Author Topic: Online Adapter?  (Read 3979 times)

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Online Adapter?
« on: July 31, 2004, 04:17:49 AM »
...well, I was thinking, and seeing I don't have a wireless router, I'll have to drive to Starbucks 2 miles away to play Metroid online.  I consulted some of my tech-junkie friends..."Kevin Rose will come up with something," was my first response.  I didn't doubt it, but I wanted something sliiiiightly more practical.  The second two responses I got were quite a bit more interesting...

The first one said that using laptop technology, they could make a cartridge or something for the DS to extend the range by a lot, like say, five miles.  That would, unless you live in a very, very rural town (in which case I doubt you'd be able to get a DS in the first place), pretty much cover anyone with a DS...within five miles, SOMEone's going to have a connection, so you could pretty much sit anywhere and play online on the DS.  I hope if Microsoft, as rumors point, does jump on the DS bandwagon, they end up doing this, or else any 3rd party...we know Nintendo won't.

The second one wasn't really a response, but kind of my own idea.  I haven't taken my consoles online before, so I don't know exactly how it works, but I'm guessing the broadband adapter or whatever plugs into the phone-line jack.  It would be fairly easy for a company to release some sort of adapter for the DS that would plug into the phone-line jack, enabling even non-wirelesss router users to go online, wouldn't it?

You thoughts...could these happen?  Will they happen?  How long into the life-cylce?  3rd party or 1st party?
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Online Adapter?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 04:24:26 AM »
Five miles? You'd need a very powerful antenna for that. A wireless router would be cheaper.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 06:44:07 AM »
Maybe...what do you think about my idea, though?  I think it's plausible.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 07:58:55 AM »
There are WiFi -> RJ45 bridges already available.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 08:35:46 AM »
Really?  Well, we'd still need a DS version released, right?

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2004, 09:02:30 AM »
Dedede, I don't think you understand that WiFi is a standard. The DS's WiFi adapter is the same as the WiFi adapter in a notebook PC or something else. It'll work with anything else that's WiFi compliant (I'm assuming it'll use 802.11g standard, so it'll work with any 802.11g or 802.11b network).

You'd buy a 802.11g -> RJ45 bridge and plug it into your computer or router. Your DS would talk to the bridge, and the bridge would go through the computer/router to get out to the internet.

The way you word your posts, I'm assuming your on dial-up, so you really shouldn't be gaming online in the first place.

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2004, 10:46:28 AM »
Will DS have both 802.11 g and b integrated?  And I hope everyone takes the passwords off their wireless networks...
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
RE:Online Adapter?
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2004, 12:05:25 PM »
There will probably be an adapter for this, and possibly one for mobile phones.  You can run a laptop through a WAP mobile phone, so why not a DS?

Offline animex

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2004, 12:31:00 PM »
http://SONY.PS(hit)2.PS(hit)P.MICROSOCKS.G(ay)BOX.HA(b)LO.HA(b)LO2.BILL.G(ay)TES

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2004, 04:57:01 PM »
how much is all of this stuff gonna cost anyway?
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2004, 06:43:31 PM »
Actually, Obi...lol, I'm using DSL.  The reason I word my posts the way I do is simply because I know NOTHING about technology (I'll probably know how to operate it...take off the top and I'm clueless).  What I was saying to KDR was...well, I don't realy get it.  You see, what I was saying with my idea, was some wire connecting the DS to the router or something, and I guess KDR's saying those exist.  What I was saying was, you'd need something to connect it to the DS.  I mean, you couldn't just plug anything into the DS anywhere...but I guess we're not talking abou the same thing.  You're saying the DS would talk to the bridge...I guess you mean wirelessly...hmm, I'll do some research, read up on it.  I guess I'll post my findings in this thread, for those who are as unknowledable as I am, probably tomorrow morning.  Thanks, Obi and KDR!

EDIT: I thought info about this stuff would be slightly easier to find...lol...if someone could direct me to a page with some info?  Oh, and I have the same question as Zach.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline StrikerObi

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2004, 08:28:42 PM »
Dedede, the DS is all wireless. There is nothing to plug into it. It talks to other DS units via wireless link through Nintendo's propritary format or at a longer range through the internet over an 802.11g connection to some sort or router or bridge that's running into a computer or router via a standard RJ45 ethernet cable.

