Author Topic: Episode 253: Daddy's Home for Dinner  (Read 17669 times)

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
Episode 253: Daddy's Home for Dinner
« on: August 07, 2011, 05:01:20 PM »

Billy returns to RFN, and this time, he stays for nearly the entire show.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/27374

Jon is out yet again due to circumstances beyond his control; he positively swears that he'll be back next week! Taking over the senior chair at our RFN table this week is Billy Berghammer, a dude you might know from here or there. He's got a few thoughts on the recent 3DS news and what's to come for the system, plus tempered impressions for Shadows of the Damned, the latest game from a certain Suda 51 who may be coming up again soon on this podcast. Jonny dives into the memory hole with Final Fantasy 3/6, which is better than ever on Virtual Console, and he also catches up with Bulletstorm, the innovative and apparently under-performing FPS from Epic Games. James has a buffet of Summer of Arcade demos and seems to especially like Bastion. Greg wraps up the segment with hands-on impressions of Skyward Sword and eyes-on impressions of Xenoblade Chronicles.

In Listener Mail, we field your magnificent queries on topics like how Nintendo's troubles with 3DS will influence their handling of Wii U, and reverse-import suggestions for Japanese gamers who want to check out the Western world's exclusive treasures. Then Billy has to run, but we keep on truckin' through a pair of additional letters. The last two include an assessment of the Fire Emblem series (and similar games) and the fantastically fun question of which characters we'd like to see in the next Smash Bros game(s).

RetroActive #19 has been decided -- we'll be playing Killer 7 in a matter of weeks, so stock up on canned food and ammo. If you dare to play along, or just want to observe gamers in agony (kidding... sort of), check out the official discussion thread. Your comments could be read on the podcast! Also, thanks again to everyone who voted and made this poll our most successful yet.

Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• The Master of the Fists
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 253: Daddy's Home for Dinner
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 12:06:27 AM »
Johnny:

In regards to performing Sabin's Blitz attacks, there are two methods to execute them.  The first method is to do it a la the Street Fighter II method; the second is by double pressing the d-pad.

For example, to perform the Fire Dance Blitz with method one, you'd have to slide from the d-pad in a half circle from Left to Right, then press A.  With method two, all you have to do is press Left, Left, Down, Down, Right and then A.

This makes performing his blitz attacks a piece of cake, and ensures a 100% success rate.  Try it out.
500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 10:32:15 AM »
Johnson's distant relative who marks checkpoints in Shadows by leaving a flaming turd is called One Eyed Willy. The gun Johnson turns into is called the Boner.

Offline fordrob

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 01:43:17 PM »
Any update available on the upcoming t-shirts?
The Dude abides

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 01:49:34 PM »
Its on the DNF Release Schedule.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 01:51:07 PM »

In my personal defense... Wait, t-shirts?
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline KisakiProject

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 04:47:36 PM »
I hope Billy comes back soon!

Also its kinda sad when your own retroactive players voted upon a title specifically to troll you.  I think you should dictatorial do Baten Kaitos Origins.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 05:08:47 PM »
I hope Billy comes back soon!

Also its kinda sad when your own retroactive players voted upon a title specifically to troll you.  I think you should dictatorial do Battalion Wars.
Corrected for Greater Justice!
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline fordrob

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 11:16:50 PM »

In my personal defense... Wait, t-shirts?

Updates on this t-shirt project have been so sparse that I'm beginning to fear I may have made the whole thing up. I remember a poll several months ago attempting to guage interest in the shirts, and I even risked banishment from the forums by then Director Jon Lindemann for suggesting that the shirts would be better without any references to Cho Aniki
The Dude abides

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 02:34:35 AM »
Tell Billy he needs to be on Weekend Confirmed more often.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 04:38:43 AM »
Another enjoyable episode!!

Responses ...

1. People are sometimes needlessly negative regarding Nintendo?? *shock face*

2. As a fan of many, many Final Fantasy games, FF6 is sadly one of my least favorite.  Don't get me wrong, the worst FF game is still a great game (well, until recently that was true).  But in spite of it's cool characters, interesting plot and grand scheme, I just never got into it like I did other games in the series.  I honestly think it is the "muted" color palette that really turned me off about it.  I'm sure it is supposed to reflect the condition of the world, but the visuals were just too drab for me to enjoy it - only my opinion.

3. Wow, I thought I was bad for having not played Chrono Trigger until recently.  But, Billy never played CT or FF6? Yikes!

4. Guys, guys ... those "2D display of a 3D image" tags aren't there to prevent people from wondering why they aren't seeing depth on their SDTV, it is simply to A) remind people that the device does 3D and B) to inform people that the part they are seeing will be in 3D when they buy it.  That way it prevents people saying "yea, but, come on, that cool part won't be in 3D, will it?" *months later after discounted purchase* "oh it IS in 3D! wow!"
... or some such scenario.

5. Nintendo's "rules" about couches and hands and whatnot might be easy prey ... but that sh*t has worked and worked well!! You can't say those weren't smart moves! That's why the Wii was able to transcend stigmas of being a game device for hardcore nerds and caught on as a social device for everyone! That's how they overcame the typical graphical arms race!  The proof is in the puddin' ... Sony and MS have followed suit because it was a smart choice.

