Author Topic: The PATHETIC state of the gaming 'media'  (Read 227021 times)

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Re: The PATHETIC state of the gaming 'media'
« Reply #900 on: January 16, 2010, 01:30:13 AM »
Anybody know how good the game Splosion Man is? Look at this Article. Maybe if it was sensible about the argument, but this guy out right bashed Mario Bros Wii like it's going to be illegal tomorrow.

I can't seem to get a direct Link to the arcticle. But man this IGN guy hates Nintendo with a passion!
www.ignwii.com
Editorial: Blinded by Mario

In a side-by-side comparison, I don't see how the two even compare. 'Splosion Man is more imaginative, technically more impressive, and a much better value than Nintendo's tired game. Consider the evidence:

Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: January 16, 2010, 02:07:31 AM »
Starting to get nasty on the internet.  Why hate Mario?  How come IGN never told anybody about this other game until now?  Why say NSMBWii was overhyped when they are the typical hyping agents?  Why compare NSMBWii to a game that's not even on the same platform?  This seems like a case of sour grapes and the ultimate in crybaby antics.

Amusingly, most of the comments disagree, think this editorial is crap, and think IGN went to ****.  Maybe attacking SUPER MARIO isn't the best way to endear yourself to Nintendo fans.  Also, rather ironically, this article drew fire for being lazy and repetitive, being what, the THIRD or so whinefest about NSMBWii and it not "deserving" its success.

Of course there are a few sycophants there that are like "YOU GO GIRL" or "PREACH IT, BROTHER!"  But they're usually IGN fanboys and think if they can lick enough spittle they'll get "recognized" and "make it."  Which is pretty sad actually.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: January 16, 2010, 02:15:32 AM »
Ok, first things first:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/106/1061550p1.html

There's your link.  Now, in the interest of fairness I would point out that this article was written by Daemon Hatfield, a former IGN Team Nintendo writer who has a known bias against the Wii due to being saddled with reviewing 3rd party shovelware during his time time working Nintendo.  He is the fellow best known for his well thought-out argument on IGN Game Scoop after E3 2009 that "the Wii is stupid!"

In the interest of full disclosure, I haven't played 'Splosion Man, as I don't own a 360 and never intend to.  Now, that said I can't find much to disagree with when it comes to the merits of NSMBW: it's not a bad game, but it's definitely uninspired and dull unless you have friends along to play multiplayer with you.  The game just doesn't start introducing ideas new to a Mario platformer till very late in the game (though, again, to be fair it has the best World 8 and Bowser fight the franchise has ever had).  Any game that requires someone else to play alongside you to make it fun just doesn't deserve exemplary praise in my books.  It's a good game, just not a "great" game.

Let's go over his "evidence":

"Exhibit A: 'Splosion Man is more original" - I can't really disagree with that, based on what I've been reading on it.  I will say that 'Splosion Man is a much more limited concept (triggering internal explosions to fling your character off walls and into the air through a gauntlet of death) than Mario, so it had better make the most of it.  NSMBW just takes too long to get going and start showing what the designers can really make you do, at least for me.

"Exhibit B: 'Splosion Man does 4-player online Co-op" - Again, you can't really argue with this.  It does, and NSMBW does not.  You can argue whether it's really a detriment to NSMBW (and I'd say it isn't, really), but that is otherwise a feather in 'Splosion Man's cap.

"Exhibit C: 'Splosion Man offers more content for a fraction of the price" - I think it's disingenuous to compare the two games by pure level count.  Maybe 'Splosion Man has shorter levels with less you have to do.  I don't know.  You also have to look at the quality of the levels themselves.

As for the rest, he essentially whines that more people know about NSMBW than 'Splosion Man, and are biased towards it because Nintendo has a bigger marketing budget than the makers of that XBLA game.  While quite probably true, I don't see the point in complaining about it.  All Mario games, including the 3D ones, get treated with kid gloves because he's a better known character than those that potentially do more interesting things with the genre.  That's just how it is, and it's not going to change...especially on the Nintendo section of the IGN website.  So he should shut the hell up.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 02:17:58 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: January 16, 2010, 02:44:59 AM »
As for the rest, he essentially whines that more people know about NSMBW than 'Splosion Man, and are biased towards it because Nintendo has a bigger marketing budget than the makers of that XBLA game.

And whoa, wait a minute, why didn't IGN talk up this Splosion Man before?  I don't think anybody heard about the game until today.  I mean isn't that one of their functions?  To act as somewhat of a hype-machine charity for struggling developers that might need the help?  And why is NSMBWii blamed for this when it wasn't really certain that NSMBWii would explode the way it did?  Why not games like Modern Warfare 2?  Why does that get a free pass?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 02:53:47 AM by Deguello »

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: January 16, 2010, 03:05:37 AM »
Splosionman is way more repetitive than Mario. Instead of 8 worlds you get 3 that almost entirely look the same. Hell, why not compare the value of Splosionman to N which it clones so hard?

