Author Topic: Miyamoto speaks on DS WiFi  (Read 7642 times)

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Miyamoto speaks on DS WiFi
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2004, 12:58:41 PM »
............I want AC online!!!!
"I can't read...im not a loser."~Master Shake

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Miyamoto speaks on DS WiFi
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2004, 01:21:43 PM »
Ummmm...I didn't read these latest comments...BECAUSE I'M LAZY

The company is very interested in keeping the DS an "out of the box" experience that will require no accessories, such as a wireless router to link systems over the internet via broadband connections.

Now unless I'm mistaken, he says that it will be used for gaming "online" here...

Not to mention that Reggie brought up the "online gaming with the DS" thing during the press conference, I think this interview may have been taken out of context...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2004, 01:26:12 PM »
"Read that over and over until you get it"

Every time I read it it means "no accessores like a wireless router which is used for linking systems over the internet."  The last part is a description of what a wireless router does.  It's not saying that Nintendo wants to link systems online using something else.  If that were the case it would read "...experience that will require no accessories, such as a wireless router, to link systems over the internet via broadband connections."  Note the extra comma which complete changes the meaning of the sentence.  If the extra comma were there that would be great but it's not so that to me means the last few words are merely a description of what an wireless router does.

Offline ssj4_android

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2004, 01:31:56 PM »
Everyone who says online and internet are two different things is getting confused. The world wide web it the http stuff. The internet is what it goes through. So online gaming would be on the internet.

Offline Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2004, 01:40:57 PM »
"Why would a third party create an online DS game when Nintendo is not providing any assistance? This is virtually the same as the Cube online model: Nintendo does nothing and so everyone else does nothing."

As I said before, it is nothing like the Cube online Model.  With the DS, every multiplayer game will be able to be played online, because every multiplayer game requires a network connection.  What gamecube games have network modes? Mario kart DD has a crippled network option...

What I want to see is the multiplayer Revolution/DS connectivity games over the internet.

Offline Radiostorm

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2004, 02:02:30 PM »
The DS has the ideal set-up for online games; one screen for ability/communication/equipment management, the other for actual gameplay. Not making any first-party online games is a waste of potential. :/
I'm a genius in France.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2004, 02:42:28 PM »
Nice to see that the knee-jerk reactions have subsided.

Really the biggest disappointment here is the revelation that Miyamoto doesn't have any working ideas for online gameplay yet, at least for the DS. Nintendo's certainly onboard with the wireless LAN opportunities of the DS (since every multiplayer game will use that feature), and they've thrown on Wi-fi so that they can keep their future options open, especially for third-parties.

But despite making allowances on the hardware side of it, it doesn't look like DS online titles are in development at Nintendo... not that playing portable games Online is necessarily a good idea... actually, it's downright weird. Forget it...

I just wonder if Miyamoto's and Nintendo's Online "writer's block" is limited to the DS, or if it extends to the console arena as well?

Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Blaster009

• something with navy letters
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2004, 04:32:10 PM »

Originally posted by: theRPGFreak
............I want AC online!!!!

As do I... I thought that with the use of LAN displayed at E3, AC DS could go online as well, and people could trade items without having to go through the whole "password" thing...
~Blaster

Averaging less than 1 point playing Planet Trivia, 1.5 playing Radio Trivia

First Planet Trivia

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2004, 04:43:14 PM »
We all fail at the intarweb!  

Offline Kirby_PopStar

• Touches Nintendo DS at night.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2004, 05:09:22 PM »
http://hosting.picgoo.com/uploads7/pictochatds_secret.jpg

Nintendo won't let us down... there has to be a way to use Picto-Chat with someone really really far away... right?  
Famicom Commemorate -- Coming Soon!

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2004, 05:30:47 PM »
Interesting parent directory. :¬D
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2004, 05:34:36 PM »

Everyone who says online and internet are two different things is getting confused. The world wide web it the http stuff. The internet is what it goes through. So online gaming would be on the internet.

*holds up hand*

That would have been me. But the core of my opinion still stands. I think Miyamoto was referring to "the Web".

He's saying that the possibility for a web-browser on the DS is entirely there, but that Nintendo has no interest in developing one.

If Nintendo's "custom wireless protocol" is superior to 802.11, then why is 802.11 there at all? Apparently to connect to other consoles (via the Internet). But not to connect to the internet (for it's own sake). Unless of course, some third party wants to go in that direction.

Or at least that's my take on this.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2004, 05:59:59 PM »
Wow If Nintendo wont support online on the DS, then its a big weakness when the PSP Comes rolling in... I sometimes wonder if Nintendo wants to actually beat Sony.  

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2004, 06:55:27 PM »
It's better than online, it's no-line!

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2004, 07:28:51 PM »
Wow, that *clarification* made a huge difference.

So, nintendo won't be making a web browser for the ds,  big deal.

The cool thing, however, is that there *IS* a possibility of a web browser for the DS.  But the resolution is probably too small for comfort.

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2004, 08:27:40 PM »
Boy, am I glad that I usually don't check this site early in the day.

I missed all the rage-over-absolutely-nothing bit.

"This is virtually the same as the Cube online model: Nintendo does nothing and so everyone else does nothing. "

The main difference is that the Cube modems were sold separately. Third parties don't believe that enough Cube owners have broadband adapters to warrant putting in an online mode if not enough people can even use it. The DS has these capabilites built right into it, so Nintendo itself doesn't need to pimp online in its own games in order to get people to buy some modem.
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2004, 08:54:41 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.  Considering how most of us (especially myself heh heh) reacted you can see how much of a hot issue this is.  I feel much much better now.  And although many of us freaked out considering what we thought this meant I think our reaction was justified.  We didn't overreact we just reacted to a mistranslation.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2004, 09:26:08 PM »
As I said...Nintendo fans get their panties in a bunch over a pin drop... ^_^
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Cubik83

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2004, 11:36:00 PM »
That's because Nintendos' pins are usally in the 5 tons> weightclass...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2004, 02:41:15 AM »
It'll be online like the GBA is going in Japan. Yes, in Japan the GBA is online with the wireless adapter and a hotspot. Means downloads, online gaming, etc. Currently the GBA hotspots are limited to toy stores,but with the DS using WiFi as well it might be able to use normal hotrspots, too.

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2004, 08:51:13 AM »

I think you mean "Never Happening" weight class
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline Chode2234

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2004, 11:33:26 AM »

Originally posted by: Cubik83

you mean the Never Happening type.....?
Wii:  0279 2707 3253 3306