6. oh noes! A Zelda game striving for increased mimetic experiences (physical, if not psychological, immersion) may require some standing up!  Heaven forbid!

To me, James keeping his arm down to make his Link avatar "look cool" is a fabulous example of how motion control is eroding the barrier between reality and the entertainment fiction.  No, I know, James isn't going to play the game and suddenly think: "I'm in Hyrule! I'm a magical elf boy saving the world!" but, it's erosion is a slow and steady process ... I won't fault it for taking its time.

7. Paraphases from Billy and my responses ...
"Nintendo shouldn't march to its own drum regarding launch line-ups.  They should provide high quality up front."

Are poor launch titles exclusive to Nintendo?! No.  Nearly every platform ever has had a weak launch line-up.  That's why the term "launch title" has meaning.

"I don't want a cost effective console, I leading edge processing power."

Wonderful. I'm sure Sony is currently hard at work on your next console!

As someone who has used tablets a lot for artwork, I go out of my way to purchase old single-touch computers... just sayin'.

Thank god Greg and Jonny chimed in with voices of reason.  Also, yes, I think the 3DS' shaky start will make WiiU a holiday release for sure.

8. Fire Emblem could be a fantastic series if characters didn't die forever.  Even if they had like their XP brought back to zero that would at least make it bearable to suffer casualties.

9. I really enjoyed hearing the passionate and rapid-fire creativity surrounding Smash Bros ideas!!
Personally, I don't need more Waluigi in anything, but I greatly respect and enjoy Jonny's passion for expanding him! Of the characters suggested, I would most look forward to Little Mac and/or Chibi Robo.

I've been playing a lot of Ecco the Dolphin lately ... anyone got the rights to him anymore!? ;-)

Oh, man, enough with the ExciteBots, people!  I just don't see the appeal of this game.  But I must be missing something because people talk about it like underrated Beatles music =P Ah well, I guess even my affinity for Wii games has its short-comings, eh? =)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 09:38:19 AM »
NinSage, your placement of FF6 as the worst Final Fantasy games means we can't be friends anymore.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 10:19:26 AM »
Characters I'd like to see in the new Smash Bros:
-Battletoads
-Bomberman
Of course, never gonna happen.

Glad to see some Fire Emblem discussion!
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 10:24:46 AM »

No, I know, James isn't going to play the game and suddenly think: "I'm in Hyrule! I'm a magical elf boy saving the world!"

Your right.  He won't think he's in Hyrule but, I think he is already a Magical Elf  Boy.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 12:24:46 PM »
@ Neal

:'( I said some good things about it though! 'Tis only my opinion!

@ Ceric

Truth. =)

Offline Kikori

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 12:31:39 PM »
Hi, I'm Minoru, the writer of the listener mail from Japan. This is my first post here.
Thank you for reading my e-mail on the air and your suggestions for importing games!

Regarding Secret of Evermore, I have a working Super Famicom to play on it! I'll give it a shot after Secret of Mana. (I play the games of former retroactive features as I clear backlog episodes.) I heard SNES games can be played on a Super Famicom if the shell is replaced with that of a Super Famicom cassette (and vice versa?).

Beyond Good and Evil, I'll check it out on XBLA. Speaking of XBLA, I downloaded SEQUENCE there, which Jonny recommended. It was ridiculously good.

Dead Space 1 and 2, I got to know them from some Western media and imported PS3 copies. They are popular here in Japan too, but it's very unlikely these games or sequels will be released in Japan because of dismemberment.

Exitebots, I've been interested in it since I heard many good things about it on RFN. I like this kind of crazy race game, but unfortunately this would be the most difficult one for me to play. Obviously this is because Wii is completely region-locked. I wonder why later Nintendo systems (i.e., GC, Wii and 3DS, and downloadable games too) are totally region-locked, unlike PS3 or 360. No one would be unhappy with region-free systems. Nintendo might make a small profit but would never lose any money without region lock. (Am I wrong?) And for that matter, few would have made all the fuss on Operation Rainfall.
Minoru Yamaizumi

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 12:35:04 PM »
I'll be interested to hear what you think of the Summer of Arcade titles, James, as both Bastion and From Dust are both going up on Steam imminently for £11, and I am torn over which one to buy.

As for future Smash Bros. characters, if I may weigh in...
For the obscure oldie spot: Geno
For the comedy character spot: Tom Nook
For the first villain spot: Ridley
For the second villain spot: King K. Rool
For the Japan-only spot: Starfy
For the old-school Nintendo-associated third-party spot: Mega Man
For the new-school Nintendo-associated third-party spot: Professor Layton

But yeah, the possibilities for stages and music are much larger. I mean, Brawl had a monumental soundtrack of over 300 songs, and there's still a huge, untapped well to take from.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 01:01:29 PM »
Hi, I'm Minoru, the writer of the listener mail from Japan. This is my first post here.
Thank you for reading my e-mail on the air and your suggestions for importing games!

