Author Topic: Here there be ponies  (Read 134838 times)

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
Re: The "Maxi Is Just a Little Too Involved In My Little Ponies" thread
« Reply #175 on: March 09, 2012, 10:09:13 AM »
Maybe she just came back to warn present Twilight that someone will poison the coffee at 8 a.m. Then cryptically adds, "More instructions will follow. Cordially, Future Twilight."
 :P:
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 09, 2012, 10:11:39 AM »
Some people can't keep things civil in the thread.

I can only assume this is a shot at me for posting a college humor video.

Wow.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #177 on: March 09, 2012, 10:13:34 AM »
civil
funhouse

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #178 on: March 09, 2012, 10:31:24 AM »
Unclebob it isn't the fact that you posted it is the the content in the video. There is some things that are true like the Skrillex stuff and the Pinkie Pie and Rarity Tic tac toe stuff. The rest is a gross overgeneralization and stereotypical view of the whole Brony fanbase. That video was posted on EQD and it got nearly 500 comments.Most of the comments weren't positive.

I will say this though it isn't the worst I have seen about the fanbase. So there is that. I will say this though Unclebob thanks for contributing to the thread though in some manner though.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 09, 2012, 10:39:10 AM »
You know, I've seen videos and read comments about gamers that aren't any better than this video.

I don't get my tighty whites in a knot.  If it's funny, I laugh.  Otherwise, I move on.  I don't get upset about it and criticize it - and I don't see it as a reflection of myself.

Anyone who's genuinely upset by the College Humor video - well, I don't feel sorry for them at all.  If that's the worst thing they have to deal with in life, then they're pretty well set in life.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: March 09, 2012, 10:52:04 AM »
So, I found the post/thread on EQD about this.  Only read through the first 100 or so comments.  Seems kinds mixed, reaction wise.

This one caught my eye though -
they had a chance to make something original, creative, and entertaining, but no they went the boring cliche, half-assed way that failed to entertain.

If I was registered, I'd so reply with "... says the guy who watches My Little Pony"

If there's any show that can be accused of having boring, cliché characters, it's MLP.  I mean, wowza - put these ponies in Spandex and you'll almost have the original Power Rangers lineup.  Or the cast of just about any 80's back to school special.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #181 on: March 09, 2012, 10:59:40 AM »
I guess there is  a few things I have noticed in the fanbase since I have been since August. Since it encompases tons of people when we get behind something good or bad it can be hard to stop ourselves. By bad I mean something like the video you posted. We are kinda impatient and have to take action right away which falls into my other point.
We are like a Big Blue Wave* and it can be hard to stop. I will say this though the fanbase is very varied and well with this many people there is going to be differing opinions.
* I was trying to be clever with the wording here since that is one of the songs of a band called Hey Ocean! One of the voice actress of the show is in that band. She voices Apple Jack and Rainbow Dash.

As for your other point about the worst thing they have to deal with I have to agree that is true.

If you want to respond on the comments you just have to have a Google account or some type of other account listed in the comments.

If you would have done so Unclebob I am pretty sure you would have been flooded with comments that you were a hater. Season 2 is almost over so I don't know maybe you can watch it and form a better understanding of the characters.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 03:12:41 AM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 09, 2012, 11:09:52 AM »
To be fair, while they do have some cool pop culture/video game references on occasion...the show's target audience is young girls. Lots of college students watch To Gabba Gabba too, but that's mainly because of drugs.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 09, 2012, 11:43:25 AM »
If you would have done so Unclebob I am pretty sure you would have been flooded with comments that you were a hater.

Probably.  And they wouldn't be more wrong.

I don't "hate" the show.  It's just... there.  I don't hate Spongebob or FOP.  If there's nothing else on and I'm bored, I'll even watch an episode or two.  It's not like Glee, American Idol, or something that makes me want to jab my eyeballs and eardurms with pointy things.

But on the "not bad" descriptor is the disclaimer that it's "not good" either.  As mentioned before, there are so many shows that have been done (even in animation, even in animation aimed at kids) that can do the 30-minute time slot so much more justice.

