Author Topic: Yoshi's Island DS  (Read 7675 times)

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Yoshi's Island DS
« on: November 16, 2006, 08:10:12 AM »
WHAT?  There isn't even a single topic (except for some "new movies of Chibi Robo and Yoshi's Island) on this game.  It's out, is it not?  Has anyone played it?

I will have to get this game sooner or later, but because of Wii it might wind up being later.  I've seen that reviews are ranging anywhere from "awesome sequel we've been waiting for" to "meh".  The review I trust the most, IGN, suggests that it's a faithful sequel but fails to surprise enough.  Sounds good enough to me.

Opinions, please!
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
RE: Yoshi's Island DS
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 08:38:10 AM »
I've ordered it, but it won't be delivered until the end of the month because I ordered it with some other stuff to get free shipping.  It caught me off guard, too.  I saw part of a commercial on TV, but I didn't pay attention to the release date.

This probably won't be the only game to disappear in all the PS3 and Wii hype.  We must be vigilant.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 09:59:55 AM »
I have this on my birthday/Christmas list.  My birthday being sooner I hope I get it then.

The general opinion seems to be that it's a good game, it's just really derivative.  I think that's kind of a shame but Yoshi's Island is one of my favourite games of all time so having more of it is still pretty damn awesome.  I guess it's better that Artoon played it safe and got a good game out of it instead of getting in over their head and releasing a turd.

Offline hudsonhawk

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 10:04:13 AM »
I'm thinking about it.  I'm definitely picking up a game on my way home from work tonight - I'm deciding between this, Children of Mana, FF3 (very much not convinced I'll enjoy a hard-core old-school RPG), Mario Hoops, and, of all things, Tony Hawk Downhill Jam.

It's nice to have quality options on the system again.  Good games have been coming out at a ferocious pace in the last 2 months.

The only thing holding me back from getting it is my disappointment in the New Super Mario Bros.  It's soured me a little on 2d platformers.  This could either reawaken my love for them or do nothing for me.  I'm not sure yet.

I've never played the original so I'm not to worried about the derivativeness.

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 10:12:25 AM »
I never got into the original all that much (I personally always liked SMW better), so I think I might skip this one.
GOREGASM!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 10:17:18 AM »
I'll pick it up after I finish Castlevania PoR.

The problem is it's just going to remind me how much I want Yoshi's Island for the VC.

I haven't really been paying much attention to this game (mainly because I know I'll probably get it anyway); is there any touch screen functionality (a kin to shooting eggs in Touch N Go) or is it all D-pad and buttons?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 10:55:38 AM »
I have it, it's awesome...

(So far, all D-pad + buttons...)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
RE:Yoshi's Island DS
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 03:14:26 PM »
I've made a couple low-quality videos for everyone's enjoyment, which can be found here and here...It's perfect Yoshi's Island fun!

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 03:28:18 PM »
Bah, they stuck Yoshi's stupid baby-ish voice in the game.
GOREGASM!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 03:37:02 PM »
More like the best voice ever!  Insulting Yoshi sounds = punishable by death...

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 05:29:16 PM »
I think they kinda messed up Yoshi's character with Yoshi's Story.  Before then, Yoshi seemed more like an adult to me.  Yoshi's Island in particular made Yoshi seem rather intelligent.  Then there was Yoshi's Story, and they turned Yoshi into a goofy baby, and now they're using that everywhere.
GOREGASM!

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 01:44:34 AM »
I've played the first two stages  in level 1.  then went back to Final Fantasy III.  What I played of YI2 I liked, and will go back soon. =D
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2006, 05:15:02 AM »
"I think they kinda messed up Yoshi's character with Yoshi's Story. Before then, Yoshi seemed more like an adult to me. Yoshi's Island in particular made Yoshi seem rather intelligent. Then there was Yoshi's Story, and they turned Yoshi into a goofy baby, and now they're using that everywhere."

Agreed.  It seems to be a Nintendo rule that if they make a change to a franchise that really sucks it sticks for all eternity.  Yoshi is an obvious example.  Another example is the DK Rap which for some reason has reappeared in SSBM.  Another example is Star Fox which has forever been tainted by Star Fox Adventures.  Krystal should have NEVER been in any other Star Fox game.  Nintendo should just acknowledge that sometimes they make a sh!tty game and that game should just be conveniently forgotten about.  Yoshi's Story should just be quietly removed from Mario canon.  It's not like Mario has a tight story that would be affected by past games being ignored.

