Author Topic: So nobody likes GameStop?  (Read 242684 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: So nobody likes GameStop?
« Reply #100 on: August 09, 2009, 10:28:06 PM »
What, would you paint the store pink and focus on selling the full lineup of Ubisoft's "-z" franchise?
*slap*

I KNEW somebody was going to say that...

Once again, that was deliberate sarcasm of a stereotype, though if Nintendo's E3 press conference is any indication maybe I shouldn't have been sarcastic about Ubisoft's "-z" franchise being included.
Exactly. People who say something so obvious and expected should be slapped. Maybe try being clever next time...

*refrains from making a retort that will only escalate the argument.*

And by the way, I'm still waiting for the serious answer to that question, GP.  You intrigued my curiosity.  What would make your store different from any other, focused on the girl gamer?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 10:30:17 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 09, 2009, 10:30:28 PM »
I know it was a stereotype. That's the point! Say something CLEVER if you want to amuse...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 09, 2009, 10:33:22 PM »
I think a GameWomyn store would work in San Francisco and Seattle as well.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 09, 2009, 10:34:11 PM »
What, would you paint the store pink and focus on selling the full lineup of Ubisoft's "-z" franchise?
*slap*

I KNEW somebody was going to say that...

Once again, that was deliberate sarcasm of a stereotype, though if Nintendo's E3 press conference is any indication maybe I shouldn't have been sarcastic about Ubisoft's "-z" franchise being included.
Exactly. People who say something so obvious and expected should be slapped. Maybe try being clever next time...

*refrains from making a retort that will only escalate the argument.*

And by the way, I'm still waiting for the serious answer to that question, GP.  You intrigued my curiosity.  What would make your store different from any other, focused on the girl gamer?

Seriously I'm not sure, I just kind of through it out there. It would have to be something I'd have to think about and research pretty heavily.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 09, 2009, 10:37:26 PM »
I think a GameWomyn store would work in San Francisco and Seattle as well.

See, I was tempted to go there after Lindy's post but I'm glad someone else did.  ;)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 09, 2009, 10:39:18 PM »
A GameWomyn store would have fewer posters of BloodRayne and Lara Croft bending over.
A GameWomyn store would foster a warm and safe environment for womyn.
A GameWomyn store would have a place to sit and talk and public restrooms.
A GameWomyn store would be staffed by knowledgeable womyn.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 09, 2009, 10:41:18 PM »
I hadn't thought about it before either but it's an interesting idea.

I don't know if this is necessarily female-oriented, but if I had a game store then instead of holding events like gaming competitions I would have something more like a support group. People gathering together to help each other get through difficult games, showing each other tactics they've learned and stuff, or to play through co-op games and such. I would also serve free tea, because tea is a much better beverage for marathon gaming than so-called energy drinks.

That's something I thought of just now. I could probably think of other things too...

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 09, 2009, 10:46:14 PM »
I hadn't thought about it before either but it's an interesting idea.

I don't know if this is necessarily female-oriented, but if I had a game store then instead of holding events like gaming competitions I would have something more like a support group. People gathering together to help each other get through difficult games, showing each other tactics they've learned and stuff, or to play through co-op games and such. I would also serve free tea, because tea is a much better beverage for marathon gaming than so-called energy drinks.

That's something I thought of just now. I could probably think of other things too...

See, I don't know if I'd call that "girl gamer'-oriented because that's just something I think a good gamer store in general should focus on: the community, fostering the love of gaming in old and young, men and women alike while in the meantime selling a lot of games.  The best gaming stores I ever shopped at had that human element (none of which are still around, by the way), with clerks that knew their gaming and were always ready for a dicussion on the latest games.  You sometimes still see that, but it's definitely a dying breed these days.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 09, 2009, 10:50:07 PM »
Sadly I think creating a female-focused gaming store would be nothing more than a marketing gimmick. It reminds me of the Yorkie chocolate bar which carries the slogan "It's NOT for girls!" It is essentially no different than other candy bars so I don't know why it is sold as such. It may also be ironic that Yorkie is one of my favourite candy bars...

I'm curious as to what ideas GoldenPhoenix could think up.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 10, 2009, 01:29:23 PM »
The start-up costs of opening a gaming store would be pretty minimal because I already own almost enough games to stock it!

This would only work if you were willing to part with said games for money.  Are you?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 10, 2009, 02:32:30 PM »
You shouldn't need any type of energy drink or specialty tea for playing video games. I am admittedly a big fan of low carb Monster, but I only drink it when I'm at work or mowing the lawn or doing something that requires energy. GP, your store would be out of business in a matter of weeks.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 10, 2009, 02:36:32 PM »
You shouldn't need any type of energy drink or specialty tea for playing video games. I am admittedly a big fan of low carb Monster, but I only drink it when I'm at work or mowing the lawn or doing something that requires energy. GP, your store would be out of business in a matter of weeks.

