Author Topic: SUPER SMASH BROS BRAWL - The New Megathread  (Read 348654 times)

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Super Smash Bros. Brawl: The Megathread
« Reply #1650 on: August 02, 2007, 12:40:39 PM »
No, I Quick Replied.. but I would just like to add.

Smash Brothers Melee has so much depth in it that Nintendo slapped new textures over current characters and call edit quits, not to mention that only a select few characters dominate at tournaments illustrating the balance problem the game has. Not to mention they raped Bowser and made him almost useless. It is kind of odd you complain about PS2's randomness when Melee is perhaps one of the most random games out there, it is like Nintendo threw a bunch of ideas in a blender and called it good. The game felt like a game built for people who like Nintendo games so they through in whatever idea they had and called it good.

I think there is a good reason why SMash isn't that respected outside of the Nintendo core and that is because it is more of a fanboi's wet dream then a complex and balanced fighter (even if the fans try to say it is). Smash Brothers is basically a dumbed down fighter that even a two year old could learn all the combos in, with items and a smattering of stages that don't follow simplistic designs, and even then don't match the creative and diversified stages of PS2 and hectic fun.
GP, that's quite possibly the most idiotic thing you have ever said on these forums. I've never known you to flamebait like that. You've had some amazing posts in the past which I have completely agreed with, but this.. it's just beyond belief.

Sorry about elongating this argument, this will be my last post on the matter.  
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #1651 on: August 02, 2007, 01:07:11 PM »
I'm locking this thread.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Super Smash Bros. Brawl: The Megathread
« Reply #1652 on: August 02, 2007, 01:08:32 PM »

Originally posted by: IceCold
No, I Quick Replied.. but I would just like to add.

Smash Brothers Melee has so much depth in it that Nintendo slapped new textures over current characters and call edit quits, not to mention that only a select few characters dominate at tournaments illustrating the balance problem the game has. Not to mention they raped Bowser and made him almost useless. It is kind of odd you complain about PS2's randomness when Melee is perhaps one of the most random games out there, it is like Nintendo threw a bunch of ideas in a blender and called it good. The game felt like a game built for people who like Nintendo games so they through in whatever idea they had and called it good.

I think there is a good reason why SMash isn't that respected outside of the Nintendo core and that is because it is more of a fanboi's wet dream then a complex and balanced fighter (even if the fans try to say it is). Smash Brothers is basically a dumbed down fighter that even a two year old could learn all the combos in, with items and a smattering of stages that don't follow simplistic designs, and even then don't match the creative and diversified stages of PS2 and hectic fun.
GP, that's quite possibly the most idiotic thing you have ever said on these forums. I've never known you to flamebait like that. You've had some amazing posts in the past which I have completely agreed with, but this.. it's just beyond belief.

Sorry about elongating this argument, this will be my last post on the matter.

I addressed all those points in later posts. The end.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: August 02, 2007, 01:11:11 PM »
Predictions for next Update:

Fire Emblem musical piece.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: August 02, 2007, 02:11:22 PM »
I'm going out on a limb and saying: Turtle.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: August 02, 2007, 02:12:18 PM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
I'm going out on a limb and saying: Turtle.

Godzilla will be revealed.

Offline anubis6789

• famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: August 02, 2007, 03:09:16 PM »

Originally posted by: Rachtman

Originally posted by: vudu

Originally posted by: anubis6789
I still hold out hope that Zelda transforms into uncursed Midna instead of Sheik while retaining all of the latter's moves and style. I think it could work.
I'm quoting this for BILL because he didn't believe me when I told him people were actually suggesting this idea.

And that sounds incredibly awkward to see happen, too.

I still stand by my belief that Sakurai will make Sheik a stand-alone character with an altered moveset and slightly nerfed abilities.  Anything to make those so-called "pros" wince a little.

