Author Topic: Animal Crossing DS - multiplayer confirmed  (Read 3490 times)

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
Animal Crossing DS - multiplayer confirmed
« on: July 29, 2004, 08:04:18 PM »
So it turns out that we've known Animal Crossing DS was going to have multiplayer ever since E3. Take a look at the screenshots:

http://www.planetgamecube.com/media.cfm?action=screens&id=2143

They clearly show two player characters interacting with each other (one boy and one girl).

Now, what I don't think is that two players living in the same town can play together at the same time. This wouldn't be possible without some kind of centralized server which Nintendo most certainly won't be doing with their "no online" philosophy. To have two people living in the same town they really would still need to be on the same save file, and two players wouldn't be able to affect the same save file at the same time without the save file being avaliable in a central location.

But it does mean that you will probably be able to visit other towns in your Local Area Network (or over WiFi) by hopping on the train in the game. Then you can run around somebody else's town and talk to them (as seen with the chat interface, maybe it'll even be revised with microphone support), trade items, and interact with their AI villagers.

RE:Animal Crossing DS - multiplayer confirmed
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 10:25:12 PM »
that would be great

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Animal Crossing DS - multiplayer confirmed
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 10:42:26 PM »
How about the guy who "owns" the town is the sever? Or a P2P system?

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2004, 03:18:36 AM »
I like KDR's idea.  Thank god it's not on the PSP, some sort of P2P would have mp3's flying everywhere, and KDR's dreaded RIAA would come catch him.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Pikkcuber

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 06:28:34 PM »
I wont lie i have no idea what your talking about with P2P or whatever, im just wondering what new stuff is Nintendo putting in there.  If they just port the GC version well thats crap.  I love the GC version but i beat it already and dont wanna play it again espically on a portable system. Another thing is there proably not going to have the NES games (those made Animal Crossing a must have game, and without it, the game would not be half as good as it is) because there trying to sell those for 20 bucks, and how could they say buy all these games for 20 bucks and buy this game for 35 where you can get them all on one card.  Nintendo has to add a new aspect (multiplayer with no online is not going to do nothing for me) does anybody know of any?
PikkCuber

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2004, 06:38:26 PM »

Originally posted by: Pikkcuber
(multiplayer with no online is not going to do nothing for me)

there is online, you just need the right equipment, you should have a look at the thread entitled "Online Adapter?"
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline StrikerObi

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2004, 08:25:00 PM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k

Not possible. Let's go through a scenario.

I live in Florida, and I am "hosting" the Animal Crossing town on my Nintendo DS.

I have a friend with a DS who wants to join my town and live there.

The first problem with this setup is that the only way he can play Animal Crossing DS is if I already am (or maybe if I have ACDS in my DS and have it in standby mode so he can access it even if I'm not playing).

That whole situation is absurd and contrived.

The second problem is that if he goes out of town and isn't in a WiFi hotspot (assuming ACDS will support WiFi) he won't be able to even access my DS regardless of me playing the game or not.

So yeah, there's no way two people with two DS units can live in the same town.

The P2P connection idea (which is basically how DS connects from what I can infer) works, but only to visit other towns. Here's an idea.

I, "Obi" live in the town of "PGCville." I go to the train station in PGCville. When I go to the trian station and talk to Porter, he presents me with the train's "schedule." When this happens the DS checks around for all the towns in the local area. The towns avaliable to visit are listed. I pick the town I want to go to and hop on the train.

There's a couple situations that have to be addressed here.

What if you don't want peopel visiting your town, or only want certian people visiting? Well then you talk to Porter (or perhaps some other new character) and tell him you don't want any visitors, or you set up a guest list with the names of people (and their towns) you will let in.

The second issue is the issue of disconnections. What if you're in another town and then you (or the other guy) walk away from the other DS in real life, outside the connection range. Or perhaps you're in another town and the other guy turns off his DS. When his happens, there would obviously be some kind of message like "Uh oh, it appears you had to go home ahead of schedule" or whatever. You pop back out in your town and go back on with regular play. Lost data isn't a problem because the other guy has just saved his game, including whatever you were doing in his town. It's not a problem for you because you haven't shut off you DS, you're still playing. When you save your game, anything you took from his town will already be in your town when you were sent back.

Linking over WiFi would probalby be a different story. When you connect via WiFi, I'm assuming (again, based on what Nintendo has said so far) you are chosing to connect to another specific DS unit. There's the possibility of some sort of listing out there of every DS on the internet, but this is pretty far fetched considering Nintendo's stance on online gaming. So you'd probably type in the name of your buddy's DS (some sort of propritary name for the system or MAC address or IP or serial number or something) and connect to it like that. So if you want to play over the net you'd have to call up your buddy or IM him/her first to set up the connection. This makes sense anyway, because you don't just hop online and suspect your friend to be waiting for you. You usually contact him/her first and go "hey let's play this game together over the internet."

Originally posted by: kirby_killer_dedede
I like KDR's idea.  Thank god it's not on the PSP, some sort of P2P would have mp3's flying everywhere, and KDR's dreaded RIAA would come catch him.

What are you talking about? Is this some lame attempt at a joke? I mean, the PSP doesn't even support MP3 (it's ATRAC3/ATRAC3+ only). P2P does not mean piracy. P2P simply means a peer to peer connection, which is a connection where one device talks to the other(s) without going through a centralized server.  