Thanks for your business expertise.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 10, 2009, 02:37:00 PM »
The start-up costs of opening a gaming store would be pretty minimal because I already own almost enough games to stock it!

This would only work if you were willing to part with said games for money.  Are you?
If the right price were offrered then yes. Which means I'd probably never sell anything because nobody would pay $10 for Super Mario Brothers...

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #113 on: August 10, 2009, 03:39:15 PM »
Working at Gamestop sucks because of the ultra-****ty customers you need to deal with.

You basically HAVE to love games to work there, otherwise there's no reason to put up with the endless flow of angry, ignorant, belligerent customers. You spend most of your days dealing with white trash trying to haggle prices that are set in stone, mothers who drop their bratty kids off at the store to play with the demo stations and never buy anything and angry parents who are convinced that Mario is, in fact, on the Xbox and that their knowledge on the subject supersedes yours.

Not to mention the alleged "hardcore" gamer nerd who comes in just to mock the store and its employees.

I can't say I agree with their corporate practices and I believe that digital distribution will ultimately be the death knell of the company, but still, if you work at Gamestop, you must be there because you at least love games. There's no way in hell you'd put up with all of the **** otherwise.

And yet, the only member that can confirm the horrors expressed by us AS CUSTOMERS has yet to say anything on the matter  :rolleyes: .

Not defending Gamestop or anything on the matter, but I would like people who work at Gamestop tells us their stories and see what horrors they have to say about us.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 10, 2009, 03:41:21 PM »
Not defending Gamestop or anything on the matter, but I would like people who work at Gamestop tells us their stories and see what horrors they have to say about us.

Oh I know it, I've seen some of them first hand how nasty they can get with the employees.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #115 on: August 10, 2009, 03:50:47 PM »
Also, we are saying that Gamestop attracts bad customers, but can ANY store attract good customers? In other words, if Gamestop attract nasty customers who says the same thing doesn't happen to Wal-Mart, Sears, K-Mart, Radio Shack, Best Buy, Walgreens, Hot Topic, The Apple Store etc. etc.?

What I believe is that customers take stores for granted. They just see a place to spend money on, and if they aren't satisfied they vent against the story and sadly its employees. We are so consumed by our greed and desire to get a material possession that we forget that the people assisting us are people too, people are that need the money to satisfy their own needs.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 10, 2009, 03:55:24 PM »
I think that's the reason why I created this thread, that it was unfair to single out GameStop. All store chains have bad employees and/or bad customers. They also have good ones to. It's the luck of the draw I guess, but one thing I do know, if you want people to be nice to you then you'd better return the favour.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 10, 2009, 04:03:11 PM »
I think the whole 'customer is always right thing' and anti-corporatism gets to people's heads.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 10, 2009, 04:04:57 PM »
Also, we are saying that Gamestop attracts bad customers, but can ANY store attract good customers? In other words, if Gamestop attract nasty customers who says the same thing doesn't happen to Wal-Mart, Sears, K-Mart, Radio Shack, Best Buy, Walgreens, Hot Topic, The Apple Store etc. etc.?

What I believe is that customers take stores for granted. They just see a place to spend money on, and if they aren't satisfied they vent against the story and sadly its employees. We are so consumed by our greed and desire to get a material possession that we forget that the people assisting us are people too, people are that need the money to satisfy their own needs.

You are right, really people have a problem when it comes to treating workers as equals. They treat workers in stores, restaurants etc as means to an end goal (usually buying some product) and don't really see them as people first. That is one thing I've always tried to do even though it is hard, is to realize they have more worth then some object that you use to get some item or service you want.

Offline Athena Asamiya

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 10, 2009, 04:15:53 PM »

I really don't know if I want to get involved in this thread.
SNK>Capcom

"Never trust b*****s working at a Gamestop store. 99% of the time, they have no clue what they're talking about because they were just hired due to titties."
-Dirk Temporo

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2009, 04:26:26 PM »

I really don't know if I want to get involved in this thread.

Understandable. Since word on the internet can reach real life quickly I too wouldn't get too involved with a discussion.

My apologies.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2009, 05:30:08 PM »
Does Athena Asamiya work at GameStop? If so, more power to you!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2009, 05:33:02 PM »
Does Athena Asamiya work at GameStop? If so, more power to you!

She's a manager or something at one.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2009, 05:37:46 PM »
Nobody likes GameSpot.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 10, 2009, 05:39:54 PM »
Wait a second, if she works at GameStop then what's the deal with the Dirk Temporo quote in her signature? Some sort of irony?