Author Topic: Mafia LXV: Super Smash Bros. for Mafia. Rules and roles.  (Read 5871 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Mafia LXV: Super Smash Bros. for Mafia. Rules and roles.
« on: February 09, 2015, 03:16:27 AM »
List of Players

Alive

ejamer (Detective)
Mop it up (Goon 1)
nickmitch (Goon 2)
NuclearSpeed (Townie)
Spak-Spang (Godfather)
stevey (Townie)

Dead

Lucariofan99 (Townie) - Death by Vote
lolmonade (Doctor) - Death by Mafia
Pokepal148 (Goon 3) - Death by Vote
thatguy (Whore) - Death by Mafia
Hypotheliciously (Townie) - Death by Vote
decoyman (Townie) - Death by Mafia
Stratos (Townie) - Death by Final Smash
Ceric (Townie) - Death by Vote
NWR_insanolord (Townie) - Death by Mafia

Roles

Mafia

Godfather - Possessor of the Home Run Bat. The godfather chooses to eliminate a player from the game each day. He sends the host his hit choice via pm. If investigated by the detective, he is revealed as a townie. He can send this choice in at anytime up to the night action deadline and can change his choice at anytime. The last choice made by the time of the deadline is the one that will go through. If the godfather fails to make a hit one night, the hit does not carry over to the next day and the chance for a hit the previous day is lost.

Goon 1 - If the Godfather is killed, Goon 1 inherits the Home Run bat but is unable to hide their identity from the detective.

Goon 2 - If the Godfather and Goon 1 are killed, Goon 2 inherits the Home Run bat but is unable to hide their identity from the detective.

Goon 3 - If the Godfather, Goon 1 and Goon 2 are killed, Goon 3 inherits the Home Run bat but is unable to hide their identity from the detective.

Townie

Detective - The townie detective is able to choose any player to investigate them and learn their role. The only person who he will fail to successfully investigate is the Godfather who will be revealed as a townie instead. The detective can request his investigation at any time in the day or night phase. I will wait 30 minutes in case the detective wants to change their mind and then send the result. If the detective fails to ask for investigation one day, the investigations do not carry over to the next day and the chance for an investigation the previous day is lost.

Doctor - Maxim tomatoes! They restore 50% health. In that same vein, the doctor can choose to protect someone from the day vote out or the night actions. One or the other. 50%! It's like he's giving out a maxim tomato a day. Or the doctor can be greedy and help himself. Yes, the doctor can choose to protect himself this game but again, the doctor must choose if it will be a day vote or night action protection. Please note: If a person is protected from a day vote, they are also protected from any item actions that will occur that day. As well, to protect someone from the day actions, the protection order must be submitted 7 hours before the voting deadline. To protect from night actions, the order can be sent in anytime up to the night action deadline.

Whore - If a tie occurs, then the whore is able to step in and choose who is the day's vote victim. If a tie occurs, then the regular 30 minute tiebreaker overtime will commence. The whore can send in their choice at any time via pm to the host. If another player breaks the tie during the tie-break time, overtime will end but the whore will still have the full 30 minutes to decide if they want to go with the player selected in the tiebreak or choose one of the other possible victims instead and overturn the tiebreak. If the whore does not send in a response, then the player selected in the tiebreak will be the one eliminated. If the whore does not send in a response or is dead and no one is selected in the tiebreak, then please see the rule on voting ties.

There are 2 regular townies with just the ability to vote unless they gain an item.

Rules of the Game

What is the purpose of the game?

To eliminate opposing players against your team.

How do I win?

The win conditions for a player depends on what their role is.

If a player is a townie or has a townie role like detective, doctor or whore, then all Mafia roles must be eliminated. Once those opposing players are out of the game, the remaining villager players are declared the winners.

If a player has a mafia role, then all the mafia has to do is just equal or surpass the number of villagers still left in the game to win. So, if there were 6 villagers and 5 mafia players, the mafia still does not have a numbers advantage and the game goes on. If there are 5 mafia players and 5 or less villagers, then the game

How does the game work?

Every day, a new thread will be created for all players to communicate with one another to post whatever they want regarding the game and to vote for which ever player they wish to target. Players are allowed to change their votes at any time until the thread is locked for the end of the day. Some players have special roles giving them an ability to do more besides just vote and post. Most of those abilities are used during what is called the nighttime phase when they will be carried out. Once the daily vote is finalized and all nighttime abilities have been decided on and carried out, a new day's thread will be created. The results of the last day will all be post and the game continues on with the surviving players like this until one side achieves a victory.

