Author Topic: Here there be ponies  (Read 134845 times)

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
Re: The "Maxi Is Just a Little Too Involved In My Little Ponies" thread
« Reply #125 on: February 21, 2012, 08:33:21 PM »

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #126 on: February 21, 2012, 08:53:57 PM »
me too but no way in hell am I joining the chat
They disabled the chat since there is almost 4,000 viewers. There was 2,000 viewers even before they started the stream.It was lagging the stream. Everyone was chatting at once and it was messing up the stream.They just opened the chat......Its crazy!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 08:57:56 PM by Maxi »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 21, 2012, 09:16:46 PM »
Just to be clear, the name change to the thread wasn't personal - I just thought it was funny.

Now he needs a new title to go with it.

Maxi
Free Brony rides. Saddle optional.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #128 on: February 21, 2012, 09:22:05 PM »
whack your frosting filled pony rod into my party button

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #129 on: February 21, 2012, 09:46:55 PM »
Wow I am being volunteered new titles. I don't know what to say.

Anyway. I gotta say that the live stream was great and at this point Pinkie Pie is looking to be pretty fun to use and seems pretty easy to use and my main stile of fighting that I like to use at least control wise. Mane 6 will be putting the stream up on their youtube so I'll put it here and in the fighting game thread when it is up. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 09:57:54 PM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #130 on: February 21, 2012, 09:47:54 PM »
Bronies before honies
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 22, 2012, 08:31:03 AM »
Just to be clear, the name change to the thread wasn't personal - I just thought it was funny.

Now he needs a new title to go with it.

Maxi
Free Brony rides. Saddle optional.

+1

If your horny, let's do it, ride it, my pony.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 24, 2012, 12:03:54 AM »

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #133 on: February 24, 2012, 02:16:55 PM »
Wow so much love in this topic its so great. Mane 6 hasn't uploaded the stream yet to youtube. I am guessing that they are trying to get rid of the lag from the videos that was on the stream and that is what is causing the hold up. You can watch it on their site in the meantime.

Anyway this was tweeted by I believe he is the director of the show now yesterday.

http://www.dailydot.com/society/bronies-brony-my-little-pony-study/

Few small excerpts from the article.

Neither researcher could have anticipated what happened next. In the months that followed, each began to sympathize with the kind, friendship-loving brony community. In turn, the community has rewarded them with a front-row seat to brony culture as it is created. Said Edwards:

“Rarely have scientists had the opportunity to study a fan phenomenon from its inception. We’re using this survey to study the brony community from the beginning and see how it’s evolving."
;
Redden, who does not watch the show, said she thinks both researchers’ clinical backgrounds, which include adolescent therapy, have prepared them to be open minded. After several months of studying bronies, she doesn’t think, based on scientific evidence, that the group is as weird as they’re made out to be by some.
“We really do regard ourselves as scientists first and foremost, and we have a duty to report what this is without a lot of bias,” she told the Daily Dot. “But what we’re seeing isn’t as bizarre or strange as people think.”
Instead, Redden believes that the fandom is a normal response to the anxiety of life in a conflict-driven time, she said.

“In general the media has not been kind to bronies, especially Fox News,” Redden said. “One of the Fox people even mentioned drug use, which has absolutely nothing to do with any part of the culture. We know the media wants a character, but we get frustrated because that’s not an accurate representation.”
Edwards hopes the media will learn from the study’s objective example, he said.

“I think if and when media makes a more positive presentation, bronies will come out speak openly about their experiences.”

They also plan on publishing their findings and also getting a book out there in the future eventually. I gotta say that this is pretty cool.

Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 24, 2012, 02:48:25 PM »
Nearly 150 posts in... and I still don't get it.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #135 on: February 24, 2012, 02:51:41 PM »
I guess the better question to ask is have you gone into the fandom any? I mean browsed any sites dedicated to the fandom because most of this stuff here isn't really that deep into the show and the fandom to be honest.I mean I can talk my ear off about all this but I guess if you don't connect with it right way then you may have to do some digging yourself.

Here is the Fighting is Magic videos.

Part 1 of the live stream is up of the Fighting is Magic game from the other day. Parts 2 and 3 are being uploaded currently as I type this. I'll either edit this post or put the next parts down below any comments I get from this one.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 11:19:45 PM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #136 on: February 25, 2012, 05:39:51 PM »
Well there is lots of stuff going on in the Brony Community right now if you don't care about it I won't get it into it if you do I will let you guys know.  In the meantime here is a mashup of the Smile song and the Rainbow Road song I believe it is the N64 version of the track of Rainbow Road.

Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #137 on: February 25, 2012, 10:41:01 PM »
Nearly 150 posts in... and I still don't get it.

Okay I think I may have thought of an explanation that is reliable enough for you so you might get it so you may get it. So just try to roll along with me

You are a Nintendo only gamer like myself. The people who make the show are comprised of people in the animation field that are basically the best in their field at what they do. To take it back to gaming. They are the Nintendo of their field. Nintendo makes pretty great games and compared to most of the stuff on the Wii they are pretty solid. Most "girls shows" out there is okay on their own merits but the quality of this show is levels above the rest.

Okay now you are most likely asking why guys like it since it is a show about ponies and isn't really directed at us. For me personally it is the reliable characters and the references in the show. This show has tons of references in visual as well as audio cues and thematic as well although that last one you have to dig a little deeper for. As most of you know I am not really assertive and direct so I could relate with one of the characters in the show.  You know how you can relate to characters in a video game and get caught up in the story. Its like that. 

The other part I like is the music both the background and the songs. Both are done well. A lot of the references in the show are done by the background music and the background sets the mood as well. It is kinda like how in Mario the music sets the tempo for the stage and Mario's voice is telling the tale of what you are doing. Also bring things back to the animation. The music and animation sync very well together. Great example was the Smile Song. Someone did a breakdown of the song and the animation and posted it on youtube. Basically what I am saying is that you can use this show to get better at making animation.Something which is important in the video game field.

Finally one last thing which isn't directly related to the show but with the creators of the show is how open they are with the community. If I could draw a parallel to Nintendo it would be their customer service.

Also you mentioned that you watched some episodes Unclebob in the OP post. Which ones did you watch?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 25, 2012, 11:10:15 PM »
The people who make the show are comprised of people in the animation field that are basically the best in their field at what they do.

That's debatable. I checked which company does the animation, and to put it simply they are not the best in the field even if you just include animation for TV. Although I do have to say that they do present a clean and fluid animation to their work, but that's not the main reason that someone should have to like this show. Content is the most important. Some will like it, some won't, some more than others, etc.

I've tried watching it. It's not within my taste, but I'm not going to try and understand why I don't watch it. You don't always need an answer for everything.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #139 on: February 25, 2012, 11:19:23 PM »
You are a Nintendo only gamer like myself. The people who make the show are comprised of people in the animation field that are basically the best in their field at what they do. To take it back to gaming. They are the Nintendo of their field. Nintendo makes pretty great games and compared to most of the stuff on the Wii they are pretty solid.

applejack, what are you doing? you can't eat all those fucking apples

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #140 on: February 25, 2012, 11:50:20 PM »
The people who make the show are comprised of people in the animation field that are basically the best in their field at what they do.

That's debatable. I checked which company does the animation, and to put it simply they are not the best in the field even if you just include animation for TV. Although I do have to say that they do present a clean and fluid animation to their work, but that's not the main reason that someone should have to like this show. Content is the most important. Some will like it, some won't, some more than others, etc.

I've tried watching it. It's not within my taste, but I'm not going to try and understand why I don't watch it. You don't always need an answer for everything.

It seems I need to be corrected the people that do most of the Animation is Top Draw Animation. DHX Media Vancover (AKA Studio B) does most of the other stuff. I guess my point was that the whole is more then the sum of the parts which is great since the parts are already so great. 

Caliban that's all I ask. Give it a try if you don't like it then there wasn't really no harm done. If you turn out liking it well then I get to welcome someone to the fandom. Looking at the chart I posted a few pages back it looks like you are a Rarity. You gave it a try but it isn't your thing.

S-U-P-E-R why are you referencing Brony videos if you are not into the show?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #141 on: February 25, 2012, 11:57:35 PM »
S-U-P-E-R why are you referencing Brony videos if you are not into the show?
I am a little too invested into internet culture

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 26, 2012, 12:09:44 AM »
Also you mentioned that you watched some episodes Unclebob in the OP post. Which ones did you watch?

I watched the entire first season (the second season hadn't started yet).  Since then, I've watched a few handfuls of season 2 episodes.

I still just don't get it.