Zero Punctuation on Splosionman, for reference.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: January 16, 2010, 03:19:34 AM »
Zero Punctuation on Splosionman, for reference.

I'll see your damning Yahtzee review (and he seemed to like the game in that review, just thought it was hard and didn't know where to end), and raise you another one: Zero Punctuation on New Super Mario Bros. Wii, for reference.   ;)
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: January 16, 2010, 03:42:02 AM »
Why is that article posted in the Wii section of the site? Shouldn't it be in the XBox 360 section? And why doesn't anyone ever complain that games like Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 are nothing new?

Although I don't disagree that New Super Mario Brothers Wii isn't really anything new, I'll always disagree that a game needs to do something new or innovative in order to be enjoyable. I also don't believe that the Wii hardware can handle a platforming game online with no hiccups, based on my experience with other online Wii games.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: January 16, 2010, 03:58:04 AM »
That Yahtzee review blows.  He basically says NSMBWii doesn't even deserve to exist, which is less "review" and more "sour grapes."  I mean not liking the game is fine, but saying it "doesn't belong in modern gaming."  Get bent, seriously.

Why is that article posted in the Wii section of the site?

Double troll points for making the case that anybody who enjoyed NSMBWii was "blinded by hype" (for a 2-D sidescroller?) and suggesting as an alternative, not a 2-D Sidescroller of a different style that actually exists on the Wii, like Muramasa or Boy and His Blob, but a downloadable game for a completely different system.  If their goal ISN'T to troll the Wii's owners, then why write such a shoddy, crappy piece of Gamefaqs quality anti-fanboy ranting?  And since most of the comments are like "What's up with this blatant Wii-bashing?" I can't imagine IGN will get much in the way of traffic from this.

Maybe these sites should stick to criticism of games instead of the buyers of said games.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 04:00:11 AM by Deguello »

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #908 on: January 16, 2010, 05:07:55 AM »
Why are we still linking to these jokers?They are doing this types of "Editorials" to draw hits to the site.Its like they don't know how to get good attention so any attention is ok for them even if it is bad attention.

I guess if we stop linking to them we won't really have anything to talk about in this topic because the majority of the links in this topic are from IGN.When one topic like this is linking to one site the majority of the time that is not a good thing.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 05:54:24 AM by Maxi »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #909 on: January 16, 2010, 11:20:52 AM »
How did I know the Hatfield editorial would end up here?  Either way, the author defends himself.  He's basically saying that Mario was released with minimal effort, while Splosion Man devs tried new things that worked.  And IGN and the industry in general have been talking this game up for a long time.  You may not agree with Daemon, but he does very clearly lay out while he thinks one is better than the other.  And that can make for an interesting read, even if you disagree.  Now if he didn't back up his opinion, then you'd have a lazy or "pathetic" article.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: January 16, 2010, 11:35:25 AM »
So as long as people get internet hits that bring out crap like this, we will be entertained.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: January 16, 2010, 12:34:24 PM »
How did I know the Hatfield editorial would end up here?

Well that's easy to figure out.  You already posted in their comments.  It's nice that you tried to seem even-handed and impartial here, but there you let your colors fly.

Preach it!

I loved Nintendo, but I'm not bind to the fact they've been spending the last 2 years taking really longs dumps, wiping up the mess, and selling it back to us as some sort of revolution. Its just getting old.

I think everybody here pretty much knows what you are now, and why you hang out here.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 12:41:08 PM by Deguello »

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #912 on: January 16, 2010, 02:11:27 PM »
Haha. What?  The fact the I was raised on Nintendo and want them to continue to deliver superior games instead of just minor improvements to their franchises?  So I'm dissapointed. Big deal. So are the members of RFN. We all know they can do better.

And dude. There are thousands of comments on that editorial. Stop stalking me. It's creepy.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: January 16, 2010, 02:36:55 PM »
"Preach it?"  "Long dumps?"  Is this games like SSBB or Galaxy?  Even the groupthink capitals of the world Metacritic and Gamerankings think NSMBWii is better than Splosion Man.

Obvious troll is obvious.  If it talks like a troll, acts like a troll...

And no, don't think you're important enough to stalk.  That's a rather amusing thought, though.  You just happened to be in the comments when I was reading them and I was like "There's a familiar face.  Jeez, this guy has to be a part of every Nintendo hit piece."  And you putting on a different face there than here is delicious too.

But think what you want.  Whatever makes you feel better.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 02:42:29 PM by Deguello »

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #914 on: January 16, 2010, 03:01:24 PM »
Yup. Even though I spent the last two nights playing my Wii I secretly hate it. Everyone here knows I want more from the machine. I'm the same on this site as any other, which is exactly why my comments annoy you. I often criticize Nintendo here instead of defending every move they make. Don't like it, just ignore me and IGN. Why spend so much time responding if we're just mindless trolls with an agenda? Trolls can not be reasoned with. A debate with one is futile.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: January 16, 2010, 03:04:37 PM »
D-Average that was you? You animal!

