Author Topic: So nobody likes GameStop?  (Read 242430 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: So nobody likes GameStop?
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2009, 11:13:20 AM »
thatguy if you opened a GameStop and attempted to run it like you described, corporate would take your store away from you.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2009, 02:37:43 PM »
Hahahahaha, the idiots introduced the optional warranty here. I bought some DS games and got asked if I wanted a warranty on them, I told him anything that breaks these isn't covered by warranty anyway.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2009, 02:51:57 PM »
EB Games was so much better than GameStop, even after the buyout before they adopted GameStop's policies and pricing. That's where I got a lot of my Nintendo 64 games because they almost always had better prices than eBay, and they didn't keep their games locked in a glass case like GameStop so I could inspect them before buying. I also bought up a lot of N64 controllers from them because they were only $8.

There was one strange incident involving GameStop I remember. I had just gotten home with a handful of N64 games I had scooped up at GameStop, and I was testing them all to see if they worked. When I popped in WWF Attitude, I was stunned when the title screen read "Bomberman 64". Someone must have swapped the chips and housed Bomberman 64 inside of the WWF Attitude cartridge... though I can't think of why somebody would do this. It wasn't the only one in the lot which was like this either: Madden Football 64 was actually Battle Zone! :-\

Only at GameStop...

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2009, 03:10:06 PM »
EB Games was so much better than GameStop, even after the buyout before they adopted GameStop's policies and pricing. That's where I got a lot of my Nintendo 64 games because they almost always had better prices than eBay, and they didn't keep their games locked in a glass case like GameStop so I could inspect them before buying. I also bought up a lot of N64 controllers from them because they were only $8.

There was one strange incident involving GameStop I remember. I had just gotten home with a handful of N64 games I had scooped up at GameStop, and I was testing them all to see if they worked. When I popped in WWF Attitude, I was stunned when the title screen read "Bomberman 64". Someone must have swapped the chips and housed Bomberman 64 inside of the WWF Attitude cartridge... though I can't think of why somebody would do this. It wasn't the only one in the lot which was like this either: Madden Football 64 was actually Battle Zone! :-\

Only at GameStop...

Oh wow, personally I think EB and Gamestop were equally bad. I miss Funcoland, that was the best store ever.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2009, 03:17:07 PM »
I don't know which Funcoland YOU visited, but the one which was near me charged an extra $5 or $10 more than MSRP on just about everything.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2009, 04:24:47 PM »
EB sucked too, they charged like $70 for Mortal Kombat 2 when it was released for SNES/Genesis.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2009, 05:00:50 PM »
Funcoland brings back memories.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2009, 03:47:10 AM »
I support my local Gamestop with no regrets. They are awesome people there and have always treated me well, whether it was Scott the manager or Amanda the assistant manager. Both are honest people and have always been straight with me.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2009, 04:20:49 AM »
Sounds like the one I liked in Portland, GP. I went to several different GameStops in the area when I looked for deals (and when I was Wii hunting) and there was one where the employees always went above and beyond the call of awesomeness (and duty). Half of the other store's employees seemed like they were missing half of their brains and/or their manners.

Though I think my favorite Portland place to get games was the Fred Meyers. There was a Wii fan there and some of the other electronics workers were 'HD/360' type gamers but they were still respectful of my decision to go with Wii and we openly talked about it.

The GameCrazy next to Fred Meyer was also pretty cool.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2009, 05:20:20 AM »
Sounds like the one I liked in Portland, GP. I went to several different GameStops in the area when I looked for deals (and when I was Wii hunting) and there was one where the employees always went above and beyond the call of awesomeness (and duty). Half of the other store's employees seemed like they were missing half of their brains and/or their manners.

Though I think my favorite Portland place to get games was the Fred Meyers. There was a Wii fan there and some of the other electronics workers were 'HD/360' type gamers but they were still respectful of my decision to go with Wii and we openly talked about it.

The GameCrazy next to Fred Meyer was also pretty cool.

I enjoyed getting games from my local Fred Meyer but for some reason they've been really slow in getting new games in.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2009, 11:32:09 AM »
Working at Gamestop sucks because of the ultra-shitty customers you need to deal with.

You basically HAVE to love games to work there, otherwise there's no reason to put up with the endless flow of angry, ignorant, belligerent customers. You spend most of your days dealing with white trash trying to haggle prices that are set in stone, mothers who drop their bratty kids off at the store to play with the demo stations and never buy anything and angry parents who are convinced that Mario is, in fact, on the Xbox and that their knowledge on the subject supersedes yours.

