Author Topic: Gamecube Internet  (Read 12951 times)

Offline New_link

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Gamecube Internet
« on: March 12, 2003, 12:54:23 PM »
ok many ppl talked about this subject and many are still talking but my point is that when nintendo leader Miyamoto announced the gamecube if i remember they announced a good online playing and all they have is PSO and you have to pay 9$ US/month(!!!)....im not complaining, i love the gc but look at xbox...i dont say gamecube should have the same thing and neihter say that i want a xbox live where you have to pay 50$/year...it would just be great if you just buy the internet adapter like ps2 and then just not paying anything else...but the bad thing its that it is like that for the gc too but theres no good games online...i dont know if Miyamoto wanted an online experince or not but its seems that he did and didnt...newayz hope it will be better and i enjoy playing gc even without onling gaming....
To be forgotten is worse than death-FF9

Offline nintendofan

• View Profile
Gamecube Internet
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2003, 01:07:20 PM »
this is so going to be locked. if you dont want to pay for phantasy star online dont play online. there is a great  multiplayer mode too ya know. i still love one player games even with online.

Offline Epitaph

• View Profile
Gamecube Internet
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2003, 01:08:57 PM »
Although xbox live may look promissing I heard that the 50$ a year doesn't cover other company costs like phantasy star you will still be paying 9$ a month over the 50$ a year. Nintendo themselves stated they didn't want to charge people for their own games if their online if other company's choose to they can. Got it good hope your happy with what you got

Offline New_link

• View Profile
Gamecube Internet
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2003, 01:12:37 PM »
hey dont get me wrong...i love nintendo and im happy with just PSO but i mean if nintendo would launch more online games it would be even better and they would even get more gc users....and i PSO is not really my game....i would like to see Animal Crossing 2 online or Mario Kart or F-Zero...stuffs like that...

Offline Uncle Ed

• View Profile
Gamecube Internet
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2003, 01:16:37 PM »
I got X-Box Live. Here's my review.

It sucks balls.

All the good games get old fast. And when I say "good games" I mean "MechAssault." Everything else for it is retarded or too unstable to have any fun. (And I'm serious, this is no bias. I love my X-Box, but it's online money-sucking-online-offspring is horrible.)

X-Box Live only proves that consoles shouldn't touch the Internet, at least not in this day and age.  
Playing it Bogart.

Offline New_link

• View Profile
Gamecube Internet
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2003, 01:17:50 PM »
LOL!

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
Gamecube Internet
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2003, 02:13:27 PM »
Well uncle Ed i have to tell you this, good job on telling the truth. I think online gaming on consoles should be good but.... be launched by alot of well rounded titles. The only reason Nintendo released it so Sega would release PSO on its initial launch. But I like Nintendo's online strat launch a well rounded number of games that would support the modem adapters then support and advertise it and let the people be happy and not bitch about it.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Nintega

• View Profile
Gamecube Internet
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2003, 04:11:28 PM »
This happened with the Dreamcast.  Most, if not all, of the online games became boring within months.  You couldn't even find players to play with.  And that will be a problem when you're paying an annual or monthly fee and there's nobody to play with.  It's not a bad thing to have online gaming on the console but don't let it take away from those single or multiplayer gaming.  I'm not knocking online console gaming.  I actually have a PS2 broadband adapter and the only games I've tried are ATV Offroad Fury and Madden 2003 and that was just to try it out.  Never touched it again.  When broadband replaces narrowband and when all games can be played online, that'll be the right time to start.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Gamecube Internet
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2003, 04:29:46 PM »
yes, im kinda on the opinion of stay away from online consoles, but then most games i like wouldn't really work online (baring pokemon, which if done right would fully change my opinon of online consoles )

pc's are quicker and easier to access online gameing with, and you would be hard put to not be able to find a clone of what ever game you wanted to play online on console, there are that many fps' around, all pretty much as good as each other

i do find it interesting that uncle ed says that xbawx live isnt really stable, given its bband only, ohwell not my problem i dont own an xbawx

also, its good to hear that nintendo dont want to charge to play the games, thats a load off my mind should they do decide to go online (naturally i would have a looky, see if my opionin changes) cause im going to start playing everquest, and well, i couldn't really afford alot of p2p games

Gamecube Internet
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2003, 04:36:58 PM »

Originally posted by: Uncle Ed
I got X-Box Live. Here's my review.

It sucks balls.

All the good games get old fast. And when I say "good games" I mean "MechAssault." Everything else for it is retarded or too unstable to have any fun. (And I'm serious, this is no bias. I love my X-Box, but it's online money-sucking-online-offspring is horrible.)

X-Box Live only proves that consoles shouldn't touch the Internet, at least not in this day and age.

oh my GOD! Someone OTHER than me thinks online gaming is crap? I'm not a freak! Yay!

Offline cyrus420

• View Profile
Gamecube Internet
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2003, 05:45:33 PM »
just the X-box online gaming is crap. PC online gaming on the other hand, is the exact opposite. the only PC games i own are online games (cept for age of mythology, but it has online multiplayer too.) have you guys heard of starwars galaxies? it's going to be awesome on the PC. the X-box and the PS2 are getting their own versions of the game. and since the game is being made by sony, i'm going to assume that the PS2 version will be nice, and the X-box version will be, not so nice.
HTML code is not permitted. Special symbols permit some HTML functionality.