2 years? You can't call Brawl, Galaxy, Metroid, Mario Kart, Resort and few other things half baked. I could see why people get upset with Mario and no epic cut scenes, or online, but the game is just down right fun and an absolute blast.

Now the New Wii control is lame, but to generalize that everything has been crap is just ubsurd!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: January 16, 2010, 03:08:13 PM »
I'm the same on this site as any other, which is exactly why my comments annoy you.

No, you clearly wore a different face there.  You wore the face of "YEAH WOOO SUCK IT NINTARDS WOOO.  NINTENDO SHITS OUT GAMES WOOO! PREACH IT IGN."  And here you are "I am a concerned gamer with serious gamer concerns and Think Mr. Hatfield has a point which is valid."  The change is obvious.

Trolls can not be reasoned with. A debate with one is futile.

And here is a place where you are right.  It is futile to argue with trolls.  All you can do is pray they find some shiny object on the ground or another social networking site to keep them busy for a week before they post again.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #917 on: January 16, 2010, 03:29:42 PM »
Everything form Nintendo isn't half baked or I wouldn't still play my Wii. But NSMBW, Mario Kart, Wii Music, Mario Sluggers and Animal Crossing could have been so much more. That is all.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: January 16, 2010, 03:43:07 PM »
While it is fun to watch somebody backpedal like crazy, I think the thread needs to get back on track.

About IGN as a whole.  Can we expect similar articles about obscure games being "blinded" by hype from other consoles?  Wouldn't it make more sense to fault Modern Warfare 2 to drawing hype away from a plucky little DLC game than a game from a completely different platform?  Would this article even exist if New Super Mario Wii didn't end up selling more than Modern Warfare 2?  I'm sensing a double standard here, and that much is also obvious given IGN's tone these last few months.

Hopefully their next editorial won't be such a blatant advertisement for another game.  That just REEKS of money behind-the-scenes.

Offline GearBoxClock

• Bratwurst Bild
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • The Clock Crew
« Reply #919 on: January 16, 2010, 03:47:05 PM »
A double standard? On IGN? A website that constantly gives the best reviews to overhyped crap on X-Box 360 and ignores higher quality games on other systems? Really?
Ich lasse Sauerkraut in meinem lederhosen

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: January 16, 2010, 03:56:05 PM »
A double standard? On IGN? A website that constantly gives the best reviews to overhyped crap on X-Box 360 and ignores higher quality games on other systems? Really?

Oh even better, then they write editorials about overhyped games as if they played no part in the hyping.

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: January 16, 2010, 04:04:04 PM »
It's hilarious how these Mario 5 rants keep appearing right after NPD, as if the huge sales are triggering these reactions. Maybe if they keep writing these editorials people will stop buying it.

IGN has no credibility on this issue anyway. They gave NSMB DS a great score and never complained about the "laziness" there, yet the vastly superior Wii game is treated like crap.
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: January 16, 2010, 04:05:12 PM »
I think when it comes to IGN, everyone should remember this:

”What is the point of complaining?” says an email. “Because we got tons of comments and tons of traffic,” answers Harris.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #923 on: January 16, 2010, 04:15:09 PM »

Was it not IGN who gave birth to The Conduit hype?  Was it not IGN that championed Zack and Wikki for months?  Was it not IGN that still talks to this day about how great a well made 1st person shooter could be on Wii?

I'd recommend listening to the latest Nintendo Voice Chat.  Fran Mirabella (7.9ed) and Peer Schneider are back on, and talk about their love and disappointment with Nintendo.  Just like myself and many others, we know how awesome Nintendo games can be, and we just want to be "Wooed" more often.  Its like rooting for your favorite NFL team.  Sure you love them and all, but when they slip up, make poor drafts picks, or trade your best player away to save money you get upset, complain and debate with other fans.  Its perfectly normal to have such love/hate relationships. 

Enough of this diversion though.  I'm going to spend some time with Wind Waker now just to spite my Wii.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: January 16, 2010, 04:38:33 PM »
I find it amusing that nobody can have these same kinds of problems with IGN writing lazy, easy-target editorials that do nothing but bash NSMBWii and advertise other games.  Whatever IGN says is mana, and we have our very own fanboy here to defend every stupid thing they say, as if to control our opinions about their opinions and damage control the extreme drop in quality IGN has taken (if losing half your readers in a year is any indication) and the backlash from even longtime readers in their comments section.  Nobody wants to go to website that kicks them in the face the second they walk in.

Enough of this diversion though.  I'm going to spend some time with Wind Waker now just to spite my Wii.

Hey, this isn't your twitter account.  Nobody cares.