Not to mention the alleged "hardcore" gamer nerd who comes in just to mock the store and its employees.

I can't say I agree with their corporate practices and I believe that digital distribution will ultimately be the death knell of the company, but still, if you work at Gamestop, you must be there because you at least love games. There's no way in hell you'd put up with all of the **** otherwise.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 11:34:05 AM by Smash_Brother »
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2009, 08:04:26 PM »
This is why I avoid Gamestop at all costs.  I can't stand the employees OR the customers.  My hell is being locked in a Gamestop for eternity, surrounded by screaming toddlers, white trash parents, and hardcore gamer nerds that know more than anyone about everything.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2009, 08:20:18 PM »
Sounds like a Robot Chicken episode.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2009, 09:18:23 PM »
you work at Gamestop, you must be there because you at least love games. There's no way in hell you'd put up with all of the **** otherwise.
You might be surprised what some people put up with. If someone had no other choice I'm sure they'd rather work at GameStop than not have a job. I can say this with certainty because some GameStops near me have employees of whom I KNOW don't like gaming.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 09, 2009, 09:29:11 PM »
you work at Gamestop, you must be there because you at least love games. There's no way in hell you'd put up with all of the **** otherwise.
You might be surprised what some people put up with. If someone had no other choice I'm sure they'd rather work at GameStop than not have a job. I can say this with certainty because some GameStops near me have employees of whom I KNOW don't like gaming.

I think Mop_it_up, me and Athena should all store a gaming store.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 09, 2009, 09:31:12 PM »
The start-up costs of opening a gaming store would be pretty minimal because I already own almost enough games to stock it!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 09, 2009, 09:34:15 PM »
The start-up costs of opening a gaming store would be pretty minimal because I already own almost enough games to stock it!

You know I'd love to start a girl gamer themed store. That could be lots of fun. Not sure if the market is there but it could definitely be researched!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 09, 2009, 09:58:52 PM »

You know I'd love to start a girl gamer themed store. That could be lots of fun. Not sure if the market is there but it could definitely be researched!

Seriously, exactly what would make a "girl gamer themed" game store any different from a general "gamer themed" game store?  What, would you paint the store pink and focus on selling the full lineup of Ubisoft's "-z" franchise?

Note: that last bit was sarcastic, in case that wasn't obvious.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2009, 10:00:54 PM »

Seriously, exactly what would make a "girl gamer themed" game store any different from a general "gamer themed" game store?  What, would you paint the store pink and focus on selling the full lineup of Ubisoft's "-z" franchise?

Note: that last bit was sarcastic, in case that wasn't obvious.

Well for one, you wouldn't be allowed in. That would be my first innovation.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2009, 10:03:02 PM »
This would only work in L.A. or New York.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 09, 2009, 10:08:37 PM »
This would only work in L.A. or New York.

Lindy Luthor would be banned as well!

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #96 on: August 09, 2009, 10:09:46 PM »
Funny GameStop story of the day:

Called the GS in the mall (closest one to me), asked if they have Prototype (PS3) used, and how much. Dude checked, they didn't have one, but the Muldoon store (basically a half hour away) might have one. He forwarded me to them, and they DO have a used copy. Here are the prices he quoted me:

NEW: $60
USED: $54

EPIC FAIL

Craigslist cost: $25

INSTANT WIN
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 09, 2009, 10:14:06 PM »
What, would you paint the store pink and focus on selling the full lineup of Ubisoft's "-z" franchise?
*slap*

I KNEW somebody was going to say that...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 09, 2009, 10:17:18 PM »
What, would you paint the store pink and focus on selling the full lineup of Ubisoft's "-z" franchise?
*slap*

Once again, that was deliberate sarcasm of a stereotype, though if Nintendo's E3 press conference is any indication maybe I shouldn't have been sarcastic about Ubisoft's "-z" franchise being included.

And by the way, Halbred, you do know you can just use Gamestop.com to look up locations of used games at their stores, right?  You don't have to call them.  Glad you found a good deal, anyway, though.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 09, 2009, 10:19:59 PM »
*slap*

Once again, that was deliberate sarcasm of a stereotype, though if Nintendo's E3 press conference is any indication maybe I shouldn't have been sarcastic about Ubisoft's "-z" franchise being included.
Exactly. People who say something so obvious and expected should be slapped. Maybe try being clever next time...