Author Topic: Metroid Prime Trilogy No Longer Being Distributed  (Read 24152 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Metroid Prime Trilogy No Longer Being Distributed
« on: January 12, 2010, 07:05:41 AM »
Nintendo confirms that they have ceased production of Metroid Prime Trilogy.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=20763

After realizing that Amazon.com and many retailers were no longer carrying Metroid Prime Trilogy, gaming blog Coffee with Games contacted Nintendo about the situation. They have confirmed that the title is indeed no longer being distributed. The official Nintendo statement is as follows:    

"Thanks for your e-mail. The earlier response regarding Metroid Prime Trilogy was correct: it is no longer being shipped. When first introduced, it was announced that there would be limited availability. However, a reason for this was not announced. That being said, you may still be able to locate a copy via stores that specialize in previously played or used games."    

Copies of the game are still available at various web retailers, but they are becoming noticeably scarce.  Check out our forum thread dedicated to the game for more information.

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: Metroid Prime Trilogy No Longer Being Distributed
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 03:44:26 PM »
Mario Strikers Charge and Battalion Wars 2 are also discontinued.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 03:51:49 PM »
From my knowledge, Nintendo discontinues games all the time, especially smaller and niche games. I think this is a big deal because the game is only a few months old and nothing was mentioned about this being available for only a limited time.

Someone correct me on this, but I was under the impression that all game companies discontinue their games if there's no demand for it.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 04:39:31 PM »
Well it wouldn't make sense to keep manufacturing and shipping a game that no one is buying.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 04:42:55 PM »
Metroid, you had your chance.  A whopping 5 people on the planet own the Collector's Edition.  Not a big crowd.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 05:53:04 PM »
Well, I guess this means it is time to buy as many of them as we can so when the supply finally dries up we can sell them for a huge profit.
is your sanity...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 06:03:12 PM »
If you're a member of Club Nintendo, be sure to enter in the registration for this game as soon as you can before it is no longer applicable for coins. Other Nintendo games that have been discontinued are not eligible for coins, such as Excite Truck, WarioWare, and Battalion Wars II.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 07:07:53 PM »
From my knowledge, Nintendo discontinues games all the time, especially smaller and niche games. I think this is a big deal because the game is only a few months old and nothing was mentioned about this being available for only a limited time.

Someone correct me on this, but I was under the impression that all game companies discontinue their games if there's no demand for it.

Some companies simply stop producing for multiple reasons. Metroid Prime Trilogy could of been simply have been a collectors edition type of thing  where they had a specific number of copies alloted to produce. The North American ones came in a steelbook case which are more expensive than a regular case.  I guess people devalue the sense of collector's edition since you see how frequently other companies try to push a more expensive collector's edition over the standard edition and in this generation practically every major game has a collector's edition to it.

But in terms of general game production it depends how big the company is. Smaller companies contract a disc or cart (in this case for DS) maker to manufacture their game media and then package it or what not. During this process they have to say how many units they need to manufacture. And some games have multiple print runs over a period of time.

Bigger companies may simply have enough logistic to do manufacturing and distributing games.

In general game manufacturing is a complex thing and has many factors. There are many games that aren't in print anymore and we'd never realize that they aren't in print anymore.

PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 07:41:26 PM »
Mario Strikers Charge,Battalion Wars 2,Mario and Luigi 3:Bowsers Inside Story are also discontinued.
Fixed sadly.:(

I missed out on the above titles except Mario and Luigi 3:Bowsers Inside Story. I really need to get MPT soon.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 09:09:19 PM »

As much as I hate to say it, maybe this is another reason why DLC either in store (via a disc-writer and packaging machine) or at home is a good idea.
black fairy tales are better at sports

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 09:35:29 PM »

As much as I hate to say it, maybe this is another reason why DLC either in store (via a disc-writer and packaging machine) or at home is a good idea.

Doesn't make people like the product anymore to purchase it.  Nintendo fans are to blame.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 09:48:28 PM »
If you're a member of Club Nintendo, be sure to enter in the registration for this game as soon as you can before it is no longer applicable for coins. Other Nintendo games that have been discontinued are not eligible for coins, such as Excite Truck, WarioWare, and Battalion Wars II.

Excite Truck was never eligible for coins.

I'm not 100% sure BWii was ever eligible for coins.  It's not listed on the original list of games that were published pre-December 2008 that was eligible for coins...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 10:00:00 PM by UncleBob »
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 09:56:13 PM »
Mario Strikers Charge,Battalion Wars 2,Mario and Luigi 3:Bowsers Inside Story are also discontinued.

I missed out on the above titles except Mario and Luigi 3:Bowsers Inside Story. I really need to get MPT soon.

WHAT!?

/general pepper of star fox

You're not serious, right??
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 10:10:37 PM »

WHAT!?

I don't joke about news.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 10:14:37 PM »

WHAT!?

I don't joke about news.

was that meant to sound adorably cheesey??

I don't joke about news.

From now on i'll picture this when i read your post:

February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
I guess I was being to serious for my own good. I saw this news a day or so ago and I was sad.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 11:07:34 PM »
Excite Truck was never eligible for coins.

I'm not 100% sure BWii was ever eligible for coins.  It's not listed on the original list of games that were published pre-December 2008 that was eligible for coins...
I never said that they were, I simply said that discontinued games aren't eligible for coins. I imagine the list will be updated at some point; my guess would be the start of the next Club Nintendo year. I wouldn't think they'd want out-of-print games to give coins as they wouldn't want to do anything that encourages people to buy used games...

I don't joke about news.

was that meant to sound adorably cheesey??
If you imagine Maxi's voice to sound like the character Butters from South Park, everything that he says is adorable.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 11:09:30 PM by Mop_it_up »

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 01:20:25 AM »
I never bought this because I already bought Prime, Prime II and Prime III separately.
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 02:07:39 AM »
Heh. I did too, and I still picked up the Trilogy.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 02:23:59 AM »
Am I a bad person in that I am now interested in getting a copy just because of its value?

I personally never liked the Metroid Prime games. I played the first one and got tired of it very quickly. It didn't matter that my friends were going crazy over it, the great reviews, and the warm reception. I thought it sucked. And I avoided Metroid Prime 2 like the dark plague combined with sars, swine flu and AIDS.

I confess, however, that I was curious about Metroid Prime 3 because the Wii controls looked like it added to the experience. But I was very unsure about it because it was Metroid Prime. Also, I aim to have the most complete Wii collection, and MP 3 is essential. Metroid Prime Trilogy looks like a great opportunity to re-experience them all with Wii controls.

I am going to have to hunt for this one...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 04:38:53 AM »
I don't understand why Nintendo would let this game die if there is still plenty of demand for it. Does anyone have any theories?
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 04:58:54 AM »
Does anyone have any theories?

There is no demand for it [/theory]

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 10:54:38 AM »
Full list of discontinued Wii Games:
http://wii.kombo.com/article.php?artid=15520

Poor DK Barrel Blast.  Would have bought you if I could have used the Bongos.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2010, 01:03:32 PM »
Metroid has always been Nintendo's red-headed stepchild.  They would love to bury it entirely.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2010, 01:05:45 PM »
Maybe they'll reinvent the franchise by calling it "Wii Adventure" where you take your Mii through an alien planet, using the Wii Remote to shoot at little green men.   Naturally, the game will take care of all movement for you.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.