Author Topic: SUPER SMASH BROS BRAWL - The New Megathread  (Read 348645 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
RE: Super Smash Bros. Brawl: The Megathread
« Reply #1825 on: August 02, 2007, 10:23:50 PM »
I already mentioned Palutena. Stop stealing my observations.

She's kind of transparent in the picture which makes me think "Help me, Obi Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope." You know, except with Pit.

From the picture of her on wikipedia, I can see the makings of a playable character with a unique moveset. Then again, they could just make it all up like they did with most of the other characters.

And I still say the antagonists should be the fighting polygon team/wire frames. They're cooler and would fit in perfectly with the series.

Offline anubis6789

• famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Super Smash Bros. Brawl: The Megathread
« Reply #1826 on: August 02, 2007, 10:29:37 PM »
To those who are pessimistic about online all I have to say is that if Yu Suzuki and the rest of AM2 can get VF5 online to their satisfaction for the 360, then it should not be too hard for the equally driven, at least in my opinion, Masahiro Sakurai and the talented folks at Sora to get 4-player with items on most stages to work online for SSBB.

As far as the update is concerned; holy hell it is efing awesome. Looks like multiple enemies on screen, insane moving platforms, and some sort of story is thrown in too.

Originally posted by: Arbok
Anyway, is anyone else getting the Ganon vibe from the enemy above here?

Will be interesting to see what characters are, I guess, behind the things that happen in Adventure mode... and what it might be like, if at all different, when one plays as Metaknight or something there.

I do not get a Ganon vibe at all, the pig face is too round. To me it looks like something possibly having to do with Pigma from StarFox Command, or maybe it is an invention of The Pig Mask Army from Mother 3, which could fit considering the factory-like background.

Originally posted by: Arbok
Okay, here is my big question:

Does anyone have any insight on whose arm that might be in the shot? Might be someone obvious that I'm overlooking, but nothing springs to mind.

That is probably Palutena, like Adrock and Mashiro said. Here is a weired little theory that I came up with, which probably will not happen: What if Palutena's face looks like ZSS's face, and Pit helps Samus because she thinks that she is Palutena. It wouldmake sense considering that Metroid and Kid Icarus are sibling games, running on the same engine, produced by the same producer, have the same composer, etc. Like I said though, just my personal theory.    
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: August 02, 2007, 10:31:06 PM »
ARe those creatures dropped out of the ship in the latest trailer from a game?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: August 02, 2007, 10:35:55 PM »
Not that I know of. I'm sure if they were, someone somewhere in the world would've picked up on it.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: August 02, 2007, 10:37:44 PM »
They remind me slightly of chibi-robo
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #1830 on: August 03, 2007, 01:59:26 AM »
Sandbag Junior...

I called it... There was a turtle in the update.

This looks to be like it is going to be a fun romp.  I hope they had played Odin Sphere.  That would rock if the story did the whole timeline thing with different characters like they did.  Even though this looks excellent I hope the two Melee modes still come back.

The little trailer thing seemed to indicate that it was common for competitors to be untrophied afterwards so, I'm thing Sandbag Jr from the Phozon is the rule breaker.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1831 on: August 03, 2007, 02:07:44 AM »
This is the single greatest update in the game.  In Melee I mostly played adventure mode, because gathering friends to play the series was hard...I guess we are all growing too busy.

I was expecting a huge upgrade to the Adventure mode...because Melee just did not do it right, but I wasn't expecting anything this grand.  AWESOME, INCREDIBLE...and sky-rockets this game beyond MUST HAVE into if you own a Wii and do not own this game a curse should be cast upon you for all eternity.

Some many great things with this update.

1)Confirmed Adventure mode which is a complete side scrolling adventure mode playable with all characters, but do you get a choice this time around or are levels setup for individual characters?  I hope the later so that levels can be designed to take advantage of each characters unique abilities.

2)A newly confirmed character.  Yes, we now know Princess Peach is playable.  With Ike and Peach our list or characters is already at 15 or 16 with no clones at all.  And we still have classic characters to confirm and we still have hidden characters to confirm.  

3)A real story to the game complete with CGI cut scenes.  This is surprising because Nintendo doesn't usually do this, yet here we see it being used throughout the adventure mode.  

4)Bill, just a side note...the animation provided is the end of that initial tease, so I (as along as many others) were right when we argued that Mario saving Kirby's life was not the event threatening the world or even against the world's rules.  

5)This game needs to be released ASAP...I can't wait anymore.  Nintendo you better give us a special show for the press soon allowing them to play the heck out of this game and give us impressions.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1832 on: August 03, 2007, 02:19:23 AM »
The thing attacking Samus looks more Star Fox villain than gannon.

And Pap64:  that is a brilliant idea for Peach's final Smash.  I would love to see a mood attack from her.  It could actually be random, and they could have her mood hearts float around her rather quickly and then player pushes A to activate and the one in front of her is her mood.  