Hell, even Batman Beyond - in spite of the fact it is filled with clichéd characters everywhere, in spite of the fact that it was generally self-contained, 30-minute episodes, in spite of the fact that it had the occasional "after-school special" feel-good episodes (don't do drugs, don't be a bully, don't have a robot lover created and try to trick everyone into thinking she's real), and in spite of the fact it was aimed at younger audiences - it still managed to do some pretty awesome things, story-wise (which eventually lead to the awesome creation that was Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker).

I don't *hate* the show.  I just don't think it's anywhere near the top when it comes to television shows of any genre (unless you count "animated shows about ponies" as a genre, then, I suppose, I'll put it at the top, just under Spirit).

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #184 on: March 09, 2012, 12:47:38 PM »
Yeah I get that but if you just wrote that with out any context or any other introduction into the community about your background into the show that is what it would look like to them. Your comment about the College Humor video.

Thing is with this show there is essentially 2 fanbases. The younger girl audience and the Bronys. Its hard to cater to both groups as you may imagine. I will say this Hasbro has done a great job handling both fanbases.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 12:57:53 PM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 09, 2012, 01:02:41 PM »
They air the show because Hasbro owns 50% of the HUB.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #186 on: March 09, 2012, 01:17:12 PM »
Yep that's true Brandogg. Most of the franchises on the Hub are Hasbro brands with some exceptions.

Anyway as some of you know I am on twitter and I follow Tara Strong who voices Twilight Sparkle on the show and keeping in the theme of the upcoming episode I thought I would post some stuff from Tara's Twitter. Here is her most recent tweet.For those that don't know she likes messing around with us and it is a kinda back and forth thing.

Hi. I just sent a voice message using VocalTwit! http://srv.vocaltwit.com/3502

And here is what the Bronys did with that.

http://soundcloud.com/scootalootacris/twilight-licious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wblE8YYLyQ0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz__P-NCLbM

And here is her response to those.

http://khu.sh/songify_4f5a5d8f92bf2

New tweet from Tara.

Hi, my name is Tara...& I'm a Brony..

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 03:38:12 PM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #187 on: March 09, 2012, 08:53:26 PM »
Well for something completely different.

Pinkie Pie Hacks Google!

No I haven't lost it at least not completely. That may not sound right without some context behind it.

Basically there was a Google hacker contest to test vernabilities behind Chrome and to repair them. The guy that won the contest went by the name of Pinkie Pie.

Here is the article on it.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/teenager-hacks-google-chrome-with-three-0day-vulnerabilities/10649

Basically the guy is passing the info on to google instead of passing it along to other people who would have used it for really bad uses.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
It's About Time
« Reply #188 on: March 10, 2012, 02:04:56 PM »
Well I just finished watching the episode and I thought it was funny and it is similar to the other Twilight episode this season which is great. Tara Strong is a great actress and does a great job voicing Twilight in this episode. There is some great nods to mythology in this episode among other things. Oh the 480p is up on youtube now if you want to watch it.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 01:38:13 PM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 10, 2012, 10:26:28 PM »
Maxi, you talk as if the MLP fandom is completely unique in how you described it. Guess what? You just described any major fandom for any other show or movie in existance. Avatar: The Last Airbender, Star Wars, Star Trek, Sherlock, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Fringe, Teen Titans, etc etc etc. Bronies are in no way unique.

It also bothers me that you speak for the fandom like you're Legion or something.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #190 on: March 11, 2012, 05:39:47 AM »
Gonna have to be more specific Oblivion. What aspect of the bronys are you talking about?