How do I vote?

Simply type in BOLD for whom ever you wish to vote against. Example: Vote Khushrenada. But that's a bad example. You'd never want to actually vote for me.

You may change your vote as much as you like, but any old votes must remain legible.  Simply edit the post, unbold the vote, and make a new post with the new vote. So, you're old vote should look something like this: un-Vote Khushrenada. That is a much better example of how to play the game.

What happens if the vote is a tie?

In the event of a tied vote, there will be an overtime, sudden death voting period of 30 minutes.  The only vote that may be cast is for one of the players who were tied at the end of voting. If someone casts a vote for another player to create a 3 way or higher tie, it will not count. The period is only to break the tie between the players who are tied when the voting deadline was reached.

As soon as a vote is cast that breaks the tie, the day vote is immediately ended and the player with the majority is eliminated regardless of how much time is left in the sudden death period unless the townie whore decides differently. The vote that is cast in a tiebreak can either be from a player that hasn't voted yet that day or from a player changing their vote from earlier in the day.

If the tie is unresolved after 30 minutes, then sudden death Smash rules are applied and bob-ombs rain down from the heavens blowing away players. If two people are died, then one random person will be selected to die having been hit by a bob-omb. If 4 players are tied, then 3 random people will be selected to die. It's like a sudden death overtime between the selected players and I will eliminate enough players so that there is a winner of the match. It's just that those who can be targeted will be everyone instead of just the tied players. I hope you understand how I'm doing this.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 01:07:42 AM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia LXV: Super Smash Bros. for Mafia. Rules and roles.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 03:17:07 AM »
Items

Freezie - Player hit with this item will be rendered inactive for the rest of the day. If the player has cast a vote or sent in an action before being hit by the item, then those actions will still count. If they haven't, then they are unable to make any action for the game. However, the player can still post as normal or vote even though it will not count.

Goldeen (Pokeball) - Does nothing. A dud item. User won't know until Pokeball is thrown.

Gooey Bomb - The player who obtains this item will have it stuck to them. If another player casts a vote for them, then the bomb will transfer to that person. If a player then votes for the person who has acquired the gooey bomb, it will then transfer to them. And so on and so on until it explodes 3 hours before the voting deadline. When it explodes, it will add 3 votes to the person with the bomb in that day's vote.

Hammer - One of the most powerful weapons in the game. The person who acquires it is able to make a hit against any player of their choice carried out immediately.

Heart Container - The player who uses this item is able to nullify all votes that have been cast against them at the time the item is used. If 5 votes were cast against them and they play it and then they are voted for by someone afterwards, then they will have 1 vote. The heart container does not nullify future votes only those already cast.

Isabelle (Assist Trophy) - When played, it will nullify two votes cast against the player who activated the trophy. However, this item cannot be used until the player with it has made one post in the day thread. The reason for that is because whoever has posted above the Isabelle user's last post will also have 2 votes nullified and the player who posts after the Isabelle user's last post will have 2 votes nullified for them as well as they all eat the fruit generously thrown by Isabelle.

Latias and Latios (Pokeball) - When thrown and unleashed, it will 2 votes to every player that day except the one who threw the pokeball. User won't know if they have these pokemon until the ball is thrown.

Metal Box - Makes it harder to launch the player. Therefore it will require at least 5 votes to vote out the player with this item in the day vote. If a player with the metal ability only has four votes cast against them and is the majority vote, they will not die because of insufficient launching power and 5 votes are needed.

Nightmare (Assist Trophy) - Darkness falls on the screen and players blindly attack one another. In this case, all votes will be mixed up. Voting for one player will actually count against another player. However, you won't know who you are affecting until the darkness clears at the end of the day.

Nintendog (Assist Trophy) - The Nintendog blocks the screen. What this means is that when unleashed, any more votes cast that day must be sent via pm to the host. Votes cast before the Nintendog is unleashed will still count but if the player wants to change their vote, it has to be sent via pm and an edited change will not count.

Palkia (Pokeball) - Changes the battlefield. In this case, when used, Palkia changes how voting works. The player(s) with the least amount of votes are the ones who will be the leaders of the day vote. You can not vote for yourself. It should make for an interesting day.

Poison Mushroom - The player who gains this item will have +2 votes added to their voting total that day.

Rally X Flag - The player with this item is able to gain an extra life. That means if they are voted out, they will survive the vote and keep going. If the target of a hit, they will survive and keep going. But if targeted a second time, they will die. However, to gain this advantage, the player will post that they are holding the flag. They can not vote that day nor can they perform any other action if they have a role. Doing so cancels the Rally X Flag and they'd have to try again another day. If they survive the day and night, they will have the extra life.