Regarding Secret of Evermore, I have a working Super Famicom to play on it! I'll give it a shot after Secret of Mana. (I play the games of former retroactive features as I clear backlog episodes.) I heard SNES games can be played on a Super Famicom if the shell is replaced with that of a Super Famicom cassette (and vice versa?).

Beyond Good and Evil, I'll check it out on XBLA. Speaking of XBLA, I downloaded SEQUENCE there, which Jonny recommended. It was ridiculously good.

Dead Space 1 and 2, I got to know them from some Western media and imported PS3 copies. They are popular here in Japan too, but it's very unlikely these games or sequels will be released in Japan because of dismemberment.

Exitebots, I've been interested in it since I heard many good things about it on RFN. I like this kind of crazy race game, but unfortunately this would be the most difficult one for me to play. Obviously this is because Wii is completely region-locked. I wonder why later Nintendo systems (i.e., GC, Wii and 3DS, and downloadable games too) are totally region-locked, unlike PS3 or 360. No one would be unhappy with region-free systems. Nintendo might make a small profit but would never lose any money without region lock. (Am I wrong?) And for that matter, few would have made all the fuss on Operation Rainfall.
You could probably do the Homebrew Channnel like people here are doing for Xenoblade.  There is links to instruction somewhere on the forums.

So you going to play Killer 7 with us?

Offline motang

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 01:33:06 PM »
Another awesome show guys, I wanted to add to the 3DS advertising. Ever since after E3 I have seen one numerous sites (for example on Kotaku and the History Channel's website) ad banners where Nintendo is advertising the eShop and it is a pretty cool ad if I say so myself. It starts off by an icon (i.e. Excite Bike 3D) and then it zooms out and more icons are shown (other eShop games) and then it zooms out even more to reveal DSiware games. It's a cool ad, just hope there will more 3DS owners (especially now with the price drop) so that the eShop can become a viable platform.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 02:00:43 PM »
Another awesome show guys, I wanted to add to the 3DS advertising. Ever since after E3 I have seen one numerous sites (for example on Kotaku and the History Channel's website) ad banners where Nintendo is advertising the eShop and it is a pretty cool ad if I say so myself. It starts off by an icon (i.e. Excite Bike 3D) and then it zooms out and more icons are shown (other eShop games) and then it zooms out even more to reveal DSiware games. It's a cool ad, just hope there will more 3DS owners (especially now with the price drop) so that the eShop can become a viable platform.
Ironically I don't think I've seen that one on here.

Offline Kikori

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 02:03:12 PM »
You could probably do the Homebrew Channnel like people here are doing for Xenoblade.  There is links to instruction somewhere on the forums.

Thank you Ceric for your suggestion. I found an apparently practicable way to play North American Wii disks on my Japanese Wii.

To those who are playing Xenoblade, I'd strongly recommend Zangeki no Reginleiv (with a motion plus or Wii remote plus). It will make them hyped over Skyward Sword though their genres are not the same.

Yes, I'm gonna play Killer 7. It looks cool. But even today, a Japanese GC used copy thereof costs as expensive as 4900 yen (=63 bucks)!
Minoru Yamaizumi

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 03:10:43 PM »
Yes, I'm gonna play Killer 7. It looks cool. But even today, a Japanese GC used copy thereof costs as expensive as 4900 yen (=63 bucks)!
Um... Dang.  We can find it just the Disc for $4-6. hmmm....

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 03:25:03 PM »
You could probably do the Homebrew Channnel like people here are doing for Xenoblade.

Um, not that I want to start a big how-to discussion on how to install the homebrew channel, because I really don't, but....

Is it me, or is trying to install the homebrew channel really, really dicey?  Like many, I'm thinking about doing it for Xenoblade/LastStory/Pandora, but I found instructions on the web and this is really, really freakin complicated!  And I'm a fairly smart guy in regards to tech stuff, but there are like 20 steps involved, and I keep reading these long guides where they basically say "if you mess up even a single step, you may brick your Wii!"  And apparently the chance of ruining your Wii is quite high, since I see in the forum posts for these Wii homebrew sites lots of posts about people bricking their Wii's and panicking and asking people for advice on how to fix it.  And on top of that, everyone seems to suggest at least 5 completely different solutions, with the caveat "well, this MAY work."

Just reading up on how to do this has really, really turned me off to the prospect of doing it.  It makes me wonder if people hacking their Wii's is really that prevalent, and piracy is really that big a problem on the Wii.  I think most people, and in particular the vast majority of Wii owners, would lack either the time or technical know-how to hack their Wii. 
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2011, 03:54:16 PM »
5. Nintendo's "rules" about couches and hands and whatnot might be easy prey ... but that sh*t has worked and worked well!! You can't say those weren't smart moves! That's why the Wii was able to transcend stigmas of being a game device for hardcore nerds and caught on as a social device for everyone! That's how they overcame the typical graphical arms race!  The proof is in the puddin' ... Sony and MS have followed suit because it was a smart choice.

this makes no sense.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2011, 04:38:25 PM »
For the Japan-only spot: Starfy

Not Japan-only anymore, remember that last year Nintendo released The Legendary Starfy on DS outside of Japan.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20