter in future contests, but the fact of that matter is, I was tasked to find what was, in my eyes, the best entry. I say "in my eyes," because being "the best" is subjective. As such, there are going to be people (such as yourself) who disagree. One of the conditions of the contest is that the final decision is left to the judge, and this is no different. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but deciding the winner was my decision (along with the approval of the Senior Staff), and it stays, regardless of what your problems with it are.

This is the end of the conversation. You're all free to post your own entries and discuss what you liked or disliked about the winners, but as far as belittling the validity of the final decision, it won't go any further. I'm trying to take your statements in stride, but there are mods on this board with less paitience than I.
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2006, 10:46:51 AM »
Karl, you suck on a straw to get the soda out of the cup.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2006, 03:03:24 PM »
What was your wife's entry, Bob?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2006, 03:18:33 PM »
Oh, her entry was "Wear it as a hat."

Yeah.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2006, 03:21:16 PM »
 WINNER  
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2006, 04:44:55 PM »
I thought that one was kick. =)
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline DJSapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2006, 07:43:45 AM »
Eh... they were all good. Here's mine:

DS Lite EXTRiiME Paperclip (TM) to lead an OFFICE SUPPLY REVOLUTION!

The paperclip has been a staple of most sophisticated cultures since 1899 and while useful for applications such as holding papers and picking locks, it hasn't changed from the day it was released. Nintendo aspires to innovate the office supply industry this June with the release of the DS Lite EXTRiime Paperclip. With its sleek clamshell design, you can bind your documents in style. And if you prefer some of the old-school paperclip uses, a retro-style-straight-paperclip holder is built into the unit for access to your MacGuyver'd lock picking tools. Be a part of the revolution this June.

-D

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2006, 08:48:16 AM »

Originally posted by: pap64
In fact, this is so bad that I might not enter any future PGC contest if they will be using the same half assed method of entry judgement...

I wouldn't go that far. These contests are ALL subjective, and while I like all of the others posted here (yours is great: REGGINATED!!! Ha!) Karl has a different set of standards for what he dubs "best".

Besides, this WAS an easy competition to enter so I'm sure it had tons of entries. The harder ones will have fewer participants.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64