I don't see see how my idea is any less viable then the idea for a separate Sheik. I mean Zelda and Midna did share their essences with each other in TP (man that just sounds horrible, why is my mind in the gutter?), did they not ? As for how Midna will keep Sheiks moves, the throwing blades could become shards of Twili energy, and the chain I can still see fitting with no modification. I still think that the most likely thing that will happen will be that Zelda will now transform into a redesigned Sheik.  
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: August 02, 2007, 04:44:36 PM »

Originally posted by: Rachtman
Anything to make those so-called "pros" wince a little.

Oh, you mean tourneyfags. Like Dylan_Tnga lulz.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline anubis6789

• View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: August 02, 2007, 05:07:28 PM »
I wonder if today's update is going to be something special, because, according to Wikipedia, Sakurai's birthday is August third. Just something to keep in mind I guess.

Something I have been meaning to bring up but keep forgetting about; does anyone else think that the "Warning! Challenger Approaching!" banner posted before the Ike update might mean that he is a hidden character, or could it just mean that Ike was completely unannounced up till that point? I wonder because part of me would actually liked to be surprised by hidden characters as I come across them, but the other part does not really care because I have always known of the hidden characters in each SSB long before I got to play the games, and would just like to know if maybe I should stop going to the site now.

In all actuality though, I am probably still going to check the Dojo everyday, regardless of the fact that they might be giving out info on secrets, so it really does not matter.  
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: August 02, 2007, 05:15:10 PM »

does anyone else think that the "Warning! Challenger Approaching!" banner posted before the Ike update might mean that he is a hidden character, or could it just mean that Ike was completely unannounced up till that point?

I think its the latter. At this point it would make little sense to reveal secret characters.

Also good find about his birthday maybe we will get a nice update today =D

Offline anubis6789

• View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: August 02, 2007, 05:27:22 PM »
Some new info I came across on Gamefaqs (shiver): it appears that in an interview with Eiji Aonuma by Game Informer (It seems that Billy was the conductor), that Aonuma said that his team worked on the designs for Link, Ganondorf, and, get this, Sheik for Sakurai for use in SSBB. I am pretty sure that this pretty much proves that Sheik will in fact be in, and probably redesigned (well there goes my hopes for uncursed Midna being Zelda's new transformation).

I would link to the article, because it is on Gameinformer.com, but I cannot remember the protocols for linking to another news site on this forum, and I would rather not break the rules.  

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: August 02, 2007, 05:56:00 PM »
What if *Gasp* Midna just became her own character? Why does she have to be a transformation of Zelda to be considered for the game?

Offline anubis6789

• View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: August 02, 2007, 06:03:46 PM »
I just do not think that uncursed Midna had enough screen time to be her own character.

If imp form Midna makes it in though I will be extremely sad.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #1663 on: August 02, 2007, 06:07:36 PM »
Midna needs to make it in the game, period. What form she takes doesn't really matter to me. I think she has more than enough magic related to her to make a fairly solid movelist from.

Also, thanks for passing on the news anubis, as I really wanted to Shiek return as part of Zelda and keep that transformation aspect of the character intact.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline OcarinaLink34

• View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: August 02, 2007, 06:10:40 PM »
yea well u got basically every update from Smash Bros DOJO..but do u even no what Smash Bros is?!....u didnt seem like it....?
What in the...?!

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1665 on: August 02, 2007, 06:12:25 PM »
You should just link to Game Informer and not worry about it.

I guess once this spreads Sheik and Ganondorf will just have to be announced. This pretty much confirms them.
Good find, BTW.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: August 02, 2007, 06:13:48 PM »

Also, thanks for passing on the news anubis, as I really wanted to Shiek return as part of Zelda and keep that transformation aspect of the character intact.

Yeah I second that motion.

Shiek is just pure bad-assness.

yea well u got basically every update from Smash Bros DOJO..but do u even no what Smash Bros is?!....u didnt seem like it....?

o_O

Edit: also from that interview

We’re working very closely with the team of Smash Bros. Brawl to make sure the characters look their best.

Mayhaps they will fix Zelda's wacky hair color before release?