Starman - The player who acquires this item is immediately protected from the day and night actions for that day.

Smash Ball (Final Smash) - I saved this for the end. The most powerful of all the items in the game. The player with the smash ball can affect three other players.  One they can add +2 votes towards in that day's vote, one player they can choose to investigate and the result will be publicly revealed and one player the can hit and immediately eliminate. However, the player can not just choose any 3 individuals. In order to use the Final Smash, you have to line up your opponents. Likewise, in this game, you can only use it after other players have posted and then you post below them "FINAL SMASH". Then the three players who have posted above the Final Smash user will be affected in the order listed. The player 3 posts above would have +2 votes, the player 2 posts above would have their role revealed and the player just above would be eliminated.

Items and understanding them are going to be the tricky part of this game. While I've outlined the effects above, there's obviously a lot more to explain on them. Moreover, a lot of these items probably won't come into play. This section will delve into some of the complicated waters that these items bring about.

Who has an item?

Every player has an item assigned to them. At the same time I handed out roles, I also randomly assigned an item to each player. It only looks like I'm making this game up on the fly. However, no player can use the item they have been assigned. Sucks if you have the Smash ball but great if you've got a poison mushroom.

How do I get an item I can use?

The only way to acquire an item in this game is by voting out another player. I've instituted this item idea in the hopes of increasing voting in the game and user participation. When a player is voted out, the item that was assigned to them gets acquired by one of the players who voted them out. They steal it in effect. The item goes to the person who correctly matches its vote number value.

What is an item's vote number value?

Items have a different vote number value attached to them. An item could have a vote value at 1. That means that if a player is voted out, the person who cast the first vote against that player will get the item. If an item has a voting value of 4, that means the 4th player to vote against a person would get the item. Now if the vote value is 1, that doesn't mean that the first player to case a vote against anyone that value gets the item. An item is only acquired from the player who is killed in the day vote. If a player had a vote value of 6 on their item but only 5 votes were cast and they died, then no one gets the item as the vote value for it was not met.

Do I get an item if I make a hit on a player?

No, in that case, you have KO'd the opponent out of the match and they take the item with you. Voting is like various punches being thrown and the item comes loose during those punches allowing a player to get an item.

Can I hoard items?

Yes and no. There are some items that are applied as soon as they are acquired. The gooey bomb, metal box, poison mushroom and starman are all immediately put into effect when acquired to the person who has received them. All other items can be held onto and activated whenever the player with them wishes to do so provided it does so within any other conditions imposed on the item as outlined above. Man, I'd make a good lawyer. That's some nice fine print legalese speech right there.

In addition, if a player is able to obtain 2 or more items, they are under no obligation to use any and can keep holding on to them for as long as they wish. Maybe you want to make yourself really powerful or maybe you want to play for glory and keep items out of the game. It's you call on what you want to do with the items upon acquiring them.

If a player is voted out holding an item or items, what happens to them?

Let's say a player was holding an item he could use when voted out. Both that item and the item assigned to the player will be distributed among those who voted for the player based on the vote number value. So, if the player acquired an item with a vote value of 4 and had an item assigned to him at a vote value of 3, then the 3rd and 4th players to vote that person out would acquire those respective items. However, if a player is holding multiple items but a hit is made on them, all those items get taken out of the game with the player and no one is able to acquire them.

Do we know what item is assigned to us?

This answer you will know pretty quickly as I will be sending out pm's to let everyone know what item I have given as a reward for your death and the vote number value to acquire it. I've been struggling as to whether I should reveal that or not since coming up with this idea yesterday until now but have decided to reveal that info to each player. I believe it might lead to some interesting new strategy and it will also show that I am not secretly favoring one player over another by what items people may acquire at different points in the game.

Will the host reveal which player gets an item and what the item is at the start of each new day?

No. There are only a couple cases where that would be revealed such as if a player has the poison mushroom and is already given two votes against to start the day. That's needed voting information. In most cases, the item will be left a mystery until a player decides to use it. Then the players will be informed of the items use and any effects it may have on the game for the rest of that day. In a couple cases like the Freezie or Starman, the use of that item won't even be revealed until the next day's story although the items effects will still occur during the day it is used.

I feel that with players having knowledge of the items assigned to them, it is their choice whether they want to reveal who will get what if they die or stay silent or lie and bluff. Like I say, there could be more strategy with this new element.

And I think that should about do it. If you have any other questions about items or need any other explanation or clarification with any part of the game, please ask it here or send me a pm.

