Author Topic: A question about Picto-Chat  (Read 3050 times)

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
A question about Picto-Chat
« on: August 01, 2004, 05:29:51 AM »
Will Picto-Chat be able to acess Wi-Fi?  Cuz if someone's only one hundred feet away, why the hell wouldn't u just talk to 'em?

Oh, and btw, the way Reggie phrased his statement after the final DS was released ("with chat functionality," I believe) seems to point that Picto-Chat will be built in to the DS.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
RE: A question about Picto-Chat
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2004, 07:27:28 AM »
Nintendo hasn't said anything about how each game will communicate, though I'm thinking it will probably be local chat only. Turn on your DS and the system looks for other local units, then you can talk to those people if they are also chatting. You might be able to use it to talk to people across the world via WiFi, but you would probably have to tell your DS to specifically talk to that person (sorta like sending an IM), because a world-wide DS chatroom would be waaaaaay to confusing for PictoChat to handle.

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2004, 08:55:10 AM »
Yeah, that's what I was saying...actually, I was under the impression that all online games would be like that, so you could play with someone specifically.  I figured you'd "name" your DS (sort of in a configuration type thing, like when you first start up your GameCube) and then a list would pop up of people available.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
RE:A question about Picto-Chat
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2004, 10:10:59 AM »
I imagine that would be the case. I think we will probably see a Tribes-esque situation with the DS multiplayer, where when you go on the multiplayer a number of available servers will pop up and yu will be able to search for your friends on that, either that or you will just dial up their DS with its name. Maybe all DSs will have a number or something. I wonder if Nintendo will allow people to run their own servers for online games. Perhaps you have to buy or download some software, and then you can run your own server.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2004, 11:59:44 AM »

Cuz if someone's only one hundred feet away, why the hell wouldn't u just talk to 'em?

Well, 'cause your lazy. That's why.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 12:27:23 AM »
Yea, it is looking alot like PictoChat or some such chat function is built into the hardware.
note that Satoru Iwata made a very similar comment the same day (i.e. he specifically listed "chat function" as one of the DS's features).

Offline Blaster009

• something with navy letters
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2004, 08:19:35 PM »
Pictochat being built into the DS would be cool, though I don't necessarily know that the "chat functionality" feature on the DS means built in Pictochat.

From what I saw at E3, Pictochat seemed to just be used with the Wireless LAN for private text messaging between people, but if it comes as a built in feature with the DS, I'm not too upset.
~Blaster

Averaging less than 1 point playing Planet Trivia, 1.5 playing Radio Trivia

First Planet Trivia

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2004, 12:53:46 AM »
Maybe we will get a cart that has all the E3 Demos on it.

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2004, 12:41:37 PM »
Got me excited again.  Its free too.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline SuperMario35

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2004, 04:50:16 PM »
Does the DS have a main menu similar to the Gamecube like clock,gameplay,or options? Could it possibly have a chat function in the menu if it has one?

Offline SuperMario35

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2004, 04:51:40 PM »
Does the DS have a main menu similar to the Gamecube like clock,gameplay,or options? Could it possibly have a chat function in the menu if it has one?

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2004, 05:01:03 PM »
Yes.  Yes it will.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.