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2004, 10:38:33 PM »
G only?  That cuts down a lot of the hot spots then... Good thing I'm going to college
Kiss the Cynic!

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2004, 04:23:03 AM »
So, Obi, what you're saying is that this bridge "tricks" the DS into thinking its talking to a wireless router, and therefore, Wi-Fi is possible when using this bridge.   Could someone direct me to a page from which I can purchase a bridge?

4 8 15 16 23 42

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2004, 04:33:15 AM »
Ok...well, I found this:

http://www.aztekcomputers.com/detail.php?part_num=763880&nav_index=18&totalRecords=30&PHPSESSID=41fa11e9824c8fc28eb60d9935253137

I know it's not called a bridge, but it's the cheapest I found, and it looks like it'll do the job.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2004, 04:46:34 AM »
I would probably be cheaper for you to get wireless internet. That way you can also get faster internet in the price. You could even just get the router nd use an ethernet cable, like I have on the 'base station' computer at my house.

I am worried though, because my router is 802.11b compliant. I hope that the DS can run off this.

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2004, 05:25:57 AM »
Hmmm...routers are that cheap?  I'll look into it....if someone could direct me to a router compatible with Yahoo SBC (I got the router from them as well, not sure if they make wireless...)

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline StrikerObi

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2004, 07:38:47 AM »

Originally posted by: odifiend
G only?  That cuts down a lot of the hot spots then... Good thing I'm going to college

I am worried though, because my router is 802.11b compliant. I hope that the DS can run off this.

802.11g is completly backwards-compatable with 802.11b networks. So finding hot spots won't be a problem. Neither will compatibility with existing 802.11b networks.

So, Obi, what you're saying is that this bridge "tricks" the DS into thinking its talking to a wireless router, and therefore, Wi-Fi is possible when using this bridge. Could someone direct me to a page from which I can purchase a bridge?

No, there's nothing to "trick." Look at it like this.

------ this sort of line indicates a hardline RJ45 ethernet cable
~~~~~ this sort of line indicates a wireless connection

Nintendo DS ~~~~~~~~~ Bridge --------- Your PC running Internet Connection Sharing ---------- Cable / DSL "Modem" -------- Internet

or

Nintendo DS ~~~~~~~~~ Bridge --------- Non-Wireless Router -------- Cable / DSL Modem --------- Internet

or

Nintendo DS ~~~~~~~~~ Wireless Router ---------- Cable / DSL "Modem" -------- Internet

Ok...well, I found this:

http://www.aztekcomputers.com/detail.php?part_num=763880&nav_index=18&totalRecords=30&PHPSESSID=41fa11e9824c8fc28eb60d9935253137

I know it's not called a bridge, but it's the cheapest I found, and it looks like it'll do the job.

Here's what his device does

PS2/Xbox/GameCube ------ Wireless adaptor ~~~~~~~ Wireless Router -------- Cable / DSL "Modem" ------- Internet

Hmmm...routers are that cheap? I'll look into it....if someone could direct me to a router compatible with Yahoo SBC (I got the router from them as well, not sure if they make wireless...)

Yes, the best way to go is to forego all this silly bridge stuff and just replace your current router with a 802.11b/g (g preferred) router / Access Point.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-124-010&depa=0

$70 ($60 after the rebate).  

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2004, 12:25:28 AM »
Wireless routers can be had for $30 or $40. Check your weekly circulars (Best Buy, Circuit City, Fry's, etc.)

Offline Blaster009

• something with navy letters
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2004, 07:30:19 PM »
I'm just as inept with technology as dedede, but I gather that the only way I can use the DS' Wi-Fi connectivity is by using a hotspot, since I do not have Cable/DSL, and there is no way I can play the DS, or any other system for that matter, online using dial-up, right?

By the way, the tables seem to be broken in this topic, at least for me. It appears to me that Striker broke them since on my page his post borders are wider than anyone else's, though I may be wrong...
~Blaster

Averaging less than 1 point playing Planet Trivia, 1.5 playing Radio Trivia

First Planet Trivia

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2004, 02:08:06 PM »
lol...it was me, i posted that link that extended past the borders...

4 8 15 16 23 42