Offline Ray00101

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2004, 08:47:22 PM »

"I like KDR's idea. Thank god it's not on the PSP, some sort of P2P would have mp3's flying everywhere, and KDR's dreaded RIAA would come catch him."

*agreed* hmmmm....*wonders what the world animal crossing would be like with guns and hookers*

Obi's Note: Try to post something worthwhile next time, instead of rabid fanboyism. Also, use the quote tags.
Who messed with my freakin icon!O_O

Offline Blaster009

• something with navy letters
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2004, 07:57:12 PM »
Ever since I saw those screenshots, I've assumed it is just connection between two DS systems with two seperate Animal Crossing DS saves going on there, with one of the players visting the others town through the DS' wireless LAN. What I hope is that there will also be Wi-Fi usage with ACDS, where you can connect to an ACDS server with chat rooms, message boards, downloadable content, and a place where two (or more) people can connect to another player's town and trade stuff, etc.
~Blaster

Averaging less than 1 point playing Planet Trivia, 1.5 playing Radio Trivia

First Planet Trivia

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2004, 12:59:05 AM »
I think that everyone will have to assign their DS with a name at start up or that every DS will have a number. When you go to the train station on WiFi and go to the ticket dude he will ask 'where to' and you just type in the DS you want to visit. Problem solved.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2004, 01:36:40 AM »

Yes there is. If someone isn't playing at the same time as you they just appear locked in their house. Simple.

..but then somehow my DS would have to know what my friend has done to his town while I wasn't there, without connecting. Damn.

I'm sure there's a way though.

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2004, 02:12:46 PM »

Originally posted by: StrikerObi

Originally posted by: KDR_11k

Not possible. Let's go through a scenario.

I live in Florida, and I am "hosting" the Animal Crossing town on my Nintendo DS.

I have a friend with a DS who wants to join my town and live there.

The first problem with this setup is that the only way he can play Animal Crossing DS is if I already am (or maybe if I have ACDS in my DS and have it in standby mode so he can access it even if I'm not playing).

That whole situation is absurd and contrived.

The second problem is that if he goes out of town and isn't in a WiFi hotspot (assuming ACDS will support WiFi) he won't be able to even access my DS regardless of me playing the game or not.

The P2P connection idea (which is basically how DS connects from what I can infer) works, but only to visit other towns. Here's an idea.

I, "Obi" live in the town of "PGCville." I go to the train station in PGCville. When I go to the trian station and talk to Porter, he presents me with the train's "schedule." When this happens the DS checks around for all the towns in the local area. The towns avaliable to visit are listed. I pick the town I want to go to and hop on the train.

There's a couple situations that have to be addressed here.

What if you don't want peopel visiting your town, or only want certian people visiting? Well then you talk to Porter (or perhaps some other new character) and tell him you don't want any visitors, or you set up a guest list with the names of people (and their towns) you will let in.

The second issue is the issue of disconnections. What if you're in another town and then you (or the other guy) walk away from the other DS in real life, outside the connection range. Or perhaps you're in another town and the other guy turns off his DS. When his happens, there would obviously be some kind of message like "Uh oh, it appears you had to go home ahead of schedule" or whatever. You pop back out in your town and go back on with regular play. Lost data isn't a problem because the other guy has just saved his game, including whatever you were doing in his town. It's not a problem for you because you haven't shut off you DS, you're still playing. When you save your game, anything you took from his town will already be in your town when you were sent back.

Linking over WiFi would probalby be a different story. When you connect via WiFi, I'm assuming (again, based on what Nintendo has said so far) you are chosing to connect to another specific DS unit. There's the possibility of some sort of listing out there of every DS on the internet, but this is pretty far fetched considering Nintendo's stance on online gaming. So you'd probably type in the name of your buddy's DS (some sort of propritary name for the system or MAC address or IP or serial number or something) and connect to it like that. So if you want to play over the net you'd have to call up your buddy or IM him/her first to set up the connection. This makes sense anyway, because you don't just hop online and suspect your friend to be waiting for you. You usually contact him/her first and go "hey let's play this game together over the internet."

Originally posted by: kirby_killer_dedede

What are you talking about? Is this some lame attempt at a joke? I mean, the PSP doesn't even support MP3 (it's ATRAC3/ATRAC3+ only). P2P does not mean piracy. P2P simply means a peer to peer connection, which is a connection where one device talks to the other(s) without going through a centralized server.

lol...how do i know?  i dont care about the psp, dammit...and SOMEONE would figure out how to use a p2p on the ds/psp to send files everywhere...
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline StrikerObi

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2004, 05:27:28 PM »
dedede, P2P doesn't require a standalone program like Kazaa or something. P2P simply means Peer to Peer. It means one network terminal (a computer, a DS, whatever) talks to another without the aid of a server in between them. When you tunnel an Xbox or GameCube out over the internet through something like X-Link Kai you are then directly connecting to the other player's Xbox. This is a P2P network. X-Link Kai is only being used as a way to facilitate the linking of the two systems. After they link Kai's got nothing to do with it anymore. The DS an the PSP are designed for this sort of linking, so a go-between program probably won't be necessary. You just dial in your friend's DS (or look on a central server listing all DS units) and hook up to his system.