Also no one else around here is into the fan base is into the fandom as much as I am as far as I can tell so I kinda have let you guys know about it. I haven't really heard anybody else talk about how into the fan base they are.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 06:47:26 AM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #191 on: March 11, 2012, 02:34:55 PM »
Here is the episode follow up from EQD. If you haven't seen the episode yet I suggest you do so before you click the link since there is some spoilers.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/03/episode-followup-its-about-time.html
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 11, 2012, 05:07:11 PM »
I guess there is  a few things I have noticed in the fanbase since I have been since August. Since it encompases tons of people when we get behind something good or bad it can be hard to stop ourselves. By bad I mean something like the video you posted. We are kinda impatient and have to take action right away which falls into my other point.
We are like a Big Blue Wave and it can be hard to stop. I will say this though the fanbase is very varied and well with this many people there is going to be differing opinions
Stuff like this. You talk as if the Brony fandom is some unstoppable force that will never be stopped.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #193 on: March 11, 2012, 07:00:15 PM »
We are like a Big Blue Wave and it can be hard to stop. I will say this though the fanbase is very varied and well with this many people there is going to be differing opinions
Stuff like this. You talk as if the Brony fandom is some unstoppable force that will never be stopped.

Taking things out of context. I mean it is hard to stop itself when it gets going. It is a double edged sword. Plus it can be a great thing when put towards the right stuff. Also I was referencing a song. Double meanings for the win!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 03:14:47 AM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #194 on: March 11, 2012, 07:04:57 PM »
It was a funny episode but the Equestrian holocaust was kind of a disappointment

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #195 on: March 13, 2012, 01:30:04 PM »
Yeah I found the episode funny as well and I liked the ending to it. It basically came down to down't get so over worried about something you don't have any control over and just take things as they come. 

Anyway yesterday was pretty fun. Tara Strong wanted to try to Trend #Twilightlicious on twitter worldwide but it didn't work I think I was tweeting for about 6 hours or so. I did see Power Puff Girls up there for a bit which Tara voices Bubbles so there is that.I think the only thing we trended on Twitter was #SaveDerpy a few weeks back.

Anyway that isn't why I am here posting. I am here for this. It is a Pony RPG called
Adventure of the Lunarbolts.

and

« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 01:36:01 PM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Glad0s

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Reagan's Music Reviews
« Reply #196 on: March 17, 2012, 10:09:48 PM »
OK, so I have a question. Maybe Maxi can help me out here. Why is it that MLP is popular among gamers in their mid 20s over other series that seem to fit the bill more, like say, Regular Show or Adventure Time?  Those are both (arguably) children's shows that include interesting characters, and loads of references to other media (i.e. video games), which are both things that fans of MLP (including Maxi) cite as some of the main reasons they enjoy the show. So, why has MLP caught on in the online community over other shows?
"Isn't Karl like Mexican or something"

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 17, 2012, 10:31:34 PM »
Testosterone?

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #198 on: March 17, 2012, 11:19:18 PM »
OK, so I have a question. Maybe Maxi can help me out here. Why is it that MLP is popular among gamers in their mid 20s over other series that seem to fit the bill more, like say, Regular Show or Adventure Time?  Those are both (arguably) children's shows that include interesting characters, and loads of references to other media (i.e. video games), which are both things that fans of MLP (including Maxi) cite as some of the main reasons they enjoy the show. So, why has MLP caught on in the online community over other shows?
I haven't watched either of those shows so I can't exactly compare MLP with Adventure Time and Regular Show but there is fans of MLP that are fans of Adventure Time. I will watch both in a little while to give you a more fuller answer but for now here is response to this. Maybe I will go watch the message forums to get an idea on the community side of both shows.

I think it has do do with the message behind the show. Quite frankly ever since 2008 on this forum and other places related to Nintendo well the negativity on forums and gaming sites in general haven't been to positive to say the least. I wouldn't say that the show was created for us gamers in mind but for me that it relates to me more positively is a plus in my book. Plus I think that gamers in general like to do mods and stuff and there is a lot of content from the show that can be expanded on and Hasbro has let things go till now so there is lots of fan projects. Gamers like to flex their creative muscle so that may be one of the reasons why the show has been embraced as much as it has among many.

I will look into the fanbase of Adventure Time and Regular Show and the episodes but I'll edit this post later with my response to those shows in comparison to MLP:FIM.

Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #199 on: March 18, 2012, 04:04:33 PM »
Still going to edit that post above with my thoughts but I haven't finished the first season yet of Adventure Time yet. I'm on episode 22.

Anyway here is EGD's Episode Follow up of Dragon Quest. http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/03/dragon-quest-episode-followup.html

Alexis, she/her/Miss