Her Final Smash would either:

Rage:  Burn with a huge pillar of fire
Gloom:  Sweep players away with a flood of tears
Calm:  Heal herself 100% (Because one of her emotions does that
or...
Joy:  Peach turns into a spastic crazy tornado slightly controllable by the player and insta-Smashes characters she touches.  (Think Super faster Hammer)

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: August 03, 2007, 02:19:36 AM »
I'm almost thinking that Nintendo will release this game like a wild cat out of cage.  No real warning.  With all the hype in just the hardcore circles the game is going to probably move a ton of copies from the get go, Nintendo will have plenty for sure.  Actually I wouldn't be to surprise if the initial run was close to a 1:2 ratio to the number of Wii's sold because Disc don't go bad.  They give us the information we need by the blog updates in a controlled format.  Not ruining the surprise.  While on the flipside they can focus on MP3 and Mario Galaxy which in all reality probably needs some more reassuring with the public the Smash does.

Smash will need to be word of mouth to get non-gamers in and people who don't already know about it, yes you two, there, under the  rock.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1834 on: August 03, 2007, 02:52:47 AM »
I think the people arguing that Brawl's split focus could hurt the overall design of the game are forgetting some important facts.

1)The original director of the series is back and was able to use the original source code from Hal to help jump start production...this will have immediately helped his team design a new game engine or tweak and perfect the old Engine saving huge amounts of development time.

2)The team that is designing Brawl is huge.  I don't remember the exact number but is was like a 100 people wasn't it?  That tells me that Sakurai will be able delegate the team into different areas.  One could be working solely on the Multi-Player and character balance.  One team could have complete focus on Adventure mode.  And then a technical team could be working to stabilize online battle modes.

To me I do not waste time assuming no announcement means negative announcement.  I think the reason Sakurai and Nintendo did not announce anything about Brawl or have it playable is because Sakurai wanted control of the information release in his blog, and wants continually build hype and excitement for the game.  

Just as easily as you all say the online multi-player is not a feature because it has not been mentioned yet, I can assume that not only is online multi-player a feature but so is CO-OP adventure mode online, and special event battles.  I have no evidence supporting that, but neither do you the other way.

I say Nintendo needs to be given more faith than we are currently giving them.  Nintendo knows that this is one of the largest and most important franchises, and went out of their way to get the original director that had left Nintendo to do the sequel.  We know he is dedicated 2 years solely on this game, and has a huge development staff creating the game.  We know that Nintendo has spared no expenses and courted several of the top game composers in Japan to work on Brawl's music, creating a collective list of composers never before compiled for a single game.

Have faith in Sakurai to create one last Opus for Nintendo until he moves on to independent game design.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: August 03, 2007, 04:02:34 AM »
Wow...Just...WOW...This game is going to be more incredible than I ever thought possible...

It really does look like there will be different story paths for each character, which will definitely encourage replayability...And just...WOW! =D

(Yay, finally new Peach is revealed!  Seems she's closer to her canon-style than Melee, but it's a nice balance...)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: August 03, 2007, 04:17:54 AM »
It would be beyond awesome if the adventure mode had the characters fighting the enemies of the other characters.

In other words, Samus gets warped into Kirby's world/universe (Dreamland?) and has to fight off King Dedede and all those minions.  Star Fox pops into Angel World (Angel Land? Can't remember...) and has to shoot down some Egg Plant Wizards.  Metaknight ends up in  Hyrule.

That would easily, easily make this one of the best games of all time.  Basically creating a gigantic 2D side scroller mismatch.

Like all the villians somehow got together and stole their trophies.  Maybe it's like each character's soul.  So they have to go to those other universes to get their trophy.  (Something like all the Disney villians in Kingdom Hearts cooperating into their own Legion of Doom.)

You'd have to fight your way out with each character and reclaim your trophy.

/super wishful need-new-pants thinking
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: August 03, 2007, 04:22:50 AM »
Well the pictures already show Fox fighting a Hammer Bro., Pit dodging Bullet Bills, etc, so no worries there!  Who knows about boss characters for now...

Offline Strell

• View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: August 03, 2007, 04:30:12 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
Well the pictures already show Fox fighting a Hammer Bro., Pit dodging Bullet Bills, etc, so no worries there!  Who knows about boss characters for now...

Melee's adventure mode had something like this.  I'm talking about something far more indepth, where the stages initially have to be beaten by a particular character.  So instead of running through the 10 stages or whatever Melee did with all the characters, initially you have to, say, sneak through a MGS-like facility with Mario.  After you clear it, you can go back with Snake (and all the other characters).  Maybe the conditions could change slightly given which character you are using.  So there's an individual mission adventure mode for each character.