Best of luck to all participants.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 05:38:22 PM by Khushrenada »

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 04:43:16 AM »
Item ideas:

Assist Trophy:  Use the assist trophy and a random active players vote is changed to your vote.  "Assisting You"
Gooey Bomb:  Bomb has a 3 Day fuse, and players tag someone with it.  By PMing the host.  The tagged player then can tag someone else in a PM to the host until BOMB at the end of the 3rd day.
Poison Mushroom:  If you get a poison mushroom item your vote for that day does not count.  However, you can still vote but it won't count in the tally.
Starman:  Immune to all items, vote out, and night actions
Heart Container:  Special item in which you can protect yourself or another player from a night action.
Hammer:  Your vote counts twice
Metal Box:  Minus 2 votes against you during the tally.  Metal box ends before night actions so you can be attacked.
Rally X Flag:  You make a public claim about a person's identity and use the Rally X Flag.  If you are right about the claim...the next day whether you live or die that role will be exposed.
Smash Ball:  If the person you voted for is voted out.  Then you can pick one other player to be voted out. 
Freezie:  Cancels one players vote...and if that player used an item will cancel that item too.  Does not stop night actions.

Pokeballs will do a random effect like one of the items above...even Smash Ball

These items are pretty powerful, so I would make the items only show up once per game...and players can pick which day to use them.  If the player is killed with an item not using it...that item is lost from the game. 

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 05:18:19 AM »
You remembered to tell the mafia who they were, right?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 07:27:18 AM »

So what does each role actually do?  I've seen different definitions in some places and (first time playing here) would like to be clear about what powers are available.

Vote NWR_insanolord for pretending to be innocent.
 ;)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 07:34:35 AM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 09:31:42 AM »
The Game's Started Khush.  I don't see any rules here.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 10:18:03 AM »
Item ideas:

Assist Trophy:  Use the assist trophy and a random active players vote is changed to your vote.  "Assisting You"
Gooey Bomb:  Bomb has a 3 Day fuse, and players tag someone with it.  By PMing the host.  The tagged player then can tag someone else in a PM to the host until BOMB at the end of the 3rd day.
Poison Mushroom:  If you get a poison mushroom item your vote for that day does not count.  However, you can still vote but it won't count in the tally.
Starman:  Immune to all items, vote out, and night actions
Heart Container:  Special item in which you can protect yourself or another player from a night action.
Hammer:  Your vote counts twice
Metal Box:  Minus 2 votes against you during the tally.  Metal box ends before night actions so you can be attacked.
Rally X Flag:  You make a public claim about a person's identity and use the Rally X Flag.  If you are right about the claim...the next day whether you live or die that role will be exposed.
Smash Ball:  If the person you voted for is voted out.  Then you can pick one other player to be voted out. 
Freezie:  Cancels one players vote...and if that player used an item will cancel that item too.  Does not stop night actions.

Pokeballs will do a random effect like one of the items above...even Smash Ball

These items are pretty powerful, so I would make the items only show up once per game...and players can pick which day to use them.  If the player is killed with an item not using it...that item is lost from the game. 

You were pretty much spot on with 2 of my ideas, the starman and very close with metal box. The rest are interesting but I think I'm going to stick with my plan.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 05:46:39 PM by Khushrenada »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 01:49:11 PM »
The Game's Started Khush.  I don't see any rules here.

Look again. Just not in the Item section since that isn't complete yet.

So what does each role actually do?  I've seen different definitions in some places and (first time playing here) would like to be clear about what powers are available.

True. So, I've detailed them all out. If any player still has questions about the roles, feel free to ask them here or shoot me a pm.

They should just know who they are. Why does the host have to lead them by the hand and do all the work for them? Lazy mafia......

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 03:31:06 PM »

True. So, I've detailed them all out. If any player still has questions about the roles, feel free to ask them here or shoot me a pm.
Super clear - thanks!
NNID: ejamer

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 03:40:42 PM »
Is there any inactivity rules?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 05:50:47 PM »
Is there any inactivity rules?

No. I believe I've given plenty of incentive to be active by having items and acquiring them by voting. At the same time, if a player wants to lay low, I feel that is still a valid strategy. Since it means they will get less reward for doing so, that seems fair enough to me. And if a player doesn't show up or play, I still feel that it is the responsibility of the remaining players to deal with it and take care of that situation.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 01:15:59 AM »
Because inactivity has never been an issue in a khushrenada game, amirite?

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 01:23:19 AM »
Don't hate the game; hate the player(s)