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #1667 on: August 02, 2007, 06:16:20 PM »

Originally posted by: TVman

I guess once this spreads Sheik and Ganondorf will just have to be announced. This pretty much confirms them.
Good find, BTW.

Yep, and let's get a quote for the Smash question in particular:

Aonuma: I’ve been working with Sakurai for a very long time with this new Smash Bros., because the Wii came out and when discussion for a new Smash Bros. took place nobody could think of anyone other than Sakurai working on it. He was kind of the default, and I was very happy to hear that he would be working on it. Actually, my designers did work on the designs for Sheik and Link and Ganondorf. So they submitted the initial designs, and so it would fit in the Smash Bros. Brawl environment, they’ve had to tweak some of the designs. But Sakurai has brought those altered designs to NCL. We’re working very closely with the team of Smash Bros. Brawl to make sure the characters look their best.

It will be interesting to see what Ganondorf looks like. I personally hope it's sans his beard, ala how he looked in Ocarina/Melee, but that seems very unlikely given how the other two Zelda characters were updated to their Twilight look.  
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: August 02, 2007, 06:24:57 PM »
Maybe Ganondorf will be yet another sword wielding character (I hope so, him being based off of Captain Falcon was kinda lame in Melee).

Offline anubis6789

• View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: August 02, 2007, 06:29:30 PM »

Originally posted by: TVman

I thought about doing that but I am just one of those people who just likes to follow the rules, and when I do not know them, or remember them, I just do not do it.

Originally posted by: Arbok
It will be interesting to see what Ganondorf looks like. I personally hope it's sans his beard, ala how he looked in Ocarina/Melee, but that seems very unlikely given how the other two Zelda characters were updated to their Twilight look.

I personally love the TP Ganondorf design, in my opinion he is the best Ganondorf yet, and I hope that if he has his own move set in SSBB that he will use the Sword of Light. I like the contrast of an evil entity using a tool made of its antithesis.  

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #1670 on: August 02, 2007, 06:31:46 PM »

Originally posted by: Mashiro
Maybe Ganondorf will be yet another sword wielding character (I hope so, him being based off of Captain Falcon was kinda lame in Melee).

I loved my "heavy" Captain Falcon, personally, who was my favorite character to play as in Melee. Ganondorf is better suited as matching his attack capabilities from the Zelda games though. However, I would love it if someone carried the "heavy" Falcon torch, although with a few new moves to help separate the two more. I was actually hoping for either Black Shadow or Deathborn from the F-Zero series to take up that role, but both are pretty obscure...
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: August 02, 2007, 06:32:31 PM »

Originally posted by: Arbok
Midna needs to make it in the game, period. What form she takes doesn't really matter to me. I think she has more than enough magic related to her to make a fairly solid movelist from.

Just slap her texture on Zelda and Nintendo can call it good then, not like they haven't done it before but hey Nintendo doesn't add stuff just to make people happy regardless of it being a clone or not.    

Seriously I hope we can all agree that each character should have a unique moveset, I was severely dissapointed when Ganondorf was a clone. So come on Nintendo, you have the time, don't give us lazy characters!

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #1672 on: August 02, 2007, 06:33:07 PM »
I loved Ganondorf's TP design. He had a presence not even the OoT Ganondorf had.

I just wish they give him an actual moveset this time around. FFS he's the king of all evil! He has more than enough attacks!
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: August 02, 2007, 06:34:24 PM »

Originally posted by: pap64
I loved Ganondorf's TP design. He had a presence not even the OoT Ganondorf had.

I just wish they give him an actual moveset this time around. FFS he's the king of all evil! He has more than enough attacks!

I hope they keep his TP design, I thought that was the best looking Ganon. Or if they want to tick everyone off they could put his fat Wind Waker design in there.

Offline tiamat1990

• View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: August 02, 2007, 06:41:52 PM »
Wind Waker desgin...lol...Yeah I'm pretty much happy with his Twilight Princess design. He looked totally cool.