Basically I'm envisioning something that could very well be its own game independently.  Hugely ambitious, and I doubt that would be possible.  

At the least I'd love to hear that the engine gets used for something like that.  That would be dream come true.

$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: August 03, 2007, 04:35:27 AM »
Ah, so character-specific challenges...I'd almost think they'd save something like that for a new Event Mode, or something of the like...Nice idea, though...

On a separate note, after looking at the screens again, I'm hoping for Palutena to be a playable character (or at least an Assist Trophy)... =D

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: August 03, 2007, 04:38:04 AM »

Originally posted by: Strell

Melee's adventure mode had something like this.  I'm talking about something far more indepth, where the stages initially have to be beaten by a particular character.  So instead of running through the 10 stages or whatever Melee did with all the characters, initially you have to, say, sneak through a MGS-like facility with Mario.  After you clear it, you can go back with Snake (and all the other characters).  Maybe the conditions could change slightly given which character you are using.  So there's an individual mission adventure mode for each character.

Basically I'm envisioning something that could very well be its own game independently.  Hugely ambitious, and I doubt that would be possible.  

At the least I'd love to hear that the engine gets used for something like that.  That would be dream come true.

I don't think thats far fetched at all.  Especially since they made the comment that this will all be on the one disc.  Its probably pretty expansive if he felt obligated to say that.  Though I think my Odin Sphere style dream is out the window... That would have been cool too.

Though just think about how much content they where able to fit with Melee.  Now they have what 5, 6 times the space and twice the horsepower.  Should be interesting.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: August 03, 2007, 04:44:16 AM »
Hey, don't forget that we need room for Event Mode, and hopefully the return of BOARD THE PLATFORMS! =D

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: August 03, 2007, 04:51:02 AM »
I think they can all co-exist.  I'm sure they'll be more than a little reuse of assets.  Plus compression can still be used.  Especially for the new Adventure mode because their is a clear set path a little bit of the processor could be used during matches to get things ready for the next one.  I be surprised if the stages for multiplayer weren't compressed initially.  Even devoting one full Optical Disk (GCN Media) to this new Adventure mode would still allow for plenty of room for everything else.  I mean its not like all Gamecube games that looked nice were capped at 2 hours of original content.

Offline bosshogx

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #1843 on: August 03, 2007, 05:01:54 AM »
Joystiq is reporting that Eiji Aonuma revealed Gannondorf and Shiek as playable characters in Brawl.  This apparently happened during an interview about Phantom Hourglass.  Here's the link

Not to much of a surprise if it's true.  Although, that should bring a smile to Shiek players.  How will Shiek be implemented?  Transform from Zelda or just playable on her own.
www.mondaynightcrew.com
A video game webcomic that's updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933
Planet Puzzle League 180490-316211
Advance Wars 171922-891988

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: August 03, 2007, 05:08:07 AM »
We need to figure out where these various enemies being fought in the pictures are coming from.

I'm certain there's a clue here somewhere...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Strell

• View Profile
« Reply #1845 on: August 03, 2007, 05:11:32 AM »
Someone posted a screen somewheres where they magnified a small blue box just to the right of ZSS's head.

When magnified, it looks a lot like Sonic's head.

/fair warning

$10 Bet with Khushrenada

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: August 03, 2007, 05:19:55 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
We need to figure out where these various enemies being fought in the pictures are coming from.

I'm certain there's a clue here somewhere...

Are you talking about how the Fruit F***ers seem to form from the purple smoke things dropped from the Halberd, or are you asking which games the enemies came from?

Personally, the evil sheep looks familar, but I don't think I've seen those blue-faced helmet-wearing sword-wielding tentacle-having things anywhere before.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: August 03, 2007, 05:22:04 AM »
I'd swear that the giant ram creature is from Jungle Beat, because the style is near-identical...

Offline OcarinaLink34

• View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: August 03, 2007, 05:32:14 AM »

Originally posted by: Ceric

Originally posted by: Strell

I don't think thats far fetched at all.  Especially since they made the comment that this will all be on the one disc.  Its probably pretty expansive if he felt obligated to say that.  Though I think my Odin Sphere style dream is out the window... That would have been cool too.

Though just think about how much content they where able to fit with Melee.  Now they have what 5, 6 times the space and twice the horsepower.  Should be interesting.

yea well the bosses will probably be a villain from each of the characters history..cause that is wat Sakurai said that the mode was based on each characters history..so hopefully its gonna be like what im thinkin, because he said he wanted to have basically every person a rival...or villain in the game..plus(we dnt have enough)
What in the...?!

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: August 03, 2007, 07:16:43 AM »
From GoldenPhoenix's Sig:

Let me ask you? What if they axe the feature, what will you do then?
Mashire "I'll be very mad."

I think I made it into another sig! (Thanks Brawl!) Except my name is spelled wrong.