It's an /okay/ show.  It just doesn't do it for me.  The characters are pretty flat and clichĂ©.  One-trick ponies, if you will.  Virtually every episode I watched seemed like a predictable after-school special.  In the 80's, something like this would have fit in pretty well - but storytelling in animation has gone far, far beyond the simple one-off, lesson of the day episodes that I've seen in MLP.  Even children's animation has evolved beyond this.  Sure, you've got your Spongebobs and such - but look at shows like the 90's X-Men or Batman: The Animated Series.  Mufti-episode plots and themes, character development, real emotion.  More recent shows have gone even further - look at Avatar: The Last Airbender - this show was so engrossing that MY WIFE actually got into it and watched every single episode with me (after making fun of me for it... heh).  Even when you know how it's going to end, there's a real sense of actual danger when the characters find themselves in a bad situation... while Aang and Co. aren't going to perish, there was a handful of characters who did die through the series.  And who didn't want to see Aang and Katara get together?  And Sokka's love life was something to follow.  Meanwhile, did anyone really care about Cheerilee and Big Macintosh getting together?

If you're looking for light-hearted entertainment with no commitment to story or characters, then MLP is probably going to be something to interest you.  It just doesn't do it for me.  That's what FOX's Sunday night line up is for for me. :D

If you like the show, then fine.  Heck, buy a figure or two - maybe even the DVDs (are there DVDs?)... I can understand that.  But I sure don't get the complete and total obsession that some folks have with the show.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #143 on: February 26, 2012, 12:19:23 AM »
maybe even the DVDs (are there DVDs?)...

Sorta. Target got an exclusive release that had 2 episodes and was bundled with some MLP toys. On Tuesday Shout! Factory will release a DVD that contains 5 episodes (3 from season 1 and 2 from season 2).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #144 on: February 26, 2012, 01:51:28 AM »
Okay well I guess I can see it from that point of view if you just take it from the stand point of just having one episode standing on its own Unclebob. I guess if you look at it from a stand point of past character interactions and then see how they interact in future episodes then it does work a bit more in its favor. As for the Cheerilee and Big Macintosh type thing there was kinda an uproar about it since it broke the Big Mac and Fluttershy pairing but well that the fan base created. There is a lot of canon and fanon conflict but well that's kinda to be expected with a fan base this big.

Anyway if you seen the entire first season and still aren't hooked well I guess you aren't going to get hooked. I guess I will mark you are a Rarity and a little Rainbow Dash on the list from a few posts back.

Also I think the Fandom is more what interests me. Yes the show is great and excellent but the Fandom is the main draw. The show is kinda a bonus.

TJ Spike I just checked Equestria Daily and K Mart actually got the DVD in early today so which is is kinda surprising. I guess I will have to see if there are any tomorrow left over. The DVD I am talking about is the new one. The Friendship Express.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 05:25:37 PM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #145 on: February 27, 2012, 02:37:14 PM »
From what I heard, the Happy Meal toys at McDonald's throughout March will include keychains from this show, supposedly of the major characters.

So if you see grown men getting into violent fist fights at McDonald's over who is "the best pony", you'll know.

By the by, I don't hate the show; I just don't care for it. Indifference and hatred are two different things, Internet!  ;)
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #146 on: February 27, 2012, 03:07:34 PM »
Where did you hear that FZeroBoyo? The toy thing I mean.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #147 on: February 27, 2012, 03:39:11 PM »
Maxi which one is your favorite pony? :3

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #148 on: February 27, 2012, 05:35:12 PM »
I could have sworn I mentioned it a few times in this thread but I like Fluttershy my favorite right now. I like them all but after every few episodes or so the rankings may change a bit. Here is my current for the Mane 6. Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie,Apple Jack, Twilight Sparkle, Rarity and then Rainbow Dash. Before the Apple Jack episodes this season she was at the bottom but she jumped up to 3 since before this season she didn't really have much development for her character. So essentually the list is always changing as the episodes are coming out but I think unless something really dramatic happens that unsits Fluttershy up top I think she will be up top for a while. She also has 2 episodes this season which I am happy about. I relate to Fluttershy the most if that is your next question.

So I don't know if I should post this since there doesn't seem to be that many people into the fandom as I am but I figure maybe it wouldn't hurt.

Saberspark has put up the voting video for February and the top 10 videos of the month. Basically yes you are going to have to look around for some pony videos to decide on. Probably the best way to do this is either go copy and paste some of the votes on the video itself and watch them or you can go to EquestriaDaily.com and then click the media tab and then scroll through the pages. Look for Simple PMV,PMV, Pony trailers, and sometimes the videos will have their own posts.  Oh here is the voting video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d34AmSrSPpk&context=C33c585aADOEgsToPDskIVxYkRLxLMF6kdXUzozlgZ
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 27, 2012, 05:43:38 PM »
You spend a lot of time with horses in real life, Maxi? Go riding much?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 05:49:38 PM by ShyGuy »