I'll live with the voice like I live with Mario's stupid voice but it will hurt my enjoyment of the game somewhat.  I much prefer the "yeah-uh" sound used in Super Mario World.

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 07:14:03 AM »
The irony is that Yoshi's Story was supposed to be about Baby Yoshis, but then they kind of kept that design for all Yoshis.  That said, I like Yoshi's voice.  It's cute.  In fact I like the voices for most of the Mario characters, except Bowser and Peach.  Interestingly, those are the two that changed actors from the N64 to GameCube.  Which just goes to show that my tolerance for change started disappearing somewhere during the N64 era instead of before.

Edit: I really wanted to pick this game up today, but I need every penny for Wii, since I don't have any PS3s to make me rich, rich, RICH!

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 08:00:39 AM »
"The irony is that Yoshi's Story was supposed to be about Baby Yoshis, but then they kind of kept that design for all Yoshis."

This reminds of something else that Yoshi's Story introduced I didn't care for.  Every Yoshi is named Yoshi.  Huh?  In Super Mario World I just assumed that Yoshi was the dinosaur's name.  Though there are multiple dinosaurs in the game so that might not have been a good assumption.  But in Super Mario RPG one Yoshi is named Boshi.  So what does that mean?  Every Yoshi is named Yoshi except for one Yoshi named Boshi?  Little screwups like that drive me nuts.  It would be much easier if the species was called Yoshi and the green dude was named Yoshi (kind of like Mario Mario) and then other Yoshis had different names.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2006, 09:24:52 AM »
"Every Yoshi is named Yoshi except for one Yoshi named Boshi? Little screwups like that drive me nuts."

Everything seems to drive you nuts...I'm glad I'm not your roommate!

"I HAVE LINT ON MY CLOTHES!"
"Well, take it off..."
"BUT, LINT!  SO ANGRY!"

Yoshi is Yoshi, this is hardly an issue...I don't go to sleep at night wondering why all the Yoshis are called Yoshi...

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
RE:Yoshi's Island DS
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2006, 10:30:51 AM »

(c) 1993 Nintendo of America.

P.S. Has anyone ever read "Even a Monkey can Draw Manga"?  It's co-written by one of the guys who worked on Super Mario Bros. Adventures and it sounds hilarious.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2006, 11:29:12 AM »
"I don't go to sleep at night wondering why all the Yoshis are called Yoshi..."

Neither do I.  HOW COULD I FALL ASLEEP WITH THIS PRESSING ISSUE ON MY MIND?!!  Insomnia since 1997 or 98 or whatever the hell year it was!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2006, 12:35:08 PM »
I have the game, it's pretty decent. If you really enjoyed Yoshi's Island (which I'm sure you did), then you'll definitely want to play this game, at least somewhere down the road. No watermelon seeds and no tripping on LSD filled cottonballs = retarded, though.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2006, 02:44:34 PM »
Yoshi is the best Nintendo character ever, aside from Link and Zelda.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2006, 06:08:20 PM »

Every Yoshi is named Yoshi except for one Yoshi named Boshi? Little screwups like that drive me nuts.
It's a Square game..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2006, 04:49:20 AM »
"no tripping on LSD filled cottonballs = retarded, though."

I don't mind that.  Part of what makes Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy great is that it's so unique.  It isn't something I would want to see repeated in several games.  I would prefer to have something as unique and different as it that gives me that same "this is so cool" feeling the first time I played it.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2006, 05:24:28 AM »
I guess so, but they could have added a level with heroin syringes flying at you from all angles or something, and you would slow way down. They could call it heroin time instead of bullet time (aren't bullets usually flying pretty fast, btw?) - I just think the blatant drug abuse in Yoshi's Island is funny.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2006, 05:42:15 AM »
"I just think the blatant drug abuse in Yoshi's Island is funny."

Does it count as drug abuse if it's accidental?  Yoshi quite clearly isn't abusing drugs, he's just made accidental contact with a creature that cause hallucinogenic effects.  It's like if you ate some strange mushrooms because you were hungry and thought they were food.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2006, 06:01:23 AM »

It's like if you ate some strange mushrooms because you were hungry and thought they were food.
This happens more often than you think.

I totally need to pick up this game.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!