Author Topic: About time for another Wave Race... Wii U?  (Read 6007 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
About time for another Wave Race... Wii U?
« on: March 03, 2012, 02:47:00 PM »
Hey guys, I remember just how much I LOVED Wave Race 64. I missed out on Blue Storm(was that as good as 64?), but I think that it's high time this Nintendo franchise made a triumphant return, and what better as a showcase for the Wii U's graphical prowess?

What do you guys all think? Do you think it could secretly be in development, and who do you think could be making it? I originally thought Retro, since obviously they're Nintendo's go-to second party right now, but maybe Monster games makes more sense?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Re: About time for another Wave Race... Wii U?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 02:59:46 PM »
I owned 64 and I think I owned Blue Storm, but I remember being not too fond of either of them only because I found them pretty difficult with too few tracks.

I suppose now a'days I could wrap my head around controlling the vehicles properly. Despite that I am looking forward to a new Wave Race, and Tendoboy just jogged my memory.

-Lots of courses
-Tablet or Motion Plus options
-More than 4 different characters to race as.
-Mii's an option only.
-Did tricks do anything for gameplay in the old games? Points, speed? If not let them be worthwhile with risk/reward.
- Online with as many racers as possible without it messing up gameplay.
- Jet skis, dolphins, orcas as a means to race or maybe as different modes of play.

Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 03:10:26 PM »
If I recall correctly in the 64 version tricks built up a boost meter?

I think this is the sort of game that could benefit from being capable of only being played on a Wii U Tablet if necessary. Or if they used both the Tablet and the Wii U Screen, then there's a couple things they could do. The player could play on the big screen and get a sort of rear-view mirror on their tablet, or a track map/ui readout. Or maybe they could play completely on the tablet and the tv could get a sort of cinematic display mode for anyone watching.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 03:52:22 PM »
I loved Blue Storm. The graphics, and gameplay were intense. I would love to see a Wave Race game for the Wii U too. I would vote for Next Level Games to make it.

On the subject of GC games, what about another 1080 Avalanche game. Racing the avalanche was so awesome.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 09:29:40 PM »
I really want a new Wave Race.  I thought the N64 game was one of the best racing games created.  Blue Storm was too difficult. 

I would love for them to have more variety in the racing, and make it easier...I didn't like how easy it was to end your run. 

1080 Avalanche could be fun too.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 09:47:44 PM »
Wouldn't be surprised if Monster eventually makes a new Wave Race since they seem to be Nintendo's lesser known racing series developer now.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 12:44:56 PM »
Just saw a rumor that these games, one or the other, might be in development now.

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/03/04/nintendo-software-technology-developing-a-new-game/
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 01:53:23 PM »
I'm pretty sure the choice of games listed is pure speculation, especially if you read the source post.

It could just be Mario vs DK: Minis March to the Beat 3D for all we know.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 03:56:29 PM »
I loved Blue Storm. And I can't see how they could make it better, but I'll let them try.

It's a great genre of racing that really hasn't been touched upon by many developers.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Hey Einstein!

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 11:39:50 AM »
Couldn't agree with the thread title more.
I loved both Wave Race games and I would take more in whatever flavour Nintendo see fit to commission. But I think it would work really nicely on 3DS with some street pass features, so that would be my first choice.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 12:26:23 PM »
Both a new Wave Race and a new 1080 game would be awesome.  I'd love to see the water as realistic as possible and allow weather effects to be as calm as a 5am morning that is perfect for fishing, to a class 5 hurricane.  I know racing in that would be unrealistic, but that's what games are for.  I'd love to randomly be pulled into the vortex that might destroy your racer, fling you out of bounds, drop you to the back of the pack or even catapult you to first place.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 01:31:17 PM »
I'd love to randomly be pulled into the vortex that might destroy your racer, fling you out of bounds, drop you to the back of the pack or even catapult you to first place.

Blue Storm > Blue Shell

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 05:08:03 PM »
I have good memories of Wave Race: Blue Storm partially because I got for only $20 new because of some temporary pricing goof at EB. It was probably my fourth or fifth Gamecube title.  Weather effects are one of those things that can really improve with better hardware so it would be a great fit for Wave Race.

Though Wave Race is hard to control and that's part of the design.  It's a game one has to spend time learning.  That doesn't jive with Nintendo's casual philosophy.  So a good Wave Race is not going to be like Mario Kart.  A good Wave Race would be very clearly for core gamers only.  It was never a very accessible game.

Knowing Nintendo they would probably replace the characters with Miis and dumb down the controls to make it easier for the blue ocean crowd to get into it.  I would rather Wave Race stay dead and buried than to be brought back like that.

Bring back Wave Race... if done right.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 01:40:01 AM »
My favorite parts were either zig-zagging on calm as glass water or timing a jump on a giant wave to clear a shortcut. I hated the narrow passages of the city levels. That I could do without.

Oh and I also loved how each lap the tide either rose or sunk, making for a pretty much entirely different course.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 10:19:31 PM »
The N64 game was amazing, one of my favorite N64 games.  The game was definitely lacking in courses but the courses that were there were really good.  I still go back and play it once in a while for old times sake.  The graphics may not be much by today's standards but for the technology of the time, the game had a great look to it.  I don't know why but I didn't get around to buying Blue Storm until late in the Gamecube's life when I got it used for $6 or so.  It's good but it didn't seem to quite have the same magic as the original.  I was a little disappointed that there wasn't a version made for Wii, it seems like a game that could have been a good fit for motion controls if done well.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 11:55:15 PM »
The problem with Wave Race was never the controls...the controls are quite intuitive and just feel wonderful.  The I didn't even have a problem with slalom style races.  I did have a problem with some of the tracks being too small and too easily to be thrown out of bounds from a crash and you can't get back in. 

I think the game would be better with bigger races, and a variety of races.  For instance having a wipe out race where you are not just trying win the race but actively knock the other player off their Jet Ski via hitting them or making waves that crash them...you can earn points that contribute to your ranking. 

Same concept with tricks could be done like the SSX games...and in matches with extreme weather conditions perhaps take the buoys out and just have it a straight race verse the weather elements.   

Offline Miyamoto

• Only person correctly capable of predicting the Switch's demise
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 06:56:57 PM »
I love the Wave Race games. I remember at the time thinking the GC version was best looking game at the point in time. Would rather see a new game on the 3DS rather than WiiU. Wonder if they could use the same engine as the a possible new F-Zero game?