Offline JP

• View Profile
Gamecube Internet
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2003, 06:27:16 PM »
wow! I thought this was going to be a sucky topic, but good points were made & everything has stayed sensible so far. Congratulations on a good topic with a good conversation.

btw, my opinion is that I haven't even liked PC online gaming that I've tried, so console gaming does not appeal to me at all.
JP

Offline Scyth3r

• View Profile
Gamecube Internet
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2003, 10:11:22 PM »
You may not like online gaming but many do.   It should always be AT LEAST and OPTION on a popular multiplayer game like Mario Kart or Animal Crossing.

Offline Tael

• View Profile
Gamecube Internet
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2003, 12:54:45 AM »
Scyth3r - Online gaming shouldn't just be an option to replace a human player with another controller though. If that's what people really want, they don't need online play, they need friends.

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
Gamecube Internet
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2003, 01:36:50 AM »
What makes you all think you should get to play online for free? Someone has to pay for servers, techs, set up and so many more costs that it isnt even funny, and yet you think it should all be free?
I have no problem at all paying as much as $25 a month for online play, as long as it is done right. You want something, you want it good, you better expect to pay for it.
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Gamecube Internet
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2003, 02:35:25 AM »

Originally posted by: thecubedcanuck
What makes you all think you should get to play online for free? Someone has to pay for servers, techs, set up and so many more costs that it isnt even funny, and yet you think it should all be free?
I have no problem at all paying as much as $25 a month for online play, as long as it is done right. You want something, you want it good, you better expect to pay for it.

I'd have to agree with thecubedcanuck on this one. Somebody has to pay for the servers, the only reason a lot PC online gaming is free is because alot of the gamers themselves provide servers.....and it isn't cheap. My friend has a Business cable connection for his server....I won't even begin to tell you what his monthly bill is. Why business cable you ask, well he needs a static IP for his server so he's paying $120 a month for it. I thought my cable connection was expensive.......jeez....well at least his is faster. Since on consoles gamers wont be able to provide "free" servers, you will have to pay. If you aren't paying it probably won't be that good. Thats why Sega lost so much money with Seganet on DC it was completely free. PSO cost nothing to play on line, while it was cool and I enjoyed it......I can't imagine the amount money the lost each month maintaining the servers.....

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline WesDawg

• View Profile
Gamecube Internet
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2003, 04:51:39 AM »
I have no real strong desire for online play either. Mostly cause I figure I'll either hate it, or it will consume my life. Neither is really something I want right now. Anyways, with the talk about server costs, I have to wonder how M$ is surviving right now? I read the Perrin Kaplin interview at IGN and he said they're just loosing money like crazy. Anyways, I think it's becoming more apparent that Nintendo wasn't lying when they said there was no money in online right now.

Offline Kai

• View Profile
Gamecube Internet
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2003, 07:31:28 AM »
I would rather play online for free with my PC. A lot of game companies make their game servers free, as do a lot of ISP's as part of their enticement to join.

As for Cube games, I am happy to play mario kart et al with the SP game and friends.

The montly fee with XBox Live might be warrented, but it isn't going to be my online system of choice when I can play better online games on my PC for free.  

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
Gamecube Internet
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2003, 08:42:15 AM »
I have always been annoyed at people who become angry when game companies ask for money to provide an online service.  A lot of people, especially here in American, don't realize how much this stuff costs.  Servers are not free, bandwidth is not free, workforce is not free.  These games don't simply run on magic, they are run by people who need to bring home a pay check.  I DO demand good costomer service when I pay to play, though.  The service in Everquest was atrocious, one big reason I stopped sending my 9.95 then 12.95 a month.  

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
Gamecube Internet
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2003, 10:41:41 AM »

Anyways, with the talk about server costs, I have to wonder how M$ is surviving right now? I read the Perrin Kaplin interview at IGN and he said they're just loosing money like crazy.
Apparently many financial experts believe Microsoft could lose close to $2 billion on XBox Live by the end of this year.  I don't see how this investment by Microsoft is even close to worth it.  Then again, they are pretty secure in the money department over at Microsoft Headquarters.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Hybrid Hunter

• First title that's onrine
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Gamecube Internet
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2003, 11:12:49 AM »
Gamespy is now a Gamecube Developer!
So now if a 3rd party wants to have online features Gamespy can do it for them!!

Link- planetgamecube.com  

Offline New_link

• View Profile
Gamecube Internet
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2003, 01:42:20 PM »
thx everyone for posting...constructive opinions no flames like on other forums...good =D...personally i dont really care if there's going to be many games online or not...im happy with  Zelda: The WW, Animal Crossing and the game that are coming...F-Zero, Mario Kart....but i would be EVEN more happy with cool online games...thx again for the comments...

Offline Scyth3r

• View Profile
Gamecube Internet
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2003, 03:04:18 PM »

Originally posted by: Tael
Scyth3r - Online gaming shouldn't just be an option to replace a human player with another controller though. If that's what people really want, they don't need online play, they need friends.

I'm sorry but unlike you many of us are busy and have lives, and simply cannot meet up with friends always.   Of course I much prefer human interaction and playing with friends as its much funner, but having the option of playing online is great.  Furthermore, guess what.. playing online with a friend is still fun!  

Offline Zschokke24

• View Profile
Gamecube Internet
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2003, 03:22:24 PM »
What about this new keyboard coming to the states? It looks like id much rather have the ASCII keyboard cuz of the controller on the sides. this one doesnt have anything on the sides. so does that mean u hafta put down your controler to type? that would be dumb
" A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever" - Shigeru Miyamoto

Offline AERO

• View Profile
Gamecube Internet
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2003, 03:23:31 PM »
Your the first person I've seen that doesn't like XBL. Never the less this is now gonna be used from now on when ever online gaming is brought up, cause people are gonna start saying "oh I heard xbox live isn't good" and stuff based on this